PDA

View Full Version : Plasma TV ban in Europe

irjudd
13-01-09, 18:27
When it comes to entertainment in the home, most people care about screen size, color accuracy, image quality, and how many bells and whistles a TV comes with. Rarely do we consider energy consumption when buying a new HDTV.

In what could set worldwide precedent, the European Union is looking to ban sales of new plasma television sets in all member nations (meaning most of Europe). While plasma televisions are top notch when it comes to color accuracy and contrast ratio, they can also be the most energy-hungry appliance found in homes today. According to Dailymail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1112110/Energy-guzzling-plasma-TVs-banned-Brussels-eco-blitz.html), Plasmas typically use up to four times as much energy as a CRT television while also emitting much more carbon dioxide into the air. Along with phasing out the 100W light bulb, the EU plans on phasing out the most demanding of plasma sets this spring. While plasma televisions may be going the way of the dodo in Europe, LCD TV's are safe. A 42" LCD typically uses the same amount of energy as a smaller traditional CRT TV.
A spokesperson for the EU's Department-for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said certain "eco-friendly" plasma sets will remain on the market. While many consider America to be the king when it comes to television sales, Britain alone has approximately 60 million TV's, one for every person in the country.
While the bulk of plasma sets may be taken off the market in Europe, LCD's are outselling plasma sets by a wide margin, usually 2-to-1. LCD TV's are traditionally less expensive, and also come in a much wider array of sizes. When was the last time you saw a plasma TV smaller than 42 inches? While image aficionados still love plasmas for their black levels, the average joe is going to save a few hundred dollars (sometimes more), and go LCD.

Source (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Plasma-Display-TV-European-Union,news-3281.html)

tombraiderluka
13-01-09, 18:28
It's a God thing I canceled my Plasma TV order and ordered an LCD one then :D

voltz
13-01-09, 18:30
I just felt the presence of a thousand videophiles weeping....

Terra Inclined
13-01-09, 18:30
...and Envirodude punches Techoman into an unconcious lump.

TRfan23
13-01-09, 18:31
Isn't the daily mail a nest of made up/altered biased stories?

Though I think it seems true that it eats up energy, like I don't know what. I'm sure it's not the only electronic device that does ;)

voltz
13-01-09, 18:32
You should see how little OLED uses.

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 18:36
What a surprise, the EU sticking its nose where it shouldn't Let the individual countries decide whether they want to ban them or not. Jeez.

Love2Raid
13-01-09, 18:37
Plasma tv's use a lot of energy, compared to LCD. The classic light bulbs (? you know what I mean :p) will be banned as well soon.

Larapink
13-01-09, 18:37
What!?

I own a plasma TV. :(

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 18:42
There is no comparison when it comes to picture quality. The plasma wins hands down. I should know. I own 2 of the top notch Panasonic plasma's and a top notch Samsung LCD. It will take a while for the LCD's to catch up in overall quality, but they are getting there.

IceColdLaraCroft
13-01-09, 18:43
Plus think of all the "old" tele's people just throw out because they wanted/got a new flat panel, JUST because it's flat panel and not because they genuinely need a new tele.

voltz
13-01-09, 18:43
There is no comparison when it comes to picture quality. The plasma wins hands down. I should know. I own 2 of the top notch Panasonic plasma's and a top notch Samsung LCD. It will take a while for the LCD's to catch up in overall quality, but they are getting there.

now let's hear one from the other team...

Agent 47
13-01-09, 18:45
What a surprise, the EU sticking its nose where it shouldn't Let the individual countries decide whether they want to ban them or not. Jeez.

you preach it brother :D are we not still a sovereign nation? i think the UK needs to go ROGUE :jmp:

Larapink
13-01-09, 18:47
you preach it brother :D are we not still a sovereign nation? i think the UK needs to go ROGUE :jmp:
Argeed.

IceColdLaraCroft
13-01-09, 18:51
The UK is already ROGUE they dont use the EURO :)

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 18:51
you preach it brother :D are we not still a sovereign nation? i think the UK needs to go ROGUE :jmp:At least we still have the pound :)

@IceColdLaraCroft: I think he meant leave the EU altogether. I have to say, he has a fair point. Why should a bunch of Europeans in Belgium get to partially rule our country?

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 18:55
At least we still have the pound :)

@IceColdLaraCroft: I think he meant leave the EU altogether. I have to say, he has a fair point. Why should a bunch of Europeans in Belgium get to partially rule our country?

Don't worry, we've got your back. Big bad Belgium won't mess with our little island friend...;)

Larapink
13-01-09, 18:56
Don't worry, we've got your back. Big bad Belgium won't mess with our little island friend...;)
:tmb:

IceColdLaraCroft

you know you can multi quote if you hit the "+" in the first post you want to quote and then "quote' in the second?

*in Belgian accent like the pigs in Shrek*
"where are you going to get your cho-co-late?"
"Ja! vere?"
"No cho-co-late"

Bonez

Well, I would rather they took action to save our planet than let countries decide for themselves, because it would be pretty likely they would let the sale of Plasma TVs continue!

Agent 47
13-01-09, 18:57

i would answer that but i don't want to go all Jeremy Clarkson and upset the neighbours :vlol:

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 18:58
Well, I would rather they took action to save our planet than let countries decide for themselves, because it would be pretty likely they would let the sale of Plasma TVs continue!But why shouldn't the members of parliament we elected into power not be allowed to decide?

sandygrimm
The UK is already ROGUE they dont use the EURO :)
Us neither.

Heard it on the radio a few minutes ago..
Even if this is true. i doubt they will refuse such a business as plasmas are.
I have been in every major electronics store.. and there are hardly any more normal TVs .. only plasmas. So IMO even if they get banned or "legal" people will still get them.

voltz
Well, I would rather they took action to save our planet than let countries decide for themselves, because it would be pretty likely they would let the sale of Plasma TVs continue!

But sales will continue.... just not legally.

irjudd
13-01-09, 19:03
http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/transparency/008/images/008_vampire_energy.gif

Agent 47
13-01-09, 19:04
you know you can multi quote if you hit the "+" in the first post you want to quote and then "quote' in the second?

*in Belgian accent like the pigs in Shrek*
"where are you going to get your cho-co-late?"
"Ja! vere?"
"No cho-co-late"

Chocolate? simple

Cadbury's in England, we still own them :D

IceColdLaraCroft
13-01-09, 19:04
Oh yea like I'm really gonna buy a plasma from the back of "Ludick's truck of black market treasures"

"You want the plasma tv or the plasma for blood?...can i interest you in a kidney?"

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 19:11
But why shouldn't the members of parliament we elected into power not be allowed to decide?

Can't you just see our Mad Tony, standing outside of #10 and wearing the shiny suit and power tie of high office, pounding onto the podium and proclaiming, "we shall never surrender!!!"...;)

Encore
13-01-09, 19:17
I agree with this ban. Makes perfect sense to me... It's a luxury item anyway.

Oh yea like I'm really gonna buy a plasma from the back of "Ludick's truck of black market treasures"

"You want the plasma tv or the plasma for blood?...can i interest you in a kidney?"

:vlol:

Agent 47
13-01-09, 19:21
Can't you just see our Mad Tony, standing outside of #10 and wearing the shiny suit and power tie of high office, pounding onto the podium and proclaiming, "we shall never surrender!!!"...;)

i'd back anyone who stands by that "we shall never surrender"

a little revolution would be nice, but alas the UK doesn't have the balls to defend it's sovereignty anymore :(

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 19:33
i'd back anyone who stands by that "we shall never surrender"

a little revolution would be nice, but alas the UK doesn't have the balls to defend it's sovereignty anymore :(We don't need a revolution, just a stronger government that wont let its country get pushed around by the EU.

Neteru
13-01-09, 19:44

Though I think it seems true that it eats up energy, like I don't know what. I'm sure it's not the only electronic device that does ;)Pretty much. They like to feed the paranoias and prejudices of certain folk, some of which post here. They thrive on this kind of stuff.

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 19:48
Pretty much. They like to feed the paranoias and prejudices of certain folk, some of which post here. They thrive on this kind of stuff.

Hmmm, now who could he be referring to...;)

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 19:54
Hmmm, now who could he be referring to...;)I know exactly who he's referring to. It's obvious. However, I have no prejudices or paranoia. Is it no reasonable to be annoyed with the EU for being able to have so much control over this country?

Drone
13-01-09, 19:54
another global warming gimmick?

I don't care anyway. Dont even remember when I last time watched tv, pc is my best friend

Neteru
13-01-09, 19:55
LOL Well, not you Eddie. But it's still nice to know you've 'got our back'. :D

As to Plasma screens specifically. I don't quite understand why people buy them when LCD is a much cheaper alternative for reasonable enough quality. The leaps and bounds that LCD is coming along in (and has been for a while), I think makes them a prefereable choice to plasma.

interstellardave
13-01-09, 19:57
I like my DLP projector... :)

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 19:57
Don't Plasma screens burn an image onto the screen after a while?

Dark Lugia 2
13-01-09, 19:59
We've got a big plasma TV here :p I doubt it will be leaving anytime too soon though

@Net When we was shopping around for a new TV, the LCD ones were a couple of hundred pounds more expensive than the plasmas :p

@MT thats only if you leave a still image on for ages, like, quite a few hours. :p

tombofwinston
13-01-09, 20:01
thats crazy espeisialy belgians ruling our country :mad: the belgians arnt good polititians they should join the chocolate business instead (no offense):)

Neteru
13-01-09, 20:01
Don't Plasma screens burn an image onto the screen after a while?

They can do. But I understand that like LCD they are less prone to burn in nowadays.

@Net When we was shopping around for a new TV, the LCD ones were a couple of hundred pounds more expensive than the plasmas :pThey were? Crumbs.

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 20:02
I know exactly who he's referring to. It's obvious. However, I have no prejudices or paranoia. Is it no reasonable to be annoyed with the EU for being able to have so much control over this country?

Well, look at it this way. Would the US accept any position in any organization that would not place them at the top, or at the very least as a top leader with veto power? No. But the US and the UK are two different animals.

Mad Tony, you should listen to B.A.D.'s song Union Jack. It's something that I'm sure you would like.

Another Lara
13-01-09, 20:03

Oh yes! And I should know I work there!:pi:

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 20:03
Yeap, we've got a plasma screen as well: 37 in I think. All the problems with Plasma, such as screen burn and dead pixels pretty much went with the second generation of screens. They are better than LCD's if you are looking at them over a wider area, so if it in a corner, you can look at the screen at an angle of 180 degrees and still see the picture perfectly- unlike a LCD one.

Oh god, I sound like a TV salesman!:D

Bonez
13-01-09, 20:04
But why shouldn't the members of parliament we elected into power not be allowed to decide?

Because it would make sense that the EU as a whole would not allow the sale of Plasma TVs, otherwise we will have some countries that do sell them and some that don't. As a group we all have to tackly the problem of Climate Change and Global Warming, so an altogether ban makes much more sense.

But sales will continue.... just not legally.

I'm sure they will, but the number of Plasma TVs will definetly be reduced, so there will be fewer carbon emissions from them.

SamReeves
13-01-09, 20:04
Let's round up the greenies and send them to Gitmo. They can meet their idols there. :wve:

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 20:05
LOL Well, not you Eddie. But it's still nice to know you've 'got our back'. :D

As to Plasma screens specifically. I don't quite understand why people buy them when LCD is a much cheaper alternative for reasonable enough quality. The leaps and bounds that LCD is coming along in (and has been for a while), I think makes them a prefereable choice to plasma.

Heheh, I knew it wasn't me. But I also knew who you were referring to as well.

As far as the LCD/plasma debate, the plasma has a picture that is so real, you would swear you were looking through a window. The LCD picture is very good, but not quite up to that quality.

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 20:05
Its the Whole EU "sticking its nose into things" thing that gets me. It started as a sort of trade club and now they're deciding what TV's we can buy.

Neteru
13-01-09, 20:09
As far as the LCD/plasma debate, the plasma has a picture that is so real, you would swear you were looking through a window. The LCD picture is very good, but not quite up to that quality.I must confess I've only seen SD on plasma. No HD material. Only on LCD.

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 20:10
Because it would make sense that the EU as a whole would not allow the sale of Plasma TVs, otherwise we will have some countries that do sell them and some that don't. As a group we all have to tackly the problem of Climate Change and Global Warming, so an altogether ban makes much more sense.

Its the Whole EU "sticking its nose into things" thing that gets me. It started as a sort of trade club and now they're deciding what TV's we can buy.This :tmb: This is Britain. Only British MPs should be able to decide whether or not to ban plasma TVs, or any other things for that matter.

Bonez
13-01-09, 20:12
This :tmb: This is Britain. Only British MPs should be able to decide whether or not to ban plasma TVs, or any other things for that matter.

Our government probably wouldn't care if they sold them here though, which is why its good.

Surely you want to save our planet?

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 20:14
Let's round up the greenies and send them to Gitmo. They can meet their idols there. :wve:

Gross generalization there Sam. Greenies and terrorists don't mix...unless their eco-terrorists...;)

Terrorist at gitmo: "What you in for?"

Greenie: "I tried to prevent nations from using plasma tv's".

Terrorist: "How many you kill to do this?"

Greenie: "Huh?"

Terrorost: "How many tv imperialists die by your hands for this transgression?"

Greenie: "Uhhhh, guard, guard, GUAAAAARRRRRDDDDD!!!!"

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 20:14
This :tmb: This is Britain. Only British MPs should be able to decide whether or not to ban plasma TVs, or any other things for that matter.

Yay! Its almost as bad as the whole thing about phasing out normal light bulbs for those energy saving ones. Somehow its better for the world, even though they're filled with mercury and give people migraines.

And the idea of making all EU cars have their lights on all day every day. Gah, please don't get me started.

Bonez
13-01-09, 20:16
Yay! Its almost as bad as the whole thing about phasing out normal light bulbs for those energy saving ones. Somehow its better for the world, even though they're filled with mercury and give people migraines.

How can you not see this as a good idea?! There may be some negatives, but they will slowly be ironed out as the technology gets better. With the amount of light that we use, its a fantastic plus, and will have a great effect on us doing something to save our planet.

Seb_01225
i prefer LCD. :)

tombofwinston
And the idea of making all EU cars have their lights on all day every day. Gah, please don't get me started.

AHHHHH what is the world coming to!!:hea:

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 20:17
Our government probably wouldn't care if they sold them here though, which is why its good.

Surely you want to save our planet?It should be up to the British people to decide, or at least the people they elected. It's not democracy if our own elected members of parliament can't control the country. This isn't about banning plasma TVs, it's about who's banning them. I don't think I'd mind half as much if it were British MPs saying this and not European MPs.

Punaxe
13-01-09, 20:18
The EU is not about 'pushing member states around', it is about coming together and make the best decisions on a larger scale. This plasma TV ban, like the lightbulb ban, makes sense and only makes a difference if done on such a large scale. Leaving this up to the individual members would not only cost all these members a lot of time to do themselves, it would also diminish the effect. I think the EU is perfectly in its right to make this decision.

Bonez
13-01-09, 20:18
It should be up to the British people to decide, or at least the people they elected. It's not democracy if our own elected members of parliament can't control the country.

But if its doing a good thing for the environment in the long term it shouldn't matter too much.

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 20:19
How can you not see this as a good idea?! There may be some negatives, but they will slowly be ironed out as the technology gets better. With the amount of light that we use, its a fantastic plus, and will have a great effect on us doing something to save our planet.

But its currently not. The bulbs have been proven to have negative health impacts, and forcing people to adopt them will only increase illnesses such as migraines and vision problems, which in turn wastes resources. When the technology is perfect, then yes, but currently, I can see them doing more bad then good. Plus, they're filled with mercury, which means you can't simply throw them out, you have to dispose of them specially, which is even more labour and energy intensive than normal bulbs.

Its like the Prius: the batteries in the cars are stuffed with deadly chemicals, and we have not clue how to dispose of them.

Neteru
13-01-09, 20:20
Bearing in mind that we do in fact elect members to the European parliament.

Besides which, plasma TV's are not being banned.

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 20:21
But if its doing a good thing for the environment in the long term it shouldn't matter too much.It does matter if it isn't decided entirely by our own elected officials. This is my whole point here.

Bonez
13-01-09, 20:24
It does matter if it isn't decided entirely by our own elected officials. This is my whole point here.

Well whatever, but if you can't see that this is a good thing for the environment, it makes me wonder what you are taught in Geography?!

In A Level geography, we have just learnt about the environment and the tipping point etc. Its scary stuff!

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 20:27
Bearing in mind that we do in fact elect members to the European parliament.

We do, but they have little actual power. Covering the EU in my Politics A level really opened my eyes. Did you know that they spent more on positive advertising than most companies do? Yet they haven't actually managed to have accountants sign off their budgets for 14 years running.

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 20:28
We do, but they have little actual power. Covering the EU in my Politics A level really opened my eyes. Did you know that they spent more on positive advertising than most companies do? Yet they haven't actually managed to have accountants sign off their budgets for 14 years running.You can do A level politics?

Well whatever, but if you can't see that this is a good thing for the environment, it makes me wonder what you are taught in Geography?!

In A Level geography, we have just learnt about the environment and the tipping point etc. Its scary stuff!Personally I think there are more important things to be worrying about than banning plasma TVs. As I said though, I wouldn't mind so much if it came from Westminster.

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 20:30
Yeap, it was an A level choice at my school, and I thought it would go well with History.

Last year was UK politics, this year US.

Bonez
13-01-09, 20:30
You can do A level politics?

Yep, you can. I was going to do it, but I took music instead.

Personally I think there are more important things to be worrying about than banning plasma TVs. As I said though, I wouldn't mind so much if it came from Westminster.

Well, anything that helps is good imo.

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 20:33
Yeap, it was an A level choice at my school, and I thought it would go well with History.

Last year was UK politics, this year US.Wow, I would kill to do that in my school. :p Not sure if they do that in the college I'm planning on going to, but whatever happens I am not going to sixth form.

Forwen
13-01-09, 20:41

Yes, shall UK be the EU's pariah or one of America's Trojan horses? :D Hmmm, tough choice... But that's post-imperial reality for ya!

I'm all for the concept of EU, but NOT in this eurocratic regulations-happy PC-obsessed form. Precisely because - among other things - because it breeds the likes of Mad Tony and his local versions in respective EU countries ;)

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 20:53
Yes, shall UK be the EU's pariah or one of America's Trojan horses? :D Hmmm, tough choice... But that's post-imperial reality for ya!

I'm all for the concept of EU, but NOT in this eurocratic regulations-happy PC-obsessed form. Precisely because - among other things - because it breeds the likes of Mad Tony and his local versions in respective EU countries ;)Again, I'm gonna have to repeat what I said - why is it unreasonable for me to be unhappy with the amount of control the EU has over this country?

Trigger_happy
13-01-09, 21:04
Yes, the UK's position on the UE puts it in an odd place, but disagreeing with the EU is not something that makes you a Pariah. Its a perfectly valid, and in these times, important topic of discussion.

Eddie Haskell
13-01-09, 21:06
Again, I'm gonna have to repeat what I said - why is it unreasonable for me to be unhappy with the amount of control the EU has over this country?

There are many songs by British artists bemoaning the UK's loss of power and prestige since WWII (the song Union Jack by Big Audio Dynamite as I mentioned earlier is a good one). It was inevitable. However, the culture has yet to catch up with this fact, and even today many still cling to this notion that the UK has far more power than it does. They feel that EU membership somehow subordinates them, as if they were far and above the other European nations.

What you call control, is actually cooperation and mutual benefit. The US of Bush thinks like a dinosaur compared to the bold and advanced thinking of the EU. Most of the time...;)

Forwen
13-01-09, 21:06
Again, I'm gonna have to repeat what I said - why is it unreasonable for me to be unhappy with the amount of control the EU has over this country?

Oh, be unhappy all you like, but at this point there's no realistic chance of UK pulling out of EU anytime soon. So instead of complaining I'd love to hear your and Agent's plan to overthrow the EU's tyranny in UK, one that would actually work. Because who'd lead your revolution? The middle class employing cheap Eastern European nannies and supporting UK's disarmament because it's a "good thing to do"? The London's working class? :D Face it, you're stuck. Now it's time to quit complaining and make the best of it - taking on France and its precious yet undeniably ridiculous Common Agricultural Policy would be a good start.

And that's because in terms of foreign policy UK is a weakening partner, the times of "no permanent alliances and no permanent enemies, but permanent interests" is over. UK's never gonna be a "friend" of US in its current state, just its lapdog. In EU, it could be one of major players, just chooses not to be.

Me? I just like the idea of the United States of Europe, as impossible as it is in its current bureaucracy-ridden minority-obsessed bloated state. Sovereignty alone has no real value to me.

They feel that EU membership somehow subordinates them, as if they were far and above the other European nations.

Well, the notion of "Europe" is uniformly unpopular throughout most of the member states, it's just the idea of what this ominous "Europe" is is completely different depending on which member state you ask ;)

Yes, the UK's position on the UE puts it in an odd place, but disagreeing with the EU is not something that makes you a Pariah. Its a perfectly valid, and in these times, important topic of discussion.

Yeah, and that's exactly what I'd love UK to do more. But it just sits there on the fringes with its other ear to the phone connected to the White House and transmits the Will of the Uncle Sam.

Agent 47
13-01-09, 21:13

it's unreasonable because they want folks like you and i to became nodding little yes men, yes sir no sir three bags full sir :cen: that, aint gonna happen MT, i aint no noddy.

to be governed by fools in Brussels isn't cricket. this government is too spineless to say " steady on old chap but you're taking this power distribution lark too far"

"be apart of Europe but not run by Europe" William Hague said that :D

Mad Tony
13-01-09, 21:13
There are many songs by British artists bemoaning the UK's loss of power and prestige since WWII (the song Union Jack by Big Audio Dynamite as I mentioned earlier is a good one). It was inevitable. However, the culture has yet to catch up with this fact, and even today many still cling to this notion that the UK has far more power than it does. They feel that EU membership somehow subordinates them, as if they were far and above the other European nations.

What you call control, is actually cooperation and mutual benefit. The US of Bush thinks like a dinosaur compared to the bold and advanced thinking of the EU. Most of the time...;)Oh I have nothing against actually being in the EU, I'm just not happy with the fact that people outside of the UK get to have a say about what goes on inside the UK.

@Agent: :tmb:

@Forwen: I don't see what's wrong with a strong alliance with the US.

Forwen
13-01-09, 21:15
"be apart of Europe but not run by Europe" William Hague said that :D

Is that a deliberate typo? :D

Forwen
13-01-09, 21:19
@Forwen: I don't see what's wrong with a strong alliance with the US.

Oh, it would be fantastic if it was EU's alliance with America, and that's something UK could be mostly responsible for. Because what now EU needs most is unity, and unity in what precisely comes next - that's why I was truly happy when Sarkozy and Merkel elections broke the pro-Russia axis in EU and oriented it more towards America (let's not talk about Georgia shall we? *shakes fist at Italy*). So long as we agree I'm cool.

But UK's alliance with America is unbalanced, simple as. You're just not equal partners anymore in anything, sorry.

IceColdLaraCroft
13-01-09, 21:51
Britons never ever shall be slaves....except to tea.

Angelus
13-01-09, 21:55
Plus think of all the "old" tele's people just throw out because they wanted/got a new flat panel, JUST because it's flat panel and not because they genuinely need a new tele.

It's ridiculous, isn't it? My Dad's friend went out and bought a 50" Plasma TV just because he wanted a new TV. There was nothing wrong with his other TV... it was a 32" "normal" TV!

EDIT: Too many uses of the word "TV" in this post, methinks.

IceColdLaraCroft
13-01-09, 22:03
It's ridiculous, isn't it? My Dad's friend went out and bought a 50" Plasma TV just because he wanted a new TV. There was nothing wrong with his other TV... it was a 32" "normal" TV!

Friends of mine want to do the same thing, but they also have a really big media cabinet and they're saying "well if we get a new tv we might as well get a new stand for it and if we get an HD we'll get a blu-ray to replace the DVD player and surround sound.

It just never ends. Her dad bought a 50" and I noticed when I was over their house that around the edges of the screen it cuts off some words/scenes and they said "oh yea it does that but if you correct it there's a black border around the screen.

I just can't understand why you'd pay $2000 for a television.

Agent 47
13-01-09, 22:05
Britons never ever shall be slaves....except to tea.

nothing wrong with tea :mad: ah! Tetley's :D

;)

irjudd
13-01-09, 23:01

There was plenty wrong with his Television. It was clearly too small :p

da tomb raider!
13-01-09, 23:10
Doesn't bother me, I have a standard 14" TV. :D

siouxsiecrux
13-01-09, 23:18
Excellent, I am very glad that they are actually considering doing things to slow down global warming.

Ward Dragon
13-01-09, 23:27
I think banning plasma TV's is ridiculous. I live in the US and my family has been looking at HD TV's lately since all TV signals will only be broadcast in HD starting in February. We don't have cable TV, so if we want the standard "free" channels we need to either get an HD TV or a converter box (and I hear the converter boxes suck). All of the LCD TV's we saw had really crappy pictures. They were blurry, the colors were off, and there were ghost trails following anything that moved on the screen. The plasma TV's looked considerably better.

siouxsiecrux
13-01-09, 23:29
I think banning plasma TV's is ridiculous. I live in the US and my family has been looking at HD TV's lately since all TV signals will only be broadcast in HD starting in February. We don't have cable TV, so if we want the standard "free" channels we need to either get an HD TV or a converter box (and I hear the converter boxes suck). All of the LCD TV's we saw had really crappy pictures. They were blurry, the colors were off, and there were ghost trails following anything that moved on the screen. The plasma TV's looked considerably better.

This isn't about the quality of the picture, its about helping to save the planet.

Ward Dragon
13-01-09, 23:31
This isn't about the quality of the picture, its about helping to save the planet.

The planet's been around for ages before us and it will be around for ages after we die. What's the point of making life miserable while we're still here?

Agent 47
13-01-09, 23:33

you live in the US? i think you'll be fine. it appears it's just EU wanting to slow down technical progress. bah! buy a plasma if you want one, i doubt SWAT will crash your home and remove it by force :D

White Rabbit
13-01-09, 23:35
They are not targetting plasma TVs specifically. The introduction of minimum energy efficiency laws that apply across all household appliances means that some plasmas will be banned as a result:
The most energy intensive will be phased out under the new EU standards for minimum energy performance, which will follow the voluntary withdrawal of the traditional 100watt light bulb.

The planet's been around for ages before us and it will be around for ages after we die. What's the point of making life miserable while we're still here?
Not planning on having any children? Will your life be miserable without a plasma TV? Isn't everyone trying to not make their lives miserable by taking care of the planet?

Ward Dragon
13-01-09, 23:38
you live in the US? i think you'll be fine. it appears it's just EU wanting to slow down technical progress. bah! buy a plasma if you want one, i doubt SWAT will crash your home and remove it by force :D

True :p

They are not targetting plasma TVs specifically. The introduction of minimum energy efficiency laws that apply across all household appliances means that some plasmas will be banned as a result.

That's somewhat more reasonable in principle then, although I don't know what would be a fair target for energy efficiency so I can't comment if the law is reasonable.

Quasimodo
13-01-09, 23:54

But the carbon dioxide emissions from plasma TVs will make the heavens split asunder, locusts will swarm the fields, and rivers shall turn red as blood...
*spooky fingers* *snerk*

lararoxs
13-01-09, 23:54
Oh come on! The EU think that banning HD Plasma TV's will really help the environment. Tell that the the petrol heads that burn fuel by ship load. Is it really going to make much difference other than making more people miserable? If you really want to help the environment then turn it off standby when your done, simple as.

Ward Dragon
14-01-09, 00:11
Not planning on having any children? Will your life be miserable without a plasma TV? Isn't everyone trying to not make their lives miserable by taking care of the planet?

My personal life is none of your business and besides it is totally irrelevant to the topic. The world's not going to end if people buy plasma TV's and it's not going to be saved if they don't. Human beings don't matter. In the grand scheme of things, we are insignificant. The world will survive whether or not people today go to extraordinary lengths to reduce their "carbon footprint" and other such nonsense. Let's have low-flow toilets to save water, but they just clog a lot and need to be constantly flushed. Let's have dim lights to save energy, but they don't provide enough light so people turn more on at once. Let's have hybrid cars, but they run off of electricity anyway so the power plant consumes more fossil fuels. It's aggravating and serves no real purpose other than to make people feel guilty just for being human.

But the carbon dioxide emissions from plasma TVs will make the heavens split asunder, locusts will swarm the fields, and rivers shall turn red as blood...
*spooky fingers* *snerk*

Indeed.

The Great Chi
14-01-09, 00:22
Brittain is their own worst enemy :vlol:

Before long, they will all be sitting in the dark using candles, putting sheep in their living room for instant wool to cloth themselves, sitting in front of a steam driven TV, and falling over themselves with no street lights.

The rest of us in the real world will still be burning energy galore, shops with neon lights blazing, and have gas fired barbicues all the time :D

As for TVs well I have a 50 inch plasma at present, its brilliant, and I intend to get a 70 inch soon, so hard luck Brittain, the rest of the world laughs at you lot controlled by greenies :p

PS... I remember when you had the 3 day week under Tory Ted Heath (look it up in the web) no heating, no lighting, no work, and you were all one miserable lot. Looks like you will be going the same way again , if you don't wize up ;)

Neteru
14-01-09, 00:30
...What are you talking about 'Britain'. This is about European legislation. Try reading the article, unlike just about everyone else posting in this thread. I say AGAIN.

Plasma TV's are NOT being banned. :rolleyes:

And as for the three day week Chi. Miserable lot? I had a great time and didn't feel in the slightest bit miserable during that time.

Tihocan9
14-01-09, 00:31
I don't think it awful, even though the individual countries shoudl decide for themselves I do think that thinking about the environment is good, I don't think it should be over done but getting rid of unnecessary large consumers of energy should be limited such as Plasma TVs I mean an LCD is fine, and not as expensive, I know some people want that super high definition but is it really needed, there are much better things that the energy could be used for, it isn't just about saving the environment but also about saving our supply of energy and not over doing it.

Agent 47
14-01-09, 00:32

Before long, they will all be sitting in the dark using candles, putting sheep in their living room for instant wool to cloth themselves, sitting in front of a steam driven TV, and falling over themselves with no street lights.

The rest of us in the real world will still be burning energy galore, shops with neon lights blazing, and have gas fired barbicues all the time :D

As for TVs well I have a 50 inch plasma at present, its brilliant, and I intend to get a 70 inch soon, so hard luck Brittain, the rest of the world laughs at you lot controlled by greenies :p

PS... I remember when you had the 3 day week under Tory Ted Heath (look it up in the web) no heating, no lighting, no work, and you were all one miserable lot. Looks like you will be going the same way again , if you don't wize up ;)

and i remember when the UK had a say in world order, the globe should thank us for dragging them out of the stoneage with all the inventions we came up with that we all take for granted just like the Romans gave us a decent water sanitary system, they also gave us a genetic code for conquest :vlol:

that's one T in Britain btw :D

Lew
14-01-09, 00:33

You've obviously never been to Britain, goto any major city at night and you will see shop lights still on, nightclubs with their attractive lights :P, all sorts. And sicne when did Europe just become Britain?

Agent 47
14-01-09, 00:35
You've obviously never been to Britain, goto any major city at night and you will see shop lights still on, nightclubs with their attractive lights :P, all sorts. And sicne when did Europe just become Britain?

*since* :D

or Britain become Europe :vlol:

Lew
14-01-09, 00:38
^ LOL :D shh you I'm tired but awake! Makes my brain function less :P

spikejones
14-01-09, 00:40

huh.. i heard it was the other way around. but then again it may just be a typical sales pitch that the one you just so happen to be looking at is the best on the market (didnt happen to me... someone else). anyhooo.. ive been at the electronics section looking at televisions and to be honest with you.. I never paid attention to which was plasma and which was LCD most of the time. I mainly looked at features like if it had PIP and what type of A/V connections it had and how many of each. I also mess with the color and picture settings on each of them to see what they look like when tweaked. Sometimes youll see a particular TV that looks way more stunning than the rest of them and you think "THAT is the one I want". But if you were to check out the picture settings on that one compared to the others - its been tweaked to look that way. Usually they look no better than the rest when you set it back to factory settings. Just a little trick they're using to push sales of a certain model. - ie the most expensive but not necessarily the best one.

The Great Chi
14-01-09, 00:42
there's one T in Britain btw :DWhat, you have cut back on your 'T's as well ::D

Agent 47
14-01-09, 00:46
What, you have cut back on your 'T's as well ::D

say what?? it's never been 2 T's :vlol:

i have at least 6 cups a day :D

spikejones
14-01-09, 01:06

major corrections need to be made to this statement. I'll begin with the part about it being going to all HDTV. That is totally false. What will be happening is a switch from using over the air ANALOG signals (which are currently occupying radio frequency bandwidth which will be re-allocated by the FCC) to a DIGITAL signal. Nothing about that means it will be all High Definition. You will still be able to use your normal cable television with your old CRT screen, nothing is gonna happen to that. Having just relocated from an area that made the swap early (back in late November, early December) as a pilot program, I can tell you that the converter boxes for rabbit ears aren't a bit crappy. My room-mate had one and it gave some pretty good quality picture with no fuzzy lines or any of the other stuff you would typically see with an analog signal on rabbit ears. It also had MORE channels than the old analog signals we were getting. I can also attest to not needing the converter box period! That is if you are content to run a long stretch of coaxial cable and do a bit of modification to it. You get most of the channels you do with the converter box (sans the secondary weather channels for each network, and lesser quality image - still get the fuzzies and rolls on occassion). I found this out quite easily actually. I had been using a long (and I mean REALLY long) coaxial cable run from the living room all the way down the hall through two bedrooms and down into the other apartment (sharing/stealing cable originally, until he disconnected the splitter). But then it just became a better antenna than any rabbit ears I ever used. So any how, one day I went to watch the TV and found that I had no channels - they had made the switch early and without warning (that I was aware of since I dont watch news). So I started fiddling around in the back with the cord and realized that if I unscrewed it and had only the inner wire touching in the hole - i got my picture back!! So... not wanting to hold it like that I got out a pair of pliers and pulled that sucker on out some more so I could just insert the middle wire and leave the screw part off. Voila!! digital reception WITHOUT a converter box.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Time Warner!!!

Ward Dragon
14-01-09, 01:20
Voila!! digital reception WITHOUT a converter box.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Time Warner!!!

Ha ha, nice :D

We don't have cable TV at all, and the stupid TV commercials keep saying we need cable, an HDTV or a converter box in order to see any television channels whatsoever after the switch. We're probably going to get the converter box, but we were keeping an eye out for HDTV's just in case there was a good one for a reasonable price. For some reason I was under the impression that digital signals were HD, but I haven't really looked into it yet so thanks for correcting me :)

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 01:28

We don't have cable TV at all, and the stupid TV commercials keep saying we need cable, an HDTV or a converter box in order to see any television channels whatsoever after the switch. We're probably going to get the converter box, but we were keeping an eye out for HDTV's just in case there was a good one for a reasonable price. For some reason I was under the impression that digital signals were HD, but I haven't really looked into it yet so thanks for correcting me :)

The only difference is that when the air signal is weak for an analog one, you get a snowy picture, and when it is weak for the digital the image on the screen kind of sputters, stops or goes black. The digital picture is always picture perfect when you get it, but sometimes the signal strength is not strong enough to maintain it.

Now HD is another matter, as spikejones laid it out. Digital and HD are not interchangeable words.

Agent 47
14-01-09, 01:28

over here in UK BBC, ITV and Channel 4 have HD stations, downer being though to view them i'd need to buy Freesat :( my TV does have digital Freeview built in though :D

Mr.Burns
14-01-09, 01:30
I like my DLP projector... :)
totally random here but I actually met one of the engineers who designed the DLP technology.

The clue? DLP chips lying all over the living room. :whi:

I like my LCD tv. I've never been a fan of plasma technology. Besides, I would rather have superb sound then superb video and crappy sound.

EDIT:

@Jenn and Eddie:

Jenn: Hurry. Go get your converter boxes or blackmail your parents into getting an HDTV :p
Eddie: Typically the digital OTA is much more susceptible to terrestrial interference (Cell towers, trees, buildings, etc). Where Jenn is, a larger directional antenna is needed.

Ward Dragon
14-01-09, 01:30
The only difference is that when the air signal is weak for an analog one, you get a snowy picture, and when it is weak for the digital the image on the screen kind of sputters, stops or goes black. The digital picture is always picture perfect when you get it, but sometimes the signal strength is not strong enough to maintain it.

Now HD is another matter, as spikejones laid it out. Digital and HD are not interchangeable words.

Ah, thank you for the further explanation. I knew I had heard something about the converter boxes I didn't like and that would be it. However since you just said that it is due to it being a digital signal (not necessarily the converter box) then I assume this would be a problem even with an HDTV?

spikejones
14-01-09, 01:31

no problem. happy to oblige:D

i guess I can see where that misconception can come from considering what the commercials say. I'll put it to you this way... digital cable from Time Warner has very few HD channels in the line up. At least on the base package. Its basically your standard cable package with an added on HD tier. The signal comes through in a digital format - much like that if you were to go on abc.com and watch videos through their player. But its mostly standard definition (430 or something like that). There's some 720i channels in the lineup and very few 1080i or 1080p channels - i think discovery HD might be the only one. Apparently 1080p is the best right now.

But back to what I was saying.. if you check out the media player on abc.com it has both standard definition (which is the quality of picture you would get from standard cable) and high definition resolution. Thats about the best way I can show you that digital doesnt mean HD.

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 01:36
Ah, thank you for the further explanation. I knew I had heard something about the converter boxes I didn't like and that would be it. However since you just said that it is due to it being a digital signal (not necessarily the converter box) then I assume this would be a problem even with an HDTV?

I have two converter boxes (if our govt hands out free money, I take it), and I have no trouble getting a great signal here in the big city. I have cable, but not on old kitchen tv. The converter box (a zenith from circuit city) works absolutely perfect.

Here's a side note to this, I hooked up an antenna to my plasma and I have to tell you the picture is much better with the air signal than through the cable. A lot better.

Mr.Burns
14-01-09, 01:37
@Spike: TWC also compresses the hell out of their HD signal. Given the fact that their signals typically top out at around 1000 Mhz at the house (which RG59 could handle), the picture quality really does suffer. Now take Dish Network for example (yea, I work for them). Ignoring the transmission frequency from the satellites to the dish antennas, our signal tops out at 2150 Mhz. Double the frequency load, plus using MPEG 4, not only are we able to carry more than cable but with less compression. We also offer 1080P Video on Demand service. No one else has 1080P.

Okay, I'm a Dish Dork but I like the product. :)

@Eddie: Like I said, TWC compresses the hell out of their signal. The digital OTA is uncompressed.

spikejones
14-01-09, 01:39
digital formats suffer from getting out of sync audio and video wise as well... basically what the cable company is doing is streaming you a WMV video (or whatever format they use). it comes down the line as an electrical current. bits if you will. and your computer (i mean box) has to put the pieces back together - on the fly.

my room mate did complain that whenever there was a storm his signal would drop out on occassion and the screen went black, which is something that Eddie Pointed out.

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 01:41
@Spike: TWC also compresses the hell out of their HD signal. Given the fact that their signals typically top out at around 1000 Mhz at the house (which RG59 could handle), the picture quality really does suffer. Now take Dish Network for example (yea, I work for them). Ignoring the transmission frequency from the satellites to the dish antennas, our signal tops out at 2150 Mhz. Double the frequency load, plus using MPEG 4, not only are we able to carry more than cable but with less compression. We also offer 1080P Video on Demand service. No one else has 1080P.

Okay, I'm a Dish Dork but I like the product. :)

@Eddie: Like I said, TWC compresses the hell out of their signal. The digital OTA is uncompressed.

That would explain it, and I was shocked when I viewed the difference in picture quality. If it weren't for all of the content I would miss, I would dump the ever hated Comcast in a heartbeat...:)

Neteru
14-01-09, 01:46
It has to be said that in the case of digital terrestrial transmissions at the moment, in regard to the susceptibility of signal breakup, this is largely due to the fact that the transmitters currently have to use low signal strength so as not to interfere with analogue signals. When analogue signals are turned off, that should (I say should) mean they can then increase the strength of the digital signal.

Mr.Burns
14-01-09, 01:47
That would explain it, and I was shocked when I viewed the difference in picture quality. If it weren't for all of the content I would miss, I would dump the ever hated Comcast in a heartbeat...:)

*coughs*gowithdishnetwork*coughs* :whi:

Seriously though, it's cheaper than Comcast, better picture quality, better DVR service, etc etc. But yea, I was stuck with TWC HD for four years before I found a place that let me have Dish. BIG difference. Take the Discovery Channel. On cable it's horribly pixelated. Satellite: nice and clear.

@Net: Not very likely over here since the analogue frequencies are set to be used to expand mobile and wi fi services.

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 01:50
*coughs*gowithdishnetwork*coughs* :whi:

Seriously though, it's cheaper than Comcast, better picture quality, better DVR service, etc etc. But yea, I was stuck with TWC HD for four years before I found a place that let me have Dish. BIG difference. Take the Discovery Channel. On cable it's horribly pixelated. Satellite: nice and clear.

All of buddies tell me horror stories about wind, rain, snow, space ships, etc interfering with the signal using the dish. But I do see them all over the houses in my neighborhood. So obviously many find the service good.

spikejones
14-01-09, 01:52
@Net: Not very likely over here since the analogue frequencies are set to be used to expand mobile and wi fi services.

I thought it was supposed to go for emergency response units?

Neteru
14-01-09, 01:53
That's partly why I say 'should' because there is some consideration of auctioning off the frequencies here, and unfortunately I think money will be the motivating factor and ofcom will be too tempted.

As to signal strength as it is. I've been viewing digital broadcasts for about five years now, maybe six, and I've rarely had any problem with signal loss. Indeed, in my previous home I didn't even need an aerial! :D

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 01:54
That's partly why I say 'should' because there is some consideration of auctioning off the frequencies here, and unfortunately I think money will be the motivating factor and ofcom will be too tempted.

As to signal strength as it is. I've been viewing digital broadcasts for about five years now, maybe six, and I've rarely had any problem with signal loss. Indeed, in my previous home I didn't even need an aerial! :D

Where was that, Windsor Castle? ;)

Agent 47
14-01-09, 01:59
Where was that, Windsor Castle? ;)

:vlol:
depends on where you live really. the digital signal can be good or terribly bad.

Mr.Burns
14-01-09, 02:00
@Spike: Honestly, I'm not 100% sure, I know Verizon is interested in those frequencies.

@Net: Geez man, were you right next to the towers? :p
@Eddie::vlol:

Oh to the Dish, assuming the dish is aimed in correctly, is grounded and proper cable is used, signal loss should be minimal. I've had mine for four months now, not grounded and I haven't lost signal at all. Oddly enough, I tend to hear the signal loss horror stories from DirecTV customers. Dunno why but that system could be properly installed but if you fart on the dish, they lose signal. *shrugs*

Neteru
14-01-09, 02:01
Where was that, Windsor Castle? ;)LOL No, strangely on the South East coast. I say strangely because the signal has to be lower there so as not to interfere with West Coast European broadcasts.

@Net: Geez man, were you right next to the towers? :pNo. Further away than before that actually. But in direct line of sight.

Ikas90
14-01-09, 02:41
Plasma TVs get in-screen burns when playing too much video games. So they aren't good anyway. :)

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 02:45
Plasma TVs get in-screen burns when playing too much video games. So they aren't good anyway. :)

They can, but nowadays that risk is considerably lessened. I should tell all that I thought I was having that problem, and Panasonic paid for a technician to come to my home and check it out. He made a slight adjustment (what he did I couldn't tell you, I was in Washington DC at the time), and that was that. I play computer games on my plasma all the time without this issue cropping up.

voltz
14-01-09, 03:51
I'm still wondering if plasmas have the same issue with pulling native resolution for games and text like lcd. Frankly I wouldn't mind hooking up a few arcade boards, but if lag and the image is scaled, this isn't something I'm willing to bother with.

And there's no chance in hell I'll be safe using one for a pc monitor. :mad:

Melonie Tomb Raider
14-01-09, 04:01
I have a Plasma tv but I live in the good ol' USA, so no worries. :D

IceColdLaraCroft
14-01-09, 13:40
I have a Plasma tv but I live in the good ol' USA, so no worries. :D

You might have to change your location from "God's Green Earth" to "God's rubbish bin" if people keep trashing tvs for plasma and LCD

White Rabbit
14-01-09, 14:06
My personal life is none of your business and besides it is totally irrelevant to the topic.
That's for your children to decide. ;)
The world's not going to end if people buy plasma TV's and it's not going to be saved if they don't. Human beings don't matter. In the grand scheme of things, we are insignificant. The world will survive whether or not people today go to extraordinary lengths to reduce their "carbon footprint" and other such nonsense. Let's have low-flow toilets to save water, but they just clog a lot and need to be constantly flushed. Let's have dim lights to save energy, but they don't provide enough light so people turn more on at once. Let's have hybrid cars, but they run off of electricity anyway so the power plant consumes more fossil fuels. It's aggravating and serves no real purpose other than to make people feel guilty just for being human.
Well, I guess this answers my question about having children... :whi:
Unlike you, other people may want the human species to survive beyond your lifetime, and part of that involves keeping the planet habitable for everyone.

Your original question is actually a very good argument for saving the planet:

Flyin11
14-01-09, 14:31
Hmm....Interesting. I never thought of the power consumption effect on a Plasma TV. I never really was thrilled with them anyways. Yeah, you might get a better picture but Plasmas are only suppose to last 2-3 years. That's the life cycle of the Plasma bulbs in the TV. That's what I heard from a salesman at a electronics store I use to work out a while back and he really knew his stuff. Not sure on LCD life cycles and all but Projection TV's are suppose to last 10+ years. They are big though but if you have room, they are quite nice. I have a 46" Sony and enjoy HDTV and games on it everyday :cool: It's all a matter of preference though as Plasma and LCD TVs are great for people who don't have a lot of space for a big TV. Plasmas also have the greatest chance of burn ins as well if you leave something on the screen for a long period of time and you can't get those out. Plasmas are pretty good but they are WAY overpriced IMO...

interstellardave
14-01-09, 14:50
totally random here but I actually met one of the engineers who designed the DLP technology.

The clue? DLP chips lying all over the living room. :whi:

The picture is terrific, great blacks, crystal clarity, etc... even at the 92-inch size I'm currently displaying. And as for value, it beats any traditional "box" television hands down.

I'd advise anyone who has a large room for it to take a hard look at video projectors... you aren't sacrificing quality one bit and the picture size is limited only to the size of the screen/wall you wish to display it on (wall display requires a special paint... I'm not sure how well that works).

irjudd
14-01-09, 14:54
The picture is terrific, great blacks, crystal clarity, etc... even at the 92-inch size I'm currently displaying. And as for value, it beats any traditional "box" television hands down.

I'd advise anyone who has a large room for it to take a hard look at video projectors... you aren't sacrificing quality one bit and the picture size is limited only to the size of the screen/wall you wish to display it on (wall display requires a special paint... I'm not sure how well that works).
Surely there are cons, there are cons to everything. What would you say those are?

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 14:59
Surely there are cons, there are cons to everything. What would you say those are?

The mirrors...millions of tiny mirrors... It's the mirrors...did we me mention mirrors!
V8rbyDsRPf4

interstellardave
14-01-09, 15:12

One con is that, because the image is projected across the room no-one can sit/stand in front of it like a normal TV... but that's not a hard adjustment, really... and that's also because I just have it sitting on the coffee table downstairs, with the couch behind it, and a lounger next to it-which also means if you move the table you have to re-aim the projector again. I'd like to mount it to the cieling--or on the back wall but I've just been too lazy to do it. :p That is what most people do, though, so it's up and out of the way. We just make sure not to move the table around!

Another down-side is that you need something else for the audio, like a surround-sound set-up of some kind... so that does add to the overall cost a bit... but that's what most people would want anyway if they are watching movies and playing games. There are all kinds of options in all kinds of price ranges though... our surround sound set-up is plenty good for us (at a reasonable price--$500 I think it was), especially since we live in a town-home with neighbors on both sides so we don't need or want to shake the walls down with it! :cln:

We don't have any of the High-end projection equipment you can get but, for a year now, we've been watching Blu Ray movies and playing video games on it and it's simply fantastic. This year you can probably get an even better projector for the same price we paid a little over a year ago... ($1200.00 with the pull down screen).

irjudd
14-01-09, 15:13
One con is that, because the image is projected across the room no-one can sit/stand in front of it like a normal TV... but that's not a hard adjustment, really... and that's also because I just have it sitting on the coffee table downstairs, with the couch behind it, and a lounger next to it-which also means if you move the table you have to re-aim the projector again. I'd like to mount it to the cieling--or on the back wall but I've just been too lazy to do it. :p That is what most people do, though, so it's up and out of the way.

Another down-side is that you need something else for the audio, like a surround-sound set-up of some kind... so that does add to the overall cost a bit... but that's what most people would want anyway if they are watching movies and playing games. There are all kinds of options in all kinds of price ranges though... our surround sound set-up is plenty good for us (at a reasonable price--$500 I think it was), especially since we live in a town-home with neighbors on both sides so we don't need or want to shake the walls down with it! :cln:

We don't have any of the High-end projection equipment you can get but, for a year now, we've been watching Blu Ray movies and playing video games on it and it's simply fantastic. This year you can probably get an even better projector for the same price we paid a little over a year ago... ($1200.00 with the pull down screen).
Tell me what kind of solution you have for all the cords that need to be plugged into it, since its in a middle of the room kind of setup.

interstellardave
14-01-09, 15:22
Tell me what kind of solution you have for all the cords that need to be plugged into it, since its in a middle of the room kind of setup.

Everything is hooked into a selector and the output goes to the projector, so it's not bad... not a lot of wires. All of our game systems (the PS3 is the Blu Ray player) are on a cabinet off to the side, so the wires just go from there along the floor and up to the projector... not the prettiest solution but it's not across a trafficked area either. Again, we just tend not to even notice it now.

Still, it's not the ideal (which is why I should mount it on the ceiling or back wall like most people do) but I kinda have a phobia about mounting things like that. I'd forever be afraid it'll fall and break, regardless of how unlikely that would be. We have a flat-screen tv in our bedroom that we have on our dresser instead of on the wall for the same reason. :o

irjudd
14-01-09, 15:43
Everything is hooked into a selector and the output goes to the projector, so it's not bad... not a lot of wires. All of our game systems (the PS3 is the Blu Ray player) are on a cabinet off to the side, so the wires just go from there along the floor and up to the projector... not the prettiest solution but it's not across a trafficked area either. Again, we just tend not to even notice it now.

Still, it's not the ideal (which is why I should mount it on the ceiling or back wall like most people do) but I kinda have a phobia about mounting things like that. I'd forever be afraid it'll fall and break, regardless of how unlikely that would be. We have a flat-screen tv in our bedroom that we have on our dresser instead of on the wall for the same reason. :o
Yes I see. Now I wonder what you'd do with the cords if you had it mounted on the ceiling!

Punaxe
14-01-09, 15:46
Isn't there enormous interference from other light sources, including the sun?

Lara Croft!
14-01-09, 15:49
I never thought of it that way... I don't own one, so I don't care!:)

Trigger_happy
14-01-09, 15:55
I guess so. However, its projected onto a fabric screen, rather than glass, so there shouldn't be any of those annoying reflections.

interstellardave
14-01-09, 16:15
Yes I see. Now I wonder what you'd do with the cords if you had it mounted on the ceiling!

Run 'em up the wall and across the ceiling... they do have runners you can put on walls and ceilings that you can run wires through, and paint over... I do use those for the front and rear surround speakers which are on the walls (not too heavy so I don't worry about them falling).

Isn't there enormous interference from other light sources, including the sun?

We use Blackout curtains... very easy solution.

I guess so. However, its projected onto a fabric screen, rather than glass, so there shouldn't be any of those annoying reflections.

Yeah the screen has some special coating that makes the image really "pop" as opposed to how it would look on just plain fabric... it would reflect other light, but we keep the room dark or use indirect lighting anyway.

Ward Dragon
14-01-09, 19:01
That's for your children to decide. ;)

Well, I guess this answers my question about having children... :whi:
Unlike you, other people may want the human species to survive beyond your lifetime, and part of that involves keeping the planet habitable for everyone.

Your original question is actually a very good argument for saving the planet:

This attitude is the exact reason why most people discount environmentalists as crazy arrogant snobs. You act as if anyone who doesn't buy all of the scare-mongering bull**** just wants to kill puppies and small babies :rolleyes: I think my future children will be much happier without people like you trying to indoctrinate them with self-loathing, thank you very much.

White Rabbit
15-01-09, 09:58
This attitude is the exact reason why most people discount environmentalists as crazy arrogant snobs. You act as if anyone who doesn't buy all of the scare-mongering bull**** just wants to kill puppies and small babies :rolleyes: I think my future children will be much happier without people like you trying to indoctrinate them with self-loathing, thank you very much.
Ignorant...this is so patently untrue you might as well not have posted.

Trigger_happy
15-01-09, 16:40

But its not. The most widely used tactics by Green campaigners are shock and terror tactics. Greenpeace are famed for it. And all the ads telling us that if we don't recycle, our children will die.

irjudd
15-01-09, 17:27
Wow you're pretty full of yourself now aren't you?

If you think that humankind is going to be able to turn around the planetary damage that has been done all by themselves, you are sorely confused and mistaken.

For the record, I only prefer an LCD HDTV because it has less glare and costs less on my electric bill than a Plasma HDTV would.

White Rabbit
15-01-09, 18:03
But its not. The most widely used tactics by Green campaigners are shock and terror tactics. Greenpeace are famed for it. And all the ads telling us that if we don't recycle, our children will die.
Going back to Ward Dragon's post...
This attitude is the exact reason why most people discount environmentalists as crazy arrogant snobs. You act as if anyone who doesn't buy all of the scare-mongering bull**** just wants to kill puppies and small babies I think my future children will be much happier without people like you trying to indoctrinate them with self-loathing, thank you very much.
Concern for the environment is not crazy, voicing it is not scare-mongering, and trying to encourage others to do something about it is not arrogant.

When I see such extreme words like 'tactics', 'terror', 'scare-mongering' and 'indoctrinate' used to describe environmentalism, it makes me wonder what other end of the spectrum you're on.

Wow you're pretty full of yourself now aren't you?

If you think that humankind is going to be able to turn around the planetary damage that has been done all by themselves, you are sorely confused and mistaken.
This post doesn't seem to address anything I said...I never mentioned anything about reversing anything.

Ward Dragon said that there's no point in 'saving the planet' because it'll be there after we're gone and we shouldn't bother ourselves about it while we're still here. That is an atrocious strawman. It is true that we're not saving the planet per-say. We are in fact saving ourselves.

Ward Dragon
15-01-09, 19:06
Going back to Ward Dragon's post...

Concern for the environment is not crazy, voicing it is not scare-mongering, and trying to encourage others to do something about it is not arrogant.

When I see such extreme words like 'tactics', 'terror', 'scare-mongering' and 'indoctrinate' used to describe environmentalism, it makes me wonder what other end of the spectrum you're on.

You directly implied that if I don't believe the world is ending then I must not care about my children. I take that as a personal attack and the exact kind of dirty tactics that give environmentalism a bad name.

Ward Dragon said that there's no point in 'saving the planet' because it'll be there after we're gone and we shouldn't bother ourselves about it while we're still here. That is an atrocious strawman. It is true that we're not saving the planet per-say. We are in fact saving ourselves.

I'm all for cutting down unnecessary pollution. However, I see no reason for everyone to freak out like a chicken without a head, running around in circles and coming up with idea after idea about "saving the planet" when those ideas don't really help the planet but do make life a lot more difficult than it needs to be. I think it's absolutely ridiculous when we're getting to the point where people want to tax cows for farting (http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/stories/s886946.htm). This isn't cleaning up the air we breathe or the water we drink. It's just making life inconvenient and annoying for people so that there is the illusion that something is being done to save the planet.

Gianni Bartoli
15-01-09, 19:46

That's what the EU is supposed to do.

Forwen
15-01-09, 20:18
This attitude is the exact reason why most people discount environmentalists as crazy arrogant snobs. You act as if anyone who doesn't buy all of the scare-mongering bull**** just wants to kill puppies and small babies :rolleyes:

There was a brilliant South Park episode on this kind of attitude you're describing. Watch out for clouds of smug!

irjudd
15-01-09, 20:26
There was a brilliant South Park episode on this kind of attitude you're describing. Watch out for clouds of smug!
*fills wine glass with a fart and smells it*