PDA

View Full Version : What makes a level crash right after it finishes loading?

Dustie
28-01-09, 15:53
I'm doing tests with a certain levelfile...

The TRLE exe crashes to desktop right after the loading bar reaches the end. I know that indicates some sort of problem with the actual level. Anyone have any idea what exactly might be cousing it to crash at that specific moment?

*PH*
28-01-09, 15:55
the level itself?
no lara, too high poly stuff (without TREP),messed up wad
there can be many more reasons

Titak
28-01-09, 16:48
What PH said. :D
Shiny textures on static objects.
Too many textures used in either TGA and/or wad.
Too many objects in view.
Some buggy trigger Lara is standing on when the level starts.
Script is not right. (eg. in the script the level is linked to another wad/tr4 name. For example, your wad/tr4 is called mylevel but in the script it says mylevel1. This means the script can't find the mylevel1.tr4 because it simply does not exist.)
buggy wad (buggy object or somethign like that)

There can be so many things that make a level crash at loading... :(

Dustie
28-01-09, 17:15
The level definately exists - if it's a filename problem, the exe crashes the second it tries loading the level. In my case, I can tell the whole level loads up and the game crashes the moment it tries to 'show' it.

It's not a software/hardware bug either, becouse the game generally works fine on my computer. There seems to be something with the objects in the level or the triggers... Things like that.

The thing is I'm actually trying to get the Tomb Raider 4 demo to work - as neither the original demo or the Vista/XP demo (which actually are the same, I checked the dates on the files!!) works on my computer. There's something very strange I noticed, as it seems for some reason the demo doesn't work becouse of the script file.

I managed to transfer the script entries for the libdem.tr4 into the TRLE script and at first, the TRLE tomb4.exe stopped working, just like it's demo counterpart. That's when I realised there is a connection with the script file. I fixed the libdem.tr4 entries a bit (can't really tell what exactly I changed) and I managed to get the TRLE to run, but then it crashes after loading the level - just like I described. There must be something about the way libdemo.tr4 was built, which in turn makes the demo SCRIPT.DAT specifically different and in turn couses the demo executable to not start.

I even tried messing with The Times executable. I managed to modify The Times script to include the Library level and what happens?
1. If the libdemo is included as the last level in the script, The Times won't even run - another case of 'demo' behavior.
2. If the libdemo is renamed as library.tr4 and entries for The Lost Library are used in the script with the level placed as the first, The Times runs fine, but then crashes after loading the level.

My experiments show just how bound the script.dat is with tomb4.exe. I might try modifing the libdem.tr4 with TRViewer - for example overwriting Lara's animations with ones from library.tr4. We'll see.

I just can't get over playing that demo level, lol.

disapearing-boy
28-01-09, 21:02
Shiny textures on static objects(

Hmmm... does that mean you can't use shiny textures on shatter objects?? i was going to do that but i guess i can't now:(

sorry to hijack someone elses thread but i'm curious now

Kevin
28-01-09, 21:26
does that mean you can't use shiny textures on shatter objects??

When the shatter mesh is imported as Static (in StrPix) then you can't apply shiny textures. Well, you still can but the engine doesn't like that.... :)

But when you import the mesh as Moveable then it is possible to apply shiny textures. But keep in mind that importing as Moveable changes the lighting behaviour. (Lights, shadows, suns have no effect. Only ambient lighting and effects like flares, flames, pistols...)

Dustie
28-01-09, 22:03
^ Umm, I thought moveables (ie. objects in the animating slot) get affected by light from light bulbs, suns etc.?

Yasin
28-01-09, 22:10
But when you import the mesh as Moveable then it is possible to apply shiny textures. But keep in mind that importing as Moveable changes the lighting behaviour. (Lights, shadows, suns have no effect. Only ambient lighting and effects like flares, flames, pistols...)

Wrong.

Inserting statics as moveables is useless and won't help you out. They stay tagged as static. And animatings/movables are affected by light, spotlight, sunlight, shadows =.=. By everything that is actually. Light.

Dustie, my advice is to backup your project + wads and remove your WAD from the folder so the level gets blanc. Then only add a Lara object and see if your level loads. If not, you almost surely crossed a limit, like your level is too large. See list of Titak.

igor32
28-01-09, 22:41
Check this link:

http://www.skribblerz.com/tuts/editorcrashes.htm

See what it can be ;)

Dustie
29-01-09, 00:17
Dustie, my advice is to backup your project + wads and remove your WAD from the folder so the level gets blanc. Then only add a Lara object and see if your level loads. If not, you almost surely crossed a limit, like your level is too large. See list of Titak.

Thanks for the advices, but it was the Tomb Raider 4 demo level I was messing with.

I actually opened the libdemo.tr4 in fexmerger and copied animations from library.tr4 over the demo animations. The level worked in TRLE tomb4.exe with everything messed up - no triggers, no collision on objects, objects misplaced, messed up...

The conclusion? The level format used in the demo is just different - different objects.h and sounds.h have been used to compile it. I would need the very original demo executable to run it - and I can't get it to run, so gonna have to get over playing the demo ever again, I guess.

aktrekker
29-01-09, 08:52
You can try ripping the wad with WadMerger. Then see if TR2Prj is able to extract a project. Then you can fix it up and build it for the LE.

Dustie
29-01-09, 11:16
I did extract the PRJ but a lot of the tiles are messed up. I made a WAD for the libdem.tr4, but it's obviously some different, pre-full version WAD format. When I used it for the PRJ, it seems the objects are all correct in the right places and tom2pc compiles it fine, but then it crashes when loading - I would probably need to replace the demo version of Lara objects with the full version Lara objects (from Library WAD for example)... I might try that later.

It's still too much fuss to just play that level.

Kevin
29-01-09, 14:33
Inserting statics as moveables is useless and won't help you out. They stay tagged as static. And animatings/movables are affected by light, spotlight, sunlight, shadows =.=. By everything that is actually. Light.

Wrong!
Looks like you never tried importing a static as moveable because then you would know it works. And yes, Animatings are affected by lighting I never said the opposite. I was talking about statics imported as Moveable that's completely different to Animatings imported as Static/Moveable.