PDA

View Full Version : Oscar 2009 nominees

Nemo_91
22-01-09, 14:06
Here are the nominees:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Ceán Chaffin, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall
Frost/Nixon: Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Eric Fellner
Milk: Bruce Cohen, Dan Jinks
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire: Christian Colson

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Richard Jenkins for The Visitor
Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn for Milk
Brad Pitt for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie for Changeling
Melissa Leo for Frozen River
Meryl Streep for Doubt
Kate Winslet for The Reader

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Josh Brolin for Milk
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt
Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon for Revolutionary Road

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams for Doubt
Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis for Doubt
Taraji P. Henson for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler

Best Achievement in Directing
Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry for The Reader
David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard for Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant for Milk

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Frozen River: Courtney Hunt
Happy-Go-Lucky: Mike Leigh
In Bruges: Martin McDonagh
Milk: Dustin Lance Black
WALL·E: Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Jim Reardon

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Eric Roth, Robin Swicord
Doubt: John Patrick Shanley
Frost/Nixon: Peter Morgan
The Reader: David Hare
Slumdog Millionaire: Simon Beaufoy

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Changeling: Tom Stern
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Claudio Miranda
The Dark Knight: Wally Pfister
The Reader: Roger Deakins, Chris Menges
Slumdog Millionaire: Anthony Dod Mantle

Best Achievement in Editing
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter
The Dark Knight: Lee Smith
Frost/Nixon: Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill
Milk: Elliot Graham
Slumdog Millionaire: Chris Dickens

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Changeling: James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo
The Dark Knight: Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando
The Duchess: Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway
Revolutionary Road: Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Australia: Catherine Martin
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Jacqueline West
The Duchess: Michael O'Connor
Milk: Danny Glicker
Revolutionary Road: Albert Wolsky

Best Achievement in Makeup
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Greg Cannom
The Dark Knight: John Caglione Jr., Conor O'Sullivan
Hellboy II: The Golden Army: Mike Elizalde, Thomas Floutz

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Alexandre Desplat
Defiance: James Newton Howard
Milk: Danny Elfman
Slumdog Millionaire: A.R. Rahman
WALL·E: Thomas Newman

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Slumdog Millionaire: A.R. Rahman, Gulzar("Jai Ho")
Slumdog Millionaire: A.R. Rahman, M.I.A("O Saya")
WALL·E: Peter Gabriel, Thomas Newman("Down to Earth")

Best Achievement in Sound
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, Mark Weingarten
The Dark Knight: Ed Novick, Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo
Slumdog Millionaire: Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty
WALL·E: Tom Myers, Michael Semanick, Ben Burtt
Wanted: Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño, Petr Forejt

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
The Dark Knight: Richard King
Iron Man: Frank E. Eulner, Christopher Boyes
Slumdog Millionaire: Tom Sayers
WALL·E: Ben Burtt, Matthew Wood
Wanted: Wylie Stateman

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron
The Dark Knight: Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Timothy Webber, Paul J. Franklin
Iron Man: John Nelson, Ben Snow, Daniel Sudick, Shane Mahan

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
WALL·E

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (Germany)
Entre les murs (France)
Revanche (Austria)
Okuribito (Japan)
Vals Im Bashir (Israel)

Best Documentary, Features
The Betrayal - Nerakhoon
Encounters at the End of the World
The Garden
Man on Wire
Trouble the Water

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
The Conscience of Nhem En
The Final Inch
Smile Pinki
The Witness from the Balcony of Room 306

Best Short Film, Animated
Ubornaya istoriya - lyubovnaya istoriya: Konstantin Bronzit
La Maison en Petits Cubes: Kunio Kato
Oktapodi: Julien Bocabeille, François-Xavier Chanioux, Olivier Delabarre, Thierry Marchand, Quentin Marmier, Emud Mokhberi
Presto: Doug Sweetland
This Way Up: Alan Smith, Adam Foulkes

Best Short Film, Live Action
NAuf der Strecke (2007)
Manon on the Asphalt
New Boy (2007)
The Pig
Spielzeugland (2007)

Winners to be announced on Sunday, February 22nd. :)

Encore
22-01-09, 14:15
8 nominations for The Dark Knight! That's awesome for a super hero movie! :tmb: It's a shame its gorgeous soundtrack wasn't selected though. :(

Here's hoping Rourke wins again too. :mis:

VonCroy360
22-01-09, 14:17
And they are really surprising! The Reader? There was half a dozen more acclaimed and previously awarded films this year, led by The Dark Knight offcourse, which was predicted to get noms in BP and directing.

I guess I'm still glad my favourite this year, Slumdog Millionaire, got 10 of them. Hoping Wall-E grabs that original screenplay as well. :tmb:

]{eith
22-01-09, 14:20
After seeing what Kate Winslet was like on stage after winning at the Golden Globes, I can only imagine what would happen if she won her oscar. She'd probably have a heart attack.

I hope Angelina Jolie gets another Oscar, she deserved it for Changeling.

Mr.Burns
22-01-09, 14:29
A good list this year though I've been saying for a long time now that Hollywood needs to take the stick out of their collective asses when it comes to the Best Picture category. Go figure the Dark Knight got mostly technical nods. :rolleyes:

VonCroy360
22-01-09, 14:37
^ And it's not like TDK was just a "good action film", it's one of the two most criticaly acclaimed films of the year, plus it got nominations from the directors', producers' and screenwirters' guilds.
TDK not getting the big ones wouldn't be such a disappointment imo, if it wasn't dumped for The Reader. Another holocaust (yes, we need films like that, but not if they're all pretty much the same) film and a mediocre one at that.

EDIT: I should probably note that I haven't seen The Reader yet and I'm very sorry I haven't; I'm just speaking based on other people's opinions (which are usually very close to mine).

violentblossom
22-01-09, 14:37
go Heath, though!

God knows he deserves it...

TombRaiderLover
22-01-09, 14:39
No Best Film/Best Soundtrack for The Dark Knight? Whaaaa?!

Still, at least it got eight nominations. :D

Mr.Burns
22-01-09, 14:44
^ And it's not like TDK was just a "good action film", it's one of the two most criticaly acclaimed films of the year, plus it got nominations from the directors', producers' and screenwirters' guilds.
TDK not getting the big ones wouldn't be such a disappointment imo, if it wasn't dumped for The Reader. Another holocaust (yes, we need films like that, but not if they're all pretty much the same) film and a mediocre one at that.

EDIT: I should probably note that I haven't seen The Reader yet and I'm very sorry I haven't; I'm just speaking based on other people's opinions (which are usually very close to mine).

*nods* The fact that LOTR was considered for Best Picture is amazing. That ROTK actually won is shocking since Hollywood has always been very conservative regarding what can be nominated for a Best Picture award. Exceptions being Ben Hur, Titanic, etc. Traditionally the Best Picture category is reserved for Dramatic films only. Which is amusing since despite TDK being an action/comic book film, is extremely dark and dramatic. Still, at least Heath's been nominated, though there's nothing surprising about that.

Jack Croft
22-01-09, 14:45
The Dark Knight for Best Film if only! :mad:

krycekuva
22-01-09, 14:51
TROTK being nominated for best film was a tragic thing,... i wonder whats wrong with me, i just cant stand the second of the third of LoTR, only the first one is IMO, worth of a price...

i hope TDK gets most oscars, this way we will get for sure some other batman films.. and luckily in the dark dramatic line and not in the schumacher crap concept...

Mr.Burns
22-01-09, 14:53
Given the fact that LOTR was shot back to back, it would be a bit unfair to have it win all three, hence the win for ROTK was really a nod to all three films. The same goes for Peter Jackson being nominated and only won for ROTK.

Nannonxyay
22-01-09, 15:00
Benjamin Button FTW. :tmb:

krycekuva
22-01-09, 15:17
Given the fact that LOTR was shot back to back, it would be a bit unfair to have it win all three, hence the win for ROTK was really a nod to all three films. The same goes for Peter Jackson being nominated and only won for ROTK.

exactly,.. i would have given the oscars to FoTR, and not even nominate tTT, and RoTK... becuase imo, they dont deserve it,...

VonCroy360
22-01-09, 15:32
I'm reading a certain awards blog and there's a theory that the british members might be the thing that pushed The Reader in the big categories. Same thing is believed to have happened with Atonement last year, it was far from being a favourite, but the Brits, which aren't present in the guilds, are what gave it the nomination.
And it's known that a lot of older and more conservative (without intention to insult anyone) members of the academy wouldn't give their vote to TDK, but I guess it was believed that there were a lot of members who considered it the best this year and who could push it with #1 votes on their nomination ballots. Maybe they decided for other films, leaving TDK #3 or 4, which wasn't enough.

]{eith
22-01-09, 16:29
Here's a little nugget of useless information. Chris Corbould was the man who did the Special Effects for both Tomb Raider films. And here is nominated for an oscar.

I know him through my father, who is also in Special Effects.

Jo269976
22-01-09, 16:38
An excellent credit to Heath Ledger to be nominated exactly one year after he passed on. He truly deserves the award, even if he didn't get it, it matters not. He made one of the most iconic and chilling screen presences of all time.

ShadyCroft
22-01-09, 16:40
Hmmm, interesting list. Its unfortunate I haven't seen any of them (well, except Tropic thunder). I should catch up on movies before the Oscars kick in.

I did hear TDK was amazing, some controversy around Milk, AJ's performance in Changeling (actually, I was kind of intrigued by the trailer).

george_croft
22-01-09, 16:49
Woo! Angelina nominated for best actress in leading role, Changeling twice, and even Wanted got two nomination! :tmb:

Fallen.Angel
23-01-09, 00:51
Awesome, I hope Angie wins best performance by an actress :cln: But Kate Winslet is definitely my second choice. Ledger will win best supporting role, I can almost guarantee you it. Ah, needless to say, I can't wait for the Oscars.

EmeraldFields
23-01-09, 00:54
Benjamin Button FTW. :tmb:

and Doubt as well!:D

IceColdLaraCroft
23-01-09, 02:22
Downy Jr. Got a nomination for Tropic Thunder?!

Seriously the Oscars have gone down hill.

VonCroy360
23-01-09, 14:14
http://i39.************/b49rpj.jpg :pi::p

Anyway, anyone care to make some predictions or list their favourites? :)

Picture
Slumdog MIllionaire FTW. I thought it was absolutely amazing. Looking realistically, Benjamin Button is pretty close to getting it, if not even closer than SM. Milk is not far behind imo, either.

Director
I'd like Van Sant to win this. Not because of Milk, but because of his earlier films, which I think were pretty underrated. It will probably be Boyle or Fincher.

Original Screenplay
Wall-E was amazing imo. Probably a win for Milk.

Adapted Screenplay
Slumdog for me. It has a chance, with Button being the biggest competition.

Leading Male
Sean Penn FTW! And I think he'll get it.

Leading Female
I'll root for Hathaway because I like her, even though I haven't seen the film. Winslet probably has the biggest chance in this category, followed by Hathaway and Streep.

Supporting Male
Ledger and he's going to get it.

Supporting Female
I loved Penelope Cruz in this film. She's probably the biggest favourite, now that there's no Winslet in the way (like it was in the globes).

Animated
Wall-E, and this is probably the only category it's going to win. :(

Foreign
I think Waltz with Bashir is the big favourite here, but it definitely is different, which really isn's something that goes well in this category. Remember Pan's Labyrinth and Amelie? Big favourites and neither won.

Lmao, I obsessing over these awards way too much. :vlol:

Encore
23-01-09, 14:20
http://i39.************/b49rpj.jpg :pi::p

:vlol: :vlol:

But... "Christmas time"??? :confused:

Leading Male
Sean Penn FTW! And I think he'll get it.

Oh no he won't. :ohn: Hollywood lobbies have been screwing over Mickey Rourke's career for far too long, it's time to take it back.

rowanlim
23-01-09, 14:25
Wow I like the list of nominees, Heath Ledger for the win! :tmb:

VonCroy360
23-01-09, 14:39
But... "Christmas time"??? :confused:

Well it seems like everyone at the academy, except for the screenwriters (:tmb:), completely ignores everything that hit the theatres before November. Maybe it's just too hard to watch a movie for the second time?
This time it's the case with TDK and Wall-E, but it happens every year (probably the reason most films going for the Oscars are released in this period).

If you want to see the whole funny thing, it's here (http://filmexperience.blogspot.com/2009/01/oscar-nomination-talking-points-bakers.html).

Oh no he won't. :ohn: Hollywood lobbies have been screwing over Mickey Rourke's career for far too long, it's time to take it back.

Rourke should be happy with his globe, Penn deserved this. :ton:
But yeah, I won't be disappointed if Rourke wins. :)

Encore
23-01-09, 14:42
Well it seems like everyone at the academy, except for the screenwriters (:tmb:), completely ignores everything that hit the theatres before November. Maybe it's just too hard to watch a movie for the second time?
This time it's the case with TDK and Wall-E, but it happens every year (probably the reason most films going for the Oscars are released in this period).

Ahh I understand, it's totally true :vlol: It's the season of the "oscar movies". You can always tell there are some movies made with the award season in mind, and no genuine artistic concern in themselves. Sometimes even rushed for the Christmas season so that it meets the "deadline". I got a feeling that Angelina Jolie's role (no matter how good in itself) was written solely for the award season...

Jedd Fletcher
19-02-09, 13:27
Here's my review of Slumdog Millionaire, which I immensely enjoyed.

Movie Review 15/2/09

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Starring: Dev Patel, Frieda Pinto, Anil Kapoor
Directed by: Danny Boyle and Loveleen Tandan
Distributed by: Fox Searchlight Pictures and Pathé

How is it that a small, unassuming British film set in India with a cast where the only stars are unfamiliar to Western audiences and with no big studio backing is in the running for 10 Academy Awards, film’s highest accolades, including Best Picture?

A. The acting talent is unusually good
B. The creative and technical teams are geniuses
C. The Academy was feeling kinder than usual this year
D. It is written.

I’ll leave the answer to that question for the end of this review, you can take as long as you like, but you’ll have to decide on a final answer to lock in.

It is not everyday that a film with all the qualities listed above gets nominate for this many Oscars, let alone Best Picture. The film faces heady competition in the shape of films headlined by established Hollywood stars such as Brad Pitt and Mickey Rourke and British films do not usually receive consideration for the Best Picture. Therefore, there is something special about this gem of a film.

Jamal Malik (Patel) is a call center “chai-wallah”, or tea boy, who participates as a contestant in the game show Kaun Banega Crorepati, the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? in order to find his lost childhood sweetheart Latika (Pinto). Inexplicably answering the questions posed to him correctly, the show’s smarmy host Prem Kumar (Bollywood star Kapoor) has him arrested on suspicion of cheating. Tortured and then interrogated by the Police Inspector (Irfan Khan) and his dim lackey Constable Srivinas (Saurabh Shukla), Jamal tells the story of incidences in his life that taught him the answer to each question.

The film comprises a series of flashbacks depicting how a young Jamal (Ayush Mahesh Khedekar) and his conniving and largely disloyal older brother Salim (Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail) eke out a living in the slums of Mumbai. They operate an outhouse latrine from which Jamal, desperate for the autograph of his hero Amitabh Bachchan, has to escape when his brother locks him in. One stormy evening, Jamal spots a girl standing in the rain and his older brother reluctantly lets her into their makeshift shelter, thus helping Jamal meet the love of his life Latika (Rubina Ali).

Their adventures take a less innocent turn when the three children are taken in by Maman (Ankur Vikal), the treacherous leader of a “begging syndicate” which uses children to bring in the money, mutilating them so they can bring in more. Discovering the ugly truth, Salim mounts a daring escape for the three children. Salim and Jamal manage to get onto a train, but Latika is left behind, spurring a lifelong desire in Jamal to find her.

Spanning the following years, the two brothers live atop and in-between rickety train cars, stealing food from the galley and hawking goods to travellers. They “graduate” to stealing tourists’ shoes and masquerading as tour guides at the Taj Mahal. In one particularly humourous sequence, Jamal describes the world heritage site as a “five star hotel” built by Emperor Shah Jahan for Queen Mumtaz Mahal and says the Queen died in a “traffic accident”.

After some years, Jamal ( Tannay Chheda) finally convinces Salim (Ashutosh Lobo Gajiwala) to go with him back to Mumbai to find Latika (Tanvi Ganesh Lokar). They have a frightening encounter with Maman and experience the lethal power of firearms, which eventually helps Jamal answer a question regarding the inventor of the revolver. Reunited, the trio take up residence in an abandoned hotel. However, Salim kicks Jamal out in order to claim Latika as his own and ends up getting involved with mobster Javed (Mahesh Manjrekar), eventually becoming one of his high-ranking lieutenants.

Now their grown incarnations, the brothers have a bittersweet reunion and Salim (Madhhur Mittal) eventually facilitates the escape of Latika, sold as a wife to Javed. Jamal returns to the studio to answer the last question. A heart-stopping sequence has Jamal use his “phone-a-friend” option and has Latika rushing to the ringing cell phone given to her by Salim.

The film has so many good points it would be impossible to list them all in one review. While it is far from perfect, Slumdog Millionaire is emotionally affecting on so many levels; I have almost never found myself so drawn into the world of a film, and an exceptionally well-crafted world at that. Part of the reason is that I was a contestant on the Singaporean version of the gameshow as a nine-year-old. I took home S$1000 (which to a nine-year old was a very handsome, if not drop-dead gorgeous, sum), if you really must know, but that’s besides the point.

The film is based on the award-winning novel Q and A by Indian diplomat and novelist Vikas Swarup. The story takes all the classic elements movie audiences have grown to know and, in some cases, love, such as the victory of the underdog, the rise from rags to riches, the long-lost childhood sweetheart and sibling rivalry and tension. However, director Danny Boyle of such revolutionary British films as Trainspotting (1996), 28 Days Later (2002) and Sunshine (2007) and ever the visionary, turns these conventions on their heads. He is also helped by the cultural aptitude of co-director Loveleen Tandan who makes obscure elements of Indian culture and history accessible to western audiences. The very intelligent thing that the filmmakers do is to take a typical Bollywood formula and trim off the excess for western audiences. For example, while characters do not break into spontaneous song and dance amid intense scenes, there is still a big ole-fashioned dance sequence during the credits.

Ultimately, the story is very character-driven so the quality of the acting is crucial to the success of the film. Thankfully, nearly all the actors flesh out their characters with emotion and believability, not once are there exagerrated gestures or forced lines noticeable onscreen. I realized that the personality of each of the characters is conveyed in just the faces of the actors alone: Dev Patel’s constantly clueless look belying someone who happens to know all the answers, Anil Kapoor easily communicating the slyness and charm of Prem Kumar, Frieda Pinto’s constantly worried expression portraying Latika as a hapless damsel-in-distress and Ankur Vikal’s evil smile as Maman just…creepy.

Special credit has to be given to the child actors who, despite being completely untrained and literally plucked off the streets and out of the real slums by Loveleen Tandan (who was also the casting director), display natural skill far beyond their years. There is also a remarkable consistency in the characterization of Jamal, Salim and Latika, even though each character is portrayed by three different actors.

However, it is the only star Anil Kapoor who ultimately steals the show with his nuanced portrayal of gameshow host Prem Kumar. He is obviously not rooting for Jamal, no matter how likeable the seemingly clueless “chai-wallah” appears. This rift between the slimy host and the street-smart contestant eventually develops into a veritable game of wits, this conveyed during some of the very best moments of the film. Kapoor wisely avoids overplaying the stereotype even though his Prem is a stock character. Despite the controlled environment of the Millionaire studio, Kapoor plays Prem with such dangerous unpredictability you never know how he might strike at the “slumdog” contestant next.

The atmosphere of the film is extremely magnetic, the smoky, over-populated Mumbai slums in stark contrast to the slick Millionaire studio and the hectic, modern atmosphere of the call center. The film has been blamed for exoticising or glamourising or even commercialising life in the slums, but I whole-heartedly disagree. I think that the filmmakers have strived to bring out all the different facets of life in India and while I’ve never been there myself, have to say that I was convinced that the film’s portrayal was fairly close to the real India. The slums look repulsive yet strangely beautiful and the cinematography alone makes one unable to help feeling a tinge of guilt looking at the ghastly living conditions, especially considering the relatively priveleged Singaporean lifestyle. Director of Photography Anthony Dod Mantle certainly deserves his Academy Award nomination for the many artistically-framed yet unpretentious scenes, as well as kinetic shaky-camera moments which he wisely does not overuse.

Having a television gameshow as the main plot point, the film brilliantly splices the format TV audiences would see (with closeups of the host and cotestant and the questions at the bottom of the screen) with behind-the-scenes footage of the inner workings of the set, including scenes of the producers in the control room. One particularly ingenious sequence has the movie camera pan directly behind the TV camera on set, producing a tense and eerily hynotising effect.

The air of the film is helped by the score by renowned Indian composer A.R. Rahman, also nominated for an Oscar. The kinetic, thumping music propels the film during its most intense moments. Of course, the memorable music of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? composed by by Keith and Matthew Strachan provide the tension during the studio scenes as well.

However, I feel the biggest contributor to Slumdog Millionaire’s success is the writing of Simon Beaufoy, famous for penning The Full Monty (1997). The scribe manages to seamlessly weave (pun not intended) the separate narratives from Jamal’s life into one cohesive story. All the acting and technical flair of the cast and crew would come to nought had it not been for Beaufoy’s remarkable interpretation of the original novel. Having a specific story behind the answer for the seemingly unrelated quiz questions is an ingenious storytelling device and one that the film rides on for its entire length.

So, back to the question I asked at the start of this review. I feel the answer should be the non-existent “all of the above”, but should I have to choose strictly I would say D. It is Written…very well. The resounding applause in the packed movie theatre I saw the film in is testament to that.

4.5/5 STARS

Jedd Jong Yue

scion05
19-02-09, 14:48
They'd better give Win**** an award this time :D

Endow
19-02-09, 15:02
No Van Damme, no way!

violentblossom
19-02-09, 15:08
I'll absolutely DIE if Heath doesn't get it, but we all know he will.

That's the only award i really give a crap about.

Oh, and Brad can win Best Actor, and I'd like Anne Hathaway to get Best Actress.

_Tomb_Raider
19-02-09, 15:47
hmmm I watch almost all the film from the list....BUT I must say that I did like "milioner" move...but it's just NOT my tipe of movie....I really don't now on what soode I vote think year....and The Case of BB was kind of too boring and too long for me....but Batmen code von but...still...i think htta film wode never be so fame is Legher did't die....Milk did't wach so...

Fallen.Angel
19-02-09, 15:48
I'm definitely rooting for Angie and Kate, either or works for me.

I predict Wall-E winning for best animated film of course. Though I'd prefer Kung Fu Panda.

_Tomb_Raider
22-02-09, 12:08
so, who is watching?

Jo269976
22-02-09, 12:13
so, who is watching?

It's on later on today, is it not?

I'll have to wait for the highlight show tomorrow :(

adventurerLara
22-02-09, 12:13
I'd really like Angelina to win best actress even though she probably won't,she was amazing in Changeling:D

Sadly I can't access any channels that are showing it :(since i'm not in the US. Does anyone know where I could watch it online after the show.

VonCroy360
22-02-09, 12:43
I'm definitely staying up to watch it. I'm kind of sad it's today really, since I quite love those few months of predicting, blindly guessing, following all of the guild awards and *****ing about the nomination snubs. :)

If anyone's interesting in how the show will look like, there were a few leaks (http://cinemascopian.com/2009/02/20/cinemascope-exclusive-the-oscars-awards-line-up/). They seem to be taking a lot of risks with this year show, so I guess it'll end up being a really great one or a complete embarassement.

Marianna12
22-02-09, 15:00
I hope Angelina and Brad will win!!!!!

And I'm really sad I won't watch it!
Here in Greece we can't watch anything!!!!!!!!!

Encore
22-02-09, 15:13
I don't think I have the patience to stay up all night, specially considering I haven't seen ANY of the big nominees... :p

On a sidenote, it would be cool if The Dark Knight won all the awards it's been nominated for! That way, it would be a sweet revenge: they didn't select it for "best picture" but it still won the most awards. haha

_Tomb_Raider
22-02-09, 17:41
Well I don't now for you but I had just woke up, and I am ready....I need to go sleep since here in Croatia it will start at 02:00 am....so.....

Larapink
22-02-09, 18:06
I'm happy about how many awards the Millionaire will win/won. :D

Has the Oscars already finished?:confused:

_Tomb_Raider
22-02-09, 19:57
I'm happy about how many awards the Millionaire will win/won. :D

Has the Oscars already finished?:confused:

it hasn't even started....:D

Larapink
22-02-09, 20:20
it hasn't even started....:D
I thought it did...:vlol:

Silly me. :o

Just imagine if I was on the guest list at the Oscars I would be already there in my best dress, wondering where everyone was? :vlol:

Jo269976
22-02-09, 20:34

Just imagine if I was on the guest list at the Oscars I would be already there in my best dress, wondering where everyone was? :vlol:

You'd get the best seat though :p

Sucks it isn't on a free channel in the UK :pi:

_Tomb_Raider
22-02-09, 21:22

:vlol:!!!!

TR93
22-02-09, 21:36
I knew Slum Dog Millionaire would be nominated for quite alot...
I really want to see it...
I like Danny Boyle...one of my fave directors:)...

gtkilla
22-02-09, 21:54
The only movies I've seen that got nominated are TDK and Slumdog (which incidentally I just finished watching a few hours ago). Both deserve those nominations, imo. :tmb: And I wish I'd seen Changeling, but I didn't get the chance. I hope Angie wins it regardless, though. :D

edit: nvm...I just remembered I saw a few more as well. :p

Dingaling
23-02-09, 01:04
Jack Black when asked by Jennifer Aniston if he has some sort of animated super career plan: "Yeah, I do one Dreamworks film a year, take all their money and bet it on Pixar at the Oscars."

I gutted myself when he said that!

Encore
23-02-09, 01:19
Jack Black when asked by Jennifer Aniston if he has some sort of animated super career plan: "Yeah, I do one Dreamworks film a year, take all their money and bet it on Pixar at the Oscars."

I gutted myself when he said that!

lol.. yep, safest bet ever. :p

oocladableeblah
23-02-09, 01:27
Just got home what did I miss?

Dingaling
23-02-09, 01:33
Wall-E won Best Animated Film, something to do with miserable Cubes won best Short Animated Film; Benjamin Button for best Make-Up, The Duchess for best... costumes I think.

Can't mind a lot.

Encore
23-02-09, 01:34
For those not watching it's easier if you just go here :p http://www.imdb.com/ They update it live.

Benjamin Button and Slumdog are tied with 2 each.

Dingaling
23-02-09, 01:35
For those not watching it's easier if you just go here :p http://www.imdb.com/ They update it live.

Sake, that's cheating :p.

For anyone like me who isn't in the US, I'm watching using this link: http://www.justin.tv/el_parcero_

:).

Jo269976
23-02-09, 01:48
Sake, that's cheating :p.

For anyone like me who isn't in the US, I'm watching using this link: http://www.justin.tv/el_parcero_

:).

http://oscar.justtvnuts.com/

No problems with this one ;)

TRhalloween
23-02-09, 02:01
Is it still on? lol What channel in the UK?

Jedd Fletcher
23-02-09, 02:03
My Dad wanted to ground me because I'm not feeling well, so he removed the cable box, took it to work with him and I could not record nor watch live the Oscars. I'm really upset at that.

Jo269976
23-02-09, 02:06
Heath Ledger won best supporting for The Joker in The Dark Knight.

:jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

Dingaling
23-02-09, 02:09
Brad, Angelina and Anne Hathaway all looked visibly upset :(.

But well done to Heath :tmb:. It's just unfortunate he wasn't able to collect his award.

oocladableeblah
23-02-09, 02:21
His family gets the award, right?

ECB
23-02-09, 02:51
I think his daughter does, but the family accepted it in her name.

spikejones
23-02-09, 02:55
ZOMG!! EPIC PHAIL!! Alicia Keys messed up her lines when she was introducing an act!!

Fallen.Angel
23-02-09, 03:36
Was rooting for Angie but I'm still happy that Kate won. xD No surprise to see Heath win. Well deserved.

innocentvenus
23-02-09, 03:50
I didn't watch it this year because of the hype. I am not at all suprised that Heath won. But honestly, I felt if they wanted someone from TDK, it should have been Aaron Eckhart over Ledger. His Two-Face was more convincing than Ledger's "Joker". To me, it seems like his death is what really influenced this win.

Slumdog Millionare took this thing. Is it that good of a movie? *has never seen it*

la-la-lara
23-02-09, 06:35
Normally Marion Cotillard should have presented the Best Actor Academy Award. Respectively in other categories, why did that happen this year?

Tyrannosaurus
23-02-09, 06:36
Kate certainly deserved to win, so I'm glad she did.

Hellboy II got nominated for best makeup, which it deserved, but why not best visual effects? best art direction? I'm ****ed.

touchthesky
23-02-09, 06:40
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01342/hudgens-effron_1342291i.jpg

Ooh look at Zac!

Dark Lugia 2
23-02-09, 06:54
Awesome! Just saw a winner on GMTV,dunno what her name is though XD

How does this thing work? :p do people vte, as in the public, or do some 'special' people choose? :p And Zacs looking pretty smart there! :p

Nemo_91
23-02-09, 11:02
Here's a list of the winners:
(in bold)

BEST PICTURE
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
“Slumdog Millionaire”
“Frost/Nixon”
“The Reader”
“Milk”

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Richard Jenkins (”The Visitor”)
Frank Langella (”Frost/Nixon”)
Sean Penn (”Milk”)
Brad Pitt (”The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”)
Mickey Rourke (”The Wrestler”)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Anne Hathaway (”Rachel Getting Married”)
Angelina Jolie (”Changeling”)
Melissa Leo (”Frozen River”)
Meryl Streep (”Doubt”)
Kate Winslet (”The Reader”)

DIRECTING
David Fincher (”The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”)
Ron Howard (”Frost/Nixon”)
Gus Van Sant (”Milk”)
Stephen Daldry (”The Reader”)
Danny Boyle (”Slumdog Millionaire)

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Josh Brolin (”Milk”)
Robert Downey Jr. (”Tropic Thunder”)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (”Doubt”)
Heath Ledger (”The Dark Knight”)
Michael Shannon (”Revolutionary Road”)

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams (”Doubt”)
Penelope Cruz (”Vicky Cristina Barcelona”)
Viola Davis (”Doubt”)
Taraji P. Henson (”The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”)
Marisa Tomei (”The Wrestler”)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Baader Meinhoff Complex
Class
Departures
Revanche
Waltz With Bashir

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
“Bolt”
“Kung Fu Panda”
“Wall-E”

SCREENPLAY (Adapted)
“Doubt”
“Frost/Nixon”
“The Reader”
“Slumdog Millionaire”

SCREENPLAY (Original)
“Frozen River”
“Happy-Go-Lucky”
“In Bruges”
“Milk”
“Wall-E”

ART DIRECTION
“Changeling”
“The Dark Knight”
“The Duchess”
“Revolutionary Road”

CINEMATOGRAPHY
“Changeling”
“The Dark Knight”
“The Reader”
“Slumdog Millionaire”

COSTUME DESIGN
“Australia”
”The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
”The Duchess”
”Milk”
”Revolutionary Road”

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
“The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)”
”Encounters at the End of the World”
”The Garden”
”Man on Wire”
”Trouble the Water”

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
“The Conscience of Nhem En”
”The Final Inch”
”Smile Pinki”
”The Witness — From the Balcony of Room 306″

FILM EDITING
“The Dark Knight”
“Frost/Nixon”
“Milk”
“Slumdog Millionaire”

MAKEUP
”The Dark Knight”
”Hellboy II: The Golden Army”

MUSIC (SCORE)
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” Alexandre Desplat
“Defiance” James Newton Howard
“Milk” Danny Elfman
“Slumdog Millionaire” A.R. Rahman
“WALL-E” Thomas Newman”

MUSIC (SONG)
“Down to Earth” from “WALL-E”
“Jai Ho” from “Slumdog Millionaire”
“O Saya” from “Slumdog Millionaire”

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
“La Maison en Petits Cubes”
”Lavatory — Lovestory”
”Oktapodi”
”Presto”
”This Way Up”

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
“Auf der Strecke (On the Line)”
”Manon on the Asphalt”
”New Boy”
”The Pig”
”Spielzeugland (Toyland)”

SOUND EDITING
“The Dark Knight”
“Iron Man”
“Slumdog Millionaire”
“WALL-E”
“Wanted”

SOUND MIXING
“The Dark Knight”
“Slumdog Millionaire”
“‘WALL-E”
“Wanted”

VISUAL EFFECTS
The Dark Knight”
“Iron Man”

JEAN HERSHOLT HUMANITARIAN AWARD
Jerry Lewis

digitizedboy
23-02-09, 11:06
Heath Ledger (”The Dark Knight”)

That's all I need to know. :) But really, I couldn't stop up all night to watch this event, so I "need" to watch highlights of it. damn. :(

Lee croft
23-02-09, 11:09
im so glad kate won she's been underrated and now she finally get's what she is intitled too im so happy for her!!!

tranniversary119
23-02-09, 11:41
I knew angelina wasn't going to win anyways :wve: congrats to all that did ;)

MattTR
23-02-09, 12:54
Can't believe I missed it.. :( Oh well, glad Heath got it. :D

VonCroy360
23-02-09, 16:28
Normally Marion Cotillard should have presented the Best Actor Academy Award. Respectively in other categories, why did that happen this year?

I guess they decided to change it a bit this year, with having five of the previous winners presenting the award. Good idea, but it didn't turn out really good imo. The short speeches weren't that well written and the whole thing looked like a mess, especially in the Supporting Actor category - five presenters and three people receiving the award on that small stage?!
I loved the rest of the show. It had it's funny moments and it's pretty moments and the musical number were entertaining as well. :tmb:

How does this thing work? :p do people vte, as in the public, or do some 'special' people choose? :p And Zacs looking pretty smart there! :p

Click (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Motion_Picture_Arts_and_Sciences).

Wana b like Lara
23-02-09, 16:31
GO HEATH LEDGER!! Woo! :yah:

R.I.P His sweet Australian soul :(

Click (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Motion_Picture_Arts_and_Sciences).

The Post Code/Zip Code ....
90211? Hmmm =)

90210 :vlol:

Woops... sorry forgot to edit ... my bad =[

Spong
23-02-09, 16:34
I'm glad it's all over. Pointless ceremony of celebrity back slapping.

scion05
23-02-09, 19:05
I'm so glad that Kate won :D :jmp:

touchthesky
23-02-09, 20:07
wKhZtWHmels

What is that?!?!

Scrap it..I don't care...That was awesome!

Best Oscar moment? Aye Yes Oui!

oocladableeblah
23-02-09, 20:14
I didn't watch it this year because of the hype. I am not at all suprised that Heath won. But honestly, I felt if they wanted someone from TDK, it should have been Aaron Eckhart over Ledger. His Two-Face was more convincing than Ledger's "Joker". To me, it seems like his death is what really influenced this win.

Slumdog Millionare took this thing. Is it that good of a movie? *has never seen it*
Well yeah it did. I disagree I liked the Joker more than Two-Face, but I respect your opinion and it could be because I just plain love the joker he is awesome and clowns are just awesome themselves. Anyways him getting the award is not surprising in the least and it is a way to honor him and his role.
Whether he won just because of his death and not because of the awesome job he did no one knows.

Aaron Eckhart did a good job too I thought, but I thought his role was kind of rushed at least the two face part of him.

I haven't really seen any of the movies that were nominated. Hugh Jackmen did a good job singing he isn't bad at all. Was that his wife he pulled up on the stage during the opening song when he called her Nixon?

Tombreaper
23-02-09, 20:39
Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler? Hmm, not bad.

Larapink
23-02-09, 21:18
YAY for Slumdog Millionaire! :D:jmp:

Also it's been a great year so far for British film industry. :D

VonCroy360
23-02-09, 21:25
Was that his wife he pulled up on the stage during the opening song when he called her Nixon?

That's Anne Hathaway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004266/).

oocladableeblah
23-02-09, 21:26
That's Anne Hathaway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004266/).

Ah okay thanks. OO she is in Alice in Wonderland :D

Anubis_AF
24-02-09, 19:21
I don't see why Slumdog Millionaire is so overrated? Maybe they felt a low-budget movie would deserve awards regardless how good the other movies were (publicity for morals). The Curious Case of Benjamin Button should have won more Oscars, in my opinion.

Clara [CA]
24-02-09, 20:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKhZtWHmels

What is that?!?!

Scrap it..I don't care...That was awesome!
OK, I was trying to leave the Jackman fandom, but how can I, after that ?!

adventurerLara
25-02-09, 18:14
You can watch the full ceremony here:

http://sharjeelbukhari.com/oscar2009.aspx

Jedd Fletcher
26-02-09, 04:29
So, I was able to watch a recorded version of the Oscars (on our TiVO equivalent), albeit less that half of it as my Dad had disconnected the box. What follows is my unofficial "review" of the night.

I really liked this year's ceremony. I think this is one of the best Academy Award ceremonies in years, I was nearly bored to death for the last three. I loved how life was injected back in, even in our economically-challenged times. The stage design was so glamourous and glittering, and even though I didn't have full faith in Hugh Jackman the moment he stepped on stage I was convinced. All those who remember the glory days of Billy Crystal and John Cusack must have had an inner "hurrah!" when Hugh burst into his energetic opening number, complete with cardboard-and-duct-tape sets.

However, I do have to say that it will be a while before the Academy gets over its prejudice against popcorn summer movies. Not to snub anybody, but really almost all of the Best Pictures are not movies you'd go out to see to kick back with a couple of pals. "Hey Bob, do you want to check out Frost/Nixon? The action in there is awesome!" I did think that The Dark Knight was deserving of a Best Picture nod, but I'm very content with Heath Ledger winning for Best Supporting Actor. That was one of the most emotional moments of the night bar none. I'm sorry, but I cannot take Iron Man seriously as a Best Picture contender at all. It was witty, fun, groundbreaking and I really enjoyed it, but Best Picture? I don't think so.

However, I was upset that Iron Man was beat by the Curious Case of Benjamin Button in the VFX category. Benjamin Button more than deserved its win for makeup, but visual effects? Compositing Brad Pitt's head onto a variety of other actors is a piece of cake these days. Hell, the Wayan Brothers did it in Little Man. But the suit of armour going mano a mano against F-22 Raptors? Now that was Oscar-worthy.

Hooray for Slumdog Millionaire! The little movie that could took it all, and it was just a wondeful event when all the cast and crew present bounded onstage to receive Best Picture. It's a lovely tale of the underdog's triumph that mirrors that of Slumdog's story in beautiful symmetry.

adventurerLara
26-02-09, 12:37
I loved the speech that Nicole Kidman did about Angelina in Changeling.I've never seen them do the nominations like that before.
Altogether I loved the Oscars:D

ShadyCroft
26-02-09, 13:36
I watched bits and pieces last night. I loved the part when Kate Winslet received the Oscar and was like "Thanks to my mum, dad,...Dad if you're here please whistle cause I don't know where you are" and he does and she goes "oh there you are" :vlol:

Does anyone else think this whole media crap attention about Jennifer/John and Brad/Angelina is just too ridiculous ? :rolleyes:

VonCroy360
27-02-09, 14:45
However, I do have to say that it will be a while before the Academy gets over its prejudice against popcorn summer movies. Not to snub anybody, but really almost all of the Best Pictures are not movies you'd go out to see to kick back with a couple of pals. "Hey Bob, do you want to check out Frost/Nixon? The action in there is awesome!" I did think that The Dark Knight was deserving of a Best Picture nod, but I'm very content with Heath Ledger winning for Best Supporting Actor. That was one of the most emotional moments of the night bar none.

So you seriously think the movies you see to kick back and because they have "awesome" action are the best movies of the year? Not the movies with amazing storylines or the movies that moved you or made you think for weeks after seeing them? :confused:
I definitely agree that TDK should have got a BP and a directing nomination, but not because it has fun action scenes, but because despite the action, it's as good as any of the top five.

adventurerLara
27-02-09, 17:56
Is it just me or do you think Angelina got overlooked for her performance in Changeling because of her celebrity status.

Legend of Lara
27-02-09, 17:58
Best Motion Picture of the Year
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Ceán Chaffin, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall
Frost/Nixon: Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Eric Fellner
Milk: Bruce Cohen, Dan Jinks
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire: Christian Colson

No Dark Knight? Seriously? o_o

VonCroy360
27-02-09, 18:37
Is it just me or do you think Angelina got overlooked for her performance in Changeling because of her celebrity status.

I don't. The thing I personally didn't like in Angelina's performance was it being too emotional, if you know what I mean. She cries and shouts all the time and she does a good job at it, but just compare it to Meryl Streep's performance for example - that character never raises her voice one bit and stays calm at all times, but you can still feel all of the strong emotions and thoughts going through her head.
Not that I'm really the person to talk, since I only saw 3 of the 5. :o

Agent 47
27-02-09, 19:54
No Dark Knight? Seriously? o_o

Sci-fi & Superhero films always get snubbed at the Oscars, damned elitist dickwads :mad:

Encore
27-02-09, 23:53
I was very very sad when I knew Mickey Rourke hadn't won. It was downright pathetic if you ask me... He got most of the awards in other ceremonies for his performance and somehow he's still not "good enough" for mr. Oscar... :( It was so humiliating and as a long time fan I felt outraged. I think the lobbying is killing the credibility of the oscars... They think it's more important to give awards to certain movies due to their message, and not based on artistic merit!

Another smaller insult was not giving the Visual Effects award to Iron Man! It's like they wanted to compensate Benjamin Button for the lack of important awards so they gave them another one, but it's actually the SECOND time the Oscars show a blatant ignorance of the kind of hard work that goes behind visual effects - last year they overlooked Transformers and this year Iron Man.

MAJOR thumbsdown.

VonCroy360
28-02-09, 08:47
I was very very sad when I knew Mickey Rourke hadn't won. It was downright pathetic if you ask me... He got most of the awards in other ceremonies for his performance and somehow he's still not "good enough" for mr. Oscar... :( It was so humiliating and as a long time fan I felt outraged. I think the lobbying is killing the credibility of the oscars... They think it's more important to give awards to certain movies due to their message, and not based on artistic merit!

Err... seriously? He lost to Sean Penn, probably the best actor of the decade, a man that has 5 leading oscar nominations and about two dozens critically acclaimed films behind him. I think Rourke is great, but all the Penn-hating by Rourke fans is ridiculous and annoying already. It's not like he lost to the Wayans brothers or someone.

Another smaller insult was not giving the Visual Effects award to Iron Man! It's like they wanted to compensate Benjamin Button for the lack of important awards so they gave them another one, but it's actually the SECOND time the Oscars show a blatant ignorance of the kind of hard work that goes behind visual effects - last year they overlooked Transformers and this year Iron Man.

That's probably the problem with the voting proces. The visual effects branch has about 250 members and they vote for the nominations, but then all 6000 academy members vote for the winner, and if you don't really know much about effects, you'll probably just vote for the film you liked better as a whole.

Encore
28-02-09, 16:17
He lost to Sean Penn, probably the best actor of the decade,

Huh, ok, I completely disagree with that statement so I'll stop right here. XP

VonCroy360
28-02-09, 16:39
Huh, ok, I completely disagree with that statement so I'll stop right here. XP

I probably should have added an imo to that part just to make it clear it was only my opinion, but what I was trying to say is that you can't deny he's an amazing actor. And imo, he totally deserved it as much as Rourke did.
And saying that a film like Milk was on that list eight times simply for having a message without the art is like saying Far Cry was the film of the year. Blasphemy. :pi:

Encore
28-02-09, 17:14
If it's only your opinion then you should refrain from using such expressions as this.

all the Penn-hating by Rourke fans is ridiculous and annoying already

For one because I never expressed any "Penn-hating", I have nothing against him I just think he's not good enough to have 2 awards in his career; and I think Rourke deserved one this year specially considering all the other ceremonies where he won. Excuse me if as a fan I felt sad about it, but I don't think my opinion earns to be described as "ridiculous and annoying" just because it differs from yours.

VonCroy360
28-02-09, 17:35
If it's only your opinion then you should refrain from using such expressions as this.

For one because I never expressed any "Penn-hating", I have nothing against him I just think he's not good enough to have 2 awards in his career; and I think Rourke deserved one this year specially considering all the other ceremonies where he won. Excuse me if as a fan I felt sad about it, but I don't think my opinion earns to be described as "ridiculous and annoying" just because it differs from yours.

You said it was "downright pathetic", you were "outraged" and you basically said he won just because of the lobbying. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you and I think "Penn-hating" was a dumb expression, but I think it was pretty clear what I was trying to say - I was talking about the people who criticize Penn's win, not because it's something that should be criticized, but only because Rourke lost. I think they all need to learn how to admit defeat. And those are the people whose opinion I said I find annoying, not because it differs from my opinion but because it's... well, foolish and they need to get over it. A great role was praised and one other wasn't - things like that always happen. Is there any grand, life-effecting meaning about the oscars? I don't really think so.

Encore
28-02-09, 17:50
I was talking about the people who criticize Penn's win, not because it's something that should be criticized, but only because Rourke lost.

Well obviously... because he deserved it more.

VonCroy360
28-02-09, 18:11
Well obviously... because he deserved it more.

Geez, you really have to have the last word even when the discussion already went nowhere lmao? Okay, I'll give it to you then - enjoy.

adventurerLara
02-03-09, 17:45
I don't. The thing I personally didn't like in Angelina's performance was it being too emotional, if you know what I mean. She cries and shouts all the time and she does a good job at it, but just compare it to Meryl Streep's performance for example - that character never raises her voice one bit and stays calm at all times, but you can still feel all of the strong emotions and thoughts going through her head.
Not that I'm really the person to talk, since I only saw 3 of the 5. :o

I can sort of understand what you mean but I think Changeling overall got over looked at the award shows for me it was the best film i've seen last year, if not for a long time, and I've heard lots of other people say the same.