PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton's NY Senate seat replaced by Kirsten Gillibrand

Ward Dragon
24-01-09, 05:03
Paterson, the governor of New York state, had to appoint a replacement for the Senate now that Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of State. He chose Kirsten Gillibrand. She is relatively unknown, but seems well-spoken in the news footage I saw. She appears to be a conservative Democrat, which is an interesting choice because it draws in support from conservatives of both parties but it gains her enemies from the more liberal end of the Democratic party. I am very interested to see where this goes.

I saw this news on the TV and I had trouble finding articles about it online. I'm looking for more information about who she is and what she stands for. In the meantime, here's the article I saw which has the most information:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/22/new-york-gov-paterson-rep-gillibrand-clintons-senate-seat/

Edit: It appears that she voted against the bailout both times, so I think I like her :tmb:

http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=65147

Kittypower
24-01-09, 05:58
She reminds me of a younger hillary clinton, although she is a little to gun friendly for my taste.

Ward Dragon
24-01-09, 06:49
She reminds me of a younger hillary clinton, although she is a little to gun friendly for my taste.

She has a conservative streak which appeals to conservatives of both parties but has earned her some liberal enemies such as Carolyn McCarthy. From the article I posted before:

The appointment lasts until 2010, when a special election will be held to fill the final two years of Clinton's term. U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, who wasn't among the 10 to 20 people Paterson said applied for the Senate appointment, immediately criticized Gillibrand, saying her support of more conservative issues such as gun ownership rights was out of step with most New York Democrats.

McCarthy, a popular, proven politician whose husband was slain and son wounded in the 1993 Long Island Rail Road shooting massacre, says either she will challenge Gillibrand in a primary next year, or find a younger candidate to enter the contest.

I tend to take it as a good thing that she doesn't vote 100% with either party. I hope that means she has her own principles that she's willing to stand for and she won't just do what a party tells her to do.