PDA

View Full Version : Baby had foot removed from brain

touchthesky
20-12-08, 11:48
A two-month-old baby boy had surgery to remove a foot and other body parts from inside his brain shortly after his birth.

Surgeons removed a tumour from the brain of Sam Esquibel and discovered it contained a tiny, almost perfectly-formed foot and other partially-formed body parts including a hand and thigh, reports the Belfast Telegraph.

Read the rest here;

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12053046&ocid=today

I'm literally sat here like ...ohhhh.

rowanlim
20-12-08, 11:51
It was in the papers today, fascinating case. Apparently it might be the result of an embryo developing within another embryo or something like that.

Amazing seriously, the doctor took such care to remove it without damaging the brain :tmb:

Ada the Mental
20-12-08, 11:56
:yik:
I saw that yesterday. There were articles that even had pictures of the foot.

I hope the baby will be fine now.

Nannonxyay
20-12-08, 12:00
Wow. Simply amazing. Glad the baby's ok, though.

TR love
20-12-08, 12:01
wow, how is that possible?

PureSilence
20-12-08, 12:04
Wow. o.o
So glad the baby is ok.

Neteru
20-12-08, 12:24
Sounds more like a case of a cell splitting into twins (monozygotic) and one twin engulfed the other (the surviving baby) and the other stopped developing (the 'tumour').

Goose
20-12-08, 12:27
I remember a story about a boy who had his twin brother in his stomach till he was about 5 or 6. Lucky the baby was born in a developed country!

Alex Fly
20-12-08, 12:29
Incredible !

Hope the baby will be ok now... :)

ShadyCroft
20-12-08, 12:35
That's kind of freaky ! But I hope the child is okay now.

dox online
20-12-08, 12:39
I remember a story about a boy who had his twin brother in his stomach till he was about 5 or 6. Lucky the baby was born in a developed country!
True story?

Goose
20-12-08, 12:45
True story?

yea, let me find it....

Actually its a girl.

Here: http://www.dbtechno.com/curiosity/2008/05/15/9-year-old-girl-has-twin-removed-from-her-stomach/

"According to reports from the hospital, this type of situation occurs in 1 out of every 500,000 live births of sets of twins."

Scary.

Phlip
20-12-08, 12:55
Heard about that. I was so shocked.
So so relieved to hear the baby's fine now. :)

rowanlim
20-12-08, 12:57
I wonder what I'd do if that happened to me :/

siouxsiecrux
20-12-08, 14:16
Seen as nobody has yet to say it, Well done to the Neurosurgeons, Doctors, Nurses etc... who helped in improving and/or saving this babies life.

I just hope the baby remains healthy after this.

Endow
20-12-08, 15:13
How is this even possible without affecting the brain? Hope the little fellow grows healthy.

MattTR
20-12-08, 15:26
Wow, now when he's older he can say, oh yeah I had a foot in my brain how cool am I? :p Well atleast I would do that.. hehe.

Rai
20-12-08, 15:31
Wow that is some intricate and amazing surgery. It may well have been what they say it could be, the Foetus in foetu. I hope baby Sam is going to be ok now.

TRfan23
20-12-08, 16:36
I hope the baby is ok in it's future :) I'm surprised at this kind of surgery, makes me think that the body parts in it's brain must have been tiny...?

How is this even possible without affecting the brain? Hope the little fellow grows healthy.

The brain is much clever then you may think, I thinks it's amazing that you can do surgery on it whilst being totally awake. But recommend to inject a local Anesthetic in the area ;) :tmb:

Also that if you proded on certain parts of someones brain, whilst they're awake, you could move their arms or any part of their body by force! :D As I can remember it's the left side of the brain, that controls the right side of your body, like your arms and legs. And the right side, controls your left side :)

irjudd
20-12-08, 16:47
*can't get the image of Conjoined Fetus Lady from South Park out of my mind*

Hairhelmet12
20-12-08, 16:50
OMG! :eek: that is crazy!!

badboy70
20-12-08, 17:59
Cool :p

-So anything speicial happened in your life ?
"I had a foot in my brain"
-Eh, what ?

Love2Raid
20-12-08, 18:26
I have heard/read about a few cases of 'foetus in foetu'. It is extremely rare.

And yeah, you can remove parts of the brain without affecting much of the human functions. It all depends on how much you remove and more important, where.

As a Med student, I have seen a few brain operations myself. One of them was removing a certain area which was a focus for epileptic seizures. The area was very close to 'Wernicke's area', which is responsible of the understanding of language. So it had to be done by the so-called Penfield-procedure. A local anaesthetic was injected in the scalp. After accessing and precisely mapping of the right area (the 'focus'), the anaesthesiologist made her wake up from her general anaesthesia. She couldn't feel anything, because the brain itself doesn't have pain-receptors. Then they showed her some pictures on a laptop, like a plane, a flower etc. She had to tell us what they were. With electric manipulation, they could exactly locate Wernicke's area. Cause when they 'turned that off', she couldn't tell us what the names of the pictures were anymore. So after the map was complete, they put her back to sleep and the surgery could continue.

It was truly amazing, I will never forget it. :D

Dark Lugia 2
20-12-08, 18:43
^ That sounds amazing!

I've heard about stuff like this, an embryo trapped in another and growing? Hope the baby grows up all right :)

Endow
20-12-08, 18:47
The brain is much clever then you may think, I thinks it's amazing that you can do surgery on it whilst being totally awake. But recommend to inject a local Anesthetic in the area ;) :tmb:

Also that if you proded on certain parts of someones brain, whilst they're awake, you could move their arms or any part of their body by force! :D As I can remember it's the left side of the brain, that controls the right side of your body, like your arms and legs. And the right side, controls your left side :)

Yeah, I'm aware of that, what I meant was "how can the existence of a foot in your brain not damage the surrounding cells?". Even if it doesn't harm the brain as it grows (the foot I mean), removing the foot alone must be a tremendously difficult task.

Love2Raid
20-12-08, 18:50
Yeah, I'm aware of that, what I meant was "how can the existence of a foot in your brain not damage the surrounding cells?". Even if it doesn't harm the brain as it grows (the foot I mean), removing the foot alone must be a tremendously difficult task.

I bet is was inside some sort of embryo-sac or something, so I guess it just 'popped out' like that. I don't think they had to cut that much in the brain itself in order to remove it, but I am not sure of course. :)

Endow
20-12-08, 18:52
I bet is was inside some sort of embryo-sac or something, so I guess it just 'popped out' like that. I don't think they had to cut that much in the brain itself in order to remove it, but I am not sure of course. :)

I see. It would still force the brain to grow around it, though. Not sure how elastic brainmatter is.

Love2Raid
20-12-08, 18:58
I see. It would still force the brain to grow around it, though. Not sure how elastic brainmatter is.

Maybe, but in most cases the brain tissue just gets pushed away by the tumor, if it is benign of course, like the 'foot' or meningeomas for example. First symptoms are caused by the tumor pressing on the brain and 'irritating' it (like seizures). Malignant things tend to grow inside it and spread, so are very hard to remove fully, in most cases impossible. It is also very hard to see the difference between what's tumor and what not in malignant cases.

TRfan23
20-12-08, 20:00
Request Deletion.