PDA

View Full Version : Do I Sound Stupid?

EmeraldFields
20-01-09, 05:06
After wasting away on YouTube I decided to ask a question of those of you who do not have an American accent.

Does it sound stupid? Do you like it? Or is it less of the accent and more about our difference in word choices that makes a bigger impression?

These are the things that keep me up at night!:)

spikejones
20-01-09, 05:08
huh? i must have missed something.:confused:

EmeraldFields
20-01-09, 05:11
I was watching a video on YouTube where this one guy asked others if they thought that the American Accent was stupid. I was just asking the same.:)

TQGSOva20Fo

spikejones
20-01-09, 05:16
and here I was running around looking for a thread you made about a youtube video you put up with yourself talking, and wanted input about if you sounded stupid. :hea:

well... he in particular sounds stupid to me, but not because of his accent (or lack thereof considering I too am an american). Ask Jo Ann what she thinks of MY voice.

dont dis the south!!!!

rmecpirate
20-01-09, 05:25
Well, I personally have always felt that our accent is kinda bland. Granted, the States have a bunch of accents within it, but the "stereotypical" accent has always been portrayed as a Southern accent or a monotone, boring accent. Then again, I'm around people with hispanic and carribean accents all day so my own stands out a lot more in my ears.

CerebralAssassin
20-01-09, 05:36
being a dual citizen myself,I can appreciate the different accents from around the world.The american accent,yes.I love it...(the "classical" version mostly).one accent I'm not particularly fond of is the british,simply because sometimes I don't understand what they are on about (Especially the scottish,huh..:hea:)

Ikas90
20-01-09, 05:45
I like all accents except my own. I think it sounds stupid. :p (not the normal Australian accent though, which I think is fine)

I like the American accent. :) And anything European lol.

Mad Tony
20-01-09, 07:27
I don't think there's anything wrong with the American accent. American accents are easier to understand than some British accents like northern and Scottish ones. :p

spikejones
20-01-09, 07:54
^really? must not have heard me talk then. I swear I made a video one time and played it back thinking "what the hell did I just say?". Its always strange to hear your own voice though. anyhow, I find that the major difference that I notice between the southern US accent and the typical British accent is that the British tend to be more "proper" about their enunciation/pronunciation, meaning that pretty much every word that comes out of their mouth you hear each syllable pronounced in its entirety. The southern US accent is more relaxed and tends to trail off and the end of a lot of words, so a person who's not familiar with the accent will have difficulty understanding what a person is saying. typically it comes from talking a bit faster I would say. Of course, if I were to slow my speech down, you would still get the accent, but would be better able to understand what it is that I am saying.

it may be that distinction there that makes some non-americans think that we are stupid since we arent as "proper" about our pronunciation. But.. that is the way we speak. I personally find it a bore to pronounce everything exactly correct.

Nefertiti_89
20-01-09, 08:09
After wasting away on YouTube I decided to ask a question of those of you who do not have an American accent.

Does it sound stupid? Do you like it? Or is it less of the accent and more about our difference in word choices that makes a bigger impression?

LOL you're so adorable! :hug: and of course you know I love you, but I do think that SOME American accents can sound stupid, and they seem to often originate from the south example: GWB (admit it, he sounds and often acts like Forrest Gump). For the most part though I think its not so much a matter of whether or not you guys sound stupid, its that you sound irritating. I don't mean to offend anyone I really don't, I just want to be honest.

To me, the most annoying accents originate from the West Coast, and the South. I had a teacher at school who was from Oregon and her voice still annoys the crap out of me to this very day, but then she was also a very obnoxious human being in general which definitely didn't help lol. An old friend of mine also has a Californian mother and while she's a lovely lady, I avoid her at all costs because her voice is just so...abrasive.

I do think that word choices and basic sentence construction do also play a key role. A lot of American kids I've met do seem to have an issue in the word choice department, and the grammar department as well. It can be as simple as asking "Do you want fries with that?" as opposed to "Would you like fries with that?" the latter just sounds...more proper which is something that I think also got dropped in American enlgish along with the U in words like favourite.

Anyway, its no reflection of how intelligent you all are and thats defintely something I've learnt here...not physically having to listen to you and stuff. Besides, Americans aren't the only ones with some stupid accents, the Brits as well as the Aussies all have their fair share as well! I mean honestly, what the hell kind of word is "crikey!", and then of course there's the Kiwis......:p

Jo269976
20-01-09, 08:35
and Scottish ones. :p

Just think, what could we possibly be saying? :ton:

Pan
20-01-09, 08:41
Some American accents are nice to listen to for about 5 minutes but then they just get annoying (i.e. Southern). Generally I don't mind them but they're often so nasal and whiny, like a fly trapped in a lightbulb. I live in Surrey and speak 'The Queen's English' which is not necessarily a good thing, especially if you go to northern London or other rough places where 'day tawk liek dis bruv'. :D

Neteru
20-01-09, 08:51

These are the things that keep me up at night!:)In general terms and for the most part I like the sound of most American accents, that I can think of. Some Southern ones are particularly endearing. I also love the sound of the word 'coffee' as spoken by some quarters of New York, a la 'kwoffee'. :D Love it. I tend to like the Boston accent very much, and am very amused by the accent as used in what I believe is Minnesota (as featured in Fargo). That one is very quaint to my ear. But I am bugged by the pronunciation and use of some words all over America. The major bugbear is 'movie'. That to my ear (and eye) is simplistic. I am also irritated by 'aluminum' and 'nucular'. Also, as some have mentioned, general American accents are irritating where they are very nasal as they sound quite whiny.

rowanlim
20-01-09, 09:01
Ask Jo Ann what she thinks of MY voice.

dont dis the south!!!!

I like your voice :p

No I don't think the American accent sounds stupid, I think no accent sounds stupid, I'll only be *****ed if I can't understand what the person is saying. I myself speak with a mix of accents, Malaysian accent is "rojak" (blended).

Lara's Backpack
20-01-09, 11:27
The southern accent makes both sexes sound ridiculous and unintelligent.

The nasal male accent sounds gay, and the female equivalent gives them an obnoxious tone.

Sorry :tea:

But mostly, the yanks sound... bearable.

Smog
20-01-09, 11:33
Just think, what could we possibly be saying? :ton:

Glaswegian is awesome. It's like a whole new language. :p

Pan
20-01-09, 11:59
Yes, or scouser accent, sounds like they've swallowed something and are trying to cough it up! I shan't even begin to try to write it but:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sBYlXfjKru4

Geck-o-Lizard
20-01-09, 12:07
Does it sound stupid?

My accent or yours? :vlol:

touchthesky
20-01-09, 12:15
I don't have a problem understanding Scottish people lol, but I guess thats because I've lived up here for two years.

Anyway, I don't mind the American accent, it's the same as everywhere for me, there are some places that are just urgh, grating, and others that are sweet.

I adore the Louisiana accent!

MiCkiZ88
20-01-09, 12:29
I dont mind the American accents and personally I speak mix of different english accents. Mainly British accents. Some fins find it incredibly annoying though and prefer American accents. Just like they prefer everything else from America as well (everything has to be huge and new).

Encore
20-01-09, 12:34
I don't have anything against american accents at all. Curious enough, I have seen numerous people - some of them americans, for that matter!! - who seem to have something against their own language because they complain about "american accent" in a lot of movies or video games! Examples: Tom Hulce who plays Mozart in Amadeus, or the guy who voices the Prince in the latest Prince of Persia. In reality, Mozart speaking with an american accent makes just as much sense as a suposedly posh british one, because in reality he spoke GERMAN. So why do people have this idea that for high drama, the british accent is more appropriate, even if it's not accurate at all??

Quasimodo
20-01-09, 12:55
I don't have anything against american accents at all. Curious enough, I have seen numerous people - some of them americans, for that matter!! - who seem to have something against their own language because they complain about "american accent" in a lot of movies or video games! Examples: Tom Hulce who plays Mozart in Amadeus, or the guy who voices the Prince in the latest Prince of Persia. In reality, Mozart speaking with an american accent makes just as much sense as a suposedly posh british one, because in reality he spoke GERMAN. So why do people have this idea that for high drama, the british accent is more appropriate, even if it's not accurate at all??
Reminds me of a sci-fi spoof:
Luke or whoever: "Why are we speaking with English accents when there is no Britain?"

]{eith
20-01-09, 13:00
I don't think the American Accent sounds stupid, I just don't particularly like it.

But it's not like I can talk, I've an Irish accent. :p

spikejones
20-01-09, 15:19
The southern accent makes both sexes sound ridiculous and unintelligent.

The nasal male accent sounds gay, and the female equivalent gives them an obnoxious tone.

Sorry :tea:

But mostly, the yanks sound... bearable.

im sorry, but where does everyone get the impression that the southern accent is a "nasal" one. I beg to differ. Its more the northern "Joy-zee" (Jersey) type accent that is "nasal". Those are the ones that sound ridiculous to me. But at the same time, these are the accents which it seems the Brits seem to find so endearing, such as Neturu who like the way coffee is pronounced as "caffee".

violentblossom
20-01-09, 15:55
*sigh* I'm from Texas and i don't even have a southern one. :(

I'd DIE for an English accent..... one of my really good friends is British and i practically drool when i hear him talk. LOL, and sometimes i make him say odd things ("banana beard") that make his accent stand out more.

I should've been a European. :(

irjudd
20-01-09, 15:59
Reminds me of a sci-fi spoof:
Luke or whoever: "Why are we speaking with English accents when there is no Britain?"
That was in Steve Oedekerk's Thumb wars :D

Agent 47
20-01-09, 16:17

no, the American accent doesn't sound stupid. like other countries it has regional dialect and as such it's bound to differ.

hehe, some English accents however are shocking, subtitles needed :D

Neteru
20-01-09, 16:21
... subtitles needed :D

For anybody from the South and where the accent originates anywhere else. :p

Trigger_happy
20-01-09, 16:25
If you compare an English one to an American- I mean the generic TV ones, not real ones-I think that neither sounds stupid, but some American Pronunciations are just annoying. What happened to the i in Aluminium? You can really hear the difference in this youtube video, with the lovely Anna Friel:D:

bD67Rqou1DQ

Its just the first 30 seconds

Trigger_happy
20-01-09, 16:40
But it does- at least in British English. The Wiki page has it spelt the right way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

Its those little bits that get me, not because the accent sounds "stupid".

irjudd
20-01-09, 16:44
I often wonder why things are spelled different in American English. I can't see the point of changing it over time.

Agent 47
20-01-09, 16:46
For anybody from the South and where the accent originates anywhere else. :p

don't you be dissing us Northerners Neteru. there is a universe outside of the London borders you know :D

tomblover
20-01-09, 16:52
I prefer American accents to British accents.

I prefer American English to British English, as well.

Personally, I oddly enough have a decent British accent. Something like Oxford English? :p

spikejones
20-01-09, 16:53
But it does- at least in British English. The Wiki page has it spelt the right way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

Its those little bits that get me, not because the accent sounds "stupid".

you mean it has it spelled firstly as the British way and then as the American way. Aluminium sounds so silly IMO. :vlol:

neither way is wrong. both are correct and usage varies upon local. i think thats where a lot of Brits have a stick up their butt. They think that only their version of the language is the "right" way.

irjudd
20-01-09, 16:54
... They think that only their version of the language is the "right" way.
Probably because it was the first way? At least I would assume so.

Trigger_happy
20-01-09, 16:55
neither way is wrong. both are correct and usage varies upon local. i think thats where a lot of Brits have a stick up their butt. They think that only their version of the language is the "right" way.

And the same for some Americans. The best bits are when the meanings of words change completely between the two languages- American's don't think a Fanny pack is funny, but over here, yeah...

spikejones
20-01-09, 16:56
And the same for some Americans. The best bits are when the meanings of words change completely between the two languages- American's don't think a Fanny pack is funny, but over here, yeah...

are you referring to a "fag bag"?
see definition 2 here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fag%20bag

I dont call it that myself, but I know lots who do. I dont like them myself. I find them ridiculous.

Trigger_happy
20-01-09, 16:59
are you referring to a "fag bag"?
see definition 2 here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fag%20bag

I've never heard them called that before. Here they called something like a bum bag. They ain't really common though.

irjudd
20-01-09, 17:04
Yeah those things are pretty dorky.

Neteru
20-01-09, 17:13
open your ears I say. about the hardest accent I've heard to figure out was the pikey in "snatch"

Well I can understand it, which is why I've deleted the post because of the language content of that clip. ;)

don't you be dissing us Northerners Neteru. there is a universe outside of the London borders you know :DI'm not. I'm 'dissing' Southerners.

rickybazire
20-01-09, 17:30
Hehe, I always think the American accent is an exaggerated accent...

:cln:

Agent 47
20-01-09, 17:30
Well I can understand it, which is why I've deleted the post because of the language content of that clip. ;)

I'm not. I'm 'dissing' Southerners.

oh ok fair enough :o :D

spikejones
20-01-09, 17:31

I'm not. I'm 'dissing' Southerners.

well the context of your post saying "anyone from other areas" makes it appear as though you're dissing anyone not from Mongo (or whatever your actual location is). as for the clip, yeah. Its hard to find a decent clip of Snatch that doesnt have profanity in it. The movie is riddled with it. But by that logic - might as well delete the post about "fag bag" before the homosexuals scream about it. Don't want to offend anyone here. Not that I'm bashing gay people at all. In fact, I've got a couple close friends that are gay - who actually are not offended by the term. simply because they embrace their homosexuality.

I find it very inconsiderate to diss the southerners dialect and accent though. Im a southerner myself actually. Although I dont have as deep a southern accent as you may find in Texas or Louisiana (which are two totally different accents in and of themselves) I have been told that I certainly have a country draw. I hear it myself at times as well and it surprises me. But oh well. When I was living in Louisiana, I was told that I had a "northern" accent - which I disagree with as I view northern accents to be those like Wisconsin, New York, New Jersey etc. and even those in themselves are varied. Regional dialect and accent in the United States draws heavily upon the ancestral aspect of things. The original immigrants of a region play a major role in the dialect and accents still present in that area. Being the melting pot that we are, there's all sorts of language to be heard.

mau3genius
20-01-09, 17:34

I don't know. I don't think it sounds stupid, but then again, here you don't have people talking in English very often, so hearing someone speaking that language fluently is already music for my ears :p
I don't see the problem with Scottish accent either, it sounds like gibberish but it's really cute :D

Agent 47
20-01-09, 17:37
well the context of your post saying "anyone from other areas" makes it appear as though you're dissing anyone not from Mongo (or whatever your actual location is). as for the clip, yeah. Its hard to find a decent clip of Snatch that doesnt have profanity in it. The movie is riddled with it. But by that logic - might as well delete the post about "fag bag" before the homosexuals scream about it. Don't want to offend anyone here. Not that I'm bashing gay people at all. In fact, I've got a couple close friends that are gay - who actually are not offended by the term. simply because they embrace their homosexuality.

I find it very inconsiderate to diss the southerners dialect and accent though. Im a southerner myself actually. Although I dont have as deep a southern accent as you may find in Texas or Louisiana (which are two totally different accents in and of themselves) I have been told that I certainly have a country draw. I hear it myself at times as well and it surprises me. But oh well. When I was living in Louisiana, I was told that I had a "northern" accent - which I disagree with as I view northern accents to be those like Wisconsin, New York, New Jersey etc. and even those in themselves are varied. Regional dialect and accent in the United States draws heavily upon the ancestral aspect of things. The original immigrants of a region play a major role in the dialect and accents still present in that area. Being the melting pot that we are, there's all sorts of language to be heard.

i think you may have misunderstood, Neteru was refering to my post about English accents :vlol: hence his post about southerners :D

i think :pi:

Neteru
20-01-09, 17:40
Oh lordy, lordy. I do declare!

spikejones
20-01-09, 17:44
oh i understood. he was dissing the southern accent (as well as those accents that originate from other areas) ie. any accent that does not take its origins from where he resides. ie... lots of accents.

now I do find it interesting that the mass majority of people call it "the American accent" and some will go so far as to split it up to "southern accent and northern accent" and they put a label on it as "ridiculous". Im willing to bet the mass majority of those people have not traveled to various parts of the US and heard just how many different accents there are. Its not just one or two as I pointed out above. and its not just recent immigrants talking in a "funny accent". Its everywhere. With 50 states theres gotta be at least 50 different accents in this nation. Yet the world outside the US puts a label on it as "the American accent".

Quasimodo
20-01-09, 17:48
Anyone notice how it's typically Americans who are fascinated by accents?
Sjfd4hnE-PI

Neteru
20-01-09, 17:52
oh i understood. he was dissing the southern accent (as well as those accents that originate from other areas) ie. any accent that does not take its origins from where he resides. ie... lots of accents.

Spike good fellow. It's not accents you're having the most trouble with. It's English basic. You have completely misread my post. My post commented on Southerns (English) generally not being able to understand accents other than their own.

jackles
20-01-09, 17:54
Ahem !!!!

As a southerner I can understand anyones accent.

:ton:

and stop dissing us!!!!

spikejones
20-01-09, 17:55
oh.. well then I did misinterpret your statement and for that I apologize. as for the validity of your statement, its up for debate. I can certainly understand a lot of accents be it British, Indian, or even that pikey from the video I posted. I said it was a bit difficult to understand, but I did understand it nonetheless.

oh crap.. I think I misunderstood again. were you referring to southerners on the other other side of the pond from me?

eww.. typing difficulties today

Neteru
20-01-09, 18:11
Yes I was. And I wasn't actually being serious. I was just making a joke based upon stereotype (and some personal experience) with Agent47.

And btw, pehaps you don't know and are slightly misled by that film, but the term 'pikey' is offensive.

EmeraldFields
20-01-09, 18:16
Thanks for the response even though there is a variety of accents in the US.:D

spikejones
20-01-09, 18:18
Yes I was. And I wasn't actually being serious. I was just making a joke based upon stereotype (and some personal experience) with Agent47.

And btw, pehaps you don't know and are slightly misled by that film, but the term 'pikey' is offensive.

really.. that'll go in the "something new you learnt today" thread.

Agent 47
20-01-09, 18:24

even i didn't know that :eek: and i'm English :vlol:

EmeraldFields
20-01-09, 18:26

Mine as well!:D I can't think of any pejorative terms that are just from the US...

]{eith
20-01-09, 19:17
Howiya lads? How's she cuttin'? Bejaysus, you all sound shockin' impartant with yer fancy accents, I'm goin' on to bursht all before me.

bivvy
20-01-09, 19:21
I love the New York accent.

Eleana
20-01-09, 19:38
American accents can sound really nice; for me it depends on the voice of the person talking. The only time it sounds stupid is when a stupid person is talking. :ton:

I have a pretty plain English accent. My favourite accent is the Devon accent though. My mum was raised down in Somerset, and I think its great. :D

laralover_07
20-01-09, 19:42
I love all accents, apart from glaswegian.

I especially love the African accent.

Another Lara
20-01-09, 20:03
I find my own accent annoyingly common! I'm too cockney to have the grating Essex accent, but then I've got too much of an Essex twang to be a cockney!:o

I've always loved any American accent, they always fascinated me when I was growing up... although now I work in Kensington, there's a lot of obnoxious rich Californian kids who go to school round there and they always seem to think they own the place... they annoy me so much that I find the Californian accent to be really nasaly and whiney!

But other than that, I love any American accent!:)

Oh and Southerners (UK) rule! :ton:

Aphrodite22
20-01-09, 20:05
i like american accents, whats wrong with them?? oh and i love british accent :D

scion05
20-01-09, 20:07
I don't think there's anything wrong with the American accent. American accents are easier to understand than some British accents like northern and Scottish ones. :p

Well, I'd definately sooner have a manchester accent than a cockney accent and talk like Pat Butcher :wve:

Another Lara
20-01-09, 20:09
Well, I'd definately sooner have a manchester accent than a cockney accent and talk like Pat Butcher :wve:

There's nothing wrong with sounding like Pat Butcher... my whole family sounds like that!!!:(

Aphrodite22
20-01-09, 20:12
here u can see what accent u have lol

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4760/neutralhz6.png

scion05
20-01-09, 20:17
There's nothing wrong with sounding like Pat Butcher... my whole family sounds like that!!!:(

RICKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :vlol:

Sorry lol, couldn't resist :p Love pat, the accent kinda grates lol.

Another Lara
20-01-09, 20:24
admittedly yeah I know what you mean... but cockney is infinitely better than the essex accent, no British accent grates on me more!

spikejones
20-01-09, 20:35

Which American accent do you have? (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)

My Results:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_240673695.jpg (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)
Western

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

i beg to differ about saying stock and stalk. it retardedly thinks I say them the same. I say them differently - of course it depends on what type "stalk" you are talking about. The verb ie "stalking someone" I will pronounce with a "stall" sound. The noun, as in "Jack and the bean stalk" I do sometimes pronounce as "stock", but its a toss up as to how it comes out. and I'm not from the west either - EAST COAST baby!

VonCroy360
20-01-09, 20:35
I find this (http://accent.gmu.edu/) website really interesting. Check it out if you haven't before. :tmb:

I personally love the scottish or australian accents, cause they're something we don't hear everyday - people who speak English over here speak it in a mixture of that "regular" american accent (which is in most movies and on tv, offcourse) and the english accent we learn in school.

EmeraldFields
20-01-09, 20:37
I find this (http://accent.gmu.edu/) website really interesting. Check it out if you haven't before. :tmb:

I personally love the scottish or australian accents, cause they're something we don't hear everyday - people who speak English over here speak it in a mixture of that "regular" american accent (which is in most movies and on tv, offcourse) and the english accent we learn in school.

I have been to this site before!:D I enjoy listening to all of the different accents.:)

siouxsiecrux
20-01-09, 20:40
It depends what you mean by the "american" accent, there are so many different types. Its the same as people from britain, people always assume british people talk like posh academics, which is not true. Although I must say the common english accent is vomit-worthy.

RockSteady101
20-01-09, 20:41
American accents are easier to understand than some British accents like northern and Scottish ones. :p

Haw you yah dafty wits that supposed tae mean? Tryin tae insult mah accent in' aw that?

LMAO

I know that certain Scottish accents are dreadful...hopefully not including mine. :p

Mad Tony
20-01-09, 20:42

:ton:Not all southerners speak like that, only some. :p

6VLYpKGVBUg

Aye up! Just going down t' pub t' have a pint of lager.

Neteru
20-01-09, 20:47
I find this (http://accent.gmu.edu/) website really interesting. Check it out if you haven't before. :tmb:Interesting link. I'd love to submit a sample to it, but couldn't because my accent isn't native.

EmeraldFields
20-01-09, 20:53
This is what I most sound like.:)

http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=137

TRenTIs
20-01-09, 23:12
American accents don't sound stupid. American's "trying" to do the Australian accent do sound stupid. We're not as stereotypical as we have been portrayed; some of us don't even know when Australia day is.

(And what happened to Holly Valance's accent?)

Gladous
20-01-09, 23:19
People stereotype Americans to death!

The people I know assume Americans are hill billies. Not all of us are!

But if you go deep into the south, you'll find them! :p

Thorir
20-01-09, 23:25
Not stupid. Just... Less elegant.

Forwen
21-01-09, 00:11
By the way, can someone who's played Call of Duty 4 tell me what accent McMillan speaks (yeah, it looks like a dead giveaway but I want to be certain/more specific). You can hear him in the beginning of this vid:

DwGV9Nl4RjE

If awesomeness had accent it would be this.

Quasimodo
21-01-09, 00:24
This is what I most sound like.:)

http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=137

I sound like this: http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=107

kidding!:p

Nefertiti_89
21-01-09, 00:25
American accents don't sound stupid. American's "trying" to do the Australian accent do sound stupid. We're not as stereotypical as we have been portrayed; some of us don't even know when Australia day is.

(And what happened to Holly Valance's accent?)

LOL agreed! Wait, let me add that into my peeves on the peeves thread.....

Though I think we all know when Australia day is, PARTICULARLY because we get a day off for it this year WOOT!:jmp: Bring on Monday I'm goin to the beach!

Oh and another hint guys, the word "shrimp" isn't in the Australian vocabulary. Its called a PRAWN!!!!!!!

oocladableeblah
21-01-09, 00:32
Don't have a problem with American accents, then again I am American :p
I don't have a problem with any accents I find them interesting and cool :D

As for the quiz Aphrodite posted I got neutral.

Dingaling
21-01-09, 00:43
By the way, can someone who's played Call of Duty 4 tell me what accent McMillan speaks (yeah, it looks like a dead giveaway but I want to be certain/more specific). You can hear him in the beginning of this vid:

If awesomeness had accent it would be this.

MacMillan's Scottish :).

Forwen
21-01-09, 00:50
MacMillan's Scottish :).

Thanks, yeah suspected as much from his surname, but is it some kind of regional accent or "Scottish" is enough to identify it?

spikejones
21-01-09, 00:58
Oh and another hint guys, the word "shrimp" isn't in the Australian vocabulary. Its called a PRAWN!!!!!!!

yea yea yea.. we shouldn't say "throw another shrimp on the barbie" nor should we expect for "Fosters" to be a local brew. I had an Aussie camp counselor ;)

Dingaling
21-01-09, 01:01
Thanks, yeah suspected as much from his surname, but is it some kind of regional accent or "Scottish" is enough to identify it?

Scottish would be enough to identify it. Maybe Geck-O can pin it down a bit better but all I can give you is Scottish :p.

EmeraldFields
21-01-09, 01:11
I sound like this: http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=107

LOL!:vlol:

Eddie Haskell
21-01-09, 01:12

Which American accent does Eddie Haskell have?

Northern:
You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Very accurate. Pretty good test if I may say so.

Larapink
21-01-09, 01:13
I was watching a video on YouTube where this one guy asked others if they thought that the American Accent was stupid. I was just asking the same.:)
About that guy in that youtube video, I don't know why he's worrying so much the accent is fine. I have no problem with American accents.

Nefertiti_89
21-01-09, 01:18
yea yea yea.. we shouldn't say "throw another shrimp on the barbie" nor should we expect for "Fosters" to be a local brew. I had an Aussie camp counselor ;)

Ah then I see you are well learned in the Aussie ways!!! You have my permission to visit here then :p

Tihocan9
21-01-09, 01:24
I usually like any accent, it is cool to see how many ways you can speak one language. So I never think someone sounds stupid unless they purposefully try to be stupid.

I have a neutral accent according to the quiz, which is correct since I live in southern Ohio (Dayton (near Cincinnati)

Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

spikejones
21-01-09, 01:30
LOL!:vlol:

whats funny about that? I actually spoke on the phone at length with a lady that sounded like that. such a sweetheart she was.

you really wanna hear what I sound like?:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/phone%20modding/th_finalcut.jpg (http://s383.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/phone%20modding/finalcut.flv)

Opens in a new window - full size. audio gets a bit choppy at places, but you can definitely hear me;) I made the video as a tut for a different site, but you get the picture.:D

Quasimodo
21-01-09, 01:32
whats funny about that? I actually spoke on the phone at length with a lady that sounded like that. such a sweetheart she was.

I like the extra syllable in "ringtone" :p

Just to be fair, here's my god-awful faux English accent. Go ahead and laugh. Awesome animation and rendering by Rivendell, of course :)
4CWjFxvsIgM.

The Kansas lady soundbite made me laugh because it reminded me of a role I played in high school theater (Big Mama from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof):p

EmeraldFields
21-01-09, 01:33
whats funny about that? I actually spoke on the phone at length with a lady that sounded like that. such a sweetheart she was.D

My LOL was for the fact that the sample was an older woman not that she had a southern accent.:)

I think that a southern accent is comforting! I like to watch Paula Dean on the Food Network now and again.:p

Opens in a new window - full size. audio gets a bit choppy at places, but you can definitely hear me;) I made the video as a tut for a different site, but you get the picture.:D

You have a nice voice spike! Where are you from?

spikejones
21-01-09, 01:33
I like the extra syllable in "ringtone" :p

what extra syllable:confused: how do you say it?
You have a nice voice spike! Where are you from?

i live in Raleigh, North Carolina - born here but have moved around a lot in my life. I have lived in Virginia, Maryland, and Louisiana as well.

EmeraldFields
21-01-09, 01:42
i live in Raleigh, North Carolina - born here but have moved around a lot in my life. I have lived in Virginia, Maryland, and Louisiana as well.

I want to go to the east coast on my next vacation. Last year we took a trip through part of the south. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, then headed back home. I've been to all the states except for the ones that are on the East and West coasts.

Neteru
21-01-09, 07:34

That's an adorable accent. So warm and friendly to my ear.

Has a slight twang to it over and above a standard American accent. I can only really say that it sounds a bit 'dude-ish', in a friendly kind of way if you know what I mean.

Just to be fair, here's my god-awful faux English accent.Slipping into an Australian accent there, but not a bad effort.

iamlaracroft
21-01-09, 08:03
I really need to get a microphone or figure out what the hell is wrong with the one in this laptop, because I'm quite the dead-ringer for Juddith Gibbon's TR2-3 Lara as well as Shelly Blonde's (not to toot my own horn or anything :whi: :p).

I'm also really good at fooling others into thinking I'm australian. I know that accent inside 'n' out! :D

But other than affected ones, I have no accent.
"American", yeah, but not localised. And I grew up in the south! Ha!

drakl0r
21-01-09, 08:04
Here in Malaysia we officially use British English for any English Language subject, but sometimes American and British terms are used interchangeably :D. And I think my accent is slightly influenced by American accent :D

rowanlim
21-01-09, 14:58
Here in Malaysia we officially use British English for any English Language subject, but sometimes American and British terms are used interchangeably :D. And I think my accent is slightly influenced by American accent :D

Rojak haha :D

I think recently more people are speaking with a light American accent...probably due to all the movies :p

Legend Killer
21-01-09, 15:57
Which American accent do you have? (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)

My Results:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_130492892.jpg (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)

Northeast New England The kind of accent they have in Boston. There is more to it than just r`s. Like, you say "don" and "dawn" the same while the people down in NYC don`t.

Pretty much spot on for me. When I was a kid one of my friend's parents had a wicked Irish brogue and spoke so fast that I could never understand them. One of my Dad's friends was French Canadian and when he spoke it sounded like gibberish at times as well. I don't dislike any accent though. :wve:

irjudd
21-01-09, 16:04
http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_428371978.jpg

Exactly what I suspected.

Neutral: You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

drakl0r
21-01-09, 16:10
Rojak haha :D

I think recently more people are speaking with a light American accent...probably due to all the movies :p

Agreed :D

"You go straight je, don't belok-belok" :D

spikejones
21-01-09, 16:24
Has a slight twang to it over and above a standard American accent. I can only really say that it sounds a bit 'dude-ish', in a friendly kind of way if you know what I mean.

how dare you relate me to horses ass!:hea: im sure you didnt mean that though. Depends on what type dude you're referring to though. Could it be the "surf's up dude" or the "dude rancher"?

(not sure where it comes from, but people used to say a dude is "a lump on a horses ass" :vlol:)

Neteru
21-01-09, 16:41
Oh, right. lol

Yeah, I mean surfer dude type, which, now I look at your avatar is kind of fitting. :D

irjudd
21-01-09, 16:44
He sounds like he's in the south but definitely not the annoying kind of south. The annoying kind of southern USA accent is incomprehensible, but spikejones is closer like you said to surferdude.

And I didn't hear anything odd about his pronunciation of "ringtone" either so I dunno what quasi is going on about.

spikejones
21-01-09, 16:49
possibly the drawn out "tooone":confused:.

Quasimodo
21-01-09, 16:50
He sounds like he's in the south but definitely not the annoying kind of south. The annoying kind of southern USA accent is incomprehensible, but spikejones is closer like you said to surferdude.

And I didn't hear anything odd about his pronunciation of "ringtone" either so I dunno what quasi is going on about.

My speakers are on the fritz. That could be it.

]{eith
21-01-09, 16:54

My Results:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_537664926.jpg (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)
Northern You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Hehe! I took the quiz for the craic. :p

Quasimodo
21-01-09, 17:02

My Results:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_428371978.jpg (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)
Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

irjudd
21-01-09, 17:17

My Results:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_428371978.jpg (http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827)
Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.
Awwww just like me! :hug:

*cough* :pi:

Quasimodo
21-01-09, 17:24
Awwww just like me! :hug:

*cough* :pi:

It's next to impossible to get 'Southern' on that quiz. Nrrrh.

EDIT: yayyy I did it - really had to lay own the drawl, though.

Aphrodite22
21-01-09, 17:25
http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/full_428371978.jpg

Exactly what I suspected.

Neutral: You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

My Results:

lol same here

irjudd
21-01-09, 17:34
It's next to impossible to get 'Southern' on that quiz. Nrrrh.

EDIT: yayyy I did it - really had to lay own the drawl, though.
So what is actually accurate then? :pi:

spikejones
21-01-09, 17:41
well the test called me western for some reason :confused:

hah. just noticed they don't have an "eastern" type.

Quasimodo
21-01-09, 17:43
So what is actually accurate then? :pi:

After listening to a recording of my voice, definitely neutral.

scion05
21-01-09, 18:04
Not all southerners speak like that, only some. :p

6VLYpKGVBUg

Oh god, it's been about two years since I last saw that! :vlol:

And btw, I do not speak like that at all :vlol:

]{eith
21-01-09, 19:02
Who wants a crash course in Dublin-ese?

K8c8aBWCbtc

woody543
21-01-09, 20:57
I don't mind the accent as such, for me the thing that annoys me is the pronunciation of some words e.g (Iraq and Aluminium).

In the Uk, I hate the "chav" accent and there slang, the cockney accent can get on my nerves a bit as well. I LOVE the british accent though, the one mainly seen in US tv programs, or like lara's accent and Alison carols. I just love it.

Neteru
21-01-09, 21:07
In the Uk, I hate the "chav" accent and there slang,

There isn't a 'chav' accent. There are 'chavs' all over the country, with the accent of their regions.

violentblossom
21-01-09, 21:10
There isn't a 'chav' accent. There are 'chavs' all over the country, with the accent of their regions.

i want a pet chav. :(

Neteru
21-01-09, 21:15
They bite.

violentblossom
21-01-09, 21:17
They bite.

even better. :D

i'll make him quote Harry Potter all day long and feed him watermelon rinds.

chavs may sound like whatever region theyre from, but their slang is pretty funny. XD

spikejones
21-01-09, 21:37
just get a pet "gangsta" from america. should prove to be more interesting.

violentblossom
21-01-09, 21:39
just get a pet "gangsta" from america. should prove to be more interesting.

i'm from America, and i think our gangsters are lame. :-\

spikejones
21-01-09, 21:41
oh.. crapppers. sorry. thought you were one of the UKers. yeah.. our "gangstas" are lame. But would probably be more interesting to a Brit than their chavs are. I dunno about the chavs though, they sound to me like the kind of person I'd smack the **** out of just for opening their mouth.

Neteru
21-01-09, 21:48
oh.. crapppers. sorry. thought you were one of the UKers. yeah.. our "gangstas" are lame. But would probably be more interesting to a Brit than their chavs are. I dunno about the chavs though, they sound to me like the kind of person I'd smack the **** out of just for opening their mouth.:vlol: Would you like to come over and personally deal with our problem with them then? You'd be most welcome. :D

bivvy
21-01-09, 21:50
Chavs or whatever you call them. My school is littered with them. Those morons wouldn't know a coin from a button.

violentblossom
21-01-09, 21:52
:vlol: Would you like to come over and personally deal with our problem with them then? You'd be most welcome. :D

hmm... is there a mail-order system where i could get one? i'll pay $$$.

just catch 'em all and deport them here as pets, Netty.. they'd be the next biggest craze, and before you know it, Paris Hilton is under investigation for starving one.

TRhalloween
21-01-09, 21:58
:vlol: Why do allot of Americans love British things that British people hate?

spikejones
21-01-09, 22:09
^why do British people call ciggarettes "fags"?

violentblossom
21-01-09, 22:09

i love everything British, LOL.

can i have a scone now, please?

TRhalloween
21-01-09, 22:12

I always guessed it was because a 'faggot' is a bundle of sticks and a cigarette is kind of like a stick. I'm probably wrong though.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think I'm right lol Cigarettes in a packet look like the bundle of sticks used to make a faggot.

Sorry that I had to use that word so much.

Los Angeles
21-01-09, 23:01
I'm russian. I speak german without russian accent, but english with german accent. People say I sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger... lol

Agent 47
21-01-09, 23:05

does that include the weather ? :D

what do they like that we don't ?

violentblossom
21-01-09, 23:07
does that include the weather ? :D

what do they like that we don't ?

Chavs, duh. :rolleyes:

woody543
21-01-09, 23:09

Well not accent then but there chavness, and their way of speeking, and language and just really their chavness

Agent 47
21-01-09, 23:19
Chavs, duh. :rolleyes:

on a different day i'd respond in kind to a post like that

rude often idiot :mad:

EmeraldFields
21-01-09, 23:23

My Results:

This is what I got as well.

violentblossom
21-01-09, 23:24
i wasn't trying to be rude... i was actually just kidding.

i'm sorry if i came off that way.

Agent 47
21-01-09, 23:27
i wasn't trying to be rude... i was actually just kidding.

i'm sorry if i came off that way.

then i apologise also, i have have a habit of misinterpreting that smilie :(

carry on :D

violentblossom
21-01-09, 23:28
lol, sometimes you really hafta hear how its said. writing can get you into trouble.

:hug:

irjudd
21-01-09, 23:32
then i apologise also, i have have a habit of misinterpreting that smilie :(

carry on :D
:rolleyes:

Agent 47
21-01-09, 23:35
lol, sometimes you really hafta hear how its said. writing can get you into trouble.

:hug:

that's actually true :vlol: i can post something and it sounds wrong upon reading it back :(

allie9x
30-01-09, 17:11
>Lol I like north-USA accents, when they are a bit deeper compared to the high, perky ones but I dont think they're weird in any way/

digitizedboy
30-01-09, 17:17

Because it's easier to spell than cigarettes. :D

I dunno... When I'm watching an American movie, I rarely pay attention to their accents. Unless they come from the deep south, then that really tends to stick out.

AmericanAssassin
30-01-09, 17:20
Well, I personally have always felt that our accent is kinda bland.

I agree. My voice is so boring. I'm thankful to not have a twang (or hillbillie voice), but I wish there was something to it. :p

Joely-Moley
30-01-09, 17:30
I hate my accent, Iíve lived in New York most of my life so it's a strong new Yorkish accent, but combined with Scottish...I don't know, I talk really weird.

Melonie Tomb Raider
30-01-09, 17:34
I'm glad I have an American accent, as I find it to be the coolest sounding. Though an English accent is very classy, I like that as well.

digitizedboy
30-01-09, 17:36
I'm glad I have an American accent, as I find it to be the coolest sounding. Though an English accent is very classy, I like that as well.

I've never heard anyone say someone from Liverpool or Birmingham sound classy. ROFL But I know what you mean, the "Hugh Granty" type accent? :)

Lew
30-01-09, 17:42
Not all southerners speak like that, only some. :p

6VLYpKGVBUg

Not all Northerners speak like that..... Wowww you've got it so wrongg.

Angelx14
30-01-09, 18:18
I don't mind the accent as long as I can understand what they are on about. I prefer British, though.

mizuno_suisei
30-01-09, 18:27
Everyone is talking about a Chav xD Is a Chav an Emo? xD We had alot of Emo's at our school and probably still do so is that also a Chav :p

I do like the American accent, rather hot me thinks, but I also have a thing for British and New Zealand accents :cln: Alot of people seem to think Australian accents are the hottest accents, but I cant judge because its the accent i must use xD

tranniversary119
30-01-09, 18:29
I love british accents, I wish I could have one :(:p

Lew
30-01-09, 18:32
Everyone is talking about a Chav xD Is a Chav an Emo? xD We had alot of Emo's at our school and probably still do so is that also a Chav :p

I do like the American accent, rather hot me thinks, but I also have a thing for British and New Zealand accents :cln: Alot of people seem to think Australian accents are the hottest accents, but I cant judge because its the accent i must use xD

No their completely the opposite, but somehow still both annoying.

TRhalloween
30-01-09, 18:37
It's weird when people refer to a posh English accent as "British" because they're excluding Scotland and Wales. And hardly anyone in England has a fancy Lara Croft accent.

shanqz
30-01-09, 18:59
According to the test, I have northern accent Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo although I am Indian. (and I been living in the US for only 3 years and in Cleveland :D)

I tend to put on northern accent with Americans and typical "Indian" accent talking with Indian people. i dont know its automatic. sometimes people might think i am trying to tease them or somethin' :(

Melonie Tomb Raider
30-01-09, 19:01
I do looooove an Aussie accent. Probably my favorite to listen to. :D

Legends
30-01-09, 19:03
I love the New York accent.
Oh, yes. New Yorkers are the best! :D The accent I really like is the Californian, it just sounds great. So fresh and 'easy'.

violentblossom
30-01-09, 19:12
It's weird when people refer to a posh English accent as "British" because they're excluding Scotland and Wales. And hardly anyone in England has a fancy Lara Croft accent.

i've got a friend with a fancy British accent.

i know a few northerners and they talk incredibly fast. i have to listen harder to them sometimes.

TRhalloween
30-01-09, 19:27
i've got a friend with a fancy British accent.

i know a few northerners and they talk incredibly fast. i have to listen harder to them sometimes.

You mean an 'English' accent.
I'm from Scotland, which is in Britain and I don't sound like what you'd imagine.

irjudd
30-01-09, 19:29
I'm from Scotland, which is in Britain and I don't sound like what you'd imagine.
You mean like Groundskeeper Willie?

violentblossom
30-01-09, 19:56

apologies. >.<

Mad Tony
30-01-09, 21:34
Not all Northerners speak like that..... Wowww you've got it so wrongg.Obviously. You're not very good at grasping the fact that is was a joke.

Nitro Typhoon
30-01-09, 21:38
The American accent is fine. The only one I don't really like is that 'Hillbilly' one :p

TRhalloween
30-01-09, 21:47
You mean like Groundskeeper Willie?

lol :D

God, he has an awful accent :vlol: