PDA

View Full Version : The Top 5 Most Soothing Music of Tomb Raider

Jin Uzuki
19-12-08, 10:12
The Top 5 Most Soothing Music of Neo-Tomb Raider

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/migdumaual/thailandsoothe.jpg

While the bulk of Lara's adventures have mostly taken her to dangerous and foreboding places, her tomb-raiding sprees are not without the occassional relaxing and meditative atmosphere of lush rainforests, snowy mountain tops, and bouldered ruins. It isn't enough, however, that these places are such stunning sights to behold. What makes them distinctly calming (in an awe-inspiring way) is the music that comes with them, and that's what this fanboy list will be treating you to: The Top 5 Most Soothing Music of Neo-Tomb Raider.

5. Croft Manor Theme - Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Composed by Troels Folmann): When your butler's gone missing, leaving you a list of chores to do in your own mansion, you know there's something wrong. But that doesn't stop Lara from accomplishing Winston's to-do list anyway, which meant running back and forth, up and down just to fix the drainage. Oh, but going about Croft Manor is far from being a chore, especially if the starry night sky is set to Troels Fomann's theme for Lara's not so humble abode.

OVcaaydSpOk&feature=channel_page

It's actually a modern take at the original four-note melody predominantly characterized by playful percussions. Although it's a bit repetitive, the variation of soft and loud beats (starting from 2:04) makes you want to listen to the piece through its six-minute run.

4. Nepal Theme - Tomb Raider: Legend (Composed by Troels Folmann): When Lara was still holding hope that her mother might still be alive after her mysterious disappearance, she ventured atop the Nepalese mountains in search of the brooch her father had given her mother. This brooch was said to be the Ghalali key; the stone that puts the pieces of Excalibur back together. Getting the key back wasn't the prize though, but the journey to get to it.

9CsxSWHPiyY&feature=channel_page

The vocals of the piece sets the mood for a lonely trek through thick snow, but at the same, it emits a sense of peace in being the lone wolf Lara is. Setting the vocals to the tribal beats in the background hints that the Nepalese terrain has long been uncharted, which makes raiding it all the more atmospheric.

3. Poseidon's Theme - Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Composed by Troels Folmann): Anniversary's version of St. Francis Folly is arguably the level of the remake that is right up there with the original in terms of scope, atmosphere and level design. But what truly stands out as the real gem in Crystal Dynamic's rendition of the famous vertical level is the puzzle room of Poseidon.

N0xdnpS-wlQ&feature=channel_page

Characterized by an abundant use of chimes, Poseidon's Theme gives a sense of awe at the sight of the azure puzzle room. The rendition of the Tomb Raider melody at 00:31 that overpowers the background is the main source of relaxation, together with the whispering choir the accompanies it.

2. Underwater Caverns - Tomb Raider: Underworld (Composed by Colin O'Malley): One would think that Lara was on a tropical vacation rather than a dark quest into ancient underworlds at the sight of coastal Thailand. Hell, she has a yacht with her. Winston's tea tray-serving abilities could have seriously done a good job at making it the perfect getaway.

DHxt4Qb-VRo&feature=channel_page

In contrast to the Nepalese mountains of Legend, this piece indulges Lara in the wonders of (current-gen) nature, as if to say, "Skinny-dip now, raid later". Set to the stunning water graphics of Underworld and the massive stone structures and lush fauna, Underwater Cavern sets the mood for a leisurely pacing of Southeast Asian tomb-raiding. And hear the ethereal vocals at the 1:12 mark? Should've been there right from the very beginning.

1. Arrival in China - Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Composed by Alan Silvestri): That's right. The movies -- not the games -- get the top spot. You must be scratching your head trying to remember the scene where the music plays; much less, what the entire film is all about. Well, here's a refresher: Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Alan Silvestri himself, this piece heralds Lara's arrival in a rural area in China where she meets an old acquaintance for help. This time, she's in pursuit of an orb that tells the exact location of the mythical Pandora's box. Remember now?

tzoVAkI4KxM&feature=channel_page

Chinese influence is noticeably reflected in the musical arrangement and the instrumentation. The original four-note melody can be loosely heard at the 00:40 mark and becomes more readily recognizable at 1:08 (despite missing a note). Although there's arguably a hint of sadness to the composition, the idyllic location shown in the film makes the piece more about indulging in transient tranquility. For after all, Lara really doesn't have the luxury of time to trade in her pistols for meditative silence.

So there you have it: The Top 5 Most Soothing Music of Neo-Tomb Raider. Be sure to have 'em on your own personalized playlist, so the next time you feel the urge to throw your mouse/controller because of Underworld's camera, chilling is just a Play button away. In the meantime, here's a bonus video of Alan Silvestri conducting the London Symphony Orchestra for Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. Just so you know the amount of work put into scoring Lara Croft films, and games.

IYxikIh94iw&feature=channel_page

Note:
I was debating with myself whether I should make the title "The Top 5 Most Soothing Music of Neo-Tomb Raider"; turns out I probably should. My memory of the classic titles, I must say, is a bit rusty. No opportunity to play the first six titles either on PC or console. Pity, I know. I wouldn't do justice to the classics if I included them out of false memory. But alas, as you may have already figured, the list is but one man's opinion, a personal list. By no means does it qualify as the all-encompassing TR list.

patriots88888
19-12-08, 10:45
I really needed some soothing music like this to help me calm down and relax. Thanks for sharing these.

marla_biggs
19-12-08, 10:48
i defo agree with nepal and croft manor (anni and legend.) also the main anni theme is very soothing, and some of the ambience tracks from the old games were very nice :)

john_york
19-12-08, 11:11
I'd definitely have to put in a vote for the music that plays in India in TR3 just after you kill the two tigers. Stunning.

Jin Uzuki
19-12-08, 13:01
I'd definitely have to put in a vote for the music that plays in India in TR3 just after you kill the two tigers. Stunning.
Would it be possible to link to a video on YouTube with that track? I can't seem to remember.

Mad Tony
19-12-08, 13:06
Why isn't there any music from the first six Tomb Raider games? :confused:

Ampersand
19-12-08, 13:09
No classic music? :C Still, very nice. Thanks for sharing these.

da tomb raider!
19-12-08, 13:30
Couldn't disagree more. Tomb Raider 1-3 have the most soothing music in my opinion.

Mad Tony
19-12-08, 13:31
Couldn't disagree more. Tomb Raider 1-3 have the most soothing music in my opinion.I agree.

Although, when it comes to soothing music from any game, Oblivion wins hands down.

john_york
19-12-08, 13:37
Would it be possible to link to a video on YouTube with that track? I can't seem to remember.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMxjLeqKVA&feature=PlayList&p=719F1616C3F75F4B&index=0&playnext=1

music starts at about 4:40 :wve:

Jin Uzuki
19-12-08, 13:48
Why isn't there any music from the first six Tomb Raider games? :confused:
No classic music? :C Still, very nice. Thanks for sharing these.
Ah, I knew this would come up. I was debating with myself whether I should make the title "The Top 5 Most Soothing Music of Neo-Tomb Raider"; turns out I probably should. My memory of the classic titles, I must say, is a bit rusty. No opportunity to play the first six titles either on PC or console. Pity, I know. I wouldn't do justice to the classics if I included them out of false memory. But alas, as you may have already figured, the list is but one man's opinion, a personal list. By no means does it qualify as the all-encompassing TR list.

tha_mattster
19-12-08, 13:56
Why didn't you include any of CORE's games :(

TR2 Main Theme
VpaNzABsCpY

AoD main theme - so beautiful! Played by the LSO, not a guy on a keyboard like the newer TR music.
CWJmf7EF-lo

AoD Le Serpent Rouge
CNKcDHbSX1c

Jin Uzuki
19-12-08, 13:59

Angel of Darkness's soundtrack was brilliant and created with the LSO wasn't it?
See above post about the classics. About AOD, I did manage to get the full score of AOD. While the music was brilliant (had me all nostalgic when I listened to it), the tracks were either epic or mysterious or suspenseful (save for the The Serpent Rouge); there were really no "soothing" music from the score I have with me.

EDIT: @ TR2 and AOD theme: As you may have noticed, I tried not to include the main themes in the list. TR2's theme could actually qualify as 'soothing', but the focus really was on the ambient score that was used for the games (in this case, the neo-titles). AOD's theme, while still holding the title of my favorite TR theme of all time, doesn't really qualify as a relaxing type of sound to me. If anything, it stirs emotions and sense of epicness (!).

tha_mattster
19-12-08, 14:06
Well it depends on what you find 'soothing' :p

Jin Uzuki
19-12-08, 14:15
Well it depends on what you find 'soothing' :p
Indeed, indeed. The Serpent Rouge for instance may set a different kind of soothing mood than the Venice violins from TRII. Oh, and the YouTube video of the TRII theme led me to the soundtrack of TRII. I have got to make a whole other list of the bests from the classics.

Lenochka
19-12-08, 14:20
Aww, there is one track from TR1 that really needs to be in that list :p
I can't remember what its called but it plays when you get to the bottom of that giant sphinx (Sanctuary of the Scion), its such a beautiful little tune.

Punaxe
19-12-08, 14:44
Indeed, indeed. The Serpent Rouge for instance may set a different kind of soothing mood than the Venice violins from TRII. Oh, and the YouTube video of the TRII theme led me to the soundtrack of TRII. I have got to make a whole other list of the bests from the classics.

Please do! Thanks a lot for your list and the info provided with each peace, but I too think the classics' scores beat the newer ones hands down, both the soothing music and the action score.

Jin Uzuki
19-12-08, 15:23
I just realized how utterly disrespectful to the classics the title of the list is. Totally doesn't do justice to the entire series. Pls see title change.

TRhalloween
19-12-08, 15:36

TR2 Main Theme
VpaNzABsCpY

it's neo-Tomb Raider, remember.

AoD main theme - so beautiful! Played by the LSO, not a guy on a keyboard like the newer TR music.
Eidos can't afford the London Orchestra anymore.
CWJmf7EF-lo
The AoD theme is my favourite but it's not soothing. Atleast in the first half.

AoD Le Serpent Rouge
CNKcDHbSX1c

eww!

rowanlim
19-12-08, 16:23
1. AOD Theme
2. TRL Peru Serenity
3. TRA Poseidon
4. TRA Theme
5. TRL Theme

tha_mattster
19-12-08, 16:51
it's neo-Tomb Raider, remember.

When I posted, the thread was about all TRs.

Rivendell
19-12-08, 17:40
Some of the music from TR:U's Thailand level sticks in my head as particularly 'soothing' - the music that starts when you pull up and first see the temple ruins is very beautiful.

*Wants to play through Thailand again*
:D

Neteru
19-12-08, 17:54
^Yeah, I love that. I was so disappointed that it wasn't on the soundtrack that comes with the Game issue.

Veronica Ma
19-12-08, 17:55
-

Rivendell
19-12-08, 17:55
Same here Net. Never mind though, I think ultimately TRC got the better deal (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/soundtrack.html) :D

Neteru
19-12-08, 17:59
Yeah, but they're MP3 aren't they. I wanted the full audio. :(

Geck-o-Lizard
19-12-08, 18:02
Do any of you folk listen to regular, non-game ambient music?

MrBear
19-12-08, 18:03
I know the competition's tough, and I don't want to make it seem like I'm saying 'OMG, you're so wrong!!', but I just feel better mentioning the music from the beginning of Ghana, before the encounter with Rutland.. I think it's probably the best piece of music in Legend :tmb:

Neteru
19-12-08, 18:14
Do any of you folk listen to regular, non-game ambient music?It depends what you define as ambient. I would say yes, but I'm sure others who are into so called 'ambient' would say I'm not.

TRhalloween
19-12-08, 18:16
When I posted, the thread was about all TRs.

Well, my other points are still valid.

Geck-o-Lizard
19-12-08, 18:21
It depends what you define as ambient. I would say yes, but I'm sure others who are into so called 'ambient' would say I'm not.

...try me :D What artists?

Neteru
19-12-08, 18:42
Some material from the following: Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Yello, Waterbone, Dead Can Dance, Lisa Gerrard, Tangerine Dream, Enigma, Nitin Sawhney, Brian Eno (like, Music For Airports), Pink Floyd, Deep Forest, Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook, Kraftwerk.

I would even go so far as to say some of those were the progenitors of the genre.

Philio
19-12-08, 19:16
Love the TRL Main Theme. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uyBViwAVw

Geck-o-Lizard
19-12-08, 19:45
Some material from the following: Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Yello, Waterbone, Dead Can Dance, Lisa Gerrard, Tangerine Dream, Enigma, Nitin Sawhney, Brian Eno (like, Music For Airports), Pink Floyd, Deep Forest, Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook, Kraftwerk.

I would even go so far as to say some of those were the progenitors of the genre.

Ooo now there's a few names I haven't heard in a while. Yep a lot of modern ambient is heavily influenced by experimental work from the 70's and 80's... to the point of sounding plagiarised occasionally, lol. Not too much fresh, original material now though. :(

Have you tried Bill Laswell, Jon Hopkins, Celtic Cross, Ishq, Mystical Sun? Might be to your taste :)

Neteru
19-12-08, 19:57
Have you tried Bill Laswell, Jon Hopkins, Celtic Cross, Ishq, Mystical Sun? Might be to your taste :)None of the above. And if Celtic Cross are actually even remotely Celtic, I know I wouldn't like them. I'll keep an eye out for the others though.

Geck-o-Lizard
19-12-08, 20:55
...they're not even remotely Celtic; no worries. :p

SamReeves
19-12-08, 21:06
Soothing as in relaxing, I suppose my top 5 are:

TRL Croft Manor theme
AOD Parasian Ghetto theme
TRL Bolvia opening theme
TRL Japan motorbike sequence
TRL Khazizstan air duct sequence