PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Copyright Control

Laralissa
23-01-09, 16:37
Hey guys

Just wondering what your opinions on Youtube Copyright control are? I myself have a channel where I upload fanmade Final Fantasy Videos (Final Fantasy footage along with a song of some kind) - in all cases I make sure to state where the footage was taken from, along with the correct ownership of the song (Eg - Property of UMG). However, despite the fact that in some cases my videos have been up for over 2 years, only now have these '3rd parties' decided to disable the video altogether.

Now I can agree that it infringes copyright to upload complete TV episodes/movies etc, but Ive always considered it fair to have fanmade videos viewable as long as you notify where the song is from. Lately it seems as if copyright is getting a bit out of hand on youtube.

Now, most of my videos have been disabled and Im getting an overload of messages from fans asking me what happened :p As well as an unfortunate 'audio swap' situation with my most popular video yet, which is getting people a tad confused.

Any thoughts?

EDIT - Wrong thread, possible move to general chat? God knows why I was in 'Underworld' >_>

Changeling
23-01-09, 16:39
Um, I think this would be best suited for General Chat, seen a it has nothing to do with TRU XD;

But yeah, I don't really like the new Copyright Laws on YouTube. I just don't see why it's happening NOW all of a sudden, and it's really annoying. >_>

Laralissa
23-01-09, 16:55
Um, I think this would be best suited for General Chat, seen a it has nothing to do with TRU XD;

But yeah, I don't really like the new Copyright Laws on YouTube. I just don't see why it's happening NOW all of a sudden, and it's really annoying. >_>

I know, I realised that as soon as I clicked 'Submit' :p God, I feel like a Newbie all over again. Ive been away from here for too long haha. Someone please move it *wail*

Yeah, it all seems to have started happening very abruptly. And in the past I used to get notifications saying that yes the song was property of a certain music producer, but they were allowing the video to stay up anyway. Its a shame that doesnt seem to be the case anymore >_> What harm does a fan-video do, honestly? If anything it generates publicity :p

rmecpirate
23-01-09, 17:05
Almost all the videos I have on YT have songs in them, and I give the artists credit. Yet, yeah, after about a year of having my videos up, I was checking through them and noticed over half of them were disabled due to the copyrighting. At this point, I went ahead and had the videos muted and haven't had any trouble since. It annoys me that it happened out of the blue and even when I gave out credit.

TRhalloween
23-01-09, 17:07
I know :( I wish I had the rights to post videos from shows I like.

Spong
23-01-09, 17:10
It's all about money, people. Merely acknowledging copyright means nothing, you've gotta pay the respective companies to use their material.

dox online
23-01-09, 17:12
Here is a tip: Get your own piano! Compose your own music!

Tony9595
23-01-09, 17:13
I know, it´s really annoying some of my vids have been deleted too, one of those were a vid showing an outfit I made :mad:

BTW can you put a link to your youtube´s channel please :) ?

Laralissa
23-01-09, 17:15
Search my name, you'll no doubt find me :p Google even, Im apparently the first result xD

True, it is all about the money, but its a shame when you do legitimately own the cds etc. Besides, they're all overpaid as it is :p

The Great Chi
23-01-09, 17:19
I would say that anything that you put up and is in PURE form can be copied off the internet and that is what Youtube is worried about.

I myself do use musical songs by song artists in my Youtube videos, but I ensure that it is not in PURE form, by either by cutting bits out the song so it is not full length and overdubbing the song with sound effects, which are mainly tomb raider soundbytes, like gunfire, etc.

This makes it not worthwhile for copying the music, yet allows the song to be heard by a larger audience, and if they like it will most likely go out and buy it in a shop or off one of the internet retailers, like i-tunes.

Hence it gives the song artist a lot more free pubicity without fear of copying, which safeguards their copyright.

I feel that gives the best of both worlds for both the song writer and the Youtube video maker :D

If Youtube are still not happy with this solution, and who's to say where they want to draw the line, well it would look like the future would be MIDI versions of songs, that are not quite as good as the real ones :o

Laralissa
23-01-09, 17:21
You have a good point there... anyone able to find me a MIDI version of 'Far Away' by Nickelback? Rofl xD People have been going insane since I had to audio swap the music for that video. I dont even know who the new artist is myself, but it was my only option if I didnt want the video to be removed altogether >_>

Spong
23-01-09, 17:23
Owning a legitimate CD means nothing either. Buying a CD just gives you the right to listen to that CD privately, not broadcast it to others in a public way. I agree that fanmade stuff should be largely left alone regardless of what material is used. Those kinds of videos are done out of a love for whatever the subject may be and, if nothing else, it's free advertising.

But that means nothing to these people. They want your money for the privilege of using their material in a public manner.

Laralissa
23-01-09, 17:26
The fiends >_<

trtrailerman
23-01-09, 17:29
everyone knows my veiws right? well tough i'll say it again, this is a sort of unnecessary controll that youtube gives partners just so they can feel powerful, they deleted animated croft: holiday just because a small clip of madonnas song was used, not only did this advertise the song but its also in the credits that hardly any1 watches (appart from warner obviously their lives r fulfilled) and when i hear songs on youtube that i like i usually end up getting them on itunes so whats the point in deleting extra help?

spikejones
23-01-09, 17:33
i can see Youtube going the way of Napster before long to be honest. There's just too much ability to pirate music and footage from youtube - what with all the tools out now to download youtube videos and extract the mp3 track, or even to convert to iPod video. Granted there are a few original works on youtube that would be worthy of doing something like that with, and as the owner/creator put it up there for the purposes of sharing with the world for free - they most certainly would not mind (or at least are aware of) you downloading it to your machine.

But those great works are hard to come by as most people who have a full original work are just the people who sit in front of their little web cam and rant about this and that - or its something like this:

XX45MHn4fM0
( a compilation of my video and rowanlim playing the piano) - I dont think anyone will want to "pirate" this;) But I still find it better than "leave britney alone" type videos.

The Great Chi
23-01-09, 17:45
You have a good point there... anyone able to find me a MIDI version of 'Far Away' by Nickelback? http://www.eadcentral.com/go/1/1/0/http://www.midimole.com/popular.php?page=F :tmb:

click on artist N, then nickelback, will give all their midi songs.

I also use MIDI in my videos where it is appropriate and fits in with the action. You can get some half decent MIDI versions if you search.

TR FAN 18
23-01-09, 17:53
I don't like the new Copyright Control, I HATE IT! :hea:
Sure, I can understand music videos, full concerts and whole songs being posted on YT. But another annoying thing that's been going on is that Guitar Hero vids are being deleted too. YES, GUITAR HERO! :mad:
What's their problem with GH vids all of a sudden?! People are not trying to post the full song to listen to. They're only showing the note chart and 100% on Expert songs.
Even some Rock Band videos have been deleted too. This copyright control is getting well... OUT OF CONTROL! Just leave it for music vids and full songs, but LEAVE GH and RB alone!

spikejones
23-01-09, 17:56
i personally think that we need to implement a photobucket embedding feature here.;)

better quality and no waiting for "verification"

Changeling
23-01-09, 18:22
I've also now noticed that a lot of the videos that I had favourited are now gone, which is MEGA annoying >_>

Seriously, I just don't get why they do it. If YouTube was just a place where people video blogged and made their own original videos, it would be SUCH a boring place. Not even half the people who are on it now would go on it!

Pan
23-01-09, 18:22
Hey guys

Just wondering what your opinions on Youtube Copyright control are? I myself have a channel where I upload fanmade Final Fantasy Videos (Final Fantasy footage along with a song of some kind) - in all cases I make sure to state where the footage was taken from, along with the correct ownership of the song (Eg - Property of UMG). However, despite the fact that in some cases my videos have been up for over 2 years, only now have these '3rd parties' decided to disable the video altogether.

Now I can agree that it infringes copyright to upload complete TV episodes/movies etc, but Ive always considered it fair to have fanmade videos viewable as long as you notify where the song is from. Lately it seems as if copyright is getting a bit out of hand on youtube.

Now, most of my videos have been disabled and Im getting an overload of messages from fans asking me what happened :p As well as an unfortunate 'audio swap' situation with my most popular video yet, which is getting people a tad confused.

Any thoughts?

EDIT - Wrong thread, possible move to general chat? God knows why I was in 'Underworld' >_>

I got that for I video I Lara music video I made to pink panther music :(

2kool4u
23-01-09, 18:31
@ the Great Chi Nope, even when i edited a video without its pure form it was stilll taken down. YT is just being douches. They are letting the most famous people on youtube keep their **** up but are targeting the other people. What do you think would happen if that Numa Numa guy's video was taken down?

Lara Coft Baby
23-01-09, 18:36
Mostly the only videos you can post up. Is of you singing your own songs. Playing an instrument. But not every one can do that. Or post up home videos or video blogs. But i dont think alot of ppl are gonna wanna put there face and voice on the web. I know I dont, you never know who is watching. So basically if you cant put up fan made tributes. Then i think youtube might loose some members. And there wont be as many videos. But thats just my opinion

Laralissa
23-01-09, 18:37
@ the Great Chi Nope, even when i edited a video without its pure form it was stilll taken down. YT is just being douches. They are letting the most famous people on youtube keep their **** up but are targeting the other people. What do you think would happen if that Numa Numa guy's video was taken down?

O_O The end of the world as we know it xD

Encore
23-01-09, 18:48
Most of the videos in my favourites haven't been deleted, and they're mostly music videos of bands. Probably, they aren't popular enough for the big guys to worry about (only ones that were deleted were the most famous, from The Killers).

Anyways, this situation is so backwards and silly... Lots of people will stop using the site and YouTube will most likely fade away into oblivion just like Napster; and to think YouTube was once considered a revolutionary tool in personal freedoms of expression! But then again so was Napster......

allie9x
23-01-09, 20:04
Yeah I hate it. I hate youtube, I hate UMG - thanks to them I had a rejected video straight away which I spent atleast a day on. :hea: I mean, its not even the whole song, so people cant download it.

Just have to hope that youtube and people like UMG realise how unfair they're being.

If you owna vid with music from SMG, they still let you post the video, they just add a few adverts around it

Why cant UMG do the same ?! :cen:

sandygrimm
23-01-09, 20:12
:( more and more are disappearing .. nooooo