PDA

View Full Version : Help with 17th Century ships...

Nausinous
21-01-09, 20:13
I know this a really odd request but I don't know who else to really ask for information such as this. I'm trying to find on the internet a detailed website or even book on how 17 century ships were built. I have a pet project and I'm building a 3D model of a ship (Using a 3D computer program), I need to know the layout of one the smaller type of vessels (Not bothered which size to be honest, just need an expalination on any type really) but I also need to understand what purpose different bits of the ship serve and what they look like. If you could offer any help at all, I would be deeply greatful! :wve:

Agent 47
21-01-09, 22:25
you could try www.greatgridlock.net it has a section about ships of that era.

you could also try this (type in your search engine) "17th century ship blueprints"
that might get you what you need :D

ah! ships of that century were damn nice imo, i love old ships :jmp:

Trigger_happy
21-01-09, 22:52
Damn! Thinking about it, I'm sure I had a book that showed you the cut out layers of a ship, and how they were all put together and all. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Tombreaper
22-01-09, 00:47
http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/index.html

http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/batavia_virtueel.html

A useful link to the Batavia werf, where they use to build lifesized, true to the original, 17th & 18th Century VOC ships.

Here you can find lots of information.

A replica of the Dutch VOC ship Batavia:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/Ryott/Batavia.jpg

Nausinous
22-01-09, 10:21
you could try www.greatgridlock.net it has a section about ships of that era.

you could also try this (type in your search engine) "17th century ship blueprints"
that might get you what you need :D

ah! ships of that century were damn nice imo, i love old ships :jmp:

Thanks for the link, it had a few diagrams I could use but wasn't quite what I needed.

I tried typing what you suggested into Google but again didn't really find what I needed. I'll keeping looking myself I'm just hoping someone on the forum will have more look than I am.

Damn! Thinking about it, I'm sure I had a book that showed you the cut out layers of a ship, and how they were all put together and all. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I'd be so grateful if you could find it! :hug:

http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/index.html

http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/batavia_virtueel.html

A useful link to the Batavia werf, where they use to build lifesized, true to the original, 17th & 18th Century VOC ships.

Here you can find lots of information.

A replica of the Dutch VOC ship Batavia:

Thank you for the link, again there isn't the exact kind of information I need. I'm like looking for a website or book with diagrams of each individual piece and decks of the ship, with an explanition of their purpose. If I've missed any of this information in the links you gave then let me know, I probably skimmed past it.

Agent 47
22-01-09, 14:28
Thanks for the link, it had a few diagrams I could use but wasn't quite what I needed.

I tried typing what you suggested into Google but again didn't really find what I needed. I'll keeping looking myself I'm just hoping someone on the forum will have more look than I am.

I'd be so grateful if you could find it! :hug:

Thank you for the link, again there isn't the exact kind of information I need. I'm like looking for a website or book with diagrams of each individual piece and decks of the ship, with an explanition of their purpose. If I've missed any of this information in the links you gave then let me know, I probably skimmed past it.

ah i get what you're after now :D

ok, it's a century too late (18th) but you could try the official website for HMS Victory. i noticed it has deck by deck info, giving detailed info about each decks purpose. the principle is the same of any ship of those centuries. i hope that info is somewhat useful :D

Nausinous
22-01-09, 14:35
ah i get what you're after now :D

ok, it's a century too late (18th) but you could try the official website for HMS Victory. i noticed it has deck by deck info, giving detailed info about each decks purpose. the principle is the same of any ship of those centuries. i hope that info is somewhat useful :D

That is so close to what I need I just wish there were more pictures so I could see all the different sides of the decks. Thank you so much for your efforts though, I'm getting a lot closer to building my 3D model! :hug:

Edit: I suppose what I'm really looking for is a series of really in depth pictures of the decks of ships with detailed annontation on the purpose of each object on the decks or even an exploded ship would be helpful :p

Agent 47
22-01-09, 14:46
That is so close to what I need I just wish there were more pictures so I could see all the different sides of the decks. Thank you so much for your efforts though, I'm getting a lot closer to building my 3D model! :hug:

no problem, good luck with the model :D any chance you could do a follow-up thread and post screen shots of the finished project? i know i'd be interested in seeing it :jmp:

i only thought of Victory today :vlol: knowing how old it is and having it's own website, i felt it wouldn't hurt to check out for you. :D

Nausinous
22-01-09, 15:00
no problem, good luck with the model :D any chance you could do a follow-up thread and post screen shots of the finished project? i know i'd be interested in seeing it :jmp:

i only thought of Victory today :vlol: knowing how old it is and having it's own website, i felt it wouldn't hurt to check out for you. :D

Thank you. I'll be posting screenshots of each different piece of the ship I build.

Agent 47
22-01-09, 15:05
I'll be posting screenshots of each different piece of the ship I build.

excellent, i look forward to it :D i sincerely do admire the time and efforts that go into 3d modelling.