PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest you've been awake...and why???

CerebralAssassin
23-01-09, 04:32
Hi all :)

well,as the thread title says,what's the longest you've been awake?for me...it's about 35 hours!!:pI know,not much!:pI'm a sleep man,I needs lots of sleep,can't stay up for too long!:cln:

I stayed up that long cause I had to pull off an all-nighter to do a butt load of homework that was due the next day!!(I had woken up in the morning the previous day).And after classes,I had to go to work!:hea:

I have a friend that tells me he was awake once for a whole week watching some Anime marathon thingy on TV (yeah,he's an anime freak).I think he's completely bull****ing me though,I don't think it's possible to stay up THAT long...anyway..

how about you?:)

SamReeves
23-01-09, 04:42
I've done 40 hours. You usually sleep for 12 the next night afterwards. ;)

patriots88888
23-01-09, 04:44
So far the record is 43 hours of uninterrupted awakedness! Long battle with insomnia and it apparently won!

Henhead
23-01-09, 04:47
I've done 40 hours. You usually sleep for 12 the next night afterwards. ;)

I can sleep for 12 + hours even without staying up for 40 hours :jmp:

48 - 50 is mine a few years back and a bus weekend trip to Paris. Over 84 hours I only got about 8 hours kip

ajrich17901
23-01-09, 04:48
The longest ive been up was about 46 hours no real reason to it actualy just did it.

Nefertiti_89
23-01-09, 05:02
38 hours ona flight back from Canada that got re-routed and delayed in Honolulu for 6 hours and then we had to stop in K.L before flying to Sydney when we COULD have just flown straight to Brisbane where we were going anyway and cut 10 hours of the whole stupid thing!!!!!

Did I mention it was unpleasant? :p

Fallen.Angel
23-01-09, 05:12
I stayed up twice for about 35-40 hours. Once because I had an excruciating tootheache that lasted all night - t'was horrible but thank god that's over with, it happened a few years ago.

The second time I stayed up because of one of my ex-boyfriends (ugggh >=[ ) chatted over the phone from 9pm all the way to 5am and just decided to stay up from there. I was young and stupid. What can I say?

Spong
23-01-09, 05:19
My personal record is 72 hours. Ironically, it was when a friend and I first got hold of TRLE. I stayed up for 3 days straight, worked through the tutorial and then started my first level.

patriots88888
23-01-09, 05:24
My personal record is 72 hours. Ironically, it was when a friend and I first got hold of TRLE. I stayed up for 3 days straight, worked through the tutorial and then started my first level.

My GAWD man, are you insane? :eek: Keep staying awake for that long like that and you soon will be! :p [jk]

Carbonek_0051
23-01-09, 05:46
About 3 days, I don't remember why I did it. But when I finally fell asleep I missed a whole day and a half. :vlol:

Mad Tony
23-01-09, 05:58
So far in my life I've never really had to stay up for that long without going to sleep. I'd say the longest I've been was about 21 hours. That was the last day of a school trip to Berlin. We got up about 7 in the morning and did some stuff in Berlin and then left about 11 at night. I didn't get back to my house until about 4 in the morning. Needless to say I slept for a good 12 hours.

tlr online
23-01-09, 06:13
About three days for me, when I was a lot younger. I'm routinely awake for 24 hour stretches these days, altho this is a routine I'd like to break.

Psychos'Я'Us
23-01-09, 06:35
Just one whole day xD And I did it because I became a nocturnal(sleeping during the day and being active at night lol) and I needed to fix my sleep so I decided to stay a wake the whole day and go to bed the next night.
I felt awful...like a zombie on horse crack >_>

Shark_Blade
23-01-09, 06:46
I can stay awake for one night, but in the morning I will have headache, feel groggy, less focus, moody and quick temper. In the evening I will fall asleep like a log to replenish my sanity back.

It's absolutely BS that my teachers always told us in class :mad::

Philosophers of the past spent their nights with 2 hours to pray, 2 hours to study and 2 hours to sleep. (from 12am - 6am, and they are awake for the rest of the hours). The teachers want us to be like them philosophers and study more in the night.

Seriously, 2 hours of sleep everyday? :rolleyes:

I strongly disagree of sleep deprivation, and these are the reasons why:

Reduced alertness
Shortened attention span
Slower than normal reaction time
Poorer judgement
Reduced awareness of the environment and situation
Reduced decision-making skills
Poorer memory
Reduced concentration
Increased likelihood of mentally ‘stalling’ or fixating on one thought
Increased likelihood of moodiness and bad temper
Reduced work efficiency
Loss of motivation
Errors of omission (making a mistake by forgetting to do something)
Errors of commission (making a mistake by doing something, but choosing the wrong option)
Microsleep (brief periods of involuntary sleeping that range from a few seconds to a few minutes in duration).

Not only that, sleep deprivation can adversely affect brain function. Brain damage will happen as well because your enzymes are denied from repairing brain cell damage caused by free radicals.

Also, sleep deprivation may be linked to more serious diseases, such as heart disease and mental illnesses, such as psychosis and bipolar disorder.

So people, make sure you sleep well. :)

Logie 12 =]
23-01-09, 07:02
i stayed up a whole night, because my mum was in hospital and i was scared

tomkat
23-01-09, 07:16
About 2 days... we went to a friend's wedding, got on the bus at 6am, got to the location that evening, had the wedding and the party afterwards, then got on the bus directly after to get home again.

jaywalker
23-01-09, 08:10
Think 3 days straight is my record, working whole time. Oh the days of overtime how i miss thee.. Went to work Monday morning, on Wednesday went home (had change of clothes and showers naturally each day!) then Thursday worked thru til late Friday.. so in 5 day working period slept only 1 night.

Archetype
23-01-09, 08:25
A week :/ a week ago!

Encore
23-01-09, 08:26
A week :/ a week ago!

What??? :eek:

sandygrimm
23-01-09, 08:40
about 50 hours. I can't remember well seeing that I was a wreck all that time:D

Archetype
23-01-09, 08:40
What??? :eek:

had an operation.. couldn't fall asleep oO

aileenwuornos
23-01-09, 08:55
had an operation.. couldn't fall asleep oO

That's crazy!

Mines two days.

Legend Killer
23-01-09, 09:28
I can stay awake for one night, but in the morning I will have headache, feel groggy, less focus, moody and quick temper. In the evening I will fall asleep like a log to replenish my sanity back.

It's absolutely BS that my teachers always told us in class :mad::

Philosophers of the past spent their nights with 2 hours to pray, 2 hours to study and 2 hours to sleep. (from 12am - 6am, and they are awake for the rest of the hours). The teachers want us to be like them philosophers and study more in the night.

Seriously, 2 hours of sleep everyday? :rolleyes:

I strongly disagree of sleep deprivation, and these are the reasons why:

Reduced alertness
Shortened attention span
Slower than normal reaction time
Poorer judgement
Reduced awareness of the environment and situation
Reduced decision-making skills
Poorer memory
Reduced concentration
Increased likelihood of mentally ‘stalling’ or fixating on one thought
Increased likelihood of moodiness and bad temper
Reduced work efficiency
Loss of motivation
Errors of omission (making a mistake by forgetting to do something)
Errors of commission (making a mistake by doing something, but choosing the wrong option)
Microsleep (brief periods of involuntary sleeping that range from a few seconds to a few minutes in duration).

Not only that, sleep deprivation can adversely affect brain function. Brain damage will happen as well because your enzymes are denied from repairing brain cell damage caused by free radicals.

Also, sleep deprivation may be linked to more serious diseases, such as heart disease and mental illnesses, such as psychosis and bipolar disorder.

So people, make sure you sleep well. :)

My nephew was telling me over the holidays of his adventures in military basic training and was told by his instructor that 5 hrs a night was sufficient for the human body to function normally. I actually average that or less during the work week on a regular basis and try to make up for it a little on the weekends. The longest I've gone is probably around 30 hrs or so, but my body did not like it.

Andromeda66
23-01-09, 09:50
I was awake for 35 hours too. There was a night-sky observation trip I did one very busy weekend. Went Saturday morning(woke up at 7:30, came back Sunday morning and went to sleep around 11:00pm Sunday. So thats 39.5 hours I think.

Damn it was fun. But towards evening, I started noticing a drop in my attentivity lol. Couldn't think as well and wasn't as sharp. So i try to avoid staying up too much.

jackali
23-01-09, 11:48
About three and a half days. I'd rather not have done it, but I needed to get some work done... and well... deadlines beat the need for sleep.

Agent 47
23-01-09, 11:51
Definitely over 24hrs. i did the Le Mans PS2 game on 24hr mode, finished 3rd overall :D it was also the weekend of a Grand Prix so, given i always watch races live regardless of timezone, it kept me up :D

disneyprincess20
23-01-09, 12:01
Just over 48 hours, nearer 50, including the time when I was flying back from Malaysia to the UK. I can't sleep on planes, I've never been able to even on overnight flights, so I was awake the whole time from Kota Kinnabalu, to Kuala Lumpa back to Heathrow,and then back to Somerset in the UK. It wasn't until I got back to my bed that I fell asleep!

I go through bouts of insomnia, and won't sleep for a few days (or only sleep for a couple of hours) then sleep like the dead the week after that.

MattTR
23-01-09, 12:05
Probably a day or two, I hate it though, cause afterwards you can sleep for literally a whole and still be tired, I try to avoid it as much as possible now, sleeping rocks. :D

Titanium
23-01-09, 12:05
40 hours, I felt like **** after 35 of them. :p

Nannonxyay
23-01-09, 12:14
I don't think I've ever stayed awake for long. :p

Though, I only get about five hours of sleep most days.

marla_biggs
23-01-09, 12:18
a couple of times now ive stayed up till five in the morning to finish coursework, so 20 hours maybe. lol i know it doesn't sound much but at the time it felt like forever :cen:

Paddy
23-01-09, 12:27
Stayed up until 10 the next morning.

digitizedboy
23-01-09, 12:31
about 46 hours. I don't know why exactly, it just happened. I'd rather not try that one again though because sleep is one of the greatest pleasures in life. :)

]{eith
23-01-09, 12:50
6 days due to extreme insomnia. Gah!

CerebralAssassin
23-01-09, 12:51
Damn it was fun. But towards evening, I started noticing a drop in my attentivity lol. Couldn't think as well and wasn't as sharp. So i try to avoid staying up too much.

don't tell me you were trying to study while sleep-deprived Prachee!!:smk::p

Just one whole day xD And I did it because I became a nocturnal(sleeping during the day and being active at night lol) and I needed to fix my sleep so I decided to stay a wake the whole day and go to bed the next night.
I felt awful...like a zombie on horse crack >_>

yeah,I do these "program" shifts all the time myself.I worked at a job where there's no "fixed" shift (some days I work mornings,some nights etc.).that ****s up my sleeping pattern:p

:eek: that's freaky...

NemesisxAngelus
23-01-09, 12:52
My personal record is 5 days straight.. bad times of insomnia, I pop pills now, not to cure insomnia but I use them to cure it though.

MiCkiZ88
23-01-09, 12:56
Aprox 48 hours.

School organized movie marathon. Watching movies from friday 5pm to saturday 5pm. That, and a bit of insomnia.

Edit: Just read Sharkblade's comment, and I have to say that it doesn't affect everyone like that. Sure it might damage your body, but there are people who can easily survive with just few hours of sleep or none at all.

xRikux89
23-01-09, 13:01
About 3 days for me. No real reason... :p

mizuno_suisei
23-01-09, 13:06
When I was 10 years old, 54hours. Aunty giving birth (Ended up being C-section anyway) I was so excited, no one else had children in our family so I was the only one, I was so excited I couldnt sleep. I remember telling her to hurry up and give birth :vlol: She was in labour for so long.

viper456
23-01-09, 13:19
just over 48 hours I think? yesterday and the day before I didnt sleep because of good company and amusement!

Joely-Moley
23-01-09, 13:19
42 hours I think.

I was going to Leeds festival from Glasgow and we were getting the bus down during the night and the plan was to sleep on the bus. Though we were stupid and got on the wrong bus, so had to stay up all night to find where we could get off and not miss our stop.

So having been up from about 9am the previous day getting to Leeds about 8am then having a 12 hour festival starting at 12...not good!

Nearly killed me started hallucinating ,thought that some of the rides were coming at me!

bloodstormaoa
23-01-09, 13:22
83.5 hours.

Reason? Insomnia's a *****! :p

Neteru
23-01-09, 13:22
The longest I've stayed awake is a little over 48 hours. The longest I've slept without any waking is exactly 24 hours. The longest I've slept with only a couple of moments of consciousness, each about 30 seconds duration, was also around 48 hours.

Drone
23-01-09, 13:35
7 days without sleep when I was younger. I had only my work and alcohol

da tomb raider!
23-01-09, 13:36
About 25 hours, when I was travelling from the UK to Malaysia.

kristi
23-01-09, 13:41
20 hours,from 8am(31 December) to 4am(1 January).:p

Don't blame me,I'm still young and my brain isn't mature enough to take on such challenges.

About half an hour of playing the piano,sent me straight to the bed.

rowanlim
23-01-09, 13:52
I think it's easier for me to say that the shortest amount of sleep I've ever gotten is 4 hrs :p

Andromeda66
23-01-09, 16:35
don't tell me you were trying to study while sleep-deprived Prachee!!:smk::p

LOL No. I never study when sleep-deprived. Its not going to get me anywhere so might as well sleep and recover my strength and finish in 2 hours what I'd take 6 to do while sleep-deprived.

In this case, I was discussing stuff with my friends. But the lack of sleep really impairs your concentration. I couldn't concentrate for jack. All I could think of was bed bed bed. lol

spikejones
23-01-09, 16:39
try....2 months on a drug binge (not recommended).

trtrailerman
23-01-09, 16:41
I think it was just over 26 hours :( we were going on holiday and we needed to get in the car at about 4 am, and i forgot to nap during the car journey and for the entire day, i cudnt sleep when i got there either -_- mum insisted we stock up on food first, we had to take this little train to get around and i was sooo tired, struggling to keep my eyes open when suddenly the train stopped and dr. house came on board and said I had cancer, then i jolted awake XD it seemed real at the time apart from dr. house isnt :p

irjudd
23-01-09, 16:41
Scooby doobie don't! :smk:

CerebralAssassin
23-01-09, 16:43

say no to drugs!!!:smk:

spikejones
23-01-09, 16:52
oh noes!! Im being spanked!! :(

but really, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. its no fun. no fun at all. your body feels like **** all the time.

Bumio
23-01-09, 17:10
about 50 hours. art review days at uni.

EDIT: more then 50 hours.

TombRaiderCool
23-01-09, 17:13
The longest I have stayed awake is probably around 40 hours. I don't usually stay up that late anymore, just mostly on weekends. :)

Larapink
23-01-09, 18:16
Well last week was the longest time I have been awake almost everyday I was awake, I hardly went to sleep because I had alot of assignments due in everyday of that week.:(

Happy that's over now, I can just relax now. :D

Encore
23-01-09, 18:23

but really, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. its no fun. no fun at all. your body feels like **** all the time.

Of all the drug addicts in the world, speed freaks seriously scare the **** outta me more than any others. :pi:

CerebralAssassin
23-01-09, 18:30
Of all the drug addicts in the world, speed freaks seriously scare the **** outta me more than any others. :pi:

yeah...and the weed guys too!!it;s as if they're walking around with a laughing gas bottle or something!!:pi::pi::pi:

TombRaiderLover
23-01-09, 18:33
About 36 hours.

I stayed up all night when my family stayed in a hotel in London. When we left later the next day to visit Madame Tussauds, I kept asking people if the room was rotating . . . and when I was walking back to the hotel, I had little awareness of my surroundings, which is bad when the roads are extremely busy. The excessive Red Bull didn't help. I fell asleep on the train back home, woke up again to get into the house, then slept in my room for 18 hours.

Feather Duster
23-01-09, 21:34
6 hours :wve: then I fall asleep! :D

xMiSsCrOfTx
23-01-09, 21:44
34 hours or so, when my grandma was in the hospital last year.

digitizedboy
23-01-09, 21:58

Well.. the medication kind of drugs make people feel like **** with all those added side effects. o_o Unfortunately they're necessary with some people though.

Fish.
23-01-09, 22:17
72 hours or more, because I could. :)

rmecpirate
23-01-09, 22:24
A full 48 hours. Let me tell ya, trying to stay quiet when everyone else in the house is snoring is not that easy. I hated the circumstances behind it though, I chalk it up to temporary insanity.

Lara's Backpack
23-01-09, 22:27
30ish hours I guess? During the millenium celebrations :D Woke up at 6 walked around on the beaches watching fireworks and partying in the unit that night and through to the next day. I went to bed early the next afternoon I think

EmeraldFields
23-01-09, 22:41
33 hours. I hate when I have to pull an all-nighter for school.

Tombreaper
23-01-09, 22:48
40 Hrs..Special training things.

Seb_01225
23-01-09, 22:55
around 48 hours is my record.
Right now I've been awake for like 45 hours because I'm pretty ill so I've just watched endless TV. I'm gonna try and beat my record of 2 days now.
i pretty much used to sleeping very little as i normally fall asleep pretty late and have to get up very early in the mornings, this should be easy.

trXD
23-01-09, 23:30
I dont remember... dont think i ever really stayed awake for a significant amount of time.

Pietras
24-01-09, 00:35
I find it really hard to believe anyone who says about being awake for a WEEK.

For me it would be about 40 hours something. Unfortunately it happens quite often during the finals :(

pizzabob18
24-01-09, 00:52
The longest for me was 2 days. Last year, I had brain surgery, and since I had an automatic blood pressure arm-band clench my arm every hour, I never got a chance to sleep.

Second place goes to 24 hours, when I was at a cast party for a show I was in, and I had to sleep over since I couldn't get a ride, so I slept alone in the basement, and couldn't sleep since it was so cold. Of course, when I got back home, I plopped right down and dozed off for hours!

tombfan91
24-01-09, 00:54
hmm depends. if it's finals.... well the studying can keep me up all night plus is till have to go to school, so basically i'm awake all night during finals week, although i should be resting for it (or so they say lol)

Hardcore Nerd
24-01-09, 01:06
Nice thread! I don't remember but ithappended when i was in the army. :)

Shrantellatessa
24-01-09, 05:29
I remember not sleeping for over 24 hours; why? Papers!

BoyTRaider
24-01-09, 05:40
Around 36... It was like... out of it.

la-la-lara
24-01-09, 08:57
The longest I've been awake? 48 hours. It was summer and I was hanging around with friends. We spent two whole days on the beach that year. :)

touchthesky
24-01-09, 10:42
Like just over 24 hours. It was because of a dodgy sleeping pattern, so nothing hardcore here, I'm afraid :).

Lee croft
24-01-09, 12:25
i have no idea ..... but i need my sleep

dcw123
24-01-09, 13:16
Longest I stayed up for was about 36...:p
I'm suprised at the amount some people are claiming though... geez.
Without sleep, after a few days, the body can't physically take the amount of energy needed, and you just collapse and sleep automatically LOL:ton:

BTW, in the 2st post about the person awake for a week - totally BS sorry..;)

corey01
24-01-09, 13:39
maybe 40ish when i went on hols to california:o

Gabi
24-01-09, 13:51
It is possible to go without sleep for a number of days. I think the record held is about 11 days. The person in question would most likely experience side effects, like irritability, edginess, inability to tolerate stress and problems with concentration and memory.
The longest I have ever been awake was from morning until evening of the next day, roughly 40 hours.
I would not voluntarily do this, though, since I get ever so grumpy when I am tired and something prevents me from going to sleep. :D

Laurencarter
24-01-09, 13:53
60 hours. Had a deadline. I'll never procrastinate again.

Atlantisfreak666
24-01-09, 13:55
2 days.
:wve:

TR93
24-01-09, 13:57
4 days..
It was christmas and I just couldn't sleep at all, I had too much sugar and was litteraly on hyper mode for 3 days and by the 4th day I was ill;)

laralauraxxx
24-01-09, 17:03
about 20 hours. :P

tombraiderluka
24-01-09, 20:43
Well I dunno, maybe two hole days and a little more :D
Aww, those Endless Parties at Private :jmp:

Tonyrobinson
24-01-09, 20:46
2 days on the third I woke up at 6am after going to bed around 2 hours before hand. I was in tescos and started seeing lots of dogs running around and I started to speak in gibberish. It was bad at the time but looking back it was kinda funny :tea:

NemesisX13X
25-01-09, 18:24
28 hours :D