PDA

View Full Version : power outages

EternoD
17-12-08, 23:00
hi everyone.
we've had quite the bad ice storm here (upstate NY), knocking out my power for SIX DAYS. we couldn't shower, flush the toilet, use the stove, use the heat, and all of that other jazz. i kind of expected there to be some funny stories that came out of it, but nothing did.
does anyone here have any funny (or tragic?) power outage stories?

patriots88888
17-12-08, 23:08
Whereabouts in upstate NY are you? Are you referring to the 1991 ice storm?

I was in the same boat as you here in Rochester. I was without power and heat for 7+ days as a result. The thing I remember most about that crazy time is looking out my window the next morning after it happened and seeing one of my trees completely bent over so that it's top was touching the ground and all the trees and everything else being covered in a shroud of solid ice. It was ghastly and beautiful both at the same time. Hopefully I'll never have to experience anything like that again in my lifetime.

EternoD
17-12-08, 23:12

I was in the same boat as you here in Rochester. I was without power and heat for 7+ days as a result. The thing I remember most about that crazy time is looking out my window the next morning after it happened and seeing one of my trees completely bent over so that it's top was touching the ground and all the trees and everything else being covered in a shroud of solid ice. It was ghastly and beautiful both at the same time. Hopefully I'll never have to experience anything like that again in my lifetime.

i'm south of albany. so not very "upstate", but yeah. actualli i'm referring to the ice storm from 6 days ago, lol. there were about 203,000 people out from it. yeah it's pretty but all the live wires down and stuff is scary.

irjudd
18-12-08, 02:30
I've had week long power outages more than once. But in general I've learned that when you see an ice storm coming, fill your bathtub so you can use the water to pour into the toilet and flush it. Otherwise, I'd bring buckets of snow in and put them on the wood stove to thaw into toilet flushing water.

Legend Killer
18-12-08, 02:35
Another Power outage sufferer here as well. It went out for us in NH late Thursday/early Friday and didn't come back on until Monday night. Luckily we're on propane here and were able to utilize our gas fireplace for heat and stove top to cook. We had hot water as well but the in laws were up a creek with electric appliances and well water. I was able to procure two generators on Sunday and got us powered up until it came back on. The State is a mess though.

SamReeves
18-12-08, 02:49
LOL. And the California local news goes ape when there's a dusting of snow on the coastal hilltops. Our problems are nothing compared to yours! ;)

Mr.Burns
18-12-08, 02:51

Ah I remember the storm of 91. I had just moved to Rochester from down south and wondered if it was normal to have that much ice. :)

Lara's Backpack
18-12-08, 06:02
Ice? Outside of a freezer?

You're kidding right?

:tea:

peeves
18-12-08, 12:57
I live in NY state in Dutchess County in Southern part in Glenham near fishkill and i had a power outage 3 weeks ago and only lasted for a short night other than that no i did not have power outages. Eterno, How come you don't get city water like i do? You get well water how come?