PDA

View Full Version : Fan wins rights to bring back Sci-Fi classic

Agent 47
13-01-09, 18:37
firstly i'll explain the skinny behind "fanfilms"

A fanfilm is a project made by fans of a well known studio IP.be it tv or game related using their own money to make it. most movie studios turn a blind eye to fanfilms provided that no profit is made from them, basically trading off the licence they own is forbidden.

some studios that allow fanfilms see them as free advertising for their property.

James Cawley,star, producer, creative genius behind the award winning live action internet fan series "Star Trek Phase II" using fully recreated sets from the 1960's Trek series (using his own money), has secured the licence to produce 20 episodes of Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century.

The series, an officially licensed product will air via the internet in 2010. this version will be based on the original 1928 comic. *ST Voyager fans will be familiar with Captain Proton* :D

this is being made by The Cawley Entertainment Company and will use professional actors and production people, fans of New Voyages/Phase II will know they already use industry professionals :jmp:

as this is based on the original concept, the characters first name isn't William nor does he fly for NASA, however Wilma Deering did exist..........no Twiki either

has a fan ever managed to secure a licence on an IP before ?

link www.trekmovie.com :D

Neteru
13-01-09, 19:31
So what's his work to date like? I spent some time watching fan created material at hidden frontier, and honestly it was so badly acted (though I could appreciate the spirit of it).

SamReeves
13-01-09, 20:07
Anything's going to be better than the reboot of the TOS in XI.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Agent 47
13-01-09, 21:45
So what's his work to date like? I spent some time watching fan created material at hidden frontier, and honestly it was so badly acted (though I could appreciate the spirit of it).

well, like i said NV uses fully recreated physical sets down to every detail, yes the acting in the first 2 episodes is bad to be honest but it's gotten heck of a lot better, and the scripts are proper Trek vets writing (DC Fontana for example), the sfx are just amazing, again professionally done.

see beyond the acting in the early episodes and you appreciate the sheer love and devotion Cawley has for TOS, this is respecting TOS, this guy gets it. and i like it

Blood and Fire was excellent and i can't wait for pt 2 in March :jmp: