PDA

View Full Version : China General Discussion Thread

Nausinous
21-01-09, 16:08
Hi Members,

I told my boyfriend about China censoring the Obama speech...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7841580.stm

China censors Obama speech. Absolutely ridiculous, and I don't even like Obama.

I was then informed that China censors a lot of things to its citizens, the internets limited to like only certain websites, etc. Can anyone expand on this situation? I was totally unaware.

Edit: I'm not just talking about the government censoring the internet, I'm talking about the goverment censoring a lot of the world outside China from its citzens.

rowanlim
21-01-09, 16:19
I don't know much, it's true, they cut off sites that promote democracy etc.

There was even a Skype fiasco (http://www.france24.com/en/20081003-skype-spy-users-china-internet-tom) about it last yr.

irjudd
21-01-09, 16:21
I can't imagine being denied access to websites I want to go to. The idea itself seems foreign.

Sir Croft
21-01-09, 16:27
Tipical. I don't know if there are chinese members here, and I don't mean to offend, but I'm glad I don't live in China.

Mad Tony
21-01-09, 16:32
I think it's a big shame that the Chinese government feel the need to heavily censor the internet and restrict freedoms. It would be nice to see China turn into democracy, but I doubt that'll happen for a long while.

Nausinous
21-01-09, 16:33
I'm not just talking about the government censoring the internet, I'm talking about the goverment censoring a lot of the world outside China from its citzens :wve:

Edit: I here a lot of the military from around the world aren't aware either of what the Chineses actually have.

IceColdLaraCroft
21-01-09, 17:47
Democracy isn't right for every country. Exactly how do you give 1.3billion people an individual vote? How do you guard against corruption and fixed results?China was a dynastic system for over 2000 years and then became a Communist country. IF democracy happens, it definately wouldn't be over night.

China censors a lot of information coming INTO China because Tiananmen Square became an outcry for democracy (when exactly WHAT democracy meant or how it would happen was very vague). Information is "filtered" with the idea that it protects the stability of the country and prevents or does not encourage rebellion.

Chinese are far more suppressed by socio-cultural aspects (issues of class/rich& poor/ the have & have nots) rather than issues of Communism vs. democracy.

A lot of the issue is that the state want's to be the source of information for it's people. It doesn't like that you can learn on your own or know more than those that are in power.

A friend of mine was in China over the summer (during the Olympics) and said that search engines and such were filtered but stuff like myspace/facebook weren't.

If you take it from the Chinese perspective what Obama said might feel threatening to the Chinese from America. I remember an earlier report from the BBC when Obama won the election that a reporter in China said they weren't too happy because there is a level of racism amongst the Chinese. That they would prefer another caucasian, but that was one report out of many.

toxicraider
21-01-09, 17:48
I heard something about microsoft helping to censor the internet and software. They even have internet police to delete stuff :eek:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/business-and-human-rights/internet-censorship/page.do?id=1101572

Forwen
21-01-09, 18:05
That's one battle the Chinese authorities aren't going to win, only delay their own defeat. Internet is not something that can be controlled fully, and considering we're talking about a country whose sheer number of Internet users has overtaken America's and is still growing the very idea becomes abstract.

EDIT: On second thought though, considering how high approvement ratings for the Chinese government are I don't think the word "battle" is a proper one here. A full Internet control is still theoretically a no no though.

Nausinous
21-01-09, 19:23
Democracy isn't right for every country. Exactly how do you give 1.3billion people an individual vote? How do you guard against corruption and fixed results?China was a dynastic system for over 2000 years and then became a Communist country. IF democracy happens, it definately wouldn't be over night.

China censors a lot of information coming INTO China because Tiananmen Square became an outcry for democracy (when exactly WHAT democracy meant or how it would happen was very vague). Information is "filtered" with the idea that it protects the stability of the country and prevents or does not encourage rebellion.

Chinese are far more suppressed by socio-cultural aspects (issues of class/rich& poor/ the have & have nots) rather than issues of Communism vs. democracy.

A lot of the issue is that the state want's to be the source of information for it's people. It doesn't like that you can learn on your own or know more than those that are in power.

A friend of mine was in China over the summer (during the Olympics) and said that search engines and such were filtered but stuff like myspace/facebook weren't.

If you take it from the Chinese perspective what Obama said might feel threatening to the Chinese from America. I remember an earlier report from the BBC when Obama won the election that a reporter in China said they weren't too happy because there is a level of racism amongst the Chinese. That they would prefer another caucasian, but that was one report out of many.

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation, I might take this to Google and see what else I can find :)

irjudd
21-01-09, 19:30
I heard something about microsoft helping to censor the internet and software. They even have internet police to delete stuff :eek:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/business-and-human-rights/internet-censorship/page.do?id=1101572
So did Google, Yahoo, Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks, Websense and Sun Microsystems.

IceColdLaraCroft
21-01-09, 19:39
Thanks for shedding some light on the situation, I might take this to Google and see what else I can find :)
You're welcome :)

So did Google, Yahoo, Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks, Websense and Sun Microsystems.

Mostly because it was better to cooperate with the Chinese government and have a place in the market rather than be completely shut out.