PDA

View Full Version : Tom & Jerry to return as live action film

TR FAN 18
23-01-09, 14:18
Tom and Jerry are to return to the big screen in a live-action remake, according to industry reports.

The animated cat and mouse, who debuted on the small screen in the 1940s, will follow in the footsteps of fellow Hanna-Barbera character Scooby-Doo.

The 2002 film version of Scooby-Doo and 2004 sequel, Monsters Unleashed, made 330m ($457m) at the global box office.

Trade paper Variety says the new film will concentrate on how Tom and Jerry met and their subsequent rivalry.

More Info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7844507.stm

OK, I got one word to say about that and that is "WHY?!"
I like T&J but I don't see how this is going to work as a live action film. Where would they get a cat that looks like Tom and a mouse that looks like Jerry? :confused:
Live action films are OK but I just don't think they are as good as the proper animated versions.

sandygrimm
23-01-09, 14:19
OMG :vlol: Ne freakin' way.
this will be like cats and dogs or Stewart Little( type of animation)?

Encore
23-01-09, 14:21
Seriously..... WHY. Why do they keep violating my childhood. WHY!!!

Wasn't the Garfield movies enough?!?!?!?! :hea:

Angelus
23-01-09, 14:21
Tom & Jerry will have to be CGI... this could work, but they'd have to create a good story, considering that most episodes of T & J consist of them smashing things over each other's head. :p

Ilie_Fusarau
23-01-09, 14:23
Something like this (http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2007_Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks/2007_alvin_and_the_chipmunks_010.jpg) I think .

Encore
23-01-09, 14:23
Tom & Jerry will have to be CGI... this could work, but they'd have to create a good story, considering that most episodes of T & J consist of them smashing things over each other's head. :p

Wasn't that the WHOLE POINT of the show though? How can they create a "good story" for a show that's not suposed to have one?

Angelus
23-01-09, 14:26
Wasn't that the WHOLE POINT of the show though? How can they create a "good story" for a show that's not suposed to have one?

That was my point. :p I don't see how they can create a good story as the show never had one.

disneyprincess20
23-01-09, 14:29
When will they stop butchering our childhoods and leave the great classic childrens shows alone?!

Dustie
23-01-09, 14:31
^ Not anytime soon, least not as long as those things stand a chance to make money for the studios.

For a moment I thought how the hell are they going to pull this off, but yeah, it's probably going to be just like Stewart Little and Alvin and the Chimpunks...

It's not even about are they going to do it, but how funny is it going to be, so they better get a good script...

Punaxe
23-01-09, 14:54

Year, or Garfield... Man, I'm not keeping my hopes up. Some things should just stay 2D.

digitizedboy
23-01-09, 14:55
I suppose they'll be doing something like wile e coyote and roadrunner soon too.

I mean I love that old classic slapstick animation. They had me in stitches when I was a lot younger. I don't think these live action interpretations ever had the same effect with me. :(

Jo269976
23-01-09, 14:57
I found this out yesterday, and I'm still puking at regular intervals.

Shark_Blade
23-01-09, 15:10
Considering they've tried to reinvent the cartoon series which they have failed (because the classics has more charm to it and much more convincing and entertaining) this remake could also be a disaster. We've had Tom and Jerry the movie before, and they even talked! :eek::yik: Way to ruin a franchise. :pi:

Now if they make quality cgi movie, something like Alvin & the Chipmunks...:whi:

tomblover
23-01-09, 15:14
I'll have to see this. I love T&J and I like the extra long specials. :p

Tonyrobinson
23-01-09, 15:17
there will also be a third scooby doo live action movie but its a prequel :p

Velma is also asian in it ???

robm_2007
23-01-09, 15:19
two words:

Cash Cow

irjudd
23-01-09, 15:23
Say wha?

digitizedboy
23-01-09, 15:32
there will also be a third scooby doo live action movie but its a prequel :p

Velma is also asian in it ???

Oh I read that, its title is "Scooby Doo : In the beginning". :D I must admit though the actress who is playing Velma is stunning. :)

There's also The Smurfs planned for 2010.

SamReeves
23-01-09, 16:01
When will they stop butchering our childhoods and leave the great classic childrens shows alone?!

Sad isn't it? I wonder how long until they destroy Peanuts or Bugs Bunny?

Hey Hollywood types, try coming up with something original!

Reggie
23-01-09, 16:11
Does anyone remember the original movie with Aunt Figg? Loved that film. :D

Mona Sax
23-01-09, 16:55
No, no, no. That's just too many kinds of wrong. :hea:

pizzabob18
24-01-09, 02:27
Woo, another soon to be butchered classic series that will no doubt be chock full of pop culture and hip hop songs! :hea: From scooby doo, to Alvin and the chipmunks, these "movies" never make me want to look at the original cartoons the same way again

Plus, I'm starting to miss 2d animation, at least the simpsons movie was done that way and it turned out great.

EmeraldFields
24-01-09, 02:34
No, no, no. That's just too many kinds of wrong. :hea:

Agreed.:(

Shrantellatessa
24-01-09, 02:36
Doesn't sound good, at all! :(

Mr.Burns
24-01-09, 02:38
Sad isn't it? I wonder how long until they destroy Peanuts or Bugs Bunny?

Hey Hollywood types, try coming up with something original!*tries not to think about a live action Peanuts movie*

*shudders*

oocladableeblah
24-01-09, 02:40
This is horrible news. It's not gonna be funny if it's realistic. I swear if they do this to Looney Tunes I am gonna.... cry :p

Shark_Blade
24-01-09, 02:42
Does anyone remember the original movie with Aunt Figg? Loved that film. :Dlol wut? Is that Harry's neighbour that hit Mundungus Fletcher with a bag of cat food?

pizzabob18
24-01-09, 03:38
I wish that disney, dreamworks, pixar and the like would stop making unnecessary sequels, and just work on original and new ideas. They already have a Shrek 4 and 5 planned, and we haven't even seen the 4th one yet (and in my opinion, the 3rd one wasn't even that great!)

MattTR
24-01-09, 03:39
Hot damn! THis will be amazing, I love T&J! :jmp:

Thanks for posting! :tmb:

Jo269976
24-01-09, 03:39
I wish that disney, dreamworks, pixar and the like would stop making unnecessary sequels, and just work on original and new ideas. They already have a Shrek 4 and 5 planned, and we haven't even seen the 4th one yet (and in my opinion, the 3rd one wasn't even that great!)
Don't forget the 'Puss in Boots' spin-off.

pizzabob18
24-01-09, 03:42

oh good god! Will they ever learn?

I think sequels to old classic disney movies are the worst. I had to watch Peter Pan 2 when I was babysitting years ago. The original is a classic filled with a memorable soundtrack. The new one had poppy music, and a terrible plot. What's next? Snow White 2?...oh wait..I bet they've already made that!

Punaxe
24-01-09, 16:02

What? Did he get his own movie? :eek:

Encore
24-01-09, 16:11

:ohn: The only sequel Pixar made was Toy Story 2, and besides it was great. If there's anyone working with original ideas in the animation business right now, it is only Pixar!

Candee Sparks
24-01-09, 16:21

:hea:

While I'm thinking about it, it's pretty stupid to do a Shrek 4 & 5 considering the fact that Mike Myers lost his comedic touch like, after Goldmember and Shrek 2. It's outrageous to think that an Austin Powers 4 has been announced and the continuation of Shrek. Puss In Boots might be interesting though considering it's not the same full cast.

As for Tom and Jerry, I love how Hollywood is all out of ideas that they have to pick off of anything and everything that comes their way. Can you imagine where were going to be in about 20 years? Soon there's going to be a movie based off of 'My Life' by Bill Clinton or 'Red Carpet Suicide' by Perez Hilton. I'm pretty ****ed after I found out that MTV is remaking Rocky Horror Picture Show. :mad:

Night Crawler
24-01-09, 16:45
I swear if they do this to Looney Tunes I am gonna.... cry :pThey already have, several times. :confused:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Movie_poster_looney_tunes_back_in_action.JPG

http://images.art.com/images/-/Space-Jam--C10053900.jpeg

Punaxe
24-01-09, 16:51
^ but at least those were still drawn in pretty much the original style.

pizzabob18
24-01-09, 18:43
I remember seeing space jam when I was 8, even now, I still consider it a good movie, A kids movie, but a good one nonetheless.

Tyrannosaurus
24-01-09, 19:22
They're making a live action Tom and Jerry movie now? All this, and Ralph Bakshi can't rub enough pennies together to finish Last Days of Coney Island, nor can Alejandro Jodorowsky find the funding to film a proper sequel to El Topo? It makes me want to cry.

Tonyrobinson
24-01-09, 20:36
The Jetsons are getting turned lived action too :tea:

bivvy
24-01-09, 20:36
:ohn: The only sequel Pixar made was Toy Story 2, and besides it was great. If there's anyone working with original ideas in the animation business right now, it is only Pixar!

Toy Story 3. is in the works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story_3

Tonyrobinson
24-01-09, 20:42
The only pixar sequel I want made is Monsters Inc. 2 :(

PandaINC
24-01-09, 22:21
I'm pretty ****ed after I found out that MTV is remaking Rocky Horror Picture Show. :mad:

Oh my god. You have got to be kidding right?
ugh. god. :hea: I'm already upset they're making a sequel to Donnie Darko, and now this?

spikejones
24-01-09, 22:27
Something like this (http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2007_Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks/2007_alvin_and_the_chipmunks_010.jpg) I think .
clicking that gets me this:

Redirect Loop

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

:rolleyes:
indeed. I wonder if they make a live action film if it will receive an R rating? :vlol:

Neteru
24-01-09, 22:31
You might be forgiven for thinking I'm stalking you tonight. :D Anyway, it's because you're blocking their cookies.

spikejones
24-01-09, 22:38
nope... im accepting all cookies actually. when I click the link it gets redirected to here:

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/thief.gif

but the link is supposed to go here:

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2007_Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks/2007_alvin_and_the_chipmunks_010.jpg

I can copy the link to the address bar and it shows the image as it is supposed to, but clicking the link works not.

weird. It works right now in FF but it doesnt seem to want to work right in IE (which doesnt get redirected - but takes forever trying to load an image, still hasnt loaded the image.) thats just weird.

huh.. it doesn't work again after clearing the cache (cookies are still intact).

Encore
24-01-09, 22:40
Toy Story 3. is in the works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story_3

That's good news. ;) Like I said, Toy Story 2 was great and I have never been disapointed by a Pixar movie so far. My point precisely was that it's the only good animation studio these days.

bivvy
24-01-09, 22:54
That's good news. ;) Like I said, Toy Story 2 was great and I have never been disapointed by a Pixar movie so far. My point precisely was that it's the only good animation studio these days.

IMO I don't find it that much of a 'woah' news. ;). Toy Story 2 was rounded off nicely but a 3rd instillation is sort of unnecessary. And Pixar isn't the only great studio around, I think DreamWorks done a nice job with Shrek and Kung Fu Panda.

Terra Inclined
24-01-09, 22:55
Tom and Jerry live action? Yeuch.

Neteru
24-01-09, 23:06
nope... im accepting all cookies actually. when I click the link it gets redirected to here:

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/thief.gif

but the link is supposed to go here:

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2007_Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks/2007_alvin_and_the_chipmunks_010.jpg

I can copy the link to the address bar and it shows the image as it is supposed to, but clicking the link works not.

weird. It works right now in FF but it doesnt seem to want to work right in IE (which doesnt get redirected - but takes forever trying to load an image, still hasnt loaded the image.) thats just weird.

huh.. it doesn't work again after clearing the cache (cookies are still intact).

Ah, it's an anti-hotlinking measure then. I must confess I just assumed it was a cookie issue as I refuse cookies.

remote91
24-01-09, 23:13
Oh God no.

Just create a new generation of characters for children and stop raping the memory of old ones.

silver_wolf
24-01-09, 23:34
ugh...

Thorir
24-01-09, 23:45
Nooooooooo! Don't ruin Tom and Jerry! :(

thecentaur
24-01-09, 23:56
No. Please no. I dislike live action in the first place, and they're taking a classic like Tom and Jerry and turning that into one of those?! :ohn:

*imagines how many hammers Jerry used to attack Tom in the making of this movie...*

croft94
25-01-09, 01:26
Live Action film? WTF?!

>.<

Lara Croft!
25-01-09, 10:57
Lame movie idea!

Tonyrobinson
30-01-09, 21:43
Tom and Jerry's live action movie is being made by LIN PICTURES!

lol so Tomb Raider 3

MattTR
30-01-09, 21:44
Tom and Jerry's live action movie is being made by LIN PICTURES!

lol so Tomb Raider 3

Tomb Raider 3 is actually Warner Bros. :p

Tonyrobinson
01-02-09, 10:59
Tomb Raider 3 is actually Warner Bros. :p

Yes it is and Lin Pictures is also making it. Dan Lin is using his own company:)

Shark_Blade
01-02-09, 12:01
Seriously? TR3 is in the making? :yik:
No. Please no. I dislike live action in the first place, and they're taking a classic like Tom and Jerry and turning that into one of those?! :ohn:

*imagines how many hammers Jerry used to attack Tom in the making of this movie...*
I agree. Live action doesn't feel funny like the cartoon. Imagine a real cat being hit by a hammer. I will feel sad, rather than laughing out loud.

Dark Lugia 2
01-02-09, 17:12
I'm a tom and jerry fan and I think this is a lame excuse for a movie! :p the "modern" tom and jerry cartoon movies are freaking boring to watch, too (magic ring) let alone a live action one :p

AmericanAssassin
01-02-09, 17:18
Tom & Jerry? Wow. This movie is going to suck. :p

Seriously? TR3 is in the making? :yik:

You must not visit the movie forums much. This is old (and amazing) news. :D

Legend of Lara
01-02-09, 17:23
Live action Tom & Jerry.

This sentence made me feel dirty. :(

Bumio
01-02-09, 17:37
lol, im probably the only one here who actually likes this Tom and Jerry movie idea :p

it would be quite interesting to see the creativity of developers and how Jerry and Tom will look as a live characters :)