PDA

View Full Version : Uni-Your experiances?

stranger1992
20-01-09, 18:59
:wve:

Though it grimaces me to say I have to start thinking about University now (darn UCAS) but to tell the honest truth; I am not sure if I want to. No-one in my family ever went to Uni...or actually stayed at education past 16 so I have no-one to ask. What was your experiance? Got any advice?
I looked on the sites I was given at college but to me it all seemed to be propaganda.

My aim is to goto Bournemouth Uni and carry on with my 3d animation+moddeling course I'm doing at the moment.

Thanks.

Daniel.

Larapink
20-01-09, 19:09
My experience at uni i'll keep this simple it's going well so far. :)

Make sure you vist Bournemouth Uni to make sure if thats really the place you want to study at, I applied there first before visting there what a mistake because I didn't like the uni's computer labs. Anyway do some research about Animation courses around the UK, before applying via UCAS. Make sure you have a portfolio with all of your art work in.

Voni
20-01-09, 19:38
My advice is to be absolutley sure you want to go, before you do anything. I've found that a lot of schools can pressure their students into going, because it boosts their numbers. That's what they tried to do to me but luckily I rebelled and got a job!

Another Lara
20-01-09, 19:44
Well it's not as if you have to rush! If you're still not sure about whether or not you want to go to uni, then leave it for a while, go out and get a job and experience life for a bit and actually having money; then once you've done that, see if you are happy where you are or if you think you could push yourself further by studying at uni...

I went to uni straight after college (I studied archaeology at UCL) and it was alot of hard work and was 3 years of non stop studying; if you go to uni, you really have to want to do it, and be determined to finish it!

ben_the_joka
20-01-09, 23:44
do it do it do it! Im sitting in my room in halls right now and im loving it!

IceColdLaraCroft
20-01-09, 23:49
College is a very gay time

Lew
20-01-09, 23:56
wtf ^ lol Daniel aren't you in the same year as me? We don't need to start worrying til next year!

Shark_Blade
20-01-09, 23:56
College is a very gay timeGay as in happy, right?

Just go with the flow and you'll manage nicely. :) Keep with your schedule, don't skip class, enjoy your free time with your friends and study smart. Join some clubs/association as well since they'll make you look good in your resume. :)

Ada the Mental
21-01-09, 00:04
My impressions so far...Well, for various reasons, in the departement I am, we've hardly had any classes since before Christmas. That's all I'm saying.

Nefertiti_89
21-01-09, 00:19
I've had a blast at uni.

I've met some really great and interesting people, not to mention I've learnt things I never thought I was capable of learning!

Its far better than school because you are learning what you are interested in, and if you don't want to do math or Shakespeare you dont have to. Also there's no actual requirement to attend classes - if you're not there, nobody cares! Theres also the option to study externally if the classroom environment really isn't your cup of tea, and then all you have to do is show up for an exam at the end of semester.

And then theres the student benefits :D

As for whether you should go or not, it might be worth checking out the university's dropout clause - if theres a consequences free type period, it might be worth going and if you dont like it drop out before that period ends.

Or theres the other option, if you guys have it over there that is, to apply and if you get accepted you can deferr for a year which will give you time to decide and if you do indeed chose to go, your place is there ready and waiting for you.

Have you thought of just going to the university and sitting in on a few lectures?

Immortalis08
21-01-09, 00:46
Uni is a great experience if you are involved in activities and groups that catch your interest. I'd say the workload is your first priority since you will be having a lot more freedom. The key to surviving Uni is time management. You have to know when to do your work and when you have time to relax/have fun. If you can afford it, try dorming in the University as well. That way you get a better perspective of what actually goes on in there and potentially have an easier social life. I regret not dorming this year since I have absolutely no idea what is going on socially.

IceColdLaraCroft
21-01-09, 00:56
Gay as in happy, right?
:)

no gay as in experimenting with homosexuality in the dorm room, showers, locker room, bars, other places.

Troy
21-01-09, 03:34
I'm getting close to going to college too, but I'm from the States. It's a scary thought, though, about thinking about college.

Shark_Blade
21-01-09, 05:31
no gay as in experimenting with homosexuality in the dorm room, showers, locker room, bars, other places.lol. :D

jaywalker
21-01-09, 09:54
Only time i been to Uni was to attend the union (the bar) on campus with my mate who WAS at Uni.. i never even finished A-Levels, left college to work :)

john_york
21-01-09, 10:05
Best 3 years of my life, and really wish they didn't have to have ended :D

In fact, loved it so much, I'm now working at a University. There's just something about the atmosphere of learning/research that I absolutely love.

Lara's Backpack
21-01-09, 11:49
Uni sounded great until I got my acceptance letters and am so confused as to how I got them and not ones I wanted.

****ers.

rowanlim
21-01-09, 14:06
I'm at uni now, I've to say I really enjoy it, although there are times I can get frustrated & stressed out over various reasons :rolleyes:

First, don't pressure yourself to go to uni. What's important is studying what you love. Jessica Stam (yes, the model) said "Love your work & you'll never work a day in your life", which makes sense. I think you know what you want to study/do so plan ahead to achieve that.

Second, uni life is different from school; it's that time of growing out of adolescence & stepping into adulthood; you have to be more responsible...time management is VERY important. Don't aim to just study hard; get involved in student activities...you'll learn a lot & it'll look very attractive on your CV too.

So no worries, go with the flow, remember your goals & keep working to ensure you'll achieve them ;) :tmb:

raiderfun
21-01-09, 14:14
Still one year and half to go to college, the problem is that I don't know what to study exactly, I'm so bewildered, there's nothing and there are a lot of choices at the same time :o

Buffy87
21-01-09, 14:24
Uni has been perhaps 4 of the best , but hardest years of my life. I'm currently in my fourth year of a law degree and writing a 20 thousand word dissertation so I can't deny that university is hard work - and there have been times when I have wondered if I made the right decision but now that I'm at the end of the "academic" side of the law training its definately been worth it.Although I currently have a workload the size of Everest - but if I do become a lawyer that's what my life will be so I had to get used to it. However, I would say that university is not like school in that you can't get away with forgetting to do work or handing in essays late or whatever - the university won't chase it up with you the way a school does so you have to be good at time managing your relevant tasks.I always find it easier to set deadlines for specific sections of my work - for example with my dissertation ( due in 71 days!) I have mini deadlines for the first chapter , second chapter etc.
That said I've loved uni - I have met some wonderful people and am a lot closer to becoming a barrister which is what I've always wanted to do so for me it was a means to an end. And really I didn't have a choice about going or not if I wanted to become a barrister.
My sister just started a Drama and Theatre course this year and she is loving it.
But as has been said before think about whether or not you really want to go - weigh up the positives and negatives. Research the relevant courses well and the relevant universities so that if you do choose to go you can make an informed decision.

stranger1992
21-01-09, 22:55
Wow thanks for that post Buffy87 (and everyone else).

Oh let me say I am sure i want to goto uni. Things are hard at home and I want out. They don't understand about college life (which not to confuse you people is education from 16+) and is hard. I spend all money i have on travel and work just about all shifts god gives me at work. I just want a break from it all and take my passions further.

I was really looking for your own experiances at uni. Thanks for all that told me it helped a lot. :)

@Lew: Yeah I am in lower 6th (year 12) but I am building my portfolio up with as much stuff as i can to show whoever needs to be shown. :)

Like these:

http://www.skribblerz.net/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2009/post-17-1232577710.jpg

http://www.skribblerz.net/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2009/post-17-1232577850.jpg

:)

LaraCablara
22-01-09, 01:10
:wve:

Though it grimaces me to say I have to start thinking about University now (darn UCAS) but to tell the honest truth; I am not sure if I want to. No-one in my family ever went to Uni...or actually stayed at education past 16 so I have no-one to ask. What was your experiance? Got any advice?
I looked on the sites I was given at college but to me it all seemed to be propaganda.

My aim is to goto Bournemouth Uni and carry on with my 3d animation+moddeling course I'm doing at the moment.

Thanks.

Daniel.

People might ask you to beta test things for them there, and if your not feeling up for it anymore, your going to have to tell them :whi:

Anyways, Uni in some ways is actually easier then High School.