PDA

View Full Version : You and I...how do you understand Tomb Raider?

IceColdLaraCroft
18-01-09, 03:11
Do you see Tomb Raider as just a game and that the rest of us on TR Forums as just owning that game?

Or do you have a deeper experience?

The way I look at it is that each of us has been to the locations, gotten past traps, and reaped the rewards of tomb raiding.

Squibbly
18-01-09, 03:30
I guess I get pretty into it. I talk about the levels and situtations sometimes with other people as if Lara is a real person, lol. And then I'm like, "what am I talking about? She didn't do this or that differently or say this or that because she wasn't PROGRAMMED to!".

I just really love TR. :)

IceColdLaraCroft
18-01-09, 03:59
It's a bit like sharing a traveling experience of saying "oh did you go here? did you see that? did you notice that?" except in Tomb Raider you do almost exactly the same things, which isn't something you can do when you travel.

SykoSilver
18-01-09, 04:19
Games are always an experience one way or another, and the ones with high production values tend to be relatively deeper than movies, etc.

Tomb Raider can be interpreted to be deep in that it's a very sensual game; it's been designed to be immersive and visceral. Such aesthetics appeal to us on a deeper level.

MattTR
18-01-09, 04:56
When I thought of Tomb Raider 5 years ago, it was a lot different then what I think of it now.. :p Right now I think of it as a dying franchise keep dragging on for money's sake.. as much as I love Lara, it's the truth, the games are fun, but too repetive, we need something new.. something Tomb Raider-ish.

The classics made me think of everything from vast locations, to deadly traps and scary enemies, the true "Tomb Raider AKA Lara Croft".

Some tend to agree, but yeah.. :p TRF rocks though. :tmb:

Ikas90
18-01-09, 05:08
I see Tomb Raider as a unique game that I'm happy to say has been the greatest series of games I've played. I'm an adventurous person, and purely the adventure experience you get in this game has fascinated me. But not only that, there is also the challenge of getting past certain traps unharmed or finishing the game without using a single medipack. If I have a Tomb Raider game, or any game that I really love, I have to get all the achievements or finish the game on the highest difficulty. Adding special limitations, eg, using pistols only, also give me that sense of satisfaction that I did something more challenging than normal.

And way I look at it is that I own the whole series, yes. And that I'd like to visit all Tomb Raider location around the world in real life. As long as I'm alive, I will go to all those places.

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-01-09, 05:18
Obviously I got sucked into the series on a deeper level. I joined a forum for it, after all. :p

dox online
18-01-09, 06:19
It is me, my avatar, and I. It is everything!

Alectrona
18-01-09, 10:24
I have to say that TR isn't the best game ever. But still there is something about it that I love so much that I can't stop playing it. No game has ever made me feel like TR has. Tomb Raider games are my favorite and probably they always will be.
As for my friends, they don't like tomb raider. Actually most of them don't play computer games at all...

mizuno_suisei
18-01-09, 15:54
Its pretty much my everything. Only thing I think about unless its Japanese or a sexy man. It's not just an obsession. I still remember when I was living in a house with my mum, its what you'd call a drug house I guess. I clearly remember being sent to a bedroom while they smoked dope, and I remember sitting on the end of the double bed playing The Great Pyramid. That is probably as far back as I can remember. Its always been my comfort when I'm down. I still fire it up when Im down, even when Im not down I fire it up. Its the only game i'm interested in and ever have been.

Tomb Raider Master
18-01-09, 16:00
I don't have time to play TR as much as I used to, but I've been playing it for almost ten years now, so you can imagine how serious I am into it.

TR93
18-01-09, 16:02
I've been playing TR since I was abput 8/9 years old,
Havent stopped since then.

I guess it's more than just a game cos I can talk to people about it all the time,
and when I was being badly bullied at school I would play TR all the time just to try and take bad thoughts off my mind,:)
It also gave me something to look forward to when I got home everyday...
straight after homework....Tomb Raider time:D lol...

nowerday I don't play it so much.
I kinda lost interest for a while till I got Anniversary and Legend....then I would play TR literaly for hours and hours till I finished levels...
e.g TRA...The Folly, 7 hours in one day to finish, but I was so happy when I actualy finished it:)
I guess TR kinda makes me more determined to finish what I start:)

Practicaly the only game I play nowerdays:) and It introduced me to TRF and an awesome bunch of people....I made such amazing friends by joining TRF:D
Love ya'll!

AmericanAssassin
18-01-09, 16:06
I definately have an emotional connection to the series. I'm happy when Lara triumphs, and I cried when I though she died on The Last Revelation. :p

Troy
18-01-09, 16:16
I don't have any friends that are TR fans but I talk to my brother about it and I don't know. I guess it's just because I love ancient history that I love TR.

Encore
18-01-09, 16:21
It was a huge part of my life, every single CORE Tomb Raider that came out became "my favourite game EVER" during some time, even AoD. :vlol: I spent countless hours and days playing and replaying those games. I've got through good and bad times of my life and TR was always there to help me get my mind off things for a while.

Nowadays things have changed, specially because the later games can't grip me as much as those did... And I've become much more critical of them...

I honestly felt that TRU was the end of a personal era, of that time were TR was basically the only game I truly cared about and didn't play casually; now I seem to have moved on and it seems Prince of Persia became my favourite franchise instead! :pi:

kristi
18-01-09, 21:06
Well,this thread isn't only for TR.We discuss here also for other things.
And when I played TR4,my first TR experience...well...I couldn't even pass the two platforms on Angkor Wat.It was a continuous challenge for me.
Now it is not.

NympHadorA
18-01-09, 21:18
When I first played it, I believed that I would never finish a TR game. That was the hardest game for me,that was TRC and I was 11. When I think about it, I laugh... :D

SykoSilver
18-01-09, 21:36
When I first played it, I believed that I would never finish a TR game. That was the hardest game for me,that was TRC and I was 11. When I think about it, I laugh... :D

Hahaha. The first one I played was Tomb Raider II. It was soooo hard back then! :D

Changeling
18-01-09, 21:41
I'm quite serious about TR, and I would say that I have an emotional connection with the games. :D

I've been playing for ten years, so I first started playing when I was 5. Seriously, the minute I got home from school, it went, "Dad, can I play Tomb Raider now?" :ton:

So yeah, we're not the ones making Lara go on the adventure by playing the games. Lara's the one taking us on the adventure. :D

NympHadorA
18-01-09, 21:41
I had stopped playing TRC in 11 and decided to play again in 14, and I finished it in a month... :)

SykoSilver
18-01-09, 21:43
I'm quite serious about TR, and I would say that I have an emotional connection with the games. :D

I've been playing for ten years, so I first started playing when I was 5. Seriously, the minute I got home from school, it went, "Dad, can I play Tomb Raider now?" :ton:

So yeah, we're not the ones making Lara go on the adventure by playing the games. Lara's the one taking us on the adventure. :D

You started young. ^_^ I started with Tomb Raider II, which was about 11 or so years ago? Well, actually, it had to be when I was 12, which was about 9-10 years ago.

Changeling
18-01-09, 21:59
You started young. ^_^ I started with Tomb Raider II, which was about 11 or so years ago? Well, actually, it had to be when I was 12, which was about 9-10 years ago.

I know, my dad was the one who got me into it. :p I think the first one I played was the third one, so that was way back in 1998. Then I gradually played the 2nd and then the 1st, so I played the first three in reverse order XD After that I was completely hooked and would be so excited in waiting for the next game to come out! :p

Larapink
18-01-09, 22:51
I just hope TR gets back on it's feet.

AmericanAssassin
19-01-09, 03:05
Hahaha. The first one I played was Tomb Raider II. It was soooo hard back then! :D

Back then? :p TR2 is still a difficult game. I haven't played a single PS2 or PS3 game that's as difficult. ;)

Dia2blo
19-01-09, 03:54
I've always felt a connection to the games- as much as Lara is an important character in the series and all, i have always just sort of felt of her as a canvas through which we see and are part of the environment surrounding her. It's probably why i haven't gone off the series like some- i am constantly overwhelmed by the environments, whether they be in ps1 graphics, or next gen graphics, when i see things at a slightly different angle, i always feel stunned.

It's not just the environments though- whenever i finish one of the games i feel like i have truly accomplished something, like i have just scraped through an adventure which was emotional and difficult, but truly rewarding by the end.

Carbonek_0051
19-01-09, 03:55
I've always felt a connection to the games- as much as Lara is an important character in the series and all, i have always just sort of felt of her as a canvas through which we see and are part of the environment surrounding her. It's probably why i haven't gone off the series like some- i am constantly overwhelmed by the environments, whether they be in ps1 graphics, or next gen graphics, when i see things at a slightly different angle, i always feel stunned.

It's not just the environments though- whenever i finish one of the games i feel like i have truly accomplished something, like i have just scraped through an adventure which was emotional and difficult, but truly rewarding by the end.

This:tmb:

TR93
19-01-09, 08:58

:tmb: Exactly
When I finish levels on TR I am so happy:D...and hyper:p lol

Drone
19-01-09, 09:01
TR it's not just a game, it's a lifestyle

tombraiderluka
19-01-09, 09:03
I don't actually have any deep feelings for it, it's my favorite game that's for sure :)
Played it, well since TR III came out, although I had played TR1 before that, wasn't aware of that unfortunately :D