PDA

View Full Version : What does 'Love' means?

Shark_Blade
29-01-09, 02:36
Got this in my email today, thought I'd share:

What does 'Love' mean?
A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds, 'What does 'love' mean?'
The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

'When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.

So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.'
Rebecca- age 8

'When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
You just know that your name is safe in their mouth.'
Billy - age 4

'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.'
Karl - age 5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.'
Chrissie - age 6

'Love is what makes you smile when you're tired.'
Terri - age 4

'Love is when my mummy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK.'
Danny - age 7

'Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.
My Mummy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss'
Emily - age 8

'Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen.'
Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)

'If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,'

Nikka - age 6
(we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)

'Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday.'
Noelle - age 7

'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.'
Tommy - age 6

'During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.

He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.'
Cindy - age 8

'My mummy loves me more than anybody

You don't see anyone else kissing me to s lee p at night.'
Clare - age 6

'Love is when Mummy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken.'
Elaine-age 5

'Love is when Mummy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford.'
Chris - age 7

'Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day'
Mary Ann - age 4

'I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones.'
Lauren - age 4

'When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.' (what an image)
Karen - age 7

'Love is when Mummy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross.'
Mark - age 6

'You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget.'
Jessica - age 8

And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge.

The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbour, the little boy said,
'Nothing, I just helped him cry'

When there is nothing left, that is when you find out that love is all you need.

spikejones
29-01-09, 02:44
'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.'
Karl - age 5

:vlol: oooh.. you smell so nice timmy. I could sit here and smell you all night :hug:

how cute.

I never had that. :o

CerebralAssassin
29-01-09, 02:49
wow,I would naturally assume those were said by grown ups if you han't mentioned they're from kids.really mature...

well,love for me love is falling down,picking yourself up,dusting yourself off,and continuing fighting.THAT's love!!:p

Larson_1988
29-01-09, 02:55
That was so cute. :)

But to me, love is nonexistent. Certain experiences in the past has proved me that.

Sir Croft
29-01-09, 03:00
How cute, some of them were funnt, some of them were mature and got me surprised that it was said by kids. Too bad some of those kids forget what is love when they grow up.
I can't explain what is love, I've experienced some different concepts of love, and I think that love can be explained by anyone, but it will never be what love actually is, because it changes from person to person, it's unique.

spikejones
29-01-09, 03:05
my past experiences with loving someone has ended up with me having my heart ripped out and stabbed then thrown on the ground stomped on a dozen times thrown in a blender and thrown back at me limp and lifeless.:(

Sir Croft
29-01-09, 03:09
my past experiences with loving someone has ended up with me having my heart ripped out and stabbed then thrown on the ground stomped on a dozen times thrown in a blender and thrown back at me limp and lifeless.:(

Well, that's one of the concepts of love I've experienced; the painful one. But that never made me give up loving someone, even though the girl completely ignored my existance, I still loved her, that remained for a looong time, I suffered a lot, but in the end, she was loving me as well, which resulted in a seven months long relationship.

Shrantellatessa
29-01-09, 03:16
Those are very cute :hug: Thanks for sharing :)

EmeraldFields
29-01-09, 03:17
This helped lighten the mood:hug: Thanks for posting.

Fish.
29-01-09, 03:19
That's so cute, I couldn't help but smile. :o

spikejones
29-01-09, 03:21
Well, that's one of the concepts of love I've experienced; the painful one. But that never made me give up loving someone, even though the girl completely ignored my existance, I still loved her, that remained for a looong time, I suffered a lot, but in the end, she was loving me as well, which resulted in a seven months long relationship.
well the girl for whom I cared and that happened to me - ended up sleeping around with a bunch of other guys. now I never slept with her myself, and she was not really interested in it from what I could tell - so I never pushed the issue. but I cared for her a lot and shared the same bed with her for a while. Me and a buddy took care of her and her sister financially pretty much. But to find out that the one I cared for was out whoring around with other guys was just the last straw!! I got the hell out of dodge after a huge argument. Id seen her around at a couple parties after wards and I was nice enough towards her even though she was a total ***** to me. I doubt I'll ever see her again though - its been years since the last I saw her. And to be honest - if she is still in the party mode that I left behind, I wouldn't have any desire to be with her now.

Quasimodo
29-01-09, 03:26
From what I've heard, love is scary. Especially when it turns out to be one-sided.

Sir Croft
29-01-09, 03:28
^ I think love is scary when people love themselves too much, in a way that even narcissism would be considered normal.

well the girl for whom I cared and that happened to me - ended up sleeping around with a bunch of other guys. now I never slept with her myself, and she was not really interested in it from what I could tell - so I never pushed the issue. but I cared for her a lot and shared the same bed with her for a while. Me and a buddy took care of her and her sister financially pretty much. But to find out that the one I cared for was out whoring around with other guys was just the last straw!! I got the hell out of dodge after a huge argument. Id seen her around at a couple parties after wards and I was nice enough towards her even though she was a total ***** to me. I doubt I'll ever see her again though - its been years since the last I saw her. And to be honest - if she is still in the party mode that I left behind, I wouldn't have any desire to be with her now.

That's sad, but you got over it didn't you?

Shark_Blade
29-01-09, 03:32

I have my fair share of that experience. :pi: The girl I loved married another man. She's been hiding her engagement until I found out about it one day. And I dread fate sometimes because she's working in the same building as me (we are fresh graduates). Everytime I apply for training I have to deal with her and she has those shifty eyes and wouldn't dare look at me. At first she wont' talk to me but now she only look at work papers when talking to me. :rolleyes:

Meh, she's not meant for me I suppose. It's not worth it to get work up and throw tantrum, but the first 2 days of the event definitely shreded me up to pieces. I kept on singing and humming everyday to lift my heart up and hope that one day, I will eventually find my true love and happiness. :)

I have one good quote I'd like to share:

“It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return, but what is the most painful is to love someone and never find the courage to let the person know how you feel.”

At least I did have the courage and let it be known that I did loved her. :)

Shrantellatessa
29-01-09, 03:42
I think love is what can make you either the happiest or the saddest person on earth.

spikejones
29-01-09, 03:55
That's sad, but you got over it didn't you?
time heals all things. yes.
but I was so torn up about it for a while indeed. I felt used and abused. But in time those feelings left.

Sir Croft
29-01-09, 04:04
time heals all things. yes.
but I was so torn up about it for a while indeed. I felt used and abused. But in time those feelings left.

Indeed, the 'healing' process may be long and hard, but when you get over it you realize that person wasn't worth it.

Indiana Croft
29-01-09, 04:35
"Love is when they're the first thing you think about when you wake up and the last thing you think about before you fall asleep"

"Love is when you can tell each other to shut the hell up but sleep in each other's arms that night"

"Love is like a flash light. Sometimes its the only light you have in a world of darkness"

spikejones
29-01-09, 04:43
^aw... isnt that sweet. but I think it should be more along the lines of "love is never having to tell each other to shut the hell up, because you are always interested in hearing their opinion" ;) or at least have the decency to listen and not make any stupid ass remarks.

Immortalis08
29-01-09, 04:48
Aww. This goes to show that sometimes the wisest of us all are in fact the children. :) Sometimes, over the course of our lives and as the years pass by, we lose sight of many important things. Even Einstein admitted that his genius originated from the fact that he was still a child at heart and he questioned the world as a child would.(or something among those lines).

spikejones
29-01-09, 04:53
^the only stupid question is that which is not asked, for knowledge cannot be gained without a question to be answered.;)

Quasimodo
29-01-09, 05:02
^the only stupid question is that which is not asked, for knowledge cannot be gained without a question to be answered.;)
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people, mmmkay?

Immortalis08
29-01-09, 05:05

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people, mmmkay?

:vlol: Did you people just call me stupid? Cause if you did! *shakes fist*

spikejones
29-01-09, 05:11
neigh I say. I was quite simply pointing out (in a quite poetic way if I do say so myself) that the "why why why why why why why why why" of children is a healthy thing ;) and of course while in class one should never be afraid to ask the teacher to explain something if you do not understand it. If your teacher treats you like an idiot for trying to learn - because they did not do a good job of it the first time - they should not be teaching in the first place.

back to love:
_i2ESgR0FUM

Tyrannosaurus
29-01-09, 05:17
This is turning into one of the great threads, at only a few pages so far. It makes me recall Matthew 11:25-26: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!”

I honestly believe that love is much simpler than most people care to admit or understand. I am normally loathe to give children credit for anything, but children and animals understand it better than most of us. Nowadays, we just have to make love an undefinable, elusive thing that you have to wait forever to decide if it is or not.

And there are those who think love doesn't exist because it's possible to explain it through psychology, physiology, and ethology. As if that vitiates the experience to any degree.

At least I did have the courage and let it be known that I did loved her. :)

No good ever comes from saying that to anyone, I don't think. It's taboo in our culture, and I honestly can't tell you what any of the women I've told this to, either directly or indirectly, were thinking.

Were they flattered, moved, creeped out, unfomfortable? Did they just feel sorry for me? None of them seemed paricularly grateful.

I think love is what can make you either the happiest or the saddest person on earth.

Usually the latter.

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 05:21
Love is to at last understand the suffering of another.

spikejones
29-01-09, 05:23
This is turning into one of the great threads, at only a few pages so far. It makes me recall Matthew 11:25-26: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!”

I honestly believe that love is much simpler than most people care to admit or understand. I am normally loathe to give children credit for anything, but children and animals understand it better than most of us. Nowadays, we just have to make love an undefinable, elusive thing that you have to wait forever to decide if it is or not.

And there are those who think love doesn't exist because it's possible to explain it through psychology, physiology, and ethology. As if that vitiates the experience to any degree.

No good ever comes from saying that to anyone, I don't think. It's taboo in our culture, and I honestly can't tell you what any of the women I've told this to, either directly or indirectly, were thinking.

Were they flattered, moved, creeped out, unfomfortable? Did they just feel sorry for me? None of them seemed paricularly grateful.

Usually the latter.
agreed to all points mentioned above. and the word love does not even have to be mentioned to anyone. the simple act of showing interest in a woman - be it friendly, romantic, or of a sexual nature - I have run the gamut of those reactions. It's always particularly annoying to get the reaction "oh, that's so sweet...... but I have a boyfriend. I'm so sorry." And yea.. the feeling of sorrow is sure to abound when one gets the reaction aforementioned.

Tyrannosaurus
29-01-09, 05:23
Love is to at last understand the suffering of another.

Isn't that called empathy instead? Well, I suppose you can't love someone you don't empathize with.

EmeraldFields
29-01-09, 05:29
Who needs a heart, when a heart can be broken?
0eu3WIXuzmo

aileenwuornos
29-01-09, 05:40
Isn't that called empathy instead? Well, I suppose you can't love someone you don't empathize with.

You gotta read into that one a bit more Mr Rex ;)
But very, very true still hehe.

Hermina94
29-01-09, 11:06
XD that was all too cute!Especially Karls comment:)
Love,for me is unexplainable

Angelx14
29-01-09, 11:33
Haha, they all sound so cute. This reminds meof another one :"Love is when you and the girl go to the pizzeria and you pay for her bathroom visit."

nicola1986
29-01-09, 11:47
Karl - age 5

:vlol: Nice going Karl. Adorable!

rowanlim
29-01-09, 12:13
Aww so cute! Thank you! :hug:

TRenTIs
29-01-09, 13:07
That's amazing!!

Nefertiti_89
29-01-09, 13:37
Aww some of those are so cute!

And the one about daddy on the loo is pretty funny! :D

There is no saying for sure what love actually is, in spite of all the proof that it is indeed all around us, we still can't seem to put our fingers on the answer to one of what has to be the most asked questions in ones life.

We know love can be many things, it is a swirling mass of contradictions, it can cause us pleasure and pain in equal measure, be simultaneously innocent and guilty, and happy yet sad, and it requires great commitment nurturing, and sacrifice, to keep it true.

Love is very childlike, and perhaps that is why it is so easily seen and expressed in and by children. Like love, a child can make us incredibly happy, yet also cause us great pain when it lets us down. Like love, a child can be guilty of something, yet innocent because it knew no better. Above all a child must be nurtured, and nurturing requires sacrifice and committment. Love is all around and so are children. Love unites, and in some odd ways children unite adults, mothers of daughters and fathers of sons become life long friends because of their children, a sick child can unite incredible numbers of people with the drop of one tear, and one child doing something as simple as singing a cute song on youtube can bring joy to thousands.

So, what is love? Love is a child. :)

Suzan
29-01-09, 14:02
Really cool, especially the christmas-one. I don't like kids, but some of these were really mature.

'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.'
Chrissie - age 6

Haha, that is so like me and my gf. We always fight about who gets more to eat - I try to put most of the cookies, fries etc. on her plate and then she tries to give them back to me. :D But then we end up putting everything 50-50.

Encore
29-01-09, 16:11
No offense, but that email sounds so fake. :p

Twiin
29-01-09, 17:32

Yeah, it could be. "A group of professional people", yeah right... lol
But alas, don't shatter my illusions!!

I really do think kids are more mature than when they grow up! They see things from an almost unclouded point of view, basic and... true. Unless their judgement is clouded by parents and society, of course. But I digress...

Touching, anyway.

Nefertiti_89
29-01-09, 23:25
For some reason I keep thinking Night at the Roxbury when I read the title of this thread lol :D

*trails off singing...*

Anyway, yeah they do all sound a bit made up dont they? But then kids do say some pretty funny and profound things at times.

]{eith
29-01-09, 23:28
Love is a word that some entertain. If you find it, you have won the game.

Okay, I'm not that cynical. Well, actually yes I am. I do think there are perfect people out there for some, and some unfortunately never find them and I've come to terms with the possibility that it might never happen for me. I'm still young, so maybe, but I'm not going to b heartbroken if it doesn't. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the ride....oh grow up!

spikejones
29-01-09, 23:29
UaYLdFE7s9Y

Nefertiti_89
29-01-09, 23:30
^ :vlol: I love it! Uh oh...gunna be stuck in my head ALL day now...oh well better than Lady Gaga!

spikejones
29-01-09, 23:32
yesh... yesh...:p
for some reason I started thinking of that song when I kept seeing the thread. Then you said something, and I just had to do it!!

Nefertiti_89
29-01-09, 23:41
Lol great minds think alike.....well either that or small things amuse small minds lol

jamieoliver22
29-01-09, 23:42
Awh, some of those are just adorable - It has put a smile on my face, kinda makes you feel more happier with the world...

IceColdLaraCroft
29-01-09, 23:45
Your love gives me such a thrill
But your love won't pay my bills
I want money!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insVgcOVVDQ

spikejones
30-01-09, 00:03
well.. when you put it that way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziDiv_t-rw

;)

but seriously though... a relationship cant be all give on one side and all take on the other side - it should be equal both ways.

Nerd For Life
30-01-09, 00:05

I agree with you.. it does

but it's still cute I suppose :D

Nefertiti_89
30-01-09, 00:09
but seriously though... a relationship cant be all give on one side and all take on the other side - it should be equal both ways.

Well it can be...but it shouldn't be if it's going to last/ have any hope of being functional.

Nerd For Life
30-01-09, 00:13
Well it can be...but it shouldn't be if it's going to last/ have any hope of being functional.

It's emotionally bad for the person who does all the giving, but yes, it can happen...

spikejones
30-01-09, 00:17
:smk: smartie pants!! you know well what I meant. :tea:

Rai
30-01-09, 00:21
OMG, those kids responses were soo cute - yet true too in their own ways. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Children can be a lot more insightful than we give them credit for sometimes.

Aww :hug:

Nefertiti_89
30-01-09, 00:26
:smk: smartie pants!! you know well what I meant. :tea:

:p I know but I had the sudden urge to be a smart ass

patriots88888
30-01-09, 02:36
What I'd like to know is where they found these kids. Perhaps the world we live in isn't such a cruel, dark place and there is hope for us humanoids afterall! Thanks for sharing this. :)

Love is something which can't be expressed through words, only feelings. You can't touch it, understand it, nor possess it! All one can do is cherish it, if you're fortunate enough to experience it!

allie9x
30-01-09, 16:28
Emily and Mark's made me laff... dunno why XD

Benguitar
30-01-09, 17:20
Aww.. That was so cute!

Angelx14
30-01-09, 17:50
UaYLdFE7s9Y

LOL! Where are those clips from?

Nannonxyay
30-01-09, 17:52