PDA

View Full Version : Prado digitzed!

gidierre
14-01-09, 14:10
Prado digitized:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/prado/

this is absolutely incredible

although I question this will do away with the need to go stare at the paintings physically standing before them

Afaict Velazquez himself as a virtuoso at experimenting would be more than elated seeing this feat accomplished.
About other masters I wouldn't be so sure...

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3670/21167239jy8.jpg

irjudd
14-01-09, 14:11
Lots of naked people. Nudity ftw.

siouxsiecrux
14-01-09, 14:13
Beautiful, and very interesting.

gidierre
14-01-09, 14:14
Lots of naked people.

:D

that's why that masterpiece has always inspired 180 diverging interpretations or pseudo-ditto.

Punaxe
14-01-09, 14:48
(...) although I question this will do away with the need to go stare at the paintings physically standing before them (...)

I doubt it, it may sound lame but it's true that the real thing has nothing on the digitized copies. At least that holds true for the paintings of old Dutch masters I've seen.

gidierre
14-01-09, 14:54
it may sound lame but it's true that the real thing has nothing on the digitized copies

free for everyone to opine, I guess
but I've been to Madrid, for example,
I've seen quite a few Dutch oeuvres in Belgium and Holland too, and it always impressed me how different they looked, I mean those whom I knew before inch-by-inch so to speak from my books.

Encore
14-01-09, 17:18
^ Yeah, I agree with you. Some paintings that truly left me in awe when I saw them at their respective museums were "The Third of May, 1808" by Goya, "Guernica" by Picasso, and "Primavera" by Botticelli. These are all extremely famous works that, as a art history student at the time, I had seen thousands of times in lots of quality reproductions. And none of those reproductions made me feel the same way as when I actually saw the works.

This project seems very cool for students and anyone interested in it though, because it allows you to see such incredible details. However, to apreciate a painting you have to apreciate it as a whole and for this, there is no substitute for the real thing.

tombraiderluka
14-01-09, 17:26
Lots of naked people. Nudity ftw.
Noo, they're wearing Emperor's New Suit :p

Anyway nice picture :D :D

gidierre
14-01-09, 17:49
all extremely famous works that, as a art history student at the time, I had seen thousands of times in lots of quality reproductions. And none of those reproductions made me feel the same way as when I actually saw the works.
However, to apreciate a painting you have to apreciate it as a whole and for this, there is no substitute for the real thing.

I couldn't have stated it better ;) :hug:

(btw, nice Tim Roth picture, you ever seen Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead?)

not only the perception as a whole is different, but to say the least the location/environment or what you have around it is strained and strayed...

suffice it to think of an altar retable taken out of context
what's left of it ? Da Vinci code-like debris :(

it's true that museums themselves are convenient (and false ringing at the same time) for the same rationale, I'm afraid.

Drone
14-01-09, 18:43
wow, that's a really impressive project (literally).

I adore works of such classic masters as Raffaello Santi, Rembrandt or El Greco. I've seen some their works in Dresden gallery it was unforgetable.

Visiting Prado is on the top of my list. Wold like to see the rest of their works there.

But I respect impressionism aswel :)

Encore
14-01-09, 19:50
^El Greco is awesome, I love how he already puts an expressionist twist in religious art waaay before expressionism itself...

it's true that museums themselves are convenient (and false ringing at the same time) for the same rationale, I'm afraid.

Hah good point :o In that sense art such as mural painting, architecture, etc. (like the Sistine Chapel for instance) is the most genuine, but still, in lack of a better way for us to experience the masters' works, the museums do fine. :)

(btw, nice Tim Roth picture, you ever seen Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead?)

No! I really adore his role in Reservoir Dogs which is why I have the avatar, and I also loved when he played Oliver Cromwell, but I'm trying to find more movies with him so thanks for the tip :)

gidierre
14-01-09, 21:58
444f4e54424c414d454d45494d4a5553545448454d45535345 4e474552

say, Punaxe, 497320796f75722073706163656261722062726f6b656e203f :p:p:p

Visiting Prado is on the top of my list

lucky you :envious: :tmb:
if it wasn't some 1,200 kilometers away from here, I'd be there... yesterday

at least because for obvious historical reasons it happens to be the single most important location displaying J. Bosch works in the world

been there twice, 2nd time spent hours in front of the so called Garden of Earthly Delights tryptich, of which one magnified detail I chose to link to in my original post, which is an impressive 2.2 x 3.9 meters picture just for the sheer pleasure of listening to what people from all corners of the world would say, understanding only a fraction of their words and languages of course
what was more intriguing was trying to perceive the unbiased, first hand, naive if you wish, hence uncontrived impressions on those visitors who apparently weren't "prepared" by reading some of the existing 2^32 books on the subject
I mean, when you go to Paris and lo and behold Leonardo's Mona Lisa in front of you (incidentally in Italy it doesn't go by the name of Monna (Madonna) Lisa, but we call it La Gioconda instead)
you are completely biased, possibly against it like Marcel Duchamp :p
and there's no retrieving the fresh innocence of vision demure Leonardo would deserve

No! I really adore (Tim Roth's) role in Reservoir Dogs which is why I have the avatar
but I'm trying to find more movies with him so thanks for the tip :)

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead: Tim Roth + Gary Oldman + Hamlet provenance = awesome witty movie, insuperable acting
you don't want to miss it ;)
like Al Pacino + Robert De Niro, there's no grading such incomparable actors.

Tonyrobinson
14-01-09, 22:17
I like this piece

MoonSword
14-01-09, 22:21
Really impressive work! Must see.

Punaxe
14-01-09, 22:49
:off:
say, Punaxe, 497320796f75722073706163656261722062726f6b656e203f :p:p:p
(...)

SXQgZG lkbid0IGZpdCBpbi B0aGUgc2lnbmF 0dXJlIG9 0aGVyd 2 l z ZSA6KA :p

gidierre
14-01-09, 23:54
SXQgZG lkbid0IGZpdCBpbi B0aGUgc2lnbmF 0dXJlIG9 0aGVyd 2 l z ZSA6KA :p

nahhhh, you didn't really mean that did you :tea:
especially when it means nothing and you know and I know you know I know (double :tea:)

besides, please believe me, we just can't go on talking business (?) with each other like this anymore :cln:

not to speak of the fact you're a chain-smoker plus everybody is aware that I only told you
is your spacebar broken ?

the reason for this question of mine, I'll leave to you to expose :p

if you like playing with hex values, it's clear you haven't browsed the technical support lately, otherwise you'd have known a beloved nickname of mine is so sagt die hex, and the reason why it is so

I'll conclude uttering a warm, fervent Sheckleyian "Mun, mun-mun." to you:
http://tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_the_tensor/2006/09/shall_we_have_a.html
("Shall We Have a Little Talk?")

gidierre
16-01-09, 20:24
Finally Google Earth started working
so far the application per se used to work, but it didn't load the Prado Masterpieces gallery fullscreen correctly and I only had to browse them via Google Maps, where atm only 4 out of 14 are viewable

btw
if you want to grasp the meaning of the word zoom,
open Rogier Van der Weyden's Descent from the Cross,
point to the leftmost weeping Mary, to her eyes distraught with grief, then start slowly sneaking the magnifying slide up up up all the way, wait a moment for it to come through, then keep lifting it up, wait, lift, wait, lift again and again to the end
how about it?