PDA

View Full Version : NYC Plane lands in Hudson...get over it!

IceColdLaraCroft
16-01-09, 12:26
I'm really tired of seeing this story about the plane landing in the Hudson river yest.

Mostly because instead of treating the pilot like a hero for being able to think quickly and save all of those people almost every news agency is turning it into some sort of "tragedy that never was." As if they WANTED everyone to die.

Anyone else want them to shut up already?

demonslayer
16-01-09, 12:28
yeah i must admit it is shown a bit too much

mizuno_suisei
16-01-09, 12:29
On the news, all they were talking about was the pilot's quick thinking.

And a Perth woman was on that flight xD

IceColdLaraCroft
16-01-09, 12:40
^ See I saw that in the Sydney Morning Herald. They talked about how he was an ex-fighter pilot and praised him for his quick thinking. But here in the US there's nothing about that and I think it's disgusting.

Voni
16-01-09, 12:45
Really? In the press here the pilot's been praised as a hero too. That's an utter shame that the US media aren't portraying it the same way.

disneyprincess20
16-01-09, 12:46
Isn't this the first successful water landing of commercial plane ever?

IceColdLaraCroft
16-01-09, 12:47

I think so. Because the plane didn't break apart and absolutely no one was killed/injured.

Joely-Moley
16-01-09, 13:38

Yea, i think it's the first ditching ever that everybody has survived.
It's especially amazing due to the fact that during take off is the worst ever possible time to lose engine power as it's almost certain to result in everybody’s death being at such a low altitude.

The pilot did a terrific job!

Mr.Burns
16-01-09, 13:44
^ See I saw that in the Sydney Morning Herald. They talked about how he was an ex-fighter pilot and praised him for his quick thinking. But here in the US there's nothing about that and I think it's disgusting.

Try watching CNN. They've been calling him a hero since yesterday.

irjudd
16-01-09, 14:05
Interesting. This is the first I've heard anything about this story, and you all are complaining about excessive coverage.

Encore
16-01-09, 14:25
I bet that deep down inside, all the reporters are frustrated that no one died! It's in their blood. :pi:

IceColdLaraCroft
16-01-09, 14:58
I bet that deep down inside, all the reporters are frustrated that no one died! It's in their blood. :pi:

that's part of what i've been saying is that the way it's been covered is from the angle of "what could've happened" rather than what did happen as if they rather would've been telling the story of a tragedy rather than actual GOOD news.

Mr.Burns
16-01-09, 15:11
that's part of what i've been saying is that the way it's been covered is from the angle of "what could've happened" rather than what did happen as if they rather would've been telling the story of a tragedy rather than actual GOOD news.

As I said earlier, CNN has been praising the situation.

But on a general level, good news doesn't sell. People want drama and entertainment, that's how the big news packages their stories.

Legends
16-01-09, 15:11
I've been watching this all day! That pilot deserves some kind of reward for his amazing skills and saving every life on the plane. It could have been a lot worse, gladly everything turned out great.

da tomb raider!
16-01-09, 15:43
A plane landed in the Hudson river?

xMiSsCrOfTx
16-01-09, 15:45
I saw it on the news yesterday morning. For those who feel they're overexaggerating the situation, that's typical media for you. Taking an unfortunate situation and embellishing the hell out of it for as long as they can. It was a scary occurance and I'm glad everyone made it out okay in the end, but I have to agree, sometimes with these kinds of things they really milk the stories more than what would be considered appropriate.

patriots88888
16-01-09, 16:10
I just think the thread title makes the OP's point somewhat ironic is all!

Benguitar
16-01-09, 16:15
yeah i must admit it is shown a bit too much

It is because there isn't really much other news going around, basically they have nothing to talk about so they just repeat EVERYTHING.

Lara Croft!
16-01-09, 16:22

I think so. Because the plane didn't break apart and absolutely no one was killed/injured.

So, it is natural for news like these to be on the TV all day long! And it sounds to me that the pilot is a hero, indeed!

Love2Raid
16-01-09, 17:34
I just saw it on the news. This guy saved the lives of all those passengers by making the right decisions on the right time.

Respect :tmb:

Tombreaper
16-01-09, 17:45
Lucky all the passengers survived this strange 'landing', and a medal of honour for the pilot.

Trigger_happy
16-01-09, 19:41
What a pity- someone normal did something amazing. They're taking up vital space that could be used to tell me what new shoes someone famous bought.

TRhalloween
16-01-09, 19:45
They've been praising him on the British news.

Troy
16-01-09, 19:49
That pilot does deserve quite a bit of respect for his act. Not many people can act cool like he did under those situations.

innocentvenus
16-01-09, 20:07
Lol, I live two hours away from where this happened, and our local news won't shut up about it either.

Yes, it's nice to see everyone lived. The pilot did something great under extraordinary circumstances. But...there are more important things going on in the world, and after two hours this story got old.

The thing which annoyed me the most was our local fox station had nothing to talk about when they found out everyone lived. So they decided to hype it up by going through scenarios like "what if it crashed in the heart of Manhattan" and how long before they get reports of hypothermia from people. Come on...I mean that's tacky.

SamReeves
16-01-09, 20:52
I'm really tired of seeing this story about the plane landing in the Hudson river yest.

Mostly because instead of treating the pilot like a hero for being able to think quickly and save all of those people almost every news agency is turning it into some sort of "tragedy that never was." As if they WANTED everyone to die.

In defense of the pilot, he's a former USAF fighter jockey, he flew F-4's. I'd love to have anyone with that kind of experience in the cockpit anytime. So the press can drum it up all they want, it is a true American story of heroism.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=52707

just croft
16-01-09, 20:53

Lol, not here... I only came to the forums now but I saw the news this early this morning (I was working till 3 am) and so far all I can hear how a hero the Pilot is.

digitizedboy
16-01-09, 21:00
Damn! I wish there were more reports of hero stories on the news instead of the constant gloom and doom we hear daily. :'(

Twilight
16-01-09, 21:36
i was surprised when i heard it. amazing no one died.

if you're tired off seeing it, turn off the tv, don't read that section in the news or online. :wve:

Lara's Backpack
16-01-09, 23:44
Well good on the pilot I guess... But theyd only been in the air for 3 minutes, so they werent exactly very high to begin with.

And shouldnt the pilot have avoided the flock of birds in the first place? :tea:

Joely-Moley
16-01-09, 23:52
Well good on the pilot I guess... But theyd only been in the air for 3 minutes, so they werent exactly very high to begin with.

That's the thing that makes it so amazing.
Taking off is the worst possible time to lose engine power because you are not high enough to try and to turn around and glide to a landing.

Lost Angel 21
16-01-09, 23:57
I'm tired of it, and I live in the same state; same area actually (landed in Hudson River, I'm in the Hudson Valley...). It's plastered over every single news network, and you can't actually do anything without hearing about it at some point.
Was it a scary incident? Yes.
At least the pilot and crew knew what to do and the emergency vehicles got there in time.

Jinkss
17-01-09, 04:28
Didn't they make a website for this guy or something? I swear I read something about it the other day. Or it was a fan club, I can't remember.

Lara's Backpack
17-01-09, 05:49
Well we can all ***** and complain about how annoying it is and how much praise the guy's getting - but we'd all rather be on that plane than say, one that crashed and killed us all :tea:

Geck-o-Lizard
19-01-09, 19:19
Spirit Airlines tried to charge cancellation fees on passengers it put on flight 1549 (http://consumerist.com/5134413/spirit-airlines-tries-to-charge-cancellation-fees-on-passengers-it-put-on-flight-1549)

Spirit Airlines wants $90 each from Rob and Jeff Kolodjay, two of the passengers in last week's U.S. Airways flight 1549, because they're not using the return leg of their tickets. Rob and Jeff were on flight 1549 in the first place because Spirit canceled their original flight.

Rob and Jeff Kolodjay were scheduled to fly on Spirit Airlines to a golf vacation with four other friends on Thursday out of LaGuardia in New York City. Their flight got cancelled, and they were rebooked on to US Airways flight 1549.

When they tried to cancel the return tickets on Spirit they could not use because they never made it to Myrtle Beach, the company representative insisted on charging them a cancellation fee.

Well done, Spirit! You have managed to take the one really awesome airline story of the last few years and turn it into a bad PR opportunity. Please charge yourself a congratulations fee.

Forwen
19-01-09, 20:34
"The pilot"? Who's "the pilot"? There were two pilots on the flight, Captain Sullenberger and his First Officer Skiles. I know it's usually the captain that gets paraded in front of cameras after a succesful emergency landing , but it's never a given until the official report is out - and in fact, during emergencies it's usually the FO that takes direct control of the plane. It would be better to say, the crew did an amazing job!

Which ain't good at all.

And shouldnt the pilot have avoided the flock of birds in the first place? :tea:

Heh heh, if the captain had managed a stunt of ducking a flock of geese in A320 in the extremely congested NY airspace (bugger that), he wouldn't be a hero... He would be a FRIGGIN' TRANSFORMER.