PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians?

aileenwuornos
26-01-09, 13:55
I don't know if this is the right thread group for it (although I assumed so being general chat :)) but, I was just curious to see who all the vegetarians/vegans are in this forum.

I'm one of them obviously :)

woody543
26-01-09, 15:34
im not but my mum's bf is and my uncle is a vegan

Benguitar
26-01-09, 17:35
I am not a vegetarian, I have nothing against them, but It is just not my choice and I think it can be unhealthy to not eat meat. :wve:

oocladableeblah
26-01-09, 17:38
Nope not a vegetarian I could never live without meat. I like hamburgers too much :D plus you need the protein in the meat.

Nannonxyay
26-01-09, 17:40
I'm not a vegetarian, but I can understand people who choose to be Vegetarian/vegan. I just don't like it when people call me a murderer for eating meat, if I'm a murderer, than you must be too for eating vegetables that in a way are alive too.

Joely-Moley
26-01-09, 17:47
I am! :)
Been one since I was 11 years old. I will be 21 in March.
I love it. I would love to go vegan.

edit: I am not one of those crazy vegetarians *cough PETA cough* who looks down on people who do eat meat. It's a choice for me on something I feel strongly about but I would never force my views on anyone else -that's lame, and it's veggies like that, that give the rest of us a bad name.

For the people who don't know, it actually is very healthy if you eat a healthy balanced diet.

jamieoliver22
26-01-09, 17:47
I am not a vegetarian. I've got nothing against people being vegetarian but I hate it when people try and force it down your throat and make remarks for eating meat (not really happened personally, but in general).

We have been eating meat every since we were put on this planet though, it is only recently people have turned against it. I can understand why, especially how some meat is obtained nowadays. My step-dad is a manager of a local butchers, so we get fresh meat all the time.

sheepydee
26-01-09, 17:55
Im a vegetarian have been for a few years now :D i could never go back to eating meat

Mad Tony
26-01-09, 18:05
I'm not a vegetarian, but I can understand people who choose to be Vegetarian/vegan. I just don't like it when people call me a murderer for eating meat, if I'm a murderer, than you must be too for eating vegetables that in a way are alive too.I agree. I have no problem with the civil vegetarians and vegans, even though I myself can't fathom how anybody would want to adopt those lifestyles, particularly the latter. It's the ones that, as you said, call you murderers for eating meat that annoy me.

Neteru
26-01-09, 18:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/manypersonae/raisebrow.gif Rather interesting to note that someone makes a thread asking about the vegetarians on the board, and it gets filled with posts from non-vegetarians *****ing about militant vegetarians or expressing how it's somehow wrong or unhealthy.

viper456
26-01-09, 18:43
Im not vegetarian, im pescatarian. I have my own reasons for it, one of them being its a good way to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle :) Think what you want; I'm happy! :D

MattTR
26-01-09, 18:44
I'm definitely not one, in fact, I'm the opposite! :vlol: I hate vegetables and have all my life (or as far as I can remember), so that's makes me a carnivore? Wow, that sounds fierce.

Anyways doesn't make me unhealthy at all, I work out and exercise, and get plenty of protein and vitamans. :D

Bumio
26-01-09, 18:46
im vegetarian and loving it :)

Joely-Moley
26-01-09, 18:50
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/manypersonae/raisebrow.gif Rather interesting to note that someone makes a thread asking about the vegetarians on the board, and it gets filled with posts from non-vegetarians *****ing about militant vegetarians or expressing how it's somehow wrong or unhealthy.

ahah I know right? There's what, three people in here who are generally interested in vegetarianism.
It's sad, there seems to be a lot of misinformed people out there.

TombRaiderCool
26-01-09, 18:55
I am a pescatarian, I have been a vegetarian in the past though, since the age of 6 I adopted the lifestyle. It definitely makes me feel happy and healthier. :)

kthnxbai
26-01-09, 19:19
I've been a vegetarian for the past 6 years..... And there are actually very few vegetarians who try to get others not to eat meat...
It's a very small minority and it's unfair for people to label all vegetarians in the same way.

I'm personally just not comfortable with eating meat... If others want to it's well within their rights to do so.

And for anyone who says vegetarianism is unhealthy, they're very wrong indeed.... We've all been told that meat is necessary to be healthy but it really isn't.

Protein can be found in plenty of other sources, cheese, nuts and pulses....
Thing I find that, if you're not a vegetarian, you probably don't eat many nuts and pulses, so you only have one source of protein.
The only thing which can be troublesome for vegetarians, and in particular for girls, is getting enough iron....
Though I've never had a problem with getting enough...

I think it's fair to say that most vegetarians tend to be healthier than most meat-eaters because they're more concious of what they eat.

bivvy
26-01-09, 19:24
I've got off meat for 3 months now as a challenge set by my parents. I've noticed how the lack of meat boosted my Happy Meter. But then on one hungry day I glanced at a chicken sandwich on my sister's unguarded plate and all hell broke loose.

One of my friends claim to be vegetarian yet she eats fish. I need to define the word again for her. :rolleyes:

Joely-Moley
26-01-09, 19:43
One of my friends claim to be vegetarian yet she eats fish. I need to define the word again for her. :rolleyes:

I hate that!

My girlfriends cousin was talking to me about how she would love to become vegetarian because she feels at guilty what happens to the animals, but then went on to say that it would be ok to eat chicken and fish ‘because they don’t suffer much’ ...

Night Crawler
26-01-09, 19:43
Vegetarians are my favourite kind of meat.

TombRaiderCool
26-01-09, 19:44

She would be a pescatarian then. :)

Neteru
26-01-09, 19:47
Vegetarians are my favourite kind of meat.

:vlol: They say corn fed is always better.

tomblover
26-01-09, 19:50
I love corn and broccoli. I don't really eat any other vegetable, I dunno, I just don't like veggies. :vlol:

I love meat. :p

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 01:30
Im a vegetarian have been for a few years now :D i could never go back to eating meat

Yay! I've been a veggo for three years now, originally for taste reasons (I moved out of home, couldn't afford meat, tried it again and it was REVOLTING! Like going without junk food for a while and then having it again haha) then I developed one of those so-called "annoying" ethical and environmental conscious and now it's borderline vegan.

I used to be one of those people who said they could never give up meat and that humans were meant to eat it - pretty much every veggo in the world has said that :D

Im not vegetarian, im pescatarian. I have my own reasons for it, one of them being its a good way to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle :) Think what you want; I'm happy! :D

im vegetarian and loving it :)

Yay, I'm glad you two know the diffference :) It really annoys me when I hear people say "Oh, I'm a vegetarian but I still eat X"
I was never a big seafood fan even when I did eat meat.

I hate that!

My girlfriends cousin was talking to me about how she would love to become vegetarian because she feels at guilty what happens to the animals, but then went on to say that it would be ok to eat chicken and fish Ďbecause they donít suffer muchí ...

Well, depending on where you're from this may or not be true. Idk, I know the U.S.A still uses factory farms and a couple of other countries do. But I don't get how anything with a central nervous system can "suffer less".

It's great to see there are like, at least four or five vegetarians on this board and a fair few blocked ones :P

I've recently read Living Among Meat Eaters and I've found it really insightful/informative. I HOPE I'm allowed to post links now :

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=GpMM2SpeLpcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=living+with+meat+eaters

for a limited preview.

I'm definitely not one, in fact, I'm the opposite! :vlol: I hate vegetables and have all my life (or as far as I can remember), so that's makes me a carnivore? Wow, that sounds fierce.

Anyways doesn't make me unhealthy at all, I work out and exercise, and get plenty of protein and vitamans. :D

Hehe, MattTR, eating a LOT of meat doesn't make you a carnivore! It just makes you someone who eats a lot of meat :P

Fdx Croft
27-01-09, 02:07
not at all, but my diet is 95%: fruits and vegetables... and the rest meat (but i dont like so much, actually)

Ikas90
27-01-09, 02:16
I'm quite the opposite of vegetarian, lol. I can't live without meat! I'm such a carnivore.

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 02:24
not at all, but my diet is 95%: fruits and vegetables... and the rest meat (but i dont like so much, actually)

If you don't like it so much why do you still eat it :P

I love your crypt keeper icon. :D

I also love it when people say I'd die without meat or I can't live without meat - haha, the vegetarians on here seem to be doing a good job :ton:

erosan
27-01-09, 02:29

Yeah, it's kind of sad actually.

I am a vegan and it's probably one of the best decisions i have ever made for myself. I hate ignorant people more than anything and I wish they could think before they say stupid comments about the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I have gotten a lot of **** throughout this process unfortunotely.

Anyway im interested why people became vegetarians/vegans =]

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 02:32
Yeah, it's kind of sad actually.

I am a vegan and it's probably one of the best decisions i have ever made for myself. I hate ignorant people more than anything and I wish they could think before they say stupid comments about the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I have gotten a lot of **** throughout this process unfortunotely.

Anyway im interested why people became vegetarians/vegans =]

I second this motion. Kudos for you for the veganism - I've been trying to cross that border for over a year now and I always end up slipping up with a pizza or something when I'm wasted on the weekends :P
I make a mean bean casserole and cherry pie though :D

How about you? Why'd you make the switch? I put my reasons above :)

erosan
27-01-09, 02:41
Even before i was a vegetarian/vegan, it didn't feel right eating animals. So simply put, the reason is animal rights. I think it's wrong and completley unnecessary for billions of animals to die every year just for us. Anyway i dont want to get much furthur into it. This is my opinion, and i'm not trying to shove it in other's faces. This is just my reason for my lifestyle.

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 02:44
Even before i was a vegetarian/vegan, it didn't feel right eating animals. So simply put, the reason is animal rights. I think it's wrong and completley unnecessary for billions of animals to die every year just for us. Anyway i dont want to get much furthur into it. This is my opinion, and i'm not trying to shove it in other's faces. This is just my reason for my lifestyle.

Well technically this is the vegetarian/vegan thread so I guess this is the right place to post it :P
And I agree totally. Like I said before, I started off with something as simple as taste and then I grew a conscious so to speak :P
Animal rights/liberation are a huge passion of mine heh.

EmeraldFields
27-01-09, 03:01
I'm a half vegetarian I guess.:p The only meat that I eat is either fish or chicken. I don't eat swine or bovine. I've just never had the taste for meat.

I buy many soy products that are used to replace meat and they taste quite yummy!:) I don't like soy milk, however. I don't eat butter. I use margarine instead. I don't fry any of my foods either. I've grown up eating pretty healthy, so I've never had trouble trying to keep a balanced diet.:)

Tihocan9
27-01-09, 03:14
No, but my best friend is and she gets sick quite often and her doctor says it is from malnutrition. I am all for people wanting to not eat meat and I am fine with it I just dislike it when I have been called evil or cruel to animals because I eat them, its the circle of life, humans are natural predators in the food chain.

I don't think i could ever do it just because I love meat to much and the fact that I would never be able to keep myself healthy cause I would never remember to take vitamins or supplements.

erosan
27-01-09, 03:18
Animal rights/liberation are a huge passion of mine heh.

yeah same ^_^

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 03:57
No, but my best friend is and she gets sick quite often and her doctor says it is from malnutrition. I am all for people wanting to not eat meat and I am fine with it I just dislike it when I have been called evil or cruel to animals because I eat them, its the circle of life, humans are natural predators in the food chain.

I don't think i could ever do it just because I love meat to much and the fact that I would never be able to keep myself healthy cause I would never remember to take vitamins or supplements.

She's probably not eating a balanced diet then :(
If you eat a good balanced vegetarian/vegan diet you don't really need to take supplements.

Betal
27-01-09, 06:17
I just have one question. Why are people vegetarians?

The excuse that animals suffer doesn't work anymore.

When a animal kill another animal in the nature it suffers. So what's the difference. We have killed animals just to eat them since we came to this world.

So why stop now?

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 06:38

When a animal kill another animal in the nature it suffers. So what's the difference. We have killed animals just to eat them since we came to this world.

So why stop now?

I've always found animal suffering quite a good reason actually. I didn't know it wouldn't work :ton:

iamlaracroft
27-01-09, 06:44

So why stop now?

Because wild swine don't sexually abuse other wild swine with electric cattle prods, slice their noses off or gouge out their eyeballs with feces-covered serrated knives--while completely conscious.
Because wild cows don't hoist other wild cows upside down by their hooves on assembly lines to skin them, de-bowel and bone them while completely conscious.
Because wild cows don't inject other wild cows with natal hormones that cause them to lactate year-round, despite the fact that they, like humans, only produce milk when pregnant/with calf.
Because wild chickens don't force other wild chickens to live from the moment their born in one standing-room only wire cage or slice off their beaks so they can't peck other wild chickens when they become desperately frustrated in their captivity.

R e s e a r c h.

It gets old, quick. Four pages and the majority of the posts don't contribute one iota to the subject of the thread, or the OP's question.

I'm vegan and am very happy, healthy, and quite well fed. Believe you me, I don't go hungry. ;)
Humans aren't carnivores by nature, actually. Our stomach acids are not meant to break down the fats, proteins and enzymes found in animal meat. Meat (or rotting flesh, as I like to call it:p) sits in the stomach and intestines, often times undigested, attributing to many of the intestinal, digestive and stomach problems meat-eaters endure--IBS and constipation notwithstanding.

On average, in just one year of not consuming meat, dairy or any animal products, one person can save 200 animals. :tmb:

dox online
27-01-09, 06:45
Same with me.
I don't eat fish BTW so I AM a true vegetarian.
I don't even TOUCH meat!
I hated it when galaxy bars went temporarly non- vegetarian as I loved them when they were vegetarian.
I am not a vegan because I love dairy and other animal products (Not if an animal has died because of it!)

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 06:46
Because wild swine don't sexually abuse other wild swine with electric cattle prods, slice their noses off or gouge out their eyeballs with dirty serrated knives--while completely conscious.
Because wild cows don't hoist other wild cows upside down by their hooves on assembly lines to skin them, de-bowel and bone them while completely conscious.
Because wild cows don't inject other wild cows with natal hormones that cause them to lactate year-round, despite the fact that they, like humans, only produce milk when pregnant/with calf.
Because wild chickens don't force other wild chickens to live in standing-room only wire cages or slice off their beaks so they can't peck other wild chickens when they become desperately frustrated in their captivity.

R e s e a r c h.

It gets old, quick. Four pages and the majority of the posts don't contribute one iota to the subject of the thread, or the OP's question.

I'm vegan and am very happy, healthy, and quite well fed. Believe you me, I don't go hungry. ;)
Humans aren't carnivores by nature, actually. Our stomach acids are not strong enough to break down the fats, proteins and enzymes found in animal meat. Meat (or rotting flesh, as I like to call it:p) sits in the stomach and intestines, often times undigested, attributing to many of the intestinal, digestive and stomach problems meat-eaters endure--IBS and constipation notwithstanding.

On average, in just one year of not consuming meat, dairy or any animal products, one person can save 200 animals. :tmb:

I think I want to have your babies now. If I didn't believe that the earth was horribly overpopulated as is ;)
Well said. You did what I was too lazy to do. :ton:

Shrantellatessa
27-01-09, 07:18
I'm not, but I don't really like meat :wve:

woody543
27-01-09, 16:18
I completely understand vegatarians, and know for some people it can also be a hygine choice as well as cruelty, well in the views of my mum's boyfriend

what i dont understand is vegans, and there reasoning, and i know that it can make you ill, (my uncle) and i dont see any.

Just a question to those people who are vegetarians; and have children, i was just wondering how you would bring them up? I say this as my mum's bf has 2 children who he has brought up to be vegetarians and has never fed them meat, but has always said if they want to they can, which at first i thought that thats good.

However, his children are very fussy like most children and will not eat any vegetables, which is usual and there are alot of alternatives, however they also dont eat any cheese milk, and infact they only thing they do eat is tomato pasta, chips and chocolate, and will only eat pizza if it has little if no cheese. Now i know this is very healthy and did infact ask him once where they are getting there calcium and other things from, and turns out they are constantly on medication with things like protein and calcium deficency. Now this to me seems very unhealthy especially as they are growing very quickly.

Another point is that, they believe themselves that they are vegetarians, and often say so, and do say things like "ew" and "yuck" when I order meat. I did express my anger at this, even though i dont mind eating meat or at what they say, but i do believe they should be taught basic manners. And also the fact that they are saying that they are vegetariand when I know for a fact they are eating meat on a daily basis in the form of geletin in sweets, which he is willingly buying for them and letting them believe they dont have meat in. I mean surely if they are vegetarians and are so because they dont like eating animals, surely they should be told. How would you like it if someone was shoveling meat down your throat?

dox online
27-01-09, 16:29
You might want your children to try Quorn™ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn)
I don't understand vegans either.

sheepydee
27-01-09, 16:30
I don't understand vegans either.

why not? i used to be one :p, im just vegetarian now though :p

TRhalloween
27-01-09, 16:34
Are you a vegan when you don't use materials that come from animals? If so, I don't know why that would be hard to understand.

TombRaiderCool
27-01-09, 16:37
Are you a vegan when you don't use materials that come from animals? If so, I don't know why that would be hard to understand.

Yep, basically any products that comes from an animal they won't eat, wear or use. :)

dox online
27-01-09, 16:37
Some things like milking cows don't kill them does it?

TRhalloween
27-01-09, 16:41
Some things like milking cows don't kill them does it?

I still drink milk. I'll make sure to filter animals out of my clothes shopping list though (yay shopping(!) T_T)

Though, some cows are purely born for creating milk and sometimes it's how milk is made that turns off vegans.

Joely-Moley
27-01-09, 16:41

So why stop now?

I became one because I saw a video of how they kill the animals and it made me feel sick. I was only 11 years old at the time and couldn’t bring myself to eat meat anymore.

So I don’t understand how my choice of not eating animals because I don’t like how they are tortured and brutally murdered for food is an excuse that doesn’t work.
The difference in the animal kingdom, they kill other animals to survive, they simply cannot survive without meat, we can.

I’ve also found since being vegetarian I’m far healthier than I was when I ate meat, so there goes that misinformed idea that it isn’t healthy. (Not directed at you personally), I want to stress this to people who don’t know . Vegetarianism is very healthy, as long as you eat properly. A proper balanced diet where you make sure you get the protein from other food sources such as nuts. Lentils pulses etc.

It’s a personal choice, and I find your statement pretty ignorant just because you don‘t understand why people chose to be vegetarian. I’m not forcing my views down your throat, I’m only telling you because you asked why. I respect the fact you eat meat, so is it hard to respect the fact that I don’t?

Joely-Moley
27-01-09, 17:04
It wasn't that one no. I can't even remember what it was or where I saw it. It was about ten years ago I saw it. Scarred me for life haha

dox online
27-01-09, 17:14
Was it more detailed?
I only ever have free range milk and eggs.

Joely-Moley
27-01-09, 17:17
Well, I didn't watch it all. So probably not, it was just a bunch of random clips of animals getting butchered aliveÖit was horrible.

Iíd love to go Vegan one day.

laralauraxxx
27-01-09, 17:17
i'm vegetarian, i have been since i was 6. :)

digitizedboy
27-01-09, 17:22
I could be vegetarian. I mean there's substitutes like soya and quorn that you can marinade with sauces or spices. Just like you can with meat. But then again, it's no substitute for the real thing. ;)

RockSteady101
27-01-09, 17:22
I don't know if this is the right thread group for it (although I assumed so being general chat :)) but, I was just curious to see who all the vegetarians/vegans are in this forum.

I'm one of them obviously :)

I'm not, nothing better than a big peice of meat inside of you imo. :tmb:

LMFAO! :D

I kid I kid, i'm not a veggie but my sister is though. ;)

dox online
27-01-09, 17:24
I could be vegetarian. I mean there's substitutes like soya and quorn that you can marinade with sauces or spices. Just like you can with meat. But then again, it's no substitute for the real thing. ;)
I like it more.

woody543
27-01-09, 17:31
I was just wondering what ethical reasons vegans have to not drink milk. I mean when a cow has calf they start naturally producing milk, for the calf, however they tend to produce alot more milk than is needed, and eventually the calf no longer needs it and this then stays in the udders and can quickly become infected and cause the cow harm, its a natural thing

Joely-Moley
27-01-09, 17:42
I was just wondering what ethical reasons vegans have to not drink milk. I mean when a cow has calf they start naturally producing milk, for the calf, however they tend to produce alot more milk than is needed, and eventually the calf no longer needs it and this then stays in the udders and can quickly become infected and cause the cow harm, its a natural thing

Dairy cows are artificially inseminated. When they give birth depending on the sex the calf is either put in to a veal crate if male, and if female it’s put back into dairy or beef production. The cow gets pumped with hormones to artificially increase milk production.
The machine milks the cow for as long as possible until she stops producing milk, then the process starts over with the cow being artificially inseminated again.
When the cow starts to lose profitability she is sent to the slaughterhouse to become food.

and this from a vegan site "No animals drink milk from other species. There is no doubt that human milk is healthy for babies, but other animals are breastfed throughout their lives"

So thats the logic behind not drinking milk.

Neteru
27-01-09, 17:44
Please do not post clips or link to sites that could prove distressing to some members. Thanks.

sheepydee
27-01-09, 18:03
Please do not post clips or link to sites that could prove distressing to some members. Thanks.

i know i saw this thing called kill it cook it eat it OMG THAT WAS SO SCARY I WAS ALMOST GREETIN AND EVERYTHING :( i was well sick too :S

dox online
27-01-09, 18:18
Sorry, I will get my caning now.:smk:

erosan
27-01-09, 19:04
Dairy cows are artificially inseminated. When they give birth depending on the sex the calf is either put in to a veal crate if male, and if female it’s put back into dairy or beef production. The cow gets pumped with hormones to artificially increase milk production.
The machine milks the cow for as long as possible until she stops producing milk, then the process starts over with the cow being artificially inseminated again.
When the cow starts to lose profitability she is sent to the slaughterhouse to become food.

and this from a vegan site "No animals drink milk from other species. There is no doubt that human milk is healthy for babies, but other animals are breastfed throughout their lives"

That's pretty much it.

A lot of people think that milk and eggs dont directly kill animals, which is true. But the process of milking the cows and getting the eggs out of the chickes leads to their death because of the way they are treated.

The whole logic and reason behind veganism is usually to not associate with the harm of the animals, in any way.
Also, whoever says that being vegetarian/vegan makes people sick, they need to get their story straight. If people eat right to make up for the meat (or dairy products) they can be very healthy. Just because one person gets sick because of it, doesn't mean that everyone does

woody543
27-01-09, 21:26
Hmm interesting points, and im not going against vegetarians or vegans but imo, drinking milk has been a part of life for hundreds of years, along with eating meat, and a long time ago, people had to eat these things in order to survive, as things most vegetarians and vegans would eat wouldnt have been widely available.

I do admit that the milk and meat industry is far to big and therefore i understand how it could be related to cruelty for animals. I personally prefer, and I know this may sound crude, but am more for sustainability.

Joely-Moley
27-01-09, 21:32
Yeah, I wasn't trying to change your opinion or anything, just trying to explain to you why vegans donít drink milk, haha. Did my best to explain it the reasoning behind it.

Again this is just a case of you have your views and I have mine ;)

Love2Raid
27-01-09, 21:48
I have never enjoyed eating meat after my first anatomy class..........:p

Sometimes a bit of chicken, but that's it. I am not a vegetarian, I just don't like meat. :)

woody543
27-01-09, 21:52
Yeah, I wasn't trying to change your opinion or anything, just trying to explain to you why vegans donít drink milk, haha. Did my best to explain it the reasoning behind it.

Again this is just a case of you have your views and I have mine ;)

haha fair enough, i have strong views against meat eaters aswell, like you get these people who eat meat, and call vegetarians and yet refuse to except that the thing on there plate is actually an animal.

For me I know that what I am eating is an animal and you could show me hundreds of pictures of little lambs whilst im eating lamb and I wouldnt flinch. But when you get arrogant people who eat meat, call vegetarians but when they see a picture of a lamb they get put of their food and go and be sick

aileenwuornos
27-01-09, 23:46
Was it more detailed?
I only ever have free range milk and eggs.
Free range pretty much never really means "free range". If you want relatively cruelty free milk and eggs - make them yourself ( and by that I mean get a chicken and get her to lay you eggs etc) or buy organic. And really do your research on organic. I personally think it's a load of crap, but I am one of those moral veggos.

Dairy cows are artificially inseminated. When they give birth depending on the sex the calf is either put in to a veal crate if male, and if female itís put back into dairy or beef production. The cow gets pumped with hormones to artificially increase milk production.

Pretty much. It always drives me insane how many people think milk appears out of thin air.

Hmm interesting points, and im not going against vegetarians or vegans but imo, drinking milk has been a part of life for hundreds of years, along with eating meat, and a long time ago, people had to eat these things in order to survive, as things most vegetarians and vegans would eat wouldnt have been widely available.

I do admit that the milk and meat industry is far to big and therefore i understand how it could be related to cruelty for animals. I personally prefer, and I know this may sound crude, but am more for sustainability.

I'm taking a wild guess that English isn't your first language. Most vegetarians and vegans do actually eat things that are widely available - the basis of most veg*n (vegetarian and vegan) diets is in fact fruits and vegetables - available pretty much anywhere. There have been hundreds of vegetarians and animal rights activists through out history.

A veg*n diet is the most environmentally friendly and long term sustainable one for the planet. The amount of water the U.S Beef industry uses in a year could give a third world nation water for ten years (I can't remember the exact figures, however, I've only just gotten up) and other statistics like that.

Sometimes a bit of chicken, but that's it. I am not a vegetarian, I just don't like meat. :)

Yay, I'm so glad you know the difference, so many people don't :)

croft94
28-01-09, 00:32
I'm not exactly a vegetarian, but that what I tell people because is too hard to explain that I only eat fish and some chicken:)

aileenwuornos
28-01-09, 00:41
Then you're not really a vegetarian at all. You're a pescatarian. There's a big difference.

I thought I made this thread to discuss vegetarian and vegan issues, not see who wants doesn't want to give up eating meat and who is but isn't a vegetarian.
:mad:

croft94
28-01-09, 00:47

So why stop now?

Because wild swine don't sexually abuse other wild swine with electric cattle prods, slice their noses off or gouge out their eyeballs with feces-covered serrated knives--while completely conscious.
Because wild chickens don't force other wild chickens to live from the moment their born in one standing-room only wire cage or slice off their beaks so they can't peck other wild chickens when they become desperately frustrated in their captivity.

R e s e a r c h.

Humans aren't carnivores by nature, actually. Our stomach acids are not meant to break down the fats, proteins and enzymes found in animal meat. Meat (or rotting flesh, as I like to call it:p) sits in the stomach and intestines, often times undigested, attributing to many of the intestinal, digestive and stomach problems meat-eaters endure--IBS and constipation notwithstanding.

You're my hero <3

Then you're not really a vegetarian at all. You're a pescatarian. There's a big difference.

I thought I made this thread to discuss vegetarian and vegan issues, not see who wants doesn't want to give up eating meat and who is but isn't a vegetarian.

o.0
sorry...

Nefertiti_89
28-01-09, 00:47

Is it ok if I just ask something?:o

Currently pescetarian/poultrytarian but I want to become vegetarian because eating meat and chicken and fish is just so unsustainable, but what I want to ask, is what should I replace meat with in order to keep my protein levels up?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm sick of having to check up on whether or not my meats are sustainable!

EmeraldFields
28-01-09, 01:02
Is it ok if I just ask something?:o

Currently pescetarian/poultrytarian but I want to become vegetarian because eating meat and chicken and fish is just so unsustainable, but what I want to ask, is what should I replace meat with in order to keep my protein levels up?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm sick of having to check up on whether or not my meats are sustainable!

SOY PRODUCTS!:D

I don't know what brands you have in Australia, but I eat MorningStar Farms (http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/) products.

I'm not trying to be a commercial, but some of my favorites:

Veggie Bacon Strips
Veggie Sausage Links
Veggie Sausage Patties
Grillers Original
Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Original Veggie Dogs
Southwestern Style Veggie Cakes

All of these are a great source of protein.

Here are some tips for going meatless! Clicky! (http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/veggieeating_article.aspx?id=1)

aileenwuornos
28-01-09, 01:08
Well, I'm glad you've asked ;0

There are a lot of things, most people are in danger of actually getting too much protein (due to the Western love of high meat diets) than not getting enough.
Read, read, read. I can't say it enough - there are MILLIONS (okay, well not millions) of books on vegetarian diet, nutrition, philosophy and animal liberation.

The things I like best (because I'm lazy and hate cooking) are mushrooms, lentils, chickpeas and beans because these take the least amount of cooking. You'd be surprised how much protein comes in things like wholemeal/grain breads etc.
If you're feeling up to the task (and I don't really recommend tofu to beginner veggos cos there is definitely a trick to cooking it right) then there are things like tofu, soy "meat", if you live in the US you have Quorn, and there's things like seitan and tempeh too.

Check out

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm - is the best resource for answering your question :)

http://www.goveg.com/ - for recipes, ideas and meeting your meat (warning this link may contain images/videos which some viewers might find distressing... imagine how those animals must feel!)

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/nutshell.htm - for all about vegetarian/vegan nutrition

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/health/nutrition/20well.html?_r=3&ref=health&oref=slogin&oref=slogin - has great vegetable cooking advice

to croft94: Sorry if that came off rude, I'd just gotten up and finding a thread that I made to discuss certain issues full of "Your lifestyle is XYZ" and "I'm a vegetarian but I still eat chicken and fish" just gets my goat first thing :ton:

plus it's that time of the month so I'm more than my usual level of grumpy.

You could always use a term I found in a Cosmo a few months ago "flexitarian" - someone who generally doesn't eat meat but might have dead fish or dead chicken occasionally.

Smog
28-01-09, 01:09

Hello up there! I bet you can see for miles from your moral high ground. You don't happen to be in possession of any leather products, do you? Because that would be rather ironic. I'm going to eat this pie now. :D

*prepares for slating*

It's not that I'm against vegetarians in general, but this kind of gratuitous self-righteousness, designed to strike guilt into the hearts of us inhuman meat-eaters, does get on my nerves rather a lot.

aileenwuornos
28-01-09, 01:14
Hello up there! I bet you can see for miles from your moral high ground. You don't happen to be in possession of any leather products, do you? Because that would be rather ironic. I'm going to eat this pie now. :D

*prepares for slating*

It's not that I'm against vegetarians in general, but this kind of gratuitous self-righteousness, designed to strike guilt into the hearts of us inhuman meat-eaters, does get on my nerves rather a lot.

Haha, I used to be like you too. Then I went vegetarian and totally understood what all the fuss was about. When you make the switch it suddenly becomes so clear why so many vegetarians ARE like that. Plus that's kind of just fact. That's how they treat the animals that end up on your dinner plate. Some people, like us, do choose to take what we think is the moral high ground because compassion is a trait that transcends species.

Oh and Nefertiti89. I didn't realise you're in Australia. We have ****loads of awesome meat replacements that come in from Asia (try Crispy G, it's like guilt free popcorn chicken!) and Sanitarium. I love Sanitariums soy dogs, veggie roasts and fillets.

There are plenty of things out there. You just need to learn to cook.
That for me was the best thing about going vegetarian - my parents refused to cook for me, so I had to learn to do it myself.

I know I'm not a mod, but seriously. If you're not a vegetarian or vegan or at least prepared to talk about it in a positive light/think about going it why do you even bother posting in this thread.

Thorir
28-01-09, 01:17
I only taste men...
Raw... Fresh... :mis:

:mis:

If you think I'm talking about broccoli, you're wrong.

Nefertiti_89
28-01-09, 01:17
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm already very into the soy sausages etc. I've not eaten a normal sausage since I was 6.

I'll check it out :)

aileenwuornos
28-01-09, 01:19
I only taste men...

EL OH EL. Hahah, I think you just made my day :P

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm already very into the soy sausages etc. I've not eaten a normal sausage since I was 6.

I'll check it out :)

You're very welcome. Vegetarian sausages are probably x10 better for you than the real ones anyway. Not being filled with snouts and intestines and all :eek::eek:

Smog
28-01-09, 01:22
I only taste men...

You know what I hate? Lying sushi. I bought some sushi for lunch once at Marks and Spencer and written on the back in small print was "does not contain raw fish." What the hell? :(

Vegetarian sausages are probably x10 better for you than the real ones anyway. Not being filled with snouts and intestines and all :eek::eek:

You should try Haggis. Sheep's heart, liver and lungs wrapped in its stomach and boiled. Tasty! :cln:

aileenwuornos
28-01-09, 01:28
You know what I hate? Lying sushi. I bought some sushi for lunch once at Marks and Spencer and written on the back in small print was "does not contain raw fish." What the hell? :(

You should try Haggis. Sheep's heart, liver and lungs wrapped in its stomach and boiled. Tasty! :cln:

If you don't have anything of significant value to contribute to this thread, why don't you go find something else to do with your time?

digitizedboy
28-01-09, 01:31

I'd probably try that one of the days... blindfolded

Tyrannosaurus
28-01-09, 01:38
Then you're not really a vegetarian at all. You're a pescatarian. There's a big difference. Pescatarians are vegetarians in the same sense that Unitarian Universalists are religious.

That's exactly how the, uh, human who posts for me feels:

I can't tell you anything more disgusting than the tasteless consistency of chicken. Eating it is a chore. And dissecting fetal pigs, frogs, and cats showed me that their muscular tissue is the same material. When you're eating a chicken sandwhich, just remember there's part of corpse between the slices of bread.

Thorir
28-01-09, 01:40

Non-raw sushi? :D
I have never tried it, and have no wish of trying it. I haven't tasted fish since I was 6 years old and have no plans of trying it.
The thought is repulsive. I despise sea food.

Haggis alone is a good reason to avoid Scotland. Screw the whisky. :D
I will rather eat grass, thank you.

Here in Norway we have something equally insane. Decapitated boiled sheep head. Really, only tourists are stupid enough to eat it though.
Local people; WHY eat boiled head?
Tourists think it's normal human behaviour.

I guess maybe people ate it in like 1780 or something, maybe?
Poor German and Japanese tourists. :(
I have never met a person who has tried it. Poor, POOR tourists. :(

EmeraldFields
28-01-09, 01:45
I can't tell you anything more disgusting than the tasteless consistency of chicken. Eating it is a chore. And dissecting fetal pigs, frogs, and cats showed me that their muscular tissue is the same material. When you're eating a chicken sandwhich, just remember there's part of corpse between the slices of bread.

Whenever I eat meat, which is rare, it has to look like it came off a shoe not an animal.:p Everything has to be extremely well done. It looks disgusting when I see someone eating a steak rare!

aileenwuornos
28-01-09, 02:01
Whenever I eat meat, which is rare, it has to look like it came off a shoe not an animal.:p Everything has to be extremely well done. It looks disgusting when I see someone eating a steak rare!

Hahah I was the same back when I ate meat. Mine was always like charcol. Not propane hahaa.

Quasimodo
28-01-09, 03:01
Just a thought - whenever I see "militant vegans/vegetarians" sharing footage and pictures of suffering animals, I can't help but be reminded of "militant pro-lifers" who picket in front of abortion clinics carrying posters of horribly mutilated fetuses. Seems like such shock tactics frighten people away from you more times than they'll attract people to your cause.

Suzan
28-01-09, 11:08
drinking milk has been a part of life for hundreds of years
Haha, I hope people do know that it is VERY rare for an adult human being to be able to drink milk. I am one of those mutants who can, but here in Finland it isn't that rare. Although I don't buy cow's milk anymore, I use soy products...

Quasimodo: It is true that you need to know how to act if you want people to be INTERESTED in what you have to say, not scare them away or make all vegetarians look like idiots. I see alot of those annoying, preaching and bashing morons on finnish forums, but here the case seems to be different, thank goodness. Vegans who go around calling meat eaters 'murderers, ignorant, worthless' etc. make my head explode. I don't want people to think that all vegetarians/vegans are idiots who are too proud of their choices to see that not all people share the same views!

Whatever the case is that you want to discuss and share your opinions about, do not insult those people who think differently. It will make them think "dammit, I'll eat even MORE meat now just to **** you all off!" And most importantly... get your facts straight. Those abortion-people are a good example, they don't know how to do it - they put pics of like 8months old fetuses in front of your face and tell you that "THIS IS WHAT IS DONE EVERY DAY! They're violently ripped away and murdered!" And all I can do is ROFL and try to tell them that no honey, it doesn't go like that. At least in Finland. I wish people always did enough of research about the subjects they so like to go preaching about.

D'oh, this was about vegetarians. Sorry.

I don't eat meat because of my health. And because my gf doesn't.. I'm not a proper vegetarian though, I don't buy meat but I can eat it if it would end up in a trash can otherwise. I mean, I'm not even close to a proper vegetarian, because I only stopped buying meat and milk, but that's about it. At least it's better than nothing, and I've saved alot of money. Many, many euros a week. Meat is so much more expensive than soy products. And I enjoy vegetarian food alot, and haven't missed meat at all. It doesn't taste amazing enough for me to miss it. Plus I feel better now that I know there isn't any rotting meat in me. Vegetables, rye bread and all that is so much better for you. :)

Joely-Moley
28-01-09, 17:21
Hello up there! I bet you can see for miles from your moral high ground. You don't happen to be in possession of any leather products, do you?

hmm.
I just love when someone postís complaining how they hate self righteous vegetarians and what not then proceed to try and disgust the vegetarians in the thread in an attempt to be funny.

Kinda get's on my nerves a lot. ;)

IceColdLaraCroft
28-01-09, 18:43
I live near where PETA is based. I think it's funny how a lot of them smoke. sure they wont kill animals, but they'll ruin the environment. There was also a case where a PETA employee released a lobster into BRACKISH water killed the thing.

What you eat is up to you. We could feed more people if we used grazing land set aside for cattle as land to grow more plants. It is difficult for your body to digest meat (it essentially has to rot before red meat will be digested), but given all the chemicals in snack foods and hormones in milk people don't really eat a "healthy" as they think they are.

kthnxbai
28-01-09, 20:13
Just a thought - whenever I see "militant vegans/vegetarians" sharing footage and pictures of suffering animals, I can't help but be reminded of "militant pro-lifers" who picket in front of abortion clinics carrying posters of horribly mutilated fetuses. Seems like such shock tactics frighten people away from you more times than they'll attract people to your cause.

You have to remember though, it's only a very small percentage of vegetarians or vegans who do stuff like that....

You're gonna get extremists in every single group within society.

And, not that I want to start talking about abortion, it's not the time or place, but for the most part, the pictures prolife people show are examples of the minority of cases.
However, nearly all animals who are used for products are mistreated...

It's actually quite horrible...

And not directed to you personally, but....
As much as I would never try to force anyone to change their diet or lifestyle if they didn't want to, I think people should definately try to buy ethically produced meat... usually organic is more reliable than free range...

And for people who think vegetarianism or veganism is unhealthy, I'll say it again, most veggies/vegans are healthier than others....

How many vegans do you know who eat Maccy D's or chocolate or take aways?

There seems to be an awful lot of people who are rather uninformed about vegetarianism... and who have preconceived notions about it and are usually quite wrong....

k, overly seriousness is gone now :D

I became a vegetarian about 6,7 years ago now. I just didn't feel comfortable with eating meat..... Hell, most of the time I feel guilty bout eating vegetables..... lol.... more due to my guilt complex than anything else...

Andariel
28-01-09, 20:19
Some meats eaters have said I'm pretentious etc and that I should get over myself. I just say get over your ego-trip and let me live my life how I want to live it. I don't shove my lifestyle (vegan) down anyone's throat.

jarhead
28-01-09, 20:24
I only taste men...

eh?? Broccoli??

Anyway, I'm not a vegetarian but don't tuck into meat like its a huge food group either. Dont have a problem with eating meat what-so-ever except the thought of eating hearts and kidneys is a bit odd for me.

woody543
28-01-09, 20:40
I'm taking a wild guess that English isn't your first language. Most vegetarians and vegans do actually eat things that are widely available - the basis of most veg*n (vegetarian and vegan) diets is in fact fruits and vegetables - available pretty much anywhere. There have been hundreds of vegetarians and animal rights activists through out history.

A veg*n diet is the most environmentally friendly and long term sustainable one for the planet. The amount of water the U.S Beef industry uses in a year could give a third world nation water for ten years (I can't remember the exact figures, however, I've only just gotten up) and other statistics like that.

English is actually my first language, sorry if it didn't make that much sense, I was very tired, and should really proof-read my messages.

Anyway, what I meant when i said widely available, was that all fruit and veg products are seasonal or specific to certain countries, therefore a few hundred years ago the food that most vegans eat as a balanced, healthy diet today, would not have been available back then, when everyone grew their own food and ate their own animals that they had raised.

When i said sustainable, I meant economically, milk and meat is the only source of income for some farmers, and like I mentioned earlier with veg being seasonal a lot of it is being imported from foreign countries, adding to the carbon dioxide emisions.

iamlaracroft
28-01-09, 23:22

*prepares for slating*

How is the truth moral high ground?
If these facts were on the packaging of Big Mac's or on the menu at Steak Houses, no one would have an appetite for meat. But it's much easier to live blissfully ignorant than it is to actively seek out and uncover disturbing truths. Cuz, you know, then you'd have to feel feelings, reactions and conscience stuff. And that's so not en vogue. :whi:

Nice knowin' ya, Smog. :wve: :rolleyes:

Feather Duster
28-01-09, 23:33
Anyway, I'm not a vegetarian but don't tuck into meat like its a huge food group either. Dont have a problem with eating meat what-so-ever except the thought of eating hearts and kidneys is a bit odd for me.

Ditto, but chicken is my weak point!

Smog
29-01-09, 01:36
How is the truth moral high ground?
If these facts were on the packaging of Big Mac's or on the menu at Steak Houses, no one would have an appetite for meat. But it's much easier to live blissfully ignorant than it is to actively seek out and uncover disturbing truths. Cuz, you know, then you'd have to feel feelings, reactions and conscience stuff. And that's so not en vogue. :whi:

Nice knowin' ya, Smog. :wve: :rolleyes:

Modern slaughter methods (at least in the UK) are designed to kill the animal as quickly as possible, usually by mechanical bolt or asphyxiation. Cows aren't "skinned, boned and de-bowled" while still conscious - alive, yes; conscious, no. I'll agree that some establishments slaughter inhumanely, and much of it is needlessly brutal and sadistic, but there are Animal Rights laws in place to deal with that. Because it's illegal. If you don't like the idea of eating an animal that's been killed for food, fine. Frankly, I don't much like to think about it. But legitimate slaughter is not as you describe. No need to be so childish about it.

iamlaracroft
29-01-09, 02:13
You haven't done your research then. Practices in the UK and US are very different. The methods in which animals are slaughtered in the US are indeed vile, unnecessarily violent and abusive to the animal.
Slaughter houses most often employ illegal immigrants who are not trained properly--couple that with the sheer magnitude of cattle pushing through, scared and frantic, many cows are not, in fact, "knocked out" with the "humane" stun gun. The worker misses the temple, and often times has to stun the cow several times to knock it out. Many cows slip through fully concsious, due to improper stunning.

Supervision and "animal rights" regulation is virtually nonexistent. These houses are hardly ever up to code, and it is not uncommon for a cow or pig to fall off the conveyor and land in the kill floor sludge--which consists of the bowels, feces, blood, guts and brains of the slaughtered. Laziness and lack of patrol ensures that the cow or pig is hoisted back up on the assembly line unwashed, unclean, covered in fecal matter. This is how E. Coli and other bacterium find their way to you and your Big Mac.

There are pages and pages of documented confessions from ex-employees of these kill factories who admit in detail to sexually abusing pigs with the electric cattle prods, chasing after them on the kill floor with tasers until they suffer cardiac arrest and evacuate their bowels. They describe with delight how they hold the pigs down and slice off their snouts or carve out their eyes and laugh as the pig runs frantically around the kill floor, blood spewing. Without abandon, they confess to knowingly skinning, de-boweling and de-boning cows that are completely and fully concious, moaning and shrieking in agony and unimaginable pain.
This goes on because inspection is infrequent and inadequate and deceitful hierachy prevents any real consequence for these conditions since the meat industry is so closely interwoven with the higher-ups at the FDA.

There's much more disturbing truths to the meat, fast food and corn industries, truths that they are fighting to ensure will never see the light of day. Luckily, there are those who value truth over a bloody slab of rotting flesh, and the facts are getting out slowly but surely.
It's just a matter of caring what truly goes into your body. If you don't care, who will?

Immortalis08
29-01-09, 02:37
Hmm there are some very interesting facts here that have really made me open my eyes. Heh, that book Skinny ***** was right!? Anywho, I have a question.

Say someone like me who has never once eaten a vegetable he liked (I can't, I gag upon chewing one) and has gotten accustomed to tasty fast food and pizza wants to become vegetarian or vegan. Are there any alternatives I can take or options I can have that don't maliciously harm hundreds of animals? Unfortunately I am a person whose top priority when it comes to food is taste. :(

Thanks in advance.

spikejones
29-01-09, 03:02
whaddy spect? its an internet forum and people are going to throw their two cents in regardless of if they are a vegan or carnivore. Not sure if it has anything to do with being vegan or not, but my sister said she isn't going to be eating meat for a while after reading a certain book called "skinny *****" written by some hollistic nutritionist (w/e the hell that's supposed to mean). I just read a few excerpts of it and lemme tell you... the ***** who wrote it is pure evil incarnate. if you want to be happy about yourself - dont read that book.... EVER!

Say someone like me who has never once eaten a vegetable he liked (I can't, I gag upon chewing one) and has gotten accustomed to tasty fast food and pizza wants to become vegetarian or vegan. Are there any alternatives I can take or options I can have that don't maliciously harm hundreds of animals? Unfortunately I am a person whose top priority when it comes to food is taste. :(

Ever tried tofu? It can be prepared quite deliciously actually. Im not a vegan - but I've had occassion to eat quite a few tofu dishes that were delicious. And what about tofu burger? Or soy burger?

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 03:14
Hmm there are some very interesting facts here that have really made me open my eyes. Heh, that book Skinny ***** was right!? Anywho, I have a question.

Thanks in advance.

Vegetables taste x10 better when you're not polluting your body with ****ty fat additives etc etc
It's not that you can't. It's that you don't want to.
Vegetables and fruit are gonna have to be a significant part of your diet if you want to be a healthy veggo. You can live on veggie junk food if you want, but don't try and fool yourself into thinking it's healthier than the real thing.

You haven't done your research then. Practices in the UK and US are very different. The methods in which animals are slaughtered in the US are indeed vile, unnecessarily violent and abusive to the animal.
Slaughter houses most often employ illegal immigrants who are not trained properly--couple that with the sheer magnitude of cattle pushing through, scared and frantic, many cows are not, in fact, "knocked out" with the "humane" stun gun. The worker misses the temple, and often times has to stun the cow several times to knock it out. Many cows slip through fully concsious, due to improper stunning.

Supervision and "animal rights" regulation is virtually nonexistent. These houses are hardly ever up to code, and it is not uncommon for a cow or pig to fall off the conveyor and land in the kill floor sludge--which consists of the bowels, feces, blood, guts and brains of the slaughtered. Laziness and lack of patrol ensures that the cow or pig is hoisted back up on the assembly line unwashed, unclean, covered in fecal matter. This is how E. Coli and other bacterium find their way to you and your Big Mac.

There are pages and pages of documented confessions from ex-employees of these kill factories who admit in detail to sexually abusing pigs with the electric cattle prods, chasing after them on the kill floor with tasers until they suffer cardiac arrest and evacuate their bowels. They describe with delight how they hold the pigs down and slice off their snouts or carve out their eyes and laugh as the pig runs frantically around the kill floor, blood spewing. Without abandon, they confess to knowingly skinning, de-boweling and de-boning cows that are completely and fully concious, moaning and shrieking in agony and unimaginable pain.
This goes on because inspection is infrequent and inadequate and deceitful hierachy prevents any real consequence for these conditions since the meat industry is so closely interwoven with the higher-ups at the FDA.

There's much more disturbing truths to the meat, fast food and corn industries, truths that they are fighting to ensure will never see the light of day. Luckily, there are those who value truth over a bloody slab of rotting flesh, and the facts are getting out slowly but surely.
It's just a matter of caring what truly goes into your body. If you don't care, who will?

Definitely.

It's not like there's ever really a "humane" way to end another sentient beings life. Humane slaughter, organic food and free range are some of the biggest crocks of **** that have ever come out of the meat industry.

Also, I ****ing LOVED Skinny ***** (the fact that half of the books title gets censored out really kinda bugs me), I admired its brutal honesty. If you want to be happy with yourself - learn to be happy enough with yourself not to let other people or things (especially a book) get you down. Hahah. But I suppose the majority of people aren't really good at seeing things how they really are.

Andromeda66
29-01-09, 03:35
This is going to look so out of place here but,

I'm vegetarian :wve:

spikejones
29-01-09, 03:58
thats not out of place at all. this be a thread for talking about vegetarianism;) I personally couldn't imagine myself being a vegetarian. I grew up eating meat - I like it too much. I have nothing against a persons choice to be a vegetarian, so long as they dont go about criticizing me for my own dietary choice. I actually knew a person who I guess you could call a vegetarian by necessity, as they apparently have an allergy to protein.

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 04:17
This is going to look so out of place here but,

I'm vegetarian :wve:

Yay! I'm glad :)

thats not out of place at all. this be a thread for talking about vegetarianism;) I personally couldn't imagine myself being a vegetarian. I grew up eating meat - I like it too much. I have nothing against a persons choice to be a vegetarian, so long as they dont go about criticizing me for my own dietary choice. I actually knew a person who I guess you could call a vegetarian by necessity, as they apparently have an allergy to protein.

Ah blocked vegetarianism =)
I think that's bs about the allergy to protein, kinda need it for cellular repair and to perform basic bodily functions.
But I suppose that's why you italicised the apparently ;)

spikejones
29-01-09, 04:26
I was a bit befuddled by that myself - but I had other things in mind as to protein :mis:

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 04:33
If that person really had an allergy to protein their diet would be extraordinarily limited thats for sure! It's so many things. You'd have to forgo mushrooms and they are amazing so that would suck x10

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483413,00.html
I don't know how appealing that looks to most people but I loved mac and cheese
this looks yummy!

Nefertiti_89
29-01-09, 05:38
I was in the city yesterday just after I asked about some tips from you guys for becoming vegetarian, and when I got off the bus this guy gave me a pamphlet all about it!

Its totally a sign! The universe wants me to veg out!

They were really cool people too, gave me a list of things I can get at coles and everything it was fab!

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 05:45
I was in the city yesterday just after I asked about some tips from you guys for becoming vegetarian, and when I got off the bus this guy gave me a pamphlet all about it!

Its totally a sign! The universe wants me to veg out!

They were really cool people too, gave me a list of things I can get at coles and everything it was fab!

Awesome! I want a list of things at Coles!
They never stock cheezly anymore :(

Nefertiti_89
29-01-09, 05:48
Awesome! I want a list of things at Coles!
They never stock cheezly anymore :(

Yeah I went later and they didn't have half the things on the list, so I had to go to IGA which was more successful but not entirely *sigh*

I was just wondering though, do you eat things with gelatin in them? Because I remember a girl I went to school with refused to eat anything with gelatin because of what its made out of.

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 05:52
Yeah I went later and they didn't have half the things on the list, so I had to go to IGA which was more successful but not entirely *sigh*

I was just wondering though, do you eat things with gelatin in them? Because I remember a girl I went to school with refused to eat anything with gelatin because of what its made out of.

Gelatin rhyme with skeleton for a reason!
That **** is nasty!
I used to use it on my deathhawk but these days I just use hair spray hahha

iamlaracroft
29-01-09, 05:58
The one animal product I do indulge in is honey.
I don't believe that bees endure any cruel treatment in the process of our procurement of their delicious sweet honey :p:D

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 08:07
The one animal product I do indulge in is honey.
I don't believe that bees endure any cruel treatment in the process of our procurement of their delicious sweet honey :p:D

Yucky. I never ever understood why people like honey! Apart from munchie honey cakes and yellow jelly! (note, you can get kosher jelly that isn't made from gelatin, how awesome is that?! and i'm making a bananna in pajama reference more than anything :ton:)
How do you guys feel about sugar?
I know a few vegans who won't use it cos of the bone-char in processing, but, idk. Anyone got any information on that?

iamlaracroft
29-01-09, 08:17
Actually, I really don't even like honey. I don't even know why I mentioned it. I do like a little bit on a really rough, multi grain piece of bread...
But other than that, I don't eat it at all.

Instead of sugar I use agave nectar :cln::p:jmp: *drools*

yummmmm

Angelx14
29-01-09, 08:58
I'm not againts it UNLESS you are a newby parent(s) and you want your child to be one too. :rolleyes: You starve the child till death.

I DO feel sorry for the animals, and no matter how much I hate that, I still eat meat. Because I need it.

Suzan
29-01-09, 12:49

Thanks in advance.

I never ate any vegetables before I became lacto-ovo-vegetarian cos I thought they tasted like nothing. But vegetarians don't eat just slices of cucumber and tomatoes! After I tried some vegetarian foods I had absolutely no reason to start buying meat again.

http://i43.************/55lld.jpg
http://i41.************/2uy3tp0.jpg
http://i40.************/do0x90.jpg
http://i41.************/zvahyu.jpg
http://i43.************/6yzj9g.jpg

Those are some of my favorite food that I've done with my girlfriend. Some are vegan, some not completely (may include cheese etc). Anyhow, all of them are delicious and need no meat in them :D

I really can't understand people who say vegan food doesn't taste like anything... hello, meat doesnt either, you need to use some spices!
My point is, if you drop the meat, you don't have to drop the taste. You get the taste, AND the healthiness :)

allie9x
30-01-09, 15:31
I'm a vegetarian for various reasons, and I've been one since I just turned 5. I dont think its unhealthy in any way since you can get protein from other foods and I do care about animals :D, plus I hate the taste of fish and their eyes used to gross me out when they were dead when I was younger so .. I didnt eat them XD

aileenwuornos
03-02-09, 05:17
I'm a vegetarian for various reasons, and I've been one since I just turned 5. I dont think its unhealthy in any way since you can get protein from other foods and I do care about animals :D, plus I hate the taste of fish and their eyes used to gross me out when they were dead when I was younger so .. I didnt eat them XD

Yay! :)

Mr.LadyCroft
07-02-09, 00:55
What's the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan?

Joely-Moley
07-02-09, 01:12
What's the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan?

vetetarians don't eat meat.
vegans don't eat any animal product, meat, dairy, and they don't use anything that contains animal products such as certrian soaps and stuff.

Mr.LadyCroft
07-02-09, 01:40
vetetarians don't eat mean.
vegans don't eat any animal product, meat, dairy, and they don't use anything that contains animal products such as certrian soaps and stuff.

Thanks, i've been wondering for quite a while. :)

EmeraldFields
07-02-09, 01:50
I know a few vegans who won't use it cos of the bone-char in processing, but, idk. Anyone got any information on that?

http://www.vegfamily.com/articles/sugar.htm :)

aileenwuornos
07-02-09, 02:34
[/CENTER]http://www.vegfamily.com/articles/sugar.htm :)

Thank you :)
Btw is that Siouxsie Sioux in your av?

EmeraldFields
07-02-09, 02:39
[/CENTER]

Thank you :)
Btw is that Siouxsie Sioux in your av?

Your welcome.:)

Nope, it's Cher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher)!:D

aileenwuornos
07-02-09, 03:14
Hahha, crazy! Maybe my glasses need a looking at ;)

In other news, I was in the mood for a pasta dish the other night, and sadly the restaurant I was at didn't have any non-meat dishes, so I just ordered a Carbonara WITHOUT bacon. The chef added a lot of delicious mushrooms instead x5 :D

jamieoliver22
07-02-09, 09:19
Vegetables eat each other too...

http://fukung.net/images/5806/fruitsandvegetables.jpg

aileenwuornos
07-02-09, 09:25
Vegetables eat each other too...

http://fukung.net/images/5806/fruitsandvegetables.jpg

I actually lol'ed a little when I saw this ;)

EmeraldFields
07-02-09, 15:34
http://i39.************/259yjxu.jpg

LaraCroftRox
09-02-09, 19:02
I'm a happy widdle vegetarian for one year now. :D