PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah?

Twiin
25-01-09, 14:15
I'm not sure what to do to get a poll sorted out, so if anyone does?

Hallelujah. Great song, no? But who's version is the greatest?!

The original by Leonard Cohen? The version which made it famous - Jeff Buckley? Rufus Wainwright's version which featured in Shrek? The newly released Alexandra Burke single from the X-Factor? Or another of the countless covers released over the years?

Let the battle commence...

Mad Tony
25-01-09, 14:17
I didn't exactly like the original, but it's still waaaay better than Burke's single. How did that get to the Christmas number 1 spot?

digitizedboy
25-01-09, 14:24
^ Because she was the winner from that lame X-factor comp?

VonCroy360
25-01-09, 14:29
Jeff Buckley's version is my favourite. Beautiful. :hug:

Mad Tony
25-01-09, 14:30
^ Because she was the winner from that lame X-factor comp?I never understood why the winner of the X-Factor always get the Christmas number 1. It's stupid.

Archetype
25-01-09, 14:35
Jeff buckley's is the best

Twiin
25-01-09, 14:54
I never understood why the winner of the X-Factor always get the Christmas number 1. It's stupid.

I understand why, but that's not to say I like it! Leon who? Steve whatshisface? Shane W-haaat?

Personally, I prefer the Rufus Wainwright version - not because it's on Shrek, but I just like how his voice keeps in time with the music. The Buckley version doesn't do it for me.

Angelx14
25-01-09, 14:58
I'm not sure what to do to get a poll sorted out, so if anyone does?

Hallelujah. Great song, no? But who's version is the greatest?!

The original by Leonard Cohen? The version which made it famous - Jeff Buckley? Rufus Wainwright's version which featured in Shrek? The newly released Alexandra Burke single from the X-Factor? Or another of the countless covers released over the years?

Let the battle commence...

His version is the best

john_york
25-01-09, 14:59
Jeff Buckley's version every time.

Alexandra 'X-factor' Burke should be strung up for that awful catterwauling piece of crap she produced. Utter tripe.

TRhalloween
25-01-09, 15:05
I'm kind of sick of every version of that song. I hate how they've capitalized on Jeff Buckley's death in those adverts.

Trigger_happy
25-01-09, 15:17
I've got to say that Alex Burke's version is really awful. I know that if you cover a song, you should try to make it your own, but yeah, I think she sort of got told to murder it- even she thought that!

My favourite version is one by Kate Voegele. Its not perfect, and as with most covers, I doubt its better than the original, but I like it.

rT_1Xzr0d7Q

bivvy
25-01-09, 17:38
I first heard Rufus Wainwright's version on Shrek, since then it was my favourite. Burke sucks.

Nannonxyay
25-01-09, 19:08
Wainwright's version is lovely. The X-Factor butchered it.

I don't really like Jeff's version, but at least it doesn't make my ears bleed like Alexander's one. Why couldn't she have released her cover of Listen or something, it was much better than turning such a soft, sad song into a crappy, pop power ballad. Ugh. I seriously hate it when people change the style of songs that are just NOT meant to be in a different style. It was soft and sad for a reason. It wasn't meant to be uplifting, for god's sakes.

I mean, with Listen, that's actually meant to be a power ballad, so her singing it was perfect because she sings power ballads. Just, don't turn soft, sad songs into a power ballad.

Smog
25-01-09, 19:15
I've got to say that Alex Burke's version is really awful. I know that if you cover a song, you should try to make it your own, but yeah, I think she sort of got told to murder it- even she thought that!

As written by Charlie Brooker, it's now doomed to be a song played at the funerals of idiots.

Nicky
25-01-09, 19:21
I love Elisa's version, got to love her version more than any other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nZYXW7HKg

If you don't know her, you should check her out. A fantastic italian singer/songwriter. :)

oocladableeblah
25-01-09, 19:25
I like k.d. lang's version it's on itune idk who the artis is, but I like that version.

Neteru
25-01-09, 19:28
^Er, the artist would be K.D. Lang then.

oocladableeblah
25-01-09, 19:30
^Er, the artist would be K.D. Lang then.

Well duh I mean like I have never heard of them or what type of music they do or anything about them.

Neteru
25-01-09, 19:36
Oh, I see what you mean. K.D. Lang is great. Um, kind of country origin music wise.

SilviaIsMyHero
25-01-09, 21:56
I like almost all versions, but Alison Crowe's version is my favorite. Alexandra's version is okay, but nothing special. And I'm one of the rare people who think original is better than Jeff Buckley's version.

irjudd
25-01-09, 23:49
I dislike every version I've heard.

erosan
26-01-09, 00:11
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQu9rP7xwI

imogen heap

Alive_and_Funky
27-01-09, 18:02
I haven't heard many versions, although I do think Jeff Buckley's rendition is awesome... But who needs Hallelujah when you've got Grace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siNsgbIWhAQ) which I think is even better. :D
I love Buckley's cover of The Boy With the Thorn in His Side (originally by The Smiths) too.

Regarding Alexandra Burke's version, I think the song is sung out of context. Isn't Hallelujah supposed to be sad and not celebratory?

Big E
27-01-09, 20:37
Well, Leonard Cohen is the man, but Jeff Buckley does a sweet cover.

laralover_07
27-01-09, 20:40
Jeff Buckley. And forgive me for thinking Alexandra Twirp and Whiney Lewis were the same person.

x2crazyidiot
27-01-09, 21:40
Jeff Buckley every time. The raw emotion in it is outstanding

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQu9rP7xwI

imogen heap

wow this is a really interesting cover! I love Imogen Heap :D

touchthesky
27-01-09, 21:48
Amanda Palmers version!

ZBVT6zO4LUk

:]