PDA

View Full Version : I need advice about a broken friendship because of a dog and a stupid couch

Laurencarter
18-12-08, 15:16
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me with some advice for a problem that I have.

My sister and her friend, lets call her Betty, has been friends for 8 years now. they were best friends like sisters almost.
So this week Betty invited us to her parents' beach house for a few days.
So the four of us (which included Me. my sister, betty and another friend).
My sister brought her 8 week old puppy along after asking Betty if it was cool with her and her parents. Betty said that it was fine as long as the dog only stayed on the tiled areas in the house.

My sister did step over the line though and let the dog into the forbidden area but it was unintentional due to puppies that normally wonder off when you look away for a split second.

And my sister let the dog sit on her lap when she was sitting on the very expensive couch and is sure that the dog never came in contact with the couch. Now there are stains on the couch and Betty claims that it comes from the dogs' paws and my sister says that it doesn't.

Betty freaked out about the stains and told her mother who then called my sister, I don't know exactly what was said during the phone call but Betty's mom said that they are going to sue my sister and then put the phone down in my sister's ear.

So I am divided within the two. The other friend is on my sister's side and I am too. And I don't know if my behaviour within the situation was correct. I didn't take sides. I was just trying to keep the peace and I'm afraid that I have made it worse.

So I want to know if Betty and her parents have a foot to stand on legally. There is no way that they can prove that it was my sister's dog that made the stains, I'm sure of that.

irjudd
18-12-08, 15:19
No dogs allowed. Rules are rules.

Yes they probably have a foot to stand on if they really want to.

Punaxe
18-12-08, 15:23
(...) There is no way that they can prove that it was my sister's dog that made the stains, I'm sure of that.

They can go all forensic if they want to see what it caused it, but this whole sueing story seems a bit overblown. Normal people just settle these kinds of situations without the need for a court. It seems to me that a couch isn't a "tiled area" so I'd say your sister just pays for the cleaning, unless she can prove it's not the dog.

Lee croft
18-12-08, 15:24
im sorry but sewing your sister is a step way!!! too far!!!!
puppies will be puppies your sisters friend "betty" knew the risks and she allowed her to take the dog if she was really botherd she would have said no to bringing the dog along in the first place

viper456
18-12-08, 15:26
They want to sue her over a stain? LMFAO Good luck to them.

Im sure when everyone has calmed down and apologies have been made then it will be fine.

irjudd
18-12-08, 15:44
im sorry but sewing your sister is a step way!!! too far!!!!
Yes, sewing would definitely be too far! Perhaps even against the law as it might kill her!

Lee croft
18-12-08, 15:48
Yes, sewing would definitely be too far! Perhaps even against the law as it might kill her!

ok thats not get cleavr hear i know im not good at spelling so what get over it!!!

Survival
18-12-08, 16:13
ok thats not get cleavr hear i know im not good at spelling so what get over it!!!

Calm down he was just joking.

touchthesky
18-12-08, 16:14
...I would not call someone who wants to sue a person due to a stain a friend.

Sorry.

nickless
18-12-08, 17:47
...I would not call someone who wants to sue a person due to a stain a friend.

Sorry.

ditto on that one.this is pathetic.if the couch is so expensive,fighting over it in the court would cost even more than a new couch.seriously,those people are sick.rich dudes with no other busyness.really :mad:.i don't know these people but that is the first thing that came onto my mind when i read.

~Scorpio~
18-12-08, 17:52
I would take your sisters side, shes your family and you should always support family first.

And wow what is a cupple of stains going to do :rolleyes::o

Fdx Croft
18-12-08, 18:55
yell them... if you really love each other like good friends, then, you can start again your relationsip...

you see why you should have taken with you a cat? :p

bivvy
18-12-08, 20:01
Rich cows are very sensitive to stains! :(

dream raider
18-12-08, 20:15
Your sister shouldn't have brought the dog in that area, she was lucky she could even bring it to the house anyway.

Suing her though is definitely an overreaction... Seriously...

maximum_123
18-12-08, 20:25
You say there was a stain off the dogs paw. Obviously I'm going to think it's a browny mud looking stain and you're in a beach hut. Now, beach huts are close to the beaches which are covered in sand. Yellow sand. Sand that doesn't stain things.

Therefore, it wasn't the dog! :D

domina
18-12-08, 20:32
Your sister shouldn't have brought the dog in that area, she was lucky she could even bring it to the house anyway.

Suing her though is definitely an overreaction... Seriously...

Agreed. :tmb:

I'm sure with a decent lawyer, they could probably sue if they felt so inclined, but with a decent lawyer, your sister could also be safe.

Lawsuits are really a waste of time and money; people are just way too litigious these days. The amount of money your friend's family would spend on the actual court case could easily surpass the amount of money it would be clean the damn couch. But even if your sister's dog didn't do anything, paying for the damage is the right thing to do. Obviously the stains occurred while your family was there--Whether it was the dog or not, I'd still say you guys are responsible for the damage.

IceColdLaraCroft
18-12-08, 20:34
She shouldn't have brought the dog

BUT

If no one in Betty's family can physically prove that the stains came from the dog then they don't have a legal foot to stand on and saying "I'm going to su you" is an empty threat. It'd cost more to go through the legal precedings then to have the couch cleaned.

If there wasn't a signed contract that explicitly said "no animals" then there's not much Betty's family can do, especially since Betty said "just keep it in the tiled areas" which if you have a puppy...it's logical.

tr_mitch
18-12-08, 20:57
http://www.globalkozmetika.sk/kepek/termekek/cillit%20bang.jpg
Bang and the stain is gone!

viper456
18-12-08, 20:58
[IMG]http://www.globalkozmetika.sk/kepek/termekek/cillit%20bang.jpg
Bang and the stain is gone!

MITCHELL! :smk:

Don't you know that is not to be used on furniture!? And here was me thinking you were finally house trained :p

Ada the Mental
18-12-08, 21:09
Seriously, it's a couch! Overreacting much?
Yeah, your sister shouldn't have brought the dog and let it out of her sight but if it bothers them that much they should have your family pay for the cleaning up. But suing? O.O

_Lam
18-12-08, 21:52
Wow those parents are crazy. If they didn't want anything to happen they just had to told you to not bring the dog.

My parent would not even be angry about that... even if the couch would be freakin expensive.
This is crazy.

Shrantellatessa
18-12-08, 22:04
This is the most stupid excuse to sue someone, esp. a friend! :confused:

Laurencarter
18-12-08, 22:59
It is insane, I mean that stain could have been caused by anyone who has sat on the couch. And there is no way that they can prove that the substance that caused the stains was on the dog's paws. or that the stain was not there before we even arrived.

They were poor people until they inherited a lot of money from a family member and that was when they started to look down on our normal middle class people. So from my perspective I see it as a balloon that was inflated slowly and now it burst.

I think that one of the reasons for her freaking out about something this small is that she has changed and obviousely grown away from especially my sister and our other friend, Mary, they were all at college together and they finished it last year and they went to work on different sides of the country so I think that she made new friends and then maby wanted to get rid of her old friends. All three of them changed during this year so it is understandable that they would not be the same people they were in college. But I think that true friendship is strong enough to withstand all those changes that occures in one's life. I'm not so sure if true friendship can be ruined by a stain, can it?

And if Betty wasn't a true friend (I know my sister and I know that she would not waste her time by being a false friend to any one) why would she keep up with my sister for 8 years? Was she just a substitute until Betty found other people who were more interesting?
I guess I'll never know the answers to that questions. But one thing is for sure, Betty has lost two dear friends. My sister and Mary are the most loyal friends I know.

It is just a couch for pete's sake. You are not going to take it to the afterlife with you. The only thing that matters is the inside, or am I wrong?

Anyway, thank you all for taking time to read this and giving your opinions.

Shark_Blade
19-12-08, 00:54
That is riddicuous over reacting over a stain?
Your sister should just ignore them for now. They have no proof of the stain belongs to the dog anyway.

Lenochka
19-12-08, 01:02
I wouldn't consider anyone a friend if they were going to sue me over a couch lmao

mau3genius
19-12-08, 01:03
Betty freaked out about the stains and told her mother who then called my sister, I don't know exactly what was said during the phone call but Betty's mom said that they are going to sue my sister and then put the phone down in my sister's ear.

God! That girl's mum threatened your sister with a lawsuit?
And you're friends with this chick? Really you should look people elsewhere.
Take a stand and support your sister on this. The argument is way too retarded to even think about going on Betty's side

Legends
19-12-08, 06:54
What a ridicules set of reasons. 'A stain, lets sue.' You said they had been friends for 8 years before this? I might understand that Betty felt some anger after she told your sister not to put the dog on the couch though, but come on...