PDA

View Full Version : The 'January Blues' - are they real?

Voni
14-01-09, 10:26
Has anyone else seen articles in the news and on the TV to the effect that January is rubbish? This article from the BBC news site is a case in point:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7798999.stm

The article claims to help us beat the rubbishness of this month, but who says it's rubbish? Yes the weather's crap and the nights are long, but they've been that way for a few months already! Do we suddenly get to January and go, 'Oh, this is rubbish! I hate this month!'

Maybe this just annoys me (especially as my birthday's in January :p), but what do you guys think about it?

Rivendell
14-01-09, 10:32
I don't think I ever have these 'January Blues' the media taps into at this time of year. I love January!
Start of a fresh new year, days are getting longer after the gloomier previous months.

It's a good time.
:)

Angelus
14-01-09, 10:48
I think I've got them... I really can't be arsed getting out of bed to go to school in the morning, and when I do get up I just feel like diving back into bed. Then when I get home I do just that!

*Sobs dramatically*

Nefertiti_89
14-01-09, 11:59
Only in the Northern Hemisphere!

I've still got another month and a half off before uni goes back and all the sales around are fantastic, and the suns shining and the beach is only a stones throw away....yup no such thing as January blues here!

Though I do believe strongly in the May and October blues many uni students often suffer from....they also go by several aliases - crunch time, crash and burn time, time to jump, breaking point, and sometimes just plain #@%!%@&&#%%@&*!!!!!!

digitizedboy
14-01-09, 12:06
Apart from it being winter and not wanting to get out of a warm bed in the mornings everything else is fine this Jan (so far thus).

Rileigh
14-01-09, 12:14
Start of a fresh new year...
It's a good time.
:)

Which is inconveniantly following on from the last one.
The last was the best year in .....well, since I was seven. And...ack...rants and depression.....

Maybe you're right. I'd like to believe that.

I don't get January blues, they appear in every month, most weeks... It's a complimentary gift package that comes with life.

IceColdLaraCroft
14-01-09, 13:37
Not in Australia :vlol:

disneyprincess20
14-01-09, 13:47
My great aunt who live on Guernsey gets the 'February Blues' and goes somewhere for the whole month: Africa usually, or occasionally Malaysia. I think she's going back to Thailand this year. She's 84 and still goes trekking around the jungle.

I don't get the January blues, because I usually have so much holiday I haven't taken from the year before I get a fair bit of time off in January. It's not all that bad!

Punaxe
14-01-09, 14:43
The link between wintertime and depression is very real in some people, and called seasonal affective disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder). That obviously doesn't mean everyone is affected by it though, and imho those tips in the BBC article are laughable for anyone, with or without the disorder :p

Lee croft
14-01-09, 14:45
janurary is rubbish!

irjudd
14-01-09, 14:48
The link between wintertime and depression is very real in some people, and called seasonal affective disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder). That obviously doesn't mean everyone is affected by it though, and imho those tips in the BBC article are laughable for anyone, with or without the disorder :p
I know several people who are affected by S.A.D. and can attest that it's very real.

digitizedboy
14-01-09, 14:50

I admit I've had that in past years. I'm determined not to let that get the best of me this time around.

VonCroy360
14-01-09, 15:16
I think I've got them. Wouldn't call it depression exactly, but I'm feeling awful the last week or so and I haven't felt this bad for months.
I also doubt boxing or going to a church concert would help.

Gabi
14-01-09, 15:20
After Christmas I go into hibernation until I see the first daffodils in the garden.
Yes, I do get influenced by the "long, dark months" (even though I know it's going uphill already), but I try to make up for it by surrounding myself and my loved ones with nice things and by having special treats. That does not have to be anything major, some nice scented candles, flowers or my favourite food will do just as nicely as snuggling up with a soft blanket and a good book.

Voni
14-01-09, 15:30
You see Gabi, that's the attitude we need. The media's so busy telling us that everything's awful and horrible this month that we start to believe it! Yeah, it's a bit dark, but we can still be happy! *grumbles*

SamReeves
14-01-09, 16:52
C'mon over to California Voni. It's 77F and sunny today. We'll pay for it through a drought though. :p

violentblossom
14-01-09, 18:50
me thinks January is the best month... since, *ahem* my birthday is on the 22nd.... :whi:

marla_biggs
14-01-09, 19:19
i like the january! the new year is still fresh and bb is on :)

i usually feel depressed around march/april.... don't know why, i think it's the boring weather

Drone
14-01-09, 19:23
depends ... sometimes everything seems rubbish

Kerrigan
14-01-09, 19:47
I've never read about "January Blues" before, they seem something like spring asthenia to me, but I associated the term with March rather than April.

Anyway, I've always dreaded January and February, for the obvious reason of being the coldest time of the year. Also, if it happened to snow in December, all the snow would get dirty and muddy by this time and if it snowed again, I was already tired of it. I always want to move on to spring and warm weather after the Christmas holidays, but January and February come and they seem just like a time to fill a dull gap. Nothing exciting usually happens, no parties, work at school just gets more tedious, we get assigned lots of projects with strict deadlines, and the more serious business of the school year starts. All these tend to depress me.

tomblover
14-01-09, 20:01
January makes me depressive. :(

I'm longing for March.

Lavinder
14-01-09, 20:26
Well it's my birthday tomorrow so... :jmp:.

Another Lara
14-01-09, 20:57
Happy birthday for tomorrow Lavinder! :hug:

I am feeling really exhausted over the last few weeks, most likely due to the crappy weather and constant darkness and 4 hours of travelling every day!

Bring on the summer!

Logie 12 =]
14-01-09, 21:07
I think I've got them... I really can't be arsed getting out of bed to go to school in the morning, and when I do get up I just feel like diving back into bed. Then when I get home I do just that!

*Sobs dramatically*

2nd'd

Voni
14-01-09, 21:53
me thinks January is the best month... since, *ahem* my birthday is on the 22nd.... :whi:

Well blimey! So is mine!

Sir Croft
14-01-09, 21:56
I don't have any problem with January, but I hate August.

Lavinder
14-01-09, 22:05
September - cold weather, and back to school =[.

Lee croft
14-01-09, 22:05
Happy birthday for tomorrow Lavinder! :hug:

I am feeling really exhausted over the last few weeks, most likely due to the crappy weather and constant darkness and 4 hours of travelling every day!

Bring on the summer!

i so agree with you on that *sings* summer summer summer time!!!!

Tonyrobinson
14-01-09, 22:46
I'm blue all the time.... DON'T LAUGH!!! It's a rare skin disease! :tea:

Seb_01225
14-01-09, 22:53
this month has been so bad so far!

Fallen.Angel
14-01-09, 22:57
January has been bad luck for me. I wish February would hurry up and get here.

Thorir
15-01-09, 02:58
Winter is rubbish here in Scandinavia. No sun and always cold. It's as fun as being stuck in a freezer. :mad:

I'm concidering hibernating from october to april.