PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a Decade 1999-2009

stranger1992
02-02-09, 13:25
(not a thread about Janet Jackson).

Seeing the thread talking about the 1990's made me think. It made me think "what has been the defining moments of this decade?" The naughties are now drawing to a close so what do you feel defines this decade. Music, political affairs; its your choice.

For me it has to be how much technology has expanded and changed. Information at your finger tips, videos at your disposal at high speeds. yeah, the internet was around 11 years before the 00's began but it has come on leaps and bounds.

So come on, what is it for you?

:)

Goose
02-02-09, 13:33
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_03/911RTRS_468x683.jpg

Thats about it for defining this decade.

digitizedboy
02-02-09, 13:34
the naughties?

It's been a blur to my personal life. But I don't want to sound depressive. Like you, I'm amazed at the advance in technology too. I mean in the year 2000 I'm using a 56kbps modem, 6 years later I'm using broadband. And that seems a common thing in households today. Politics? I'm not really a political minded person, I hate politics to be honest. But, sigh, it's a way of life isn't it? I guess, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have made an impact on this decade. Loads of people dying for absolutely no reason whatsoever, just because someone says this is wrong and this is right. Sickening.
Music? Music has improved I think from the 90s anyway, the music in the 90s sucked balls. I mean there's so much variety in the way of music now.

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 13:34
@Goose: That's what I thought. 9/11 was probably the most significant event of our decade.

Goose
02-02-09, 13:36
the naughties?
I guess, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have made an impact on this decade. Loads of people dying for absolutely no reason whatsoever, just because someone says this is wrong and this is right. Sickening.

Isn't everything about wrong or right? Our right is certainly more righteous then there bloody right!

violentblossom
02-02-09, 13:41
this decade has for me been defined by:

*my daughter's birth

*the meeting of my fiancee and the subsequent engagement

*9/11

*My first concert

*recieving my inheritance

*the death of my father

*the falling of the U.S economy

*Barack Obama's presidency

*the Columbine shooting

*Saddam Hussein was caught

*Marlon Brando's death

(these are just a few, i can't think of many this early, lol.)

Nefertiti_89
02-02-09, 14:22
Well I'm not going to repeat what others have said, but rather think what big things happened here that you guys might not know about.

For Aussies something memorable will always be the deaths of Stever Irwin, and one of our best race car drivers Peter Brock, in the same week. The election of former rockstar Peter Garrett to parliament, and then him selling out, and finally getting rid of the Liberal party from office after 10 years of little Johnny's rule.

But probably the most significant thing, and most recent of all these moments in Australia, would have to be the well overdue apology issued to the Aboriginal people in regards to the stolen generation.

Nausinous
02-02-09, 14:29
Defining moment? Barrack Obama elected as President of the United States and the beginning of the war on terrorism.

Tonyrobinson
02-02-09, 14:29
Tomb Raider being made into a movie franchise.

digitizedboy
02-02-09, 14:33
Isn't everything about wrong or right? Our right is certainly more righteous then there bloody right!

Well people are allowed freedom of choice (some more than others), but it's that choice that determines what happens globally. And these world leaders sure have made the wrong choices. But ya know, what do I know anyway, it's just what I read on TV and read in the newspapers. I know one thing though, you can't expect to support an Israeli government and get away with it. Not when they're killing innocent people all the time. Doesn't that wake up the Muslim world? Gee... it's all depressing.

**** man... don't want to turn this into something political. O_o lol

Goose
02-02-09, 14:37
Well people are allowed freedom of choice (some more than others), but it's that choice that determines what happens globally. And these world leaders sure have made the wrong choices. But ya know, what do I know anyway, it's just what I read on TV and read in the newspapers. I know one thing though, you can't expect to support an Israeli government and get away with it. Not when they're killing innocent people all the time. Doesn't that wake up the Muslim world? Gee... it's all depressing.

Depends how you define support, as it stands, only Iran supports Gaza, even Fatah wants whats happening to be Israels victory.

That started a very long time ago, and was certainly polar opposites to whats happening now. Not really a 00's thing.

VonCroy360
02-02-09, 14:38
@Goose: That's what I thought. 9/11 was probably the most significant event of our decade.

That, followed by 7/7 and the whole beginning of "war on terrorism" were probably the defining political moments.

The huge development of the internet is another one. It was around in the 90s, but this decade is the one when it begins to enter every part of our society.

Goose
02-02-09, 14:39
Yea 7/7 was big here, but stuff like thats been happening in London since before i was born, either the Irish nationalists or some other nutters.

Thats another big thing, the withdrawal of troops from Northern Ireland.

digitizedboy
02-02-09, 14:53
Depends how you define support, as it stands, only Iran supports Gaza, even Fatah wants whats happening to be Israels victory.

That started a very long time ago, and was certainly polar opposites to whats happening now. Not really a 00's thing.

Yeah, I've been told that before. I mean that even started before the 2nd world war didn't it?

7/7 that was awful! We never thought it would happen in this country. :(

violentblossom
02-02-09, 14:54
i don't know what 7/7 is. >.<

i need to look it up.

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 14:58
i don't know what 7/7 is. >.<

i need to look it up.How can you not have heard of 7/7?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

http://www.paulsjusticeblog.com/pics06/7-8londonterrorism.jpg

violentblossom
02-02-09, 15:01
How can you not have heard of 7/7?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

http://www.paulsjusticeblog.com/pics06/7-8londonterrorism.jpg

ah.

tell me "London Bombings" and i'll get what you're saying. gotcha.

Americans just don't know it as 7/7. :)

Goose
02-02-09, 15:03
Yeah, I've been told that before. I mean that even started before the 2nd world war didn't it?

7/7 that was awful! We never thought it would happen in this country. :(

Yea around 1922, we divided ungoverned territories up into countries, Trans-jordan, Palistine and Israel. We gave 50% of the land to Trans-Jordan, about 35% to Israel and the rest was split between the West Bank and Gaza under the name Palestine where a country called Philistine used to be back in the day. The arabs didnt like the idea of Israel coming back, which started the Arab-Israeli war around 1948, peaked about 1967 after a failed invasion of Israel which ended up with Israel occupying Gaza and the West bank, then ended around 1973 with Yom Kippur where the arabs took the west bank and Gaza back.

Since then its been mostly fighting in the west bank and Lebanon in the 80s and 90s.

rowanlim
02-02-09, 15:09
1. Personal: Closer relationships with uni mates, a special relationship with someone here, my sister's 1st sem at university (it was a turbulent time).

2. Local: Mar 8 elections saw the near topple of the current Government. They are hanging on but I think it's about time for change.

3. Global: 9/11, Obama's presidency, the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan, London bombings, deaths of Maestro Rostropovich, Steve Irwin, Luciano Pavarotti.

Of course technology is always evolving. I guess I appreciate it more now than before :)

raiderfun
02-02-09, 15:14
* Negative side :

-The ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
-Terrorist acts all round the world.
-The war in Iraq.
-George Bush !
-The new reputation of muslims and Arabs in the world.
-The povery excess in some countries.
-The financial crisis.
-Some family members that I've lost.

* Positive side :

-The Internet and everything in it.
-Informatics and technology great development
-All new projects here.
-The release of so many Tomb Raiders and stunning games.
-The trips we have certainly all had.
-New vision and hope with Obama's presidency.
-New associations here in all domains.
-DVD !
-New-borns in my family.

:wve:

]{eith
02-02-09, 15:44
http://i39.************/2ah8euo.jpg

The Naughties, *sponsored by Umbrella Corporation*

Reggie
02-02-09, 16:22
Cultural, Social, political etc.

The rise of the internet
The rise of the mobile phones
Crazy Frog
Dido
Amy Winehouse
Eminem (who made Dido famous)
Music Downloading overtaking CDs
Rise (and possible fall of) Reality TV shows (X Factor, BB etc)
The fall of the Labour party (after the rise of it in the 90's with Blair)
Apple becomes uber fashionable
Postmodernism (copying and modifying older sounds, a lot of our singers and clothing is inspired by retro-ism)
Rise and fall of George Bush (9/11, Iraq War, economy etc.)

Personal

Giving up my dream of being a games designer
Reviving that dream
Growing up generally (I was 9 at the start of this decade! :))
Experimenting with what I wanted to do in life
Angst, more angst and then some more 'til I got over it :D
^typically teenager-ish :o

Tomb Raider

The rise of TRF
TR:Chronicles, TR:AOD, TR:L, TR:A, TR:U
Core Design gets the chop
Crystal picks up TR
TR revival for the public
Personal disappointment
Personal Hope (crushed with TR:AE, raised again by TRU)
TR:Reborn (4 years of my life has gone into it, it will probably be finished in 2010 :D)

Non, je ne regrette rien!