PDA

View Full Version : Devising a Piece of Theatre

Changeling
19-01-09, 19:36
Hello everybody! :D

Right, for a thing we're doing in my Drama class, we have to devise a piece of theatre. We had to choose a title of either, "Forgive & Forget?", "Letting Go" and "It's Magic!". After discussion, we decided to go for "It's Magic!".

Now, including myself, there are only 5 people in our Drama class (interest in the performing arts is low up here) and one of them rarely turns up, and another has had a poor attendance recently, so really it's only 3 of us.

I'm sort of stuck in coming up with ideas. We all have to contribute, but to be perfectly honest, the other students in my Drama class don't seem to care about this as much as I do. :o

I don't want this to be a straight-out play. I want this to be that sort of theatre that can take you on an emotional journey. One of those situations where you go to watch one of those dance/movement drama's or something and you can tell that there is an underlying story and message, but you don't really have a clue what is going on, but the Performers do. :p

I'm drawing inspiration from a musical that was developed in 2007 called 'Rare Dreams' which explored the mythic aspect of dreams:
EeStNIL3V08&feature=channel_page

I'm not asking you to write the thing for me, but have any of you ever had any 'magical' experiences? Something that we could develop into a scene perhaps? Or maybe you know someone who's had these sort of experiences?

It's just that we really only have the title right now, and I thought that it would be good to devise little scenes of magical experiences/situations and put them into it. ;)

We're aiming to try and have a bit of everything in it: acting, singing, movement and some good ol' physical theatre.

We've decided that the main theme of it should be sort of dark/spooky/disturbing/etc.

Thank you! :D

laralover_07
19-01-09, 19:53
How about basing it on emergency services, and how they are "magic" to the community?

Sounds sappy, but have a scene where someone almost gets hit by a car, use lighting and sound to spark true fear into the audience and show how frenzied you can react to a near-death situation.

Have someone dying in a hospital during surgery and make everything white and bright slowly fading away then coming back.

Are you trying to make it a "Play" or a "Performance"?

Changeling
20-01-09, 15:57
How about basing it on emergency services, and how they are "magic" to the community?

Sounds sappy, but have a scene where someone almost gets hit by a car, use lighting and sound to spark true fear into the audience and show how frenzied you can react to a near-death situation.

Have someone dying in a hospital during surgery and make everything white and bright slowly fading away then coming back.

Are you trying to make it a "Play" or a "Performance"?

That's a really good idea and it would go well theatrically, I think I could use that in part of it. :tmb:

I'd say I'm trying to make it more of a performance than a Play. I'm planning on having a lot of variety in it. I've come up with three ideas that I think could go well so far:

The Otherworld - a scene that blends the real world and the Otherworld of spirits and magical creatures together.

The Norns - I think this would be a really good scene to do with the girls. You've probably heard of them if you've played TRU, but the Norns were three women who sat at the base of the World Tree (Yggdrasil) and wove the tapestry of existence; determening the fate of all man.

Reflection/Doppelganger - a scene about someone's reflection coming to life and stepping out of the mirror into the real world, but it has a wicked mind and starts to slowly make the real person's life worse and worse.

Those are just a few ideas. I just sort of need base ideas that I can develop more into a scene. :D