PDA

View Full Version : Bets are in for the best Lara Croft make-over

Jin Uzuki
24-01-09, 03:06
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/migdumaual/grlcff.jpg

Itís no secret that Eidos has plans of making over Lara Croft after the bomba that was Underworld. In fact, itís generated quite a lot of impassioned buzz, especially from female gamers. Justin Towell of Games Radar is one such impassioned gamer, only heís not a she. Instead of damning Eidosí intention of changing Laraís image though, he gives the ailing publisher some creative ideas to make Lara more accessible to select audiencesÖand we canít help but feel that he just has to get out there to be the next Toby Gard. What say you?

Hop on (http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/f/how-to-make-lara-croft-more-family-friendly/a-2009012292852906029) to Games Radar to see for yourself.

_Awestruck_
24-01-09, 03:10
I don't see how this warrants a new thread, but these are kinda funny. Lol.

Tear
24-01-09, 03:25
wow.

Legend Killer
24-01-09, 03:36
You can't be serious about this. :confused:

Immortalis08
24-01-09, 03:46
:vlol: I think it is more of a sarcastic article meant to humor Eidos. However, I do like Mum's Lara sans all the protective gear and whatnot! :D

_Awestruck_
24-01-09, 03:50
I still don't see how this should have it's own thread.
As much as I enjoy a good laugh, this useless mimicking has to end. The LAST thing I see Eidos making Lara is family friendly. It wouldn't make sense since in the past 8 games she's either been a sex symbol, a badass, a basket case, or all three.
They could have also made these look like Lara.

Jin Uzuki
24-01-09, 03:55
I must be bad at sarcasm. No one detected it. :(

tha_mattster
24-01-09, 04:15
the lara for lil sis looks the same as lara in the TRU anyway

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2009/01/Family%20Friendly%20Lara%20Croft/KidzLara--article_image.jpg

Gladous
24-01-09, 04:22

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2009/01/Family%20Friendly%20Lara%20Croft/KidzLara--article_image.jpg

A Bratz Lara? :vlol:

Megalith
24-01-09, 08:31

Haha,indeed...:vlol:

RAID
24-01-09, 08:51
The only make over Lara needs is to be the old AOD Lara, and none of that "I'm daddy's little girl" stuff.

Family friendly to me translates more childish games = bad idea.

Lara never needed the make over. The series does. Move away from the old gen gameplay, and innovate like Ubisoft did with Assassin's Creed.

TRJTA
24-01-09, 12:09
Lara should look bad-ass, sexy, stylish and cool, which is exactly how AOD Lara looked. OMG they just got her so right in AOD. I was immediately in love with AOD Lara in 2003

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/angelofdarkness_postcards3/screen4.jpg
^Roaar...thats the Lara i love^
http://i.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraiderunderworld_model_renders_02/screen002_nm.jpg
Even though I absolutely love realistic graphics...the new Lara in a way looks more cartoonish than AOD Lara,
and she has such a weird faceshape:S

Finally in AOD Core got Lara right, dark, not childish and serious,
and Crystal put her into a much more innocent little girl...not cool, not lara

Cactusman
24-01-09, 12:24
The make-over will kill TR. The problem with TRU was not the character, but more the timing of the release imho. Some variation of the current Lara has lead to 7 fairly to very successful titles. The one time where they tried to alter her image and personality significantly (AOD), they failed miserably.

Canon Lara: 7 out of 8 success stories.
Redesigned Lara: 1 out of 1 failures.

Look at PoP, they waited for three years after the new trilogy to release a new game and it is doing very well. TRU's lack of success has more to do with casual fans having had enough of Lara for a while.

dream raider
24-01-09, 12:42
The more they try to make tomb raider accessible to a wider audience, the more the sales sink (and for a good reason; the game doesn't live up to it's standard). So... why are they doing this?

January_Snow*
24-01-09, 12:43
youre right cactusman, I also beleve that the games would be more succsesfull if there was a bigger time gap bettween them, launching games year after year isnt the best sollution...plus with a more time graphics and the whole game could be better...crystal did a great job with tru graphics imagine what would it look like if it was realesed much later...also gamers would start to miss lara so they would be more keen to buy the game...

as for the make over, its just a joke...

Cactusman
24-01-09, 12:51
If, and it's a big if, they really wanted to try something different with the TR franchise, they could just focus a game on an alternate character.

Take TRU's doppelganger for instance. They could release a game from the perspective of the "evil Lara" without messing up the persona of the real Lara.

Lee croft
24-01-09, 13:43
The more they try to make tomb raider accessible to a wider audience, the more the sales sink (and for a good reason; the game doesn't live up to it's standard). So... why are they doing this?

and if a game dont live up to its own standard then there really is something wrong

aileenwuornos
24-01-09, 13:53
and if a game dont live up to its own standard then there really is something wrong

Well put!

Squibbly
24-01-09, 13:54
Jeez. I think they should leave Lara and TR alone for a little while. Lara doesn't need any more surgeries, and the game itself doesn't need all these changes. If they drastically change anything for the new TR, we may just have another AOD, and I don't want that Lara or game.

You know what I think would have helped Underworld a lot? Having the PS2 version released on time! So many people are PS2-ers, and had they been able to put it out at the same time with the next-gen consoles and PC, that 1.5 million sales in the first month would have been higher. 1.5 million isn't even bad, they were just aiming way too high with Underworld, it was released at a horrible time when really popular games were being released, and were missing one of the console releases.

It isn't Lara or gameplay that made Underworld not succeed as much as hoped, because Legend did wonderfully and it was the same kind of deal there. Legend was released in April 2006 with not much competition and had a good three years work on it. It felt polished, and as much as I love Underworld, that polished feeling was absent.

Please leave my TR & Lara alone for a while. :(
I'm totally fine with Crystal Dynamics working on the series further, but maybe Eidos shouldn't be part of it anymore...

January_Snow*
24-01-09, 14:08
^^

totally agreed leave crystal with the series but change the publisher, tr will be back on its feet in no time! :D

Catracoth
24-01-09, 14:13
When they say "make Lara more female friendly", the only thing I can think of that they can do to make her more female friendly is to decrease the size of her breasts. There's nothing else I can think of, really.

MMAN
24-01-09, 14:16
:vlol: :vlol::vlol:

NightWish
24-01-09, 15:51
i wish i found this funny... but i am really starting to get worried

TRhalloween
24-01-09, 16:01
Why are people taking it so seriously? :vlol: It's obviously supposed to be funny.
And by the way, just because Lara tries the whole doe-eyed thing and makes herself look "dark" doesn't make her "badass". Those are just words that are thrown around. You can't look at someone and say they're badass. It's in their personality, mostly. Personality is what AoD Lara missed out on. But if image matters the most...

Candee Sparks
24-01-09, 16:34
That's not embarrassing or anything...

Gotta love the comments people made on the article too, thankfully it's not as harsh as the remarks for articles about Tomb Raider on Gamespot get.

NightWish
24-01-09, 17:48
the article itself is funny yes. And I would laugh if there wasn't a risk for something like this to actually happen. SO many ridiculous decisions have been taken lately I just don't know what could be coming