PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

jjbennett
19-01-09, 18:05
I'm looking to get a new ISP as AOL is just awful, really slow and the amount of software they make you install is a joke.

I've used countless checkers online and it appears i have a download speed of over 1 meg even though I'm on a 512 package :confused: Is it commonplace to get over the limit give?

Also, can anyone suggest a decent ISP that doesn't install loads of software (that will just host my connection) and is reasonably fast. I know i shall have to check if they are available in my area but i think our local exchange will only give max of 2mb where i live. :(

Cheers,
J.

Neteru
19-01-09, 18:11
If your exchange is ADSL2 enabled, then go for Be Internet (www.bethere.co.uk) for up to 24Mb connection.

Titanium
19-01-09, 18:12
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/

:wve:

Or if you have Fibre Optic cables connected to your place. You can get 50mb broadband from Virgin Media. (Pricey as heck though)

irjudd
19-01-09, 18:15
It's not unusual to get better speeds than you're paying for. I was given a trial that increased my bandwidth threefold for a few months, and they forgot to reset it, so I've been using the faster speed but paying for the lower one for 2 years now. :whi:

jjbennett
19-01-09, 18:19
Can't get BE unfortunately and we have no cable at all here, only phoneline connections.

Forgot to mention it needs to be unlimited - I've been trawling for hours and all i can find is Virgin that will give up to 1.5meg and BT but the BT one seems a little weird.

Titanium
19-01-09, 18:26
Can't get BE unfortunately and we have no cable at all here, only phoneline connections.

Forgot to mention it needs to be unlimited - I've been trawling for hours and all i can find is Virgin that will give up to 1.5meg and BT but the BT one seems a little weird.

Well you can always go for the standard "up to 8mb broadband". Fixed broadband speeds on ADSL do seem to be less common now.

jjbennett
19-01-09, 18:30
I can only get up to 2mb due to our exchange being built around the paleozoic era.

Most of the companies will only give up to 1mb in our area you see and virgin is the only one that will go over that oddly.

Is there a way to check the maximum you can get in your area as the 2mb figure i have is from 2 years ago and i have no idea how i got hold of it!

Saphyre
19-01-09, 18:49
We used to have Pipex, but it was annoying as the connection would randomly stop working and you'd have to keep resetting your modem. Now we've just switched to BT, and I must say, its like a downgrade of pipex if I'm honest. For the first ten days it was wonderful, but now its so slow its beyond a joke. A 25 second youtube vid takes ages to load and you can forget sites with loads of images on them like DeviantArt etc.

I know it doesn't help much, but thats just my personal experiences with those two ISPs. I sooo wanna change again :(

jjbennett
19-01-09, 18:55
Cheers mate :) BT seemed odd as you can get broadband and phone in one package yet you still have to pay line rental and extra calls, very suspicious.

spikejones
19-01-09, 18:59
where are you located at? it would help to start there to see what services are available in your area. Im personally on Road Runner's basic connection.
if you go to www.speedtest.net you can lookup statistics on what services are the best in your area (top 10). go to that site, click "global stats", then narrow the selection based on continent, country, region, and finally city. Then click "show city stats"
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/untitled-1.jpg

jjbennett
19-01-09, 19:04
Thanks for that :D

Oddly though you choose Derbyshire and then Derby isn't on the list :confused: