PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying fish.

~*~Chloe~*~
22-01-09, 11:59
I want some tropical fish in a tank. But have no idea which to buy, what water they have, if they will fight etc. I want some clownfish but they require at least 90L. Is it ok to keep them in something smaller?

john_york
22-01-09, 12:12
I want some tropical fish in a tank. But have no idea which to buy, what water they have, if they will fight etc. I want some clownfish but they require at least 90L. Is it ok to keep them in something smaller?

Clown fish are marine fish, and you will need a marine tank set-up to keep them.

The easiest tropical fish to keep are the most common - guppies (great because they'll breed very easily), neon tetras, small gouramis, tiger barbs. Avoid cichlids, which can be a bit more difficult to look after and aggressive. Best to go into an aquarium shop and talk to the staff there about setting up a tropical community tank.

~*~Chloe~*~
22-01-09, 12:49
Thank you!!!! What type of water do those fish have?

john_york
22-01-09, 12:54
Thank you!!!! What type of water do those fish have?

Just bog standard freshwater out of a tap (but you will need dechlorinator - again, aquarium shop staff should be able to tell you all this) that will need to be heated using an in-tank heater. You'll need a filter and possibly an air pump (depending on your filter) too.

Thorir
22-01-09, 13:51
Yeah, just get a freshwater tank. Generally the bigger it is, the easier it is to maintain. A small one will need to be cleaned more often!

I recommend Siamese fighting fish!

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A4971/49716/300_49716.jpg

They are incredibly beautiful and elegant. They can have pretty much any colours. They go well with most other fish and are very easy to keep. You can only keep ONE male, though. They have their name for a good reason. The males fight. :)

Benguitar
22-01-09, 14:09
One of my favorite types of freshwater fish are Neon Tetras. They are small aren't aggressive and live in schools so you would have to purchase around 6+ of them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Neonka_obecna_paracheirodon_innesi.jpg

Bustus
22-01-09, 14:12
I recommend Siamese fighting fish!

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A4971/49716/300_49716.jpg

Seconded! I had one of those when I had an aquarium. He'd often fight with his own mirror image. :D

Trigger_happy
22-01-09, 14:16
Yeap, hardy blighters like tetras and Harlequins are a good choice. I wouldn't go with a Siamese fighting fish, as they tend to get picked on a die due to their long tails, which imped their movement.

I would also get some Corydoros of some kind- they are bottom feeders and so add another "layer" of fish to your tank.

I would definitely get some books out of the library and just check you've got everything. Oh, and remember, unless you are buying a mature tank, you need to leave it for a couple of weeks so that the vital fungi can build up in the filters etc, otherwise all the fish you add will die.