PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a ps3

tomobond875
17-12-08, 22:36
I know ive been a 360 fanboy recently, and I apologeize. (????)

Right, that out of the way.

I thinking of getting a ps3 in the January sales, and im just wondering if its worth it, 'coz i think it is. Having a PS3 AND 360 Means ill not have to upgrade console for ages. i like to have 360 exclusives, like forza, project gotham, so on and so on. But i cant resist Gran turismo 5, metal gear, littlebigplanet, home etc etc.... So, If you can, does any one have a rough idea on how much it may cost in sales? Just a basic, no extras neccesary. With littlebig planet. Any ideas? Coz im completly stumped.
Cheers, Tomo.

jjbennett
17-12-08, 22:38
Ps3 at the minute with an extra controller, game and some extras will be about 270, as for the Jan sales its anyones guess what the prices will be mate.

eBay after christmas will be flooded with things so that would be your best bet.

TRfan23
17-12-08, 22:44
Ps3 at the minute with an extra controller, game and some extras will be about 270, as for the Jan sales its anyones guess what the prices will be mate.

eBay after christmas will be flooded with things so that would be your best bet.

Are you saying so many people won't appreciate their presents, so they'll sell them on ebay double the price? LOL!

jjbennett
17-12-08, 22:57
Thats what i do if i get a naff present, some other bint will always want to buy crap.

Rivendell
17-12-08, 22:57
I don't think the PS3 prices will drop a considerable amount in the January sales, unfortunately.

irjudd
17-12-08, 23:47
Is Sony's PS3 Really a Sinking Ship?

CNN has declared Sony's PS3 "a sinking ship" (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/personal-tech/2008_12_sonys_ps3_a_sinking_ship_sales_plummet_sne .html) riffing off last Thursday's "plummeting" NPD sales results (http://www.pcworld.com/article/155388/november_sales_shock_wii_sells_over_2_million_unit s.html). CNN bases its gloomy diagnosis on Sony's sales plunge of 19 points, compared to sales in November 2007. That's a fair criticism, but it isolates a superficially negative statistic while ignoring the fact that this November only included two days of post-holiday sales (http://www.pcworld.com/article/155114/analyst_november_game_sales_up_7_per_cent.html) (11/28 - 11/29) compared to last year's eight total (11/23 - 11/30). I'm speculating here, but if you could adjust for that difference, it's very likely PS3 sales would have increased, however slightly, year-over-year.
What's more, Sony rightly points out that the PS3 has seen hardware sales grow 60% year-to-date. I realize the PS3 wasn't selling well in 2007, so that figure's less impressive than it sounds, but growth is growth, any way you slice it. What's more, look at PS3 and Xbox 360 units sold in total worldwide, and Sony pretty much throughout 2008 has actually been playing catchup.
Then there's the PlayStation brand overall, which when you factor in the PSP and PS2, topped 1 million units, more than the Xbox 360's 836,000. The PlayStation brand has in fact pretty easily muscled past the Xbox brand practically every month since the PS3's launch. Sony's margins on the PSP and PS2 are almost certainly better than the PS3's, so which company's actually been more profitable in overall unit sales is less obvious than it seems.
On the other hand, CNN's whacking the nail on the head when it raises the problem of the PlayStation 3's price. The recession's been on well and long enough for Sony to have reacted by now, and yet it's stubbornly clung to that $400 entry point. Had it dropped the PS3's price to $300 or even $350 it's a safe bet October and November's numbers would've tallied much more favorably. Both Microsoft and Sony have a solid stable of exclusives, and both have interesting companion services, but it's price and not NXE/Netflix or PlayStation Home that's deciding the battle at the moment.
Quick points...
CNN's right that the video-game industry isn't recession proof. Nothing is. The rest of us saying as much merely mean "recession-proof-so-far," which it clearly is compared to other ebbing economic indices.
CNN says the differences between Blu-ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50". I suppose that'd be true if your eyes are somehow genetically fixed at 720 x 480 (NTSC). For the rest of us, Blu-ray at even 720p (1280 x 720) with all its other commensurate upticks in sample rates and color quality is shockingly better than the visuals output of the average DVD.
And finally, "the PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console." Really? I guess CNN's not familiar (or perhaps just not partial to) exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, the original Resistance: Fall of Man (twice the game the sequel is, in my opinion), and MLB 08: The Show. When you're talking new unit sales, you count the whole history of notable exclusives, not just the last month or two of holiday attention-grabbers. Source (http://www.pcworld.com/article/155483/is_sonys_ps3_really_a_sinking_ship.html)

I thought that was an interesting article. Certain media outlets even think the PS3 is lame. :p

Assassino
17-12-08, 23:52
Get one you'll love it:)...but never as much as I love mine...my love is unconditional :hug:

But yeah get one...if you can afford it. :)

Flyin11
18-12-08, 00:02
I love mine as well but I have my own reasons for getting one and I use it for EVERYTHING...I play PS1, PS2, PS3 games on it and I watch my DVD's on it. It's my Entertainment Center.

I do have to agree with this though:

CNN says the differences between Blu-ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50". I suppose that'd be true if your eyes are somehow genetically fixed at 720 x 480 (NTSC).

I don't know...Maybe it's just my TV but I have a 46" Sony Projection that displays 1080i and I don't see any difference between Blu Ray and DVD. The sound is a lot better but the picture looks the same to me. I think if you have a TV over 50" and it's 1080p you'd defiantly see the difference because Blu Ray movies are in a bigger scaled format so if you play them on a huge TV like that, it doesn't stretch the picture and it looks fantastic. Where as if you tried a DVD on a 60" tv, the stretched picture won't look that good. I didn't get my PS3 to play Blu Ray movies anyways so I'm good to go :D

da tomb raider!
18-12-08, 00:03
I wouldn't bother if I were you. The PS3's a dreadful console if you ask me. A low number of units sold, low number of software sold, hardly any notable exclusives, horriffic design, expensive, inferior ports... the list goes on and on. It's the best console of this generation in my opinion, but that's not saying much. I suggest you wait until the PS4 comes out (given the failure of the PS3, I'd say you'll have to wait 2 or 3 years for it). Hopefully that'll be a better console than the PS3, and, if Sony have learnt from their mistakes this time round, it'll be fully backwards compatible with all previous PlayStation1-3 games, so you'll be able to play LittleBigPlanet and Gran Turismo on that, too.

Fallen.Angel
18-12-08, 00:59
An 80gb will cost you around $400....

IMO it's definitely worth it. Like you said, you could play LBP, MGS 4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Heavy Rain (once released), and so many more.

I love my PS3 with all my heart and soul. [random, but it had to be said] :D And think it's the best console out there. IMO.

ajrich17901
18-12-08, 01:34
all depends on if u can afford it, and what games you like as in preference. But if you can afford it i say go for it, best console on the market.

viper456
18-12-08, 01:40
stop debating it and just get up and go buy it! NOW! GO!

ivannnnn
18-12-08, 06:58
I wouldn't bother if I were you. The PS3's a dreadful console if you ask me. A low number of units sold, low number of software sold, hardly any notable exclusives, horriffic design, expensive, inferior ports... the list goes on and on. It's the best console of this generation in my opinion, but that's not saying much. I suggest you wait until the PS4 comes out (given the failure of the PS3, I'd say you'll have to wait 2 or 3 years for it). Hopefully that'll be a better console than the PS3, and, if Sony have learnt from their mistakes this time round, it'll be fully backwards compatible with all previous PlayStation1-3 games, so you'll be able to play LittleBigPlanet and Gran Turismo on that, too.

NOOO!!!!:p:o

Yes buy PS3! Period. Coz its very nice to play. :tmb: :)
I love it! Having 2 consoles are very exciting! :)

Kiss-Bite
18-12-08, 09:04
I love mine as well but I have my own reasons for getting one and I use it for EVERYTHING...I play PS1, PS2, PS3 games on it and I watch my DVD's on it. It's my Entertainment Center.

I do have to agree with this though:

CNN says the differences between Blu-ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50". I suppose that'd be true if your eyes are somehow genetically fixed at 720 x 480 (NTSC).

I don't know...Maybe it's just my TV but I have a 46" Sony Projection that displays 1080i and I don't see any difference between Blu Ray and DVD. The sound is a lot better but the picture looks the same to me. I think if you have a TV over 50" and it's 1080p you'd defiantly see the difference because Blu Ray movies are in a bigger scaled format so if you play them on a huge TV like that, it doesn't stretch the picture and it looks fantastic. Where as if you tried a DVD on a 60" tv, the stretched picture won't look that good. I didn't get my PS3 to play Blu Ray movies anyways so I'm good to go :D

The differences between Blu-ray & DVD are very obvious to me on my 52" Sony Bravia. The picture sharpness & colour & sound are a 100 times better then DVD.:D I'm always hoping for my favorite films to get released on Blu-ray as DVD just doesn't cut it anymore for me.:)

laralover_07
18-12-08, 09:35
I don't have a PS3 but I would say it has its good points and bad points.

Good: Built in Blu-ray. HD compatibility. Motion Control in controller.

Bad: Still the most expensive console out there. Not fully backwards compatible. ITS HUGE AND LOOKS LIKE A FOREMAN GRILL!!!

Kiss-Bite
18-12-08, 10:16
I actually think the PS3 itself is a very slick design, I love how reflective & mirrored mine is & it's completely silent when running. I'm quite lucky as my model is backward compatable as well.:)

Night Crawler
18-12-08, 11:49
i wouldn't bother if i were you. The ps3's a dreadful console if you ask me.

it's the best console of this generation in my opinion, but that's not saying much.

wtf.

da tomb raider!
18-12-08, 12:55
Bad: Still the most expensive console out there. Not fully backwards compatible. ITS HUGE AND LOOKS LIKE A FOREMAN GRILL!!!

:vlol:

wtf.

What I meant is that the PS3's a poor console in my opinion, but considering how bad the Wii and 360 are, it's still the best console of this generation.

viper456
18-12-08, 13:39
ITS HUGE AND LOOKS LIKE A FOREMAN GRILL!!!

Its not that much bigger than the 360 tbf.

:vlol:

What I meant is that the PS3's a poor console in my opinion, but considering how bad the Wii and 360 are, it's still the best console of this generation.

How is the 360 bad? :confused: Its a games console...you play games on it. That = mega good in my books.

da tomb raider!
18-12-08, 13:44
How is the 360 bad? :confused: Its a games console...you play games on it. That = mega good in my books.

It's unreliable for a start. It's also too online-based (much like the PS3), and doesn't have a very good variety of games. It's got poor backwards compatibility with original XBox games, too. Doesn't have much going for it if you ask me.

petujaymz
18-12-08, 13:47
Don't think about it, just do it.

:wve:

viper456
18-12-08, 15:22
It's unreliable for a start. It's also too online-based (much like the PS3), and doesn't have a very good variety of games. It's got poor backwards compatibility with original XBox games, too. Doesn't have much going for it if you ask me.

Some are unreliable. I have never had a problem with mine. My brother is a psycho too and hes smacked **** out of his and it still works (admittedly it makes a funny noise but the xbox gets kudos for lasting this long) You dont have to play online, I personally only have a few games I like to play online.

It has TONS of games :yik:

Backwards compatibility is a bit over rated too. I have a few old xbox games I play every now and then and they work fine :confused:

Night Crawler
18-12-08, 15:26

So why don't you like the Wii?

It's very reliable, it's also not very online based and has a very good variety of games. It's got superb backwards compatibility too.

;)

viper456
18-12-08, 15:29

It's very reliable, it's also not very online based and has a very good variety of games. It's got superb backwards compatibility too.

;)

It will be "gimmicky" probably :whi:

I miss the days when people just bought a console, played it and enjoyed it. :(

demonslayer
18-12-08, 15:35
Apparently there is going to be a huge price cut in march, so i would wait untill then and then think about getting one.

But yeah go for it, it's a very good console!

tomobond875
18-12-08, 15:40
Thanks everyone :hug: I think ill go for it. You guys really helped. :D Any reccomendations on games? (Apart from GT and LBP)

Night Crawler
18-12-08, 15:43
Thanks everyone :hug: I think ill go for it. You guys really helped. :D Any reccomendations on games? (Apart from GT and LBP)Uncharted & Metal Gear Solid 4 are must haves. :tmb:

Samsdad
18-12-08, 16:25
Apparently there is going to be a huge price cut in march, so i would wait untill then and then think about getting one.

But yeah go for it, it's a very good console!

I think a March price cut is just wishful thinking. Do you have a link to a source? Right now Sony just needs to hold the line and make some profit.

da tomb raider!
18-12-08, 17:51
Some are unreliable. I have never had a problem with mine. My brother is a psycho too and hes smacked **** out of his and it still works (admittedly it makes a funny noise but the xbox gets kudos for lasting this long)

Good for you, but I've never been that fortunate with my 360s.

You dont have to play online, I personally only have a few games I like to play online.

Of course you don't have to play online, but that's generally what the games are focused around. Single player modes are usually mediocre (Halo 3, for example) in such games IMO, which doesn't leave me with much.

It has TONS of games :yik:

I know it's got a fair amount of games, but most of them are all focused on action than anything else. There's too few RPGs, puzzle, platformers, to name three genres.

Backwards compatibility is a bit over rated too. I have a few old xbox games I play every now and then and they work fine :confused:

Sure, the original XBox games that the 360 can run work fine, but the 360 can only play a handful of those games. Considering it's so hard to get an original XBox these days, it'd be nice if the 360 could play all of the games.

;)

Personally I just don't like the control scheme. I grew up with joysticks and controllers, and I just can't get used to swinging a remote around. Other than that I think it's a decent console for the reasons you've mentioned (mind you, most of the games aren't up to much if you ask me...).

toxicraider
18-12-08, 17:59
They didn't drop last january so they probably won't this year, although there will be a price drop on all ps3s some time, probably soon.

Samsdad
18-12-08, 18:07
They didn't drop last january so they probably won't this year, although there will be a price drop on all ps3s some time, probably soon.

Again I would be leary about predicting any price cut on the PS3. Sony is having rough financial times and they need to get profitable.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={9236BB23-C823-40F7-9B2C-3A0C333A2177}&siteid=yhoof2

Sony may cut more jobs to survive downturn, president says

By Michael Kitchen
Last update: 8:25 a.m. EST Dec. 18, 2008Comments: 2
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Sony Corp. (SNE:sony corp adr new
News , chart , profile , more
Last: 20.36-0.42-2.02%

12:57pm 12/18/2008

SNE 20.36, -0.42, -2.0%) may make further restructuring moves, including adding more job cuts to its recent round of layoffs, according to a Kyodo news service interview with the company's President Ryoji Chubachi published Thursday. The Japanese firm said last week it would cut 16,000 jobs, but Chubachi said more steps -- including further lay-offs -- may be needed. "With only these measures, we cannot fully survive the current economic situation," he told Kyodo. Chubachi said business conditions are getting worse, with demand for its consumer appliances falling, especially since late November, a trend which he said "would not be a temporary but a long-lasting one." He also said Sony would have to reassess its goal of expanding its personal computer, Blu-ray Disc and semiconductor operations into "trillion yen businesses" by March 2011

*laralover*
18-12-08, 18:36
Id say get one it may not have as many games as 360 but im sure that will change just from looking at the ps2. Id say its more reliable than the 360 too but PS3 can be unreliable....i actually get peeved of when it likes to freeze lol

Megalith
18-12-08, 18:42
i actually get peeved of when it likes to freeze lol

This is usually a software problem not a hardware's.;)

tomobond875
18-12-08, 19:38
And also, is home free?

Lara's home
18-12-08, 19:42
And also, is home free?

Yup.
The game itself is free, but many things (such as starting groups I've heard) and buying furnatures will cost money. You will of course have som free ones too (I think).

Deepthought
18-12-08, 21:19
My two-cents on the matter:

When it comes to the competition between the three consoles, you should rule out the Wii all together, because of it's inferior graphics and bad games. Okay, graphics don't really mean ****, but there is just so many shovelware games on the Wii it's sickening, and the only good games released on it being Mario Galaxy, Zelda (which is on Gamecube also, a bad move by Nintendo IMO) and Smash Bros. Although all of those are great, great games, after you play them your system will become "The Smash Bros. Playing Box" instead of a console that can actually play more then one game.

Now that I got that out of the way, time to rant on about the PS3 vs. 360. In my opinion, the ps3 is better due to a couple of things.

First, lets talk about games. Actually, let's not, because games are not even a factor anymore. Think about it, what games are exclusive? All of the good games I've ever played in this generation are multi-platform. The Orange Box, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls (and recently Fallout), Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4 (all extremly high recommendations, by the way). Although each system might have, like, two exclusives that actually matter (360: Mass Effect, Halo 3 maybe. PS3: LBP, Metal Gear Solid) it's really not worth consideration, in all honesty. Also, whoever thinks PS3 ports are inferior need to face the facts: ports are exactly the same . Sure, port A might be slightly more washed out and port B might be slightly laggier, but you really have to be a graphics and performance freak to really tell the difference. Fortunately, I am neither.

The reason I give the edge to the PS3 is because it is more mod-able, doesn't have the "Microsoft charm" of ripping off everything it sees, and is actually stable.

One thing I despise about Microsoft is that they rip off everything. Everything. You have to dig really, really deep to actually find one creative thing Microsoft has done. For the 360, the spot where this is most apparent is their blatant, shameless rip-off of nintendo's miis. These things are so bad I actually get angry by simply seeing them. At the same time, I shouldn't. Microsoft has stolen so many things that I should be used to it by now.

Of course, 360's have the red ring of death. I don't even need to go into this, you all know what it is. Although the PS3 might freeze once or twice a month, the PS3 or any console ever made doesn't just die for no reason.

Although the 360 might have better online, you actually have to pay for it, so I think the PS3's is better, mainly because it is almost as good and you don't need to pay. Although Sony have pulled some bull**** moves in the past, they are still much better then Microsoft.

To make a long story short, buy a PS3.

*laralover*
18-12-08, 22:21
This is usually a software problem not a hardware's.;)

Hm well iv played alot of games and it just freezes when it feels like it lol Happened once on Uncharted, 3 times on TRU and a couple of times on Home everything else iv played has been fine :D

Zebra
18-12-08, 22:28
*LOOOOOONG POST*

You forgot one important thing: The PS3 is not only a console but also a BluRay-player and at the same time cheaper than most other BluRay-players on the market.

tomobond875
18-12-08, 23:23
Considering everyones talking about it, ive had a wii for over a year now. This is about ps3. NOT wii or 3 sicks tea. i have both

Megalith
19-12-08, 01:59
Hm well iv played alot of games and it just freezes when it feels like it lol Happened once on Uncharted, 3 times on TRU and a couple of times on Home everything else iv played has been fine :D

Well,i don't know about Uncharted but it seems that it's a common problem with Underworld.If you look at the Underworld bugs thread you'll see many people who have also encountered this.And Home is still in Beta version so its quite natural to have problems such as freezes (it also happened to me once)at this time,but again this is a software problem and not a hardware's.
Thankfully none of my PS3 games had this kind of problem (i haven't bought Underworld yet.)

The only time i encountered freezes was when i was playing my PS version of TR.Sony's backwards compatibility still has a lot of issues which i hope they fix soon with a firmware update.

*laralover*
19-12-08, 18:19
Well,i don't know about Uncharted but it seems that it's a common problem with Underworld.If you look at the Underworld bugs thread you'll see many people who have also encountered this.And Home is still in Beta version so its quite natural to have problems such as freezes (it also happened to me once)at this time,but again this is a software problem and not a hardware's.
Thankfully none of my PS3 games had this kind of problem (i haven't bought Underworld yet.)

The only time i encountered freezes was when i was playing my PS version of TR.Sony's backwards compatibility still has a lot of issues which i hope they fix soon with a firmware update.

Yeah your right Underworld loves freezing lol I agree about Home too. I can only play some of my PS1 games on my PS3 either the sound glitches out or the game will refuse to load at all :(

Samsdad
19-12-08, 18:46

I had Uncharted freeze 4-5 times when I played it. I was really surprised since I had heard that such freezes were relatively rare.

@Deepthought The matter of free on-line vs paying for MS on-line I think has some serious ramifications. Sony has been really sticking it to developers this generation. First they try to push a radically new architecture down developer's throats. The new architecture is notoriously hard to program for and has not demonstrated any noticiable advantage over the 360 architecture. Second they require developers to host their own servers for on-line play whereas MS provides servers for developers. Developers have to pay the cost but most pass it on to users. I think this is one of the reasons PS3 games tend to cost more. By MS providing the servers it gives a common stable platform for on-line play and cuts developers costs. MS charges users for this service (about $50/year for a gold membership).