PDA

View Full Version : Teaching in the UK

LaraLuvrrr
31-01-09, 17:06
Does anyone know what teachers get paid in the UK? Like if they can make a decent living? I'm asking because I'm thinking of becoming a teacher but I'm from the U.S. and I've always wanted to move to the UK, specifically London but I know its expensive, and so I was curious as to whether they get paid enough to make a good living. Here in the U.S. teaching salaries are not that great so I'm not sure if they are maybe a little better in the UK.

Thanks! :)

Larapink
31-01-09, 17:10
This site will tell you: http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx

It's a UK teaching website. :)

Lew
31-01-09, 17:13
Teachers are hated over here, you'll age fast. I know I hated most of mine, until college came and they werent such *****s and let you do what you want most of the time.

laralover_07
31-01-09, 17:14
Well my mum earns about 22,000+ But it's an all time job, not just Monday-Friday.

clairelovestlc
31-01-09, 17:15
It depends on the area, your qualification etc. I am not sure if a usa teaching qualification is valid in the uk, but i can find out for you if you want. If it isn't valid you will need to obtain QTS in the UK

I am currently training to be a teacher ( will be qualified Ina few months)

The pay scale is as below.

Main pay scale including NQTs

London fringe: 21,102 to 30,393
Outer London: 23,118 to 32,751
Inner London: 24,168 to 33,936
Rest of England and Wales: 20,133 to 29,427

Hours wise , be prepared to "work" 6am- 10pm most days including weekends and holidays!

LaraLuvrrr
31-01-09, 17:22
It depends on the area, your qualification etc. I am not sure if a usa teaching qualification is valid in the uk, but i can find out for you if you want. If it isn't valid you will need to obtain QTS in the UK

I am currently training to be a teacher ( will be qualified Ina few months)

The pay scale is as below.

Main pay scale including NQTs

London fringe: 21,102 to 30,393
Outer London: 23,118 to 32,751
Inner London: 24,168 to 33,936
Rest of England and Wales: 20,133 to 29,427

Hours wise , be prepared to "work" 6am- 10pm most days including weekends and holidays!

That's cool that you're training to be a teacher. Why do teachers work 6am to 10pm? Are classes that long over there? :eek: Because here in the states teachers work like from 8 am to 3 pm.

laralover_07
31-01-09, 17:23
That's cool that you're training to be a teacher. Why do teachers work 6am to 10pm? Are classes that long over there? :eek: Because here in the states teachers work like from 8 am to 3 pm.

Being a teacher, you need to work non-stop, and if you have kids its even worse. Working with kids... Coming home to kids... ;)

Dingaling
31-01-09, 17:23
Lots of preparation for classes and lots of marking work is what I think clairelovestlc is talking about :).

clairelovestlc
31-01-09, 17:49
Primary school "lessons" run between 9am and 3:15pm and secondary schools run between about 8:30 and3:15 ( does vary between schools some start earlier ,some finish later) but the actual teaching is one of the smallest pats of the job!,

Planning lessons, setting targets for children, marking their work, getting resources ready, the piles of paperwork that go along side being a teacher, that's what takes up all your free time.

Anyone who thinks that teachers work 8am to 3pm and get 2 weeks "holiday" at Christmas, Easter, a week off for half terms and a great big long holiday in the summer couldn't be more wrong!!!

allie9x
31-01-09, 19:06
Teachers are hated over here, you'll age fast. I know I hated most of mine, until college came and they werent such *****s and let you do what you want most of the time.

Nah, teachers arent all hated. Some of mine are quite fun and chatty and easy-going, yet you still learn a lot with them.

Mad Tony
31-01-09, 19:11
Nah, teachers arent all hated. Some of mine are quite fun and chatty and easy-going, yet you still learn a lot with them.I agree. I've never had any problems with any of the teachers at my school. Some I'm not too keen on but overall I think they're pretty good. It's some of the students that I do have problems with.

jackles
31-01-09, 19:21
I'm a teaching assistant at a primary..well actually I am ICT support assistant. I used to work with a Canadian teacher and we have had quite a few Aussies work at my school. I think nowadays you have to have 'standards' checks to make sure that you are able to teach over here. I know NQT's do too. (Because ours were fretting about the recent maths tests they had to do the other day)

Being a teacher at our school usually involves being in about 8...staying to meettings until 6 at least weekly..plus all the marking, planning, doing reports, setting up your class etc. Plus you have to be professional all the time, possibly the hardest part. You try smiling at a kid who has just tried to punch you!

clairelovestlc
31-01-09, 19:45
(Because ours were fretting about the recent maths tests they had to do the other day)

ARGH don't mention the QTS skills tests * sits rocking back and forth in the corner hoping they will go away!*

LaraCablara
01-02-09, 02:21
Most of the teachers in New York are the worse then anything you can ever imagine.

digitizedboy
01-02-09, 02:30
Well, I was just worried abou' the recession in this country. It doesn't effect teachers or something important like that thank God. A bit of a bad time to come to the UK though huh?

Twiin
01-02-09, 12:55
Well, I was just worried abou' the recession in this country. It doesn't effect teachers or something important like that thank God. A bit of a bad time to come to the UK though huh?

A bit of a bad time to work in any country - it is a global economic crisis, after all.

Trigger_happy
01-02-09, 18:08
Civil service jobs are going to be fine- its not like we're going to run out of children to teach!

What kind of teaching were you thinking of? Secondary or Primary? There are some slight differences between the two.

digitizedboy
01-02-09, 18:29
A bit of a bad time to work in any country - it is a global economic crisis, after all.

That's what I meant, what would be the point in moving? lol

Voni
01-02-09, 19:45
Yeah, you'll do ok in teaching as it's not like demand will run out! But yes, teaching in the UK is a 24 hour job and no mistake. If you can handle paperwork, meetings etc. you'll do fine. I trained for a year and just couldn't hack that side of it. I LOVED the kids, but the admin side? It nearly killed me! I imagine it can be really rewarding though.

LaraLuvrrr
02-02-09, 01:48
Civil service jobs are going to be fine- its not like we're going to run out of children to teach!

What kind of teaching were you thinking of? Secondary or Primary? There are some slight differences between the two.

I was thinking secondary school.