PDA

View Full Version : Boys with long har | A school problem?

grayfox360
18-01-09, 16:05
So I've got this friend from Europe, Not know the state, :D, and he said that he has a problem, because there is a rule about in school that boys are not allowed to have long hair. :hea: That's stupid! Why? Is that also in any of your schools?

Twiin
18-01-09, 16:06
Perhaps he is just required to tie it back?

grayfox360
18-01-09, 16:06
Nop, he was ordered to cut it short!

Rivendell
18-01-09, 16:07
I never had that trouble luckily. :D

TRfan23
18-01-09, 16:13
No offense to some, but I don't like boys with long hair. Doesn't seem right...

No I don't have that in my school, except for gelling you must only have it gelled at a certain height - Luckily my hairs not that long.

digitizedboy
18-01-09, 16:15
Are there states in Europe? :D Maybe he's in some kind of an army school. *shrugs*

irjudd
18-01-09, 16:17
Having to fool with long hair is annoying. Buzz cut ftw.

grayfox360
18-01-09, 16:18
Are there states in Europe? :D Maybe he's in some kind of an army school. *shrugs*

:confused: Yes there are. Nop, same old boring High School.

Zebra
18-01-09, 16:20
Nope. Don't have any problems in my school :p.

george_croft
18-01-09, 16:20
Where is he from?

And no, its illegal to implement rules like that in Swedish schools. Private schools aren't even allowed to have school uniforms.

Psychos'Я'Us
18-01-09, 16:22
Not all schools are like that...
I don't get in trouble for my hair and I haven't got any complaints from teachers. And even if I would I wouldn't cut my hair, it's my hair and it grows on my head so they can just stfu and gtfo :wve:

VonCroy360
18-01-09, 16:32
Luckily, nothing like that over here.
We only have a few clothing rules, but those aren't very strict either.

Hermina94
18-01-09, 16:33
Nope.I live in Europe and there are long haired boys all around

coolaideonfire
18-01-09, 16:36
That was never an issue when I was at school - long haired boys everywhere and I was one of them! At most teachers would ask you to tie it back for sports and any time it could be dangerous (ie. Science class when doing experiments). But even then we were never forced to do so, it was simply advice lol.

If I were him I'd just tie it back... if girls can have long hair then why can't the boys?

Joely-Moley
18-01-09, 16:55
Well that sucks.
I had a puple mohawk in my school and nothing ever got said.

Ikas90
18-01-09, 17:02
I find that rule ridiculous. Why restrict something completely natural?

I can understand piercings, because they are man-made and can be removed.

Tomb Raider Master
18-01-09, 17:03
We don't have such rules over here, but I personally don't prefer guys with long hair.

takamotosan
18-01-09, 17:07
sexism is still alive and well

:pi:

Changeling
18-01-09, 17:10
sexism is still alive and well

:pi:

Precisely :rolleyes:

My school doesn't have anything against boys having long hair. They do have a uniform though, which is quite strict. You get in trouble or even sent home if you have just the tiniest bit of white on your shoes, top or trousers. It's annoying. >_>; I now loathe the colour (or shade XD) black.

digitizedboy
18-01-09, 17:16
States?

I thought they were called countries :p

Anyway, that seems stupid. What is it some kind of a regime? 1984?

Trigger_happy
18-01-09, 17:27
States?

I thought they were called countries :p

They are, unless the EU took over and I didn't realise...

At my school in the Uk, your allowed long hair, but if it gets too long, you have to tie it up. I think long hair looks stupid though. My friend had it and its terrified me.

TRfan23
18-01-09, 17:33
Precisely :rolleyes:

My school doesn't have anything against boys having long hair. They do have a uniform though, which is quite strict. You get in trouble or even sent home if you have just the tiniest bit of white on your shoes, top or trousers. It's annoying. >_>; I now loathe the colour (or shade XD) black.

Exactly the same in my school ;) We used to have to queue up in the mornings before form, in the playground for uniform check. But tbh it was pointless, people would undo it afterwards lol.

Hyper_Crazy
18-01-09, 18:07
I wasn't "ordered" to get my hair cut short when I had it long, atlhough the teachers hated it cause they couldn't see my face.

Fdx Croft
18-01-09, 18:13
sadly, i have to cut my hair at school... i mean, its not allowed to men to have long hair... its the most stupid thing ive ever heard... but that happens just in private schools... i always try to avoid it, but... :(

just croft
18-01-09, 18:18
So I've got this friend from Europe, Not know the state, :D, and he said that he has a problem, because there is a rule about in school that boys are not allowed to have long hair. :hea: That's stupid! Why? Is that also in any of your schools?

Ok, so first of all: what the ****?!?!?

Secondly, he must be in a private school

tranniversary119
18-01-09, 18:21
I have long hair, I think it's hilarious that schools would even have this as a rule. That's the most ridiculously thing ever :wve: Girls can have long hair so why can't guys?

Thorir
18-01-09, 18:22
It's illegal to order people to change the way they look. At least where I live.

That's like ordering someone to get a nose job or lipo.

]{eith
18-01-09, 18:51
They were considering making that rule in my school. I told the principal I'd leave the school sooner than cut my hair. I haven't heard anything about it since.

SykoSilver
18-01-09, 18:57
The only rule we have here is that it can't be "distracting". Long hair is fine, but dying it unnatural colors isn't (though you can get away with it if it's school colors-- I died mine blue!). You might not be able to get away with big liberty spikes and stuff. Also, piercings aren't allowed anywhere visible but the ears (guys can have ear piercings too) and some schools have similar tattoo policies.

When I went to middle school, we had to wear school uniforms. Right after I left for high school they discontinued the policy. :D

EDIT: Plus, there are policies for how much skin you can show. Guys can only get away with showing torso in P.E. Girls' navels and bra straps cannot show. Skirts and shorts must be at least to the mid-thigh. Some schools don't allow sandals for safety reasons (sprinklers in the grass).

Also can't wear shirts with sports logos on them. Considered "gang attire". We have problems with gangs here.

Joely-Moley
18-01-09, 19:01
The only rule we have here is that it can't be "distracting". Long hair is fine, but dying it unnatural colors isn't (though you can get away with it if it's school colors-- I died mine blue!). You might not be able to get away with big liberty spikes and stuff. Also, piercings aren't allowed anywhere visible but the ears (guys can have ear piercings too) and some schools have similar tattoo policies.

I would not have done well at your school hahah!

i can't really understand why theres a problem with guys having long hair if girl can. Is it because it's a a bit out of the norm for guys with long hair?

takamotosan
18-01-09, 19:02
It's illegal to order people to change the way they look. At least where I live.

That's like ordering someone to get a nose job or lipo.

omg

if someone mandated me to get lipo and they were gonna pay for it, it would be a dream come true.

i think they should mandate a personal trainer...

:D

SykoSilver
18-01-09, 19:05
omg

if someone mandated me to get lipo and they were gonna pay for it, it would be a dream come true.

i think they should mandate a personal trainer...

:D

Haha I totally agree!

I would not have done well at your school hahah!

i can't really understand why theres a problem with guys having long hair if girl can. Is it because it's a a bit out of the norm for guys with long hair?

Yes. America has problems with social norms and deviance. It's pretty conservative, in the bad way, compared to other advanced countries. Kids are basically raised to hate anything out of the ordinary, when it comes to people and relationships. We have douchebags like that.

drakl0r
18-01-09, 19:15
During my primary and secondary school, we're not allowed to have long hairs :D

Joely-Moley
18-01-09, 19:27
Haha I totally agree!
Yes. America has problems with social norms and deviance. It's pretty conservative, in the bad way, compared to other advanced countries. Kids are basically raised to hate anything out of the ordinary, when it comes to people and relationships. We have douchebags like that.

oh yes tell me about it, I am American. I just went to a really bad school that didn't seem to care about anything. While the teachers never complained how i looked, the people that went never accepted anyone out of the ordinary.

However I think that is pretty much universal.

pemides
18-01-09, 19:28
LOL @ the "states of europe" :vlol: That was funny

For the record, this is still not "United States of Europe". Each country is a country :)

rickybazire
18-01-09, 19:35
At my old school, (now at college), we were allowed to do anything with our, except dye it unnatural colours, like green or blue. Blonde and black was fine, boys were allowed to have long hair, girls were allowed to have short hair.

At college, we're allowed to do anything at all with our hair.

It allows a bit of freedom for the person and allows to be themselves. But some schools see this as a problem and believe that the person is being too free.

Draco
18-01-09, 20:10
I used to have long hair. Now I have short hair and am seriously considering going bald. It wouldn't take much effort to look like Bruce Willis lol.

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-01-09, 20:13
That's stupid on the school's part to make long hair a no-no for guys. Personally though, I don't like how long hair looks on most guys anyway, but it's still wrong to force someone to look a certain way.

Lew
18-01-09, 20:51
How long hair exactly? If you're thinking long hair as in long hair for girls, well i dont really like that look. But the school can't make you, although maybe they're just looking out for you cause they've heard other kids not like it? I dunno.

Legends
18-01-09, 21:06
Never had a problem with it.

jjbennett
19-01-09, 00:15
Having to fool with long hair is annoying. Buzz cut ftw.
QFT.

I tried to grow my hair long with my beard once (a la 90's Clapton look) and gave up as it takes so long.

Currently my beard is about twice as long as my hair and that suits me fine.

Feather Duster
19-01-09, 00:33
That's dumb.

Some guys look better with long hair :whi: *spaces out about guy* Woops, I'm back :D

Voni
19-01-09, 07:41
That does seem pretty ridiculous. Why can girls have long hair and not the lads?

My fella gets very annoyed at work, as he has long hair and he's made to tie it back. This wouldn't be a problem, but the girls are allowed to leave theirs loose if they want to. Double standards, eh?

RAID
19-01-09, 07:44
:confused: Yes there are. Nop, same old boring High School.
Well, that sucks. Here, guys are not allowed to have long hair only at schools regarding food, catering, etc... Females have to tie it back. Which is still lame that females can tie it back, but guys can't.

Lara's Backpack
19-01-09, 08:23
Oh who cares, it depends on the school really. At my highschool you could be suspended for having hair that covered your ears too much, touched your hair, or had sideburns longer than half the length of your ear.

Meh. Care factor zero, you have your whole life after school to grow your hair like a hippy! :D

Drone
19-01-09, 10:03
at school? that sucks. That sucks even worse when it's a problem to wear long hair at work. But each company/manager has own dumbass rules

NympHadorA
19-01-09, 10:55
A real silly rule I think... There's the same rule here... Anyway I am a girl and I don't care too much about it. But boys do... :)

nickless
19-01-09, 14:19
umm.....there are no states in europe :confused:

heck no,we don't even have uniforms :D but as far as i have heared there is no such rule.not inBulgaria that is.then again there are no rules at all here :D i'm joking but it's just.....gah you won't understand...

Neteru
19-01-09, 14:22
umm.....there are no states in europe :confused:Umm ... yes there are.

MiCkiZ88
19-01-09, 14:25
No such rules in Finland/in the schools I've been to, and I doubt the Netherlands has any of those rules either. We dont have any dress codes or what not either.

nickless
19-01-09, 14:50
Umm ... yes there are.

ooooooh,yeah :p now i got it. i just didn't know they were called states in english :o

Lara-Thomas
19-01-09, 15:54
In my school , well i quess all of England , its fine

Mostly all boys have long hair , or long hair spiked.

woody543
19-01-09, 16:42
I go to an all boys school, in england, and it is a rule, it must not go beyond your collar, and i think you have to be able to see. Something about looking smart and being good for the schools image. They also have a rule against dying your hair, a friend of mine, also on the forums has just been asked to get rid of his hair dye, its currently red

LaraCablara
19-01-09, 16:45
What if they have some scar on their forehead that they want to cover up?

woody543
19-01-09, 16:57
What if they have some scar on their forehead that they want to cover up?

A fringe, im sure isnt considered "long"

and can someone clear up this states in europe thing, im clueless, i thought there was just countries?

Neteru
19-01-09, 17:28
Every country is a state. There are many meanings to the word 'state', one of which you will hear is in reference to a government of a country and a country itself as being 'the state'. A state can be a body of people occupying a particular area as well as the government ruling them. Bear in mind also that someone such as Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state. That is, she is head of both government and country. ... and I'll get done with this editing sooner or later.

nickless
19-01-09, 17:45
hehe,thanks for the explanation :p i actually taught 'state' in Europe is used,because the continent is devided in couple of...um,parts?lets say parts.as the Balkan(where i live)/Scandinavian peninsula ect.but thanks,Net,now i know the many many usages of the word "state" :p

Neteru
19-01-09, 17:50
There's more. I think you'll find there are about twenty different meanings to the word.

Punaxe
19-01-09, 18:13
My guess is that this person goes to a religious school or something.

Laurencarter
19-01-09, 18:19
Here is south africa the boys' hair is not allowed to be long. One of their stupid ideas to make us look neat.

Long hair can be neat.

Candee Sparks
19-01-09, 18:20
One reason why I prefer most schools in the states, freedom of appearance. I keep my hair shoulder length, pin straight and blood red and there's no way I could get away with that in other places.

just croft
20-01-09, 00:21
Every country is a state. There are many meanings to the word 'state', one of which you will hear is in reference to a government of a country and a country itself as being 'the state'. A state can be a body of people occupying a particular area as well as the government ruling them. Bear in mind also that someone such as Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state. That is, she is head of both government and country. ... and I'll get done with this editing sooner or later.

Ohh.... thanks ;)

MattTR
20-01-09, 01:58
I went to a Privite-Catholic high school and they always made guys cut their hair, and no longer then to cover their ears.. it's really dumb, never got it.

I couldn't even have facial hair.. :( But I have always had short hair, so that didn't bother me.

But anyways, college is a whole new, real world. So no more dumb rules like that. :p

Bellacima
20-01-09, 02:01
My school dont have any problems either with it. But it is the guys choice to grow there hair as long as they want just like a girl can make that choice

Benguitar
20-01-09, 02:33
Yeah, schools are starting to get strict about that now.

I am home schooled so I don't really have to worry about it, and I am growing my hair out long again, just for the fun of it.

:yik: :D ;)

Hybrid Soldier
20-01-09, 03:46
What is 'long' being defined as here? Longer than shoulder length? :confused: If so i do think its a bit much for a guy but everyone has their own preference. *shrugs*

woody543
20-01-09, 17:36
What is 'long' being defined as here? Longer than shoulder length? :confused: If so i do think its a bit much for a guy but everyone has their own preference. *shrugs*

In my school its over collar length, and i think, its at the point where you can tie it in a ponytail, long for guys tends to still be considered rather short for women

Pan
20-01-09, 17:45
At prep school one particularly nasty teacher would cut your hair while you worked if it was over collar length, without you knowing!!

Draco
20-01-09, 18:17
At prep school one particularly nasty teacher would cut your hair while you worked if it was over collar length, without you knowing!!

Assault with a deadly weapon.

Frankly, you would be justified in killing her.

Angelina_Fan
20-01-09, 18:46
that is sexism at its best grayfox360. that is a social problem that needs to be fixed.

pizzabob18
24-01-09, 03:35
That's why I'm glad I've always stayed in public co-ed schools!

I personally think it's absurd how they have to monitor how long or short someone's hair is. If you want to have long hair, then just let it grow, it doesn't matter what gender you are, same goes for short hair.

I can't stand school uniforms either. It's not right IMO to have kids and teenagers conform to one single dress code and not have the ability to express who they are. Obviously though, racist and/or extremely vulgar shirts should be banned.

Goose
24-01-09, 09:25

Thats true but we dont tend to call each other states, the only time people called european countries states was under Napoleonic or Nazi rule, because they were states controlled by a higher but slightly removed government using the sea or enemies as borders. The only places the EU tend to call states now are former Soviet ones, and locations like the Vatican city and Monaco.

They should allow people to be as they like, having long hair wont effect learning, but being told your not allowed to perform natural bodily functions like growing hair would cause some animosity in the student that will be taken out of school and into later life, the desire to be who they want, normally taken to a stupid and pierced extent. Where as allowing them to grow hair at age 13 or so, they would probably grow out of it and think 'wtf?' a couple of years later.