PDA

View Full Version : Being British has its disadvantages sometimes...

Eddie Haskell
26-01-09, 21:09
Look (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28857579/).

And as for being American...:)

Trigger_happy
26-01-09, 21:13
Yeap, us Brits being nice meant we snuffed it. And the shovy Americans lived. Imagine if us Brits had been pushy-no one would have survived! :D

Mad Tony
26-01-09, 21:14
"You go first my good chap"
"No, I quite insist that you proceed into the life boat before me".

Paints a funny picture :D

tha_mattster
26-01-09, 21:16
What is the disadvantage? You just used the same logic as those American passengers :p

Even though Americans often speak too loudly in public and dress badly, they tend to be more friendly and helpful than other nationalities.

Agent 47
26-01-09, 21:17

nah! we were just a tad more civilised back then :vlol: shame it all went wrong

Punaxe
26-01-09, 21:20
That does seem like pretty hard data to come by... Did they just use survivors' testimonies? What else could they have based it on?

lararoxs
26-01-09, 21:22

A lot of empty lifeboats then:p Oh wait... the Americans..... Forget that!:p

What is the disadvantage? You just used the same logic as those American passengers :p

Even though Americans often speak too loudly in public and dress badly, they tend to be more friendly and helpful than other nationalities.

The disadvantage my friend, is that while you are politely queing the Americans nabbed all the lifeboats, so your left to fend for yourself in extreme minus tempratures in the sea.

Trigger_happy
26-01-09, 21:28
That does seem like pretty hard data to come by... Did they just use survivors' testimonies? What else could they have based it on?

-There was an expanded article in our papaer. Basically, I think the gist of was that he used textual evidence- as you suggested- and then checked it against the survival rates of people based on where they were travelling- i.e 1st class or steerage-and then groups within each class. In every class, the Brits were found to die more, as they politely queued for the lifeboats, rather than shoving to the front.

digitizedboy
26-01-09, 21:29
lol @ mad tony

What I don't get though is why didn't they push? In a mass panic that's what I thought everyone would do in those kind of scenarios.

illuminati30
26-01-09, 23:12
That was a long long time ago. Believe me, we have just as many people who are only out for themselves, who look after No 1 only as anywhere.

Rai
26-01-09, 23:23
As fun as these statistics are today where none of us are directly effected, what do they prove exactly? It was a tragic accident that may have been averted and many more lives were lost than saved. That should be remembered.

Sorry to be such a party pooper. :o

On a lighter note: go women and children! :p

IceColdLaraCroft
26-01-09, 23:28
I wonder if the "pushy American" was Molly Brown :D

Pan
26-01-09, 23:37
lol, queueing is in our nature :)

Lara's Backpack
26-01-09, 23:45
hehehe, I can just imagine what would happen if Aussie's where on there to, "Oh I dont need to run anywhere do I? Cant you just get me when you found a spare one, I want to finish my beer."

Larapink
26-01-09, 23:56
I disagree, we have such rich history there is no disadvantage.

Hampton Court is quite close to where I live so thats cool right? :D

]{eith
27-01-09, 00:01
God help the Irish.

"Well **** this, in anyways! The bleedin' hack of your boat! Scarlet for it! State of it! I hate it! I'll swim! **** the cold, **** the sharps, I'll bleedin' strool dem! Which is Dublinese for '****ing pulling the heads of dem'."

LaraCablara
27-01-09, 01:02
Well if your on a sinking ship and about to die, I think its smart to be a pushy American.

Larapink
27-01-09, 01:15
Well if your on a sinking ship and about to die, I think its smart to be a pushy American.
True, I guess we are just too polite back then let everyone else go before us. But that's changed now, I guess. The youth here are mostly in gangs and cause alot of trouble, those are mostly the chavs.

Smog
27-01-09, 01:25

If you can disregard the whole "sinking into the ocean/people screaming/blind panic" thing, then I guess so.

Encore
27-01-09, 01:30
Reminds me of "Empire of the Sun". How the british tried to live so orderly in that prisoner camp. :p

Lenochka
27-01-09, 01:33
Sometimes people just have to do what they need to in order to save there family, friends and themselves. In the end, its in us to have our own well being in mind during situations like this.

patriots88888
27-01-09, 01:38
Obviously a thread started to conjure up some kind of TRF UK/US war! :rolleyes: :p

EmeraldFields
27-01-09, 04:31

Well, you snooze you lose!:whi:
:p

Tihocan9
27-01-09, 04:39
Sometimes people just have to do what they need to in order to save there family, friends and themselves. In the end, its in us to have our own well being in mind during situations like this.

I agree, I mean I want as many people to live as there can be and I would never want my life to be at the cost of someone else's but if I was in that situation I am sure I would be panicking and would just want to get out of there, perhaps the British were just better at managing stress.

Catapharact
27-01-09, 06:15
Actually, I have to say that it kinda saddens me at the state Britain has devolved to now as compared to before. Monarcy might have been the deciding factoid I suppose but lets not get into that.

It makes me respect the British folks on the Titanic all much more.

Mad Tony
27-01-09, 07:00
True, I guess we are just too polite back then let everyone else go before us. But that's changed now, I guess. The youth here are mostly in gangs and cause alot of trouble, those are mostly the chavs.That's a bit of a harsh generalzation don't you think? Yes, there are quite a few young people in this country who are nothing more than disorderly yobs, but it's not like most young people here are like that, just some.

Archetype
27-01-09, 09:54
Being British is tough :/

digitizedboy
27-01-09, 10:09
Reminds me of "Empire of the Sun". How the british tried to live so orderly in that prisoner camp. :p

Damn.. it is a bit like that. It would probably take a situation like that (God forbid) for Brits to be more orderly again. Nowadays people seem abrupt. :/

Being British is tough :/

I'm guessing it was tougher back then. Especially with the 1st world war just around the corner and the so-called "Your country needs you!" and whatnot.

rowanlim
27-01-09, 10:19
{eith;3414955']God help the Irish.

"Well **** this, in anyways! The bleedin' hack of your boat! Scarlet for it! State of it! I hate it! I'll swim! **** the cold, **** the sharps, I'll bleedin' strool dem! Which is Dublinese for '****ing pulling the heads of dem'."

:vlol: OMG that's hilarious! :D

:vlol: *clutches her belly*

Malaysians would start selling inflatable boats, I guess :D "Buy 3 for the price of 1!" :D

disneyprincess20
27-01-09, 10:24
A lot of empty lifeboats then:p Oh wait... the Americans..... Forget that!:p

:vlol:

MiCkiZ88
27-01-09, 10:46
Actually, I have to say that it kinda saddens me at the state Britain has devolved to now as compared to before. Monarcy might have been the deciding factoid I suppose but lets not get into that.

It makes me respect the British folks on the Titanic all much more.All I can do is agree. People who act like that even in chaotic/panic situations are worth of respect. I think it's honorable to think of others first before yourself.. something that not many people do anymore.

But eh.. it's in our nature to fight the weak, and in this case the Brits were weak due to just standing there waiting for their turn to get on the boats.

tha_mattster
27-01-09, 11:10
The disadvantage my friend, is that while you are politely queing the Americans nabbed all the lifeboats, so your left to fend for yourself in extreme minus tempratures in the sea.

The original poster said being british has its disadvantages sometimes. Well in the titanic scenario some of the britains were thinking of the collective welfare and acted in a way which would benefit the women and children of their group. So the collective was not disadvantaged by their behaviour.
It's only a disadvantage from an individualist perspective - that was my point. For those britains it was an advantage, because they were helping women and children to escape and by doing so they gained social respect.

Trigger_happy
27-01-09, 16:14
Monarcy might have been the deciding factoid I suppose but lets not get into that.

I'm confused: we still have the Monarchy now and it hasn't really changed. Are you saying that because we still have a Queen we all got pushy now? Or is it the other way round?

Larapink
27-01-09, 16:16
That's a bit of a harsh generalzation don't you think?
I'm British too. :p

It's just what we hear on the news most of the time.

Archetype
27-01-09, 16:19

true :p

I see alot of it aswell

john_york
27-01-09, 16:23
True, I guess we are just too polite back then let everyone else go before us. But that's changed now, I guess. The youth here are mostly in gangs and cause alot of trouble, those are mostly the chavs.

[OFF TOPIC RANT]

How incredibly Daily Mail of you. :rolleyes:

The unnecessary demonisation of young people in this country is appalling and actually making young people more likely to participate in crime simply because of an 'if the media brands them as criminal thugs regardless of their behaviour, why shouldn't they?' attitude.

It's abhorrent and baffling that in this day and age, adults are terrified of contact with children for fear of (a) being branded a paedophile or (b) being mugged.

Young people need decent role models and adults that respect and like them, not constant trashing.

[/OFF TOPIC RANT]

Larapink
27-01-09, 16:44
true :p

I see alot of it aswell
Exactly. :D

[OFF TOPIC RANT]

[/OFF TOPIC RANT]
Lighten up man, it's reality. :p

john_york
27-01-09, 16:47
Lighten up man, it's reality. :p

And how much contact do you come into with young people?

You admitted that you were merely parrotting the rubbish you hear/see in the media and I'm now expected to believe that your, more than likely, limited perspective is reality? Piffle.

And as for lightening up? No thanks, I'll continue to be vocal about something I see as a real problem for our society, not the tosh that's force-fed to us by the media.

Chocola teapot
27-01-09, 16:50
Well go us brits for being polite! I dont understand why people would push. If everyone politely followed orders and remained orderly then more people would have survived.

corey01
27-01-09, 17:03
Well go us brits for being polite! I dont understand why people would push. If everyone politely followed orders and remained orderly then more people would have survived.

True :/

IceColdLaraCroft
27-01-09, 17:14
It reminds me of National Lampoons European Vacation. Clark keeps hitting Eric Idle with his car (who is severly injured) and Eric is just like "no, no I'm fine, my fault"...with like half his leg broken :vlol:

Mad Tony
27-01-09, 17:16
Well said, John York :tmb:

rickybazire
27-01-09, 17:41

:p

I guess we'll have to get used to putting others before ourselves.

*laralover*
27-01-09, 17:47
Well alot of people i meet now a days would be the pushing everyone over type :p

Eddie Haskell
27-01-09, 18:43
It reminds me of National Lampoons European Vacation. Clark keeps hitting Eric Idle with his car (who is severly injured) and Eric is just like "no, no I'm fine, my fault"...with like half his leg broken :vlol:

Heh heh heh, that's what I thought of as well.

All I can do is agree. People who act like that even in chaotic/panic situations are worth of respect. I think it's honorable to think of others first before yourself.. something that not many people do anymore.

But eh.. it's in our nature to fight the weak, and in this case the Brits were weak due to just standing there waiting for their turn to get on the boats.

No doubt about it. I am in my present physical state owing to protecting innocents from harm. Many of my fellow soldiers are either dead or horribly injured doing the same. Self sacrifice is in all of us, it sometimes isn't apparent until the time comes to test you.

The original poster said being british has its disadvantages sometimes. Well in the titanic scenario some of the britains were thinking of the collective welfare and acted in a way which would benefit the women and children of their group. So the collective was not disadvantaged by their behaviour.
It's only a disadvantage from an individualist perspective - that was my point. For those britains it was an advantage, because they were helping women and children to escape and by doing so they gained social respect.

I don't think that the Americans are accused of pushing ahead of the women and children, just the British. I imagine that this is an oversimplification anyway (as usual), and that percentage wise the Americans were more self-serving than the British. Or maybe all things being equal, the American men, women and kids pushed past their British counterparts.

The Great Chi
27-01-09, 19:42
National sterotypes is actually alive and Kicking.

You are going on about USA/UK but it is interesting to watch all nationals.

Civilisation can summed up by a queue and queuing.

Most USA and especially UK persons tend to accept queuing and are most civilised about it :tmb:

Hot climate european peope tend to get irritable and start shouting for the queue to move on quicker, like Italians, Greeks, etc. :tea:

The worlds worst are the Germans who would jump over you to get to the head of the queue, I dont know what they do when they are in a queue in thier own country, go mad maybe. (Sorry Zipper :p)

Carrabean people tend to be laid back and just look at the sunset while still in the queue, or better still dont bother going into the queue ;)

I could go on, but I may upset everyone on the site for telling the truth, so I will stop now :D

Forwen
27-01-09, 20:06
Civilisation can summed up by a queue and queuing.

Funny I always thought that about the ways various nations cross the road.

Trigger_happy
27-01-09, 20:06
I think someone once said "The British are best at tea and queuing". Oh so true.

The Great Chi
27-01-09, 20:36
Funny I always thought that about the ways various nations cross the road.as long as they get across alive :D

PhilfromMaine
27-01-09, 21:28
The results of this study don't shock me one bit. Most Americans sailing on the Titanic had to be wealthy -- there couldn't have been a lot of tourists in steerage going back home. Quite a few of my countrymen today still have this sense of entitlement. There are a number of presidents and CEOs of failing American banks and corporations who don't think they should be held accountable for their horrendous mis-management and have even found a way to still collect whopping bonuses via tax-payer funded government bail-outs. That's not to say there weren't any "me firsts" from 2nd Class. I'm sure there were.

There were some exceptions, of course. Benjamin Guggenheim, John Jacob Astor and the Strausses come to mind. They were some of the wealthiest Americans and they stayed on board. And lets not forget our Canadian neighbors: Harry Markland Molson, the beer heir and director the the Canadian Transfer company went down with the ship as well. On the other hand,J. Bruce Ismay, president of the White Star Line and potentially the author of this terrible disaster managed to find a seat in life boat. He was English.

I think most Americans look to the English as the exemplar when it comes to stoicism and resolve in adverse conditions. Could Hitler have ever been stopped if it hadn't been for those qualities? If England had fallen during the Blitz, I seriously doubt the Allies could have achieved total victory.

All that being said, I think there's a fair amount of good ol' fashioned America bashing behind this study. Maybe it's deserved. Speaking for myself, I can't really say I'm proud of how my government has conducted itself over the last 8 years. The American financial sector has brought the world to the brink of an economic titanic that may take years (or heaven forbid, decades) to straighten out. And irregardless of where you call home, it's us blokes in steerage who are gonna be taking a nice cold dip.

x2crazyidiot
27-01-09, 21:44
that story actually makes me even more proud to be British :D

as harsh as it seems, it's true
I'm just glad I live in a homely area, and thus don't have to deal with the 'real Britain' :p

[OFF TOPIC RANT]

The unnecessary demonisation of young people in this country is appalling and actually making young people more likely to participate in crime simply because of an 'if the media brands them as criminal thugs regardless of their behaviour, why shouldn't they?' attitude.

It's abhorrent and baffling that in this day and age, adults are terrified of contact with children for fear of (a) being branded a paedophile or (b) being mugged.

Young people need decent role models and adults that respect and like them, not constant trashing.

[/OFF TOPIC RANT]

:vlol::vlol::vlol: at the Daily Mail quip :tmb:
but I totally agree
I see nothing in the media about us teenagers without a stabbing or a mugging or a threatening behaviour appearing :o

woody543
27-01-09, 22:38

How intollerent of you, your only view of teens comes from the media, who are famous for twisting things, its ridiculous.

Every generation have had groups of youths who have caused havock and mayhem, but its only with the use of media that everyone has such a bad portrayal of todays youth.

And what your forgetting is that the only reason the youth of today is as it is, is due to their upbringing. The way their parents have brought them up is the main reason they are like that. If anything blame the previous generation for it.

Mad Tony
27-01-09, 22:51
as harsh as it seems, it's true
No, it's not true. It's no where near the truth. Did you read John York's posts?

woody543
27-01-09, 22:55
Not, it's not true. It's no where near the truth. Did you read John York's posts?

I think he is refering to the fact that its true that all we ever see in the media is negative towards youths and that that is all we ever hear on the in the news. Not that its true that all young people are violent. And he probably did read john yorks post seeing as he quoted him.

Mad Tony
28-01-09, 07:14
I think he is refering to the fact that its true that all we ever see in the media is negative towards youths and that that is all we ever hear on the in the news. Not that its true that all young people are violent. And he probably did read john yorks post seeing as he quoted him.Ok, fair enough. But yeah, the news do do that a lot of the time.

x2crazyidiot
28-01-09, 16:24
I think he is refering to the fact that its true that all we ever see in the media is negative towards youths and that that is all we ever hear on the in the news. Not that its true that all young people are violent. And he probably did read john yorks post seeing as he quoted him.

ding!

the only things in the media about us youths nowadays is a stabbing, or drunkard behaviour, etc. It's a shame we're so prejudged :(

Lew
28-01-09, 17:14
pfft **** the americans.... at least the british died with class on the titanic..... just goes to show really.

bivvy
28-01-09, 19:13
pfft **** the americans.... at least the british died with class on the titanic..... just goes to show really.

that's pathetic. although yes they died with class there's no reason to insult americans. :rolleyes:

Terra Inclined
28-01-09, 20:31
how hilariously pathetic. although yes they died with class there's no reason to insult americans. :rolleyes:

aye

Neteru
28-01-09, 20:38
Well I never. Just goes to show what you get when you wait. In your anger you've exposed yourself. OK Bivvy, have it your way.