PDA

View Full Version : Another Stonehenge Discovered Under Lake Michigan?

Bowie
14-01-09, 23:59
Another Stonehenge Discovered Under Lake Michigan?
http://io9.com/5130669/another-stonehenge-discovered-under-lake-michigan

A group of researchers using sonar to find shipwrecks on the bottom of Lake Michigan have found something far older than crashed cargo ships. They believe they've found a 10-thousand-year-old stone structure like Stonehenge, including a rock carved with the image of a mastodon. io9 pal Geoff Manaugh reports over at BLDG BLOG that the researchers' report (with cool sonar images) was released last year to surprisingly little fanfare.

And yet the possibility of a Stonehenge-esque worship site wouldn't be out of place at the bottom of Lake Michigan. The region already has its share of petroglyphs from ancient tribes and other standing stone sites. These submerged stones could have been raised by local populations at a time when part of the lake bed was dry, in the late Ice Age. More research is needed to determine whether these stones were arranged by humans, or merely look that way.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/01/sonarmichiganstonehenge.jpg

Sorry if this has already been posted. :)

silver_wolf
15-01-09, 00:00
holy crap. something interesting in my area! :D

digitizedboy
15-01-09, 00:02
Interesting find, thanks for posting.

spikejones
15-01-09, 00:14
whats that triangle thingymadoodad in the middle of the image? the rest of it looks like its natural though.

IceColdLaraCroft
15-01-09, 00:27
whats that triangle thingymadoodad in the middle of the image? the rest of it looks like its natural though.

"there's something in the light"

It's the reflection of the light they used or whatever tech.

Maybe it's HELHEIM!!!!

Mother!? It's me. Lara!

spikejones
15-01-09, 00:36
^ well if they used SONAR (which is what they used according to the article) there should be no light. Sonar is just sound waves, no light.

http://www.edgetech.com/images_marine_data/4100_prudence_wreck_big.jpg
theres a sonar image of a shipwreck. They used no lights in it. You see no object in the middle of the image like you do above. Now.. for purposes of drawing the image the computer application receiving the sonar feedback will draw various shades of color - making it appear as though there is light. But no light is necessary when you are using technology that just bounces sound off of things.

sonar as defined by wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonar

which makes me wonder if this is a complete hoax. I checked out the various images in the article that was linked, and I can see nothing that resembles a mastadon carved into an rock. You would likely not get that kind of detail on a sonar image anyhow. They have no pictures of rock with a mastadon carved into it.

CerebralAssassin
15-01-09, 00:40
[SIZE="4"]. More research is needed to determine whether these stones were arranged by humans, or merely look that way

well,why don't they go down there and get it then?that'll answer a few questions...

sounds interesting...much like the money pit,part 2 :):D

spikejones
15-01-09, 00:43
the BLDG BLOG article said something to the effect of "only future scuba expeditions will tell for sure"

off to Lake Michigan Lara shall go for Tomb Raider 9.

IceColdLaraCroft
15-01-09, 00:54
Yea I don't understand the "mastadon carving" it's bunk.

I could believe it because supposedly the lakes were carved out by glaciers and then flooded when they broke. Some prehistoric man could have been in that area, but the rush of the water would've wipped out any "standing" rocks.

Larapink
15-01-09, 00:56
It kind of looks like the stone dias in Legend.

Sir Croft
15-01-09, 00:58
"We've seen swords and daises all over the world. Because they were everywhere" :yik:

:p

Seriously, that's interesting, that triangle in the middle looks weird.

spikejones
15-01-09, 01:00
yeah.. now that i dug some more.. the machine they used was the one here:
http://www.kongsberg-mesotech.com/walkingadiver.htm

its different than a conventional sonar in that they deploy it to the lake bed and control it remotely somehow. it takes radial images similar to a radar - thus the "shadows" and the illusion of a light source creating them. but their image is slightly different than that in the video. the video doesn't have the triangly thingy ... which perplexes me.

Draco
15-01-09, 01:00
Water didn't necessarily have to rush to fill the lake.

Larapink
15-01-09, 01:03
"We've seen swords and daises all over the world. Because they were everywhere" :yik:.
You have taken the words out of my mouth. :eek:

:vlol:

spikejones
15-01-09, 01:08
You have taken the words out of my mouth. :eek:

:vlol:

for some reason i read it as daisies (flower) :vlol: I was trying to figure out what daisies had to do with swords.:confused:

Immortalis08
15-01-09, 01:11
So I could walk over to this seemingly identical Stonehenge right now then? :eek:

Punaxe
15-01-09, 01:12
yeah.. now that i dug some more.. the machine they used was the one here:
http://www.kongsberg-mesotech.com/walkingadiver.htm

its different than a conventional sonar in that they deploy it to the lake bed and control it remotely somehow. it takes radial images similar to a radar - thus the "shadows" and the illusion of a light source creating them. but their image is slightly different than that in the video. the video doesn't have the triangly thingy ... which perplexes me.

Good find, it had me wondering as well.
Perhaps the device was in a cage?

Larapink
15-01-09, 01:14
So I could walk over to this seemingly identical Stonehenge right now then? :eek:
It's underwater, I doubt you will be able to walk over it. :vlol:

Our Stonehenge is better. ;)

Sir Croft
15-01-09, 01:20

Nah, this one is cooler, it's underwater! Epic! :p

Immortalis08
15-01-09, 01:21

I never said I'd walk over it. Of course some swimming would be involved.:vlol:

Heh, I'm not wasting thousands of dollars just to go halfway across the world to visit some rocks. :p :)

spikejones
15-01-09, 01:57

silly you with not getting their words right. :p they said "walk over TO it". But yeah... its possible if you have a butt load of diving weights on. Now... if you want to walk OVER it.... simply position your boat above it and commence to walking.:D

but, no ... this thing is nothing like stonehenge at all. no idea where they got the idea to call it that. its a bunch of sunken garbage... boats, old cars, etc.. if there IS a "mastadon carving" in one of the rocks, it is entirely possible that it was some trinket tossed down with the rest of the junk. I'm personally lost when it comes to all that carbon dating stuff, but not positive if it would hold up being the thing is submerged. If it is something relatively new, it may be possible that it could have been permeated by some older materials from the area. that would give a skewed reading to say the least.

Sir Croft
15-01-09, 02:55
I'm still confused by the triangle, it doesn't appear in the video and it doesn't look like some kind of light or reflex. You could be something from the sonar, though.
Better wait until they go down there and see it themselves, it would be hella nice and interesting if it was indeed like the Stonehenge.

Eddie Haskell
15-01-09, 03:21
How far out on the lake from Chicago is this thing? I'll borrow my brothers boat and head over there tomorrow. Well, only if the weather does a 180 turn, melts the ice and allows me to get the boat out there, and provided the water temperature rises 40 or so for my nephew to dive down for a look...oh well, I guess it's wait until summer. :)

It's probably large glacial erratic's. Remember the lake was gouged out by massive glaciers. And massive hunks of rock were left behind as it receded. And by the way, wheres this mastodon thing?

Tomb of Legends
15-01-09, 04:56
Anyone get the feeling of TRL when they look at that. The triangle in the middle looks like the thing out of TRL.

Were humans around that long ago? This is amazing, how could you build something like that underwater? And its that to scale, full size..it looks tiny?

TombRaiderCool
15-01-09, 15:22
Great read, pretty interesting stuff! :tmb: