PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back and live in any era of history, what would it be and why??

violentblossom
02-02-09, 17:58
Ancient Egypt here, because they were so intelligent, and advanced, and spiritual and glamorous. :cln:

The disease factor and mosquitoes would suck, but hey..

http://i42.************/iwteyp.jpg

drakl0r
02-02-09, 18:01
The Renaissance...:D

Goose
02-02-09, 18:01
Atlantis! just to see if it existed.

Maybe the part with the 10 commandments to.

Another Lara
02-02-09, 18:04
Ancient Egypt here, because they were so intelligent, and advanced, and spiritual and glamorous. :cln:

The disease factor and mosquitoes would suck, but hey..

http://i42.************/iwteyp.jpg

erm, nah, think it would be very smelly, unhygienic and uncomfortable, and a lot of sand in your food! You'd die quite a young age and in a lot of pain!

I love Egypt, but I know for a fact I could not live there!

Would love to live in Ancient Greece, coz I love their stories, art, science, weather and food... if only it weren't for them being a bunch of misogynists, it would be heaven!

raiderfun
02-02-09, 18:08
I would say when Islam came out at first :)

sandygrimm
02-02-09, 18:10
Same.. Atlantis ( if it existed),
The Renaissance
or around 287 a.C. In Greece or Roman Empire

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 18:10
The 30s and 40s. Would've been a pretty interesting time to be around for obvious reasons. :)

kristi
02-02-09, 18:14
Anytime between 1000 and 1400.I would love to uncover the secrets f the Templars when they were on their max.
Oh and also the Mayan period,too.

Nemo_91
02-02-09, 18:15
The era of the Tudors. It would be so wonderful to meet the most amazing woman who ever lived: Queen Elizabeth I. :)

Forwen
02-02-09, 18:28
As the person I am now? None, cause at a time any other than now I'd be pretty screwed in my book.

As a man? Either the Roman Empire of Octavian August's late rule (so that I'd die in Claudius' era preferably) or in the Age of Discovery (so that I'd die gazing into horizon wondering what's there).

Draco
02-02-09, 18:32
Back when the Stargate was buried.

]{eith
02-02-09, 18:37
The 60s and 70s. Amazing music, clothes, free spirit, etc. :hug:

I was born in the wrong time.

violentblossom
02-02-09, 18:38
{eith;3431043']The 60s and 70s. Amazing music, clothes, free spirit, etc. :hug:

I was born in the wrong time.

yeah, it was eiether the 60's or Egypt for me.

i'm obsessed with The Doors and 60's fashion.

Reggie
02-02-09, 18:41
I can honestly say I'd like to stay put here in the modern/post modern era. Older times may be interesting but only from a distance. I'd go back to the late 90s early 00's myself relive the TR craze, cool britannia, The hope for Tony Blair, an economy on the way up, cheesy pop and classic cartoons (CiTV, Nickelodeon etc) all over again! :D

Changeling
02-02-09, 19:01
Hm... as the same age and person I am now? Let's see...

90's or early Naughties
Mayan Period
'Atlantean' times :p
Pagan Scotland (a.k.a the time when people lived in caves or small houses)
Dawn of Time (just to see what really happened :p)

Legend Killer
02-02-09, 19:15
First choice would be the 80's for me. After that it'd be when Jesus was alive (I've got some questions for that dude) or early 20th century. :)

Biddy
02-02-09, 19:22
Happy happy 80's.

My last choice would the Medieval times. The lack of hygene there was overwhelming. *shudders*

interstellardave
02-02-09, 19:48
I lived in Ancient Egypt... and, for me, it wasn't a good time... :(

Forwen
02-02-09, 19:56
I lived in Ancient Egypt... and, for me, it wasn't a good time... :(

There were interstellar Daves back then?

interstellardave
02-02-09, 19:58
There were interstellar Daves back then?

Nah, my station was lower back then... ;)

Encore
02-02-09, 19:59
The 60s. In California. Yeah baby :cool: :vlol: But seriously, the 60s were a time of great ideals and change in many parts of the world, and I would love to have been a part of that.

Living in Crete during the Minoan period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_civilization) would be pretty cool as well, as they were said to be a very artistic and peace oriented people.

The 30s and 40s. Would've been a pretty interesting time to be around for obvious reasons. :)

Unless you were a jew living in Germany. :pi:

x2crazyidiot
02-02-09, 20:04
either ancient Japan or ancient China. Man gotta love their cultures :D

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 20:06
Unless you were a jew living in Germany. :pi:No **** Sherlock :p

Encore
02-02-09, 20:08
Well, you did say for "obvious reasons" but it was a pretty crappy era in many aspects, that being one, so your reasons are clearly not THAT obvious.

Forwen
02-02-09, 20:09
Unless you were a jew living in Germany. :pi:

Yeah, Mad Tony's is quite an interesting statement. Let's see...

North America - the Great Depression that spills into the rest of the world.
Europe - fun times!
Africa - well... at least there was no AIDS.
China - civil war.
South America - bananas!

Come to think of it, a bomb or two falling on London isn't such a bad option in comparison :pi:

Lew
02-02-09, 20:10
Either the 80s or 90s in Miami or 50s in Los Angeles. Or the 70s in Las Vegas :D

erosan
02-02-09, 20:10
either ancient Japan or ancient China. Man gotta love their cultures :D

Same. This or ancient Greece

Sir Croft
02-02-09, 20:12
At the very beginning of the Earth. I know I'd probably die in a matter of seconds due to the wild atmosphere, but well... you get what I mean. :p
Well, I wouldn't live there, but visit, so I can see how everything started. :D

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 20:13
Well, you did say for "obvious reasons" but it was a pretty crappy era in many aspects, that being one, so your reasons are clearly not THAT obvious.I never said it was a good era, just an interesting one.

Another era I'd like to go back and live in would be the early 2000s, more specifically 9/11. Yeah, I know it was only a few years ago but I was only 8 at the time so I didn't really think about it much.

Lew
02-02-09, 20:14
I never said it was a good era, just an interesting one.

Another era I'd like to go back and live in would be the early 2000s, more specifically 9/11. Yeah, I know it was only a few years ago but I was only 8 at the time so I didn't really think about it much.

Wow, you really pick depressing times don't you?

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 20:16
Wow, you really pick depressing times don't you?It's not about whether the era was depressing or not, it's about what I'm interested in. As it happens, those two particular eras interest me a lot. Besides, every era has it's depressing parts.

Lew
02-02-09, 20:18
Yeah but I just don't understand why someone would want to witness thousands of people dying again. The war turned some people insane and 9/11 will be in everyones minds for most of their lifes.

Encore
02-02-09, 20:18
Yeah, that's quite an interesting statement. Let's see...

North America - the Great Depression that spills into the rest of the world.
Europe - fun times!
Africa - well... at least there was no AIDS.
China - civil war.
South America - bananas!

Come to think of it, a bomb or two falling on London isn't such a bad option in comparison :pi:

What the hell do you mean? :confused: I was just giving an example, it's not like I'm saying the jews in Germany were the only ones suffering. :rolleyes: I'm not the one who chose that period anyway.

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 20:19
Yeah but I just don't understand why someone would want to witness thousands of people dying again. The war turned some people insane and 9/11 will be in everyones minds for most of their lifes.I never said I wanted to witness it, just be around at that time as I am now - more aware of what's going on in the world.

Lew
02-02-09, 20:22
I never said I wanted to witness it, just be around at that time as I am now - more aware of what's going on in the world.

I think most people are aware of the second world war and 9/11.... and besides you'd be sent off to the army without a doubt so therefore you would be witnessing it. It's almost like you like it when someone bad happens to the world....

Forwen
02-02-09, 20:22
It's not about whether the era was depressing or not, it's about what I'm interested in.

You'd also have to live in it you know. Europe wasn't the cosy cushioned corner of the world it is now, so one can't help being curious where you place yourself in those times.

What the hell do you mean?

I was agreeing with you, that's what the hell I meant :confused:

Encore
02-02-09, 20:23
I was agreeing with you, that's what the hell I meant :confused:

I thought that your "that's quite an interesting statement" refered to my reply. :pi:

Mad Tony
02-02-09, 20:25
I think most people are aware of the second world war and 9/11.... and besides you'd be sent off to the army without a doubt so therefore you would be witnessing it. It's almost like you like it when someone bad happens to the world....You're not getting my point. I would have liked to have been more aware of what was going on around me at that time.

You seem to be taking this too seriously. I never said I wanted to live back then, I said I just thought it would've been interesting.

Bad things have been happening ever since the dawn of mankind. Take the 60s and 70s when the Vietnam war was going on. Loads more people were dying in that than they are now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Forwen
02-02-09, 20:25
I thought that your "that's quite an interesting statement" refered to my reply. :pi:

And I thought that "yeah" at the very beginning of my statement would alert the readers to the fact that my statement is agreeing on your statement about Mad Tony's statement :pi:

Agent 47
02-02-09, 20:34
if i could retain my memories of now i'd go back to 1968 Hollywood (NBC studios to be precise). i would then alter the course of tv history so that my actions had a slight ripple effect up to 2009 :D

my ingenious plan? i would simply make sure Star Trek got a 4th season, i would then get history back on track so that the feature films still existed but TNG didn't (that way Kirk doesn't get a lame death) :D

failing that i'd choose the 1920's or 30's as i love cars of the period :jmp: mob mobiles

digitizedboy
02-02-09, 20:39
I suppose I'd go back to the tudor times and convince Henry the 8th NOT to destroy all the cathedrals we had in England.

I'd also go back to Shakesperian times and tell Mr Shakespeare not to write such crap.

the hooliganz
02-02-09, 20:51
i'd suppose i'll go to the ancient greek or ancient japanese times, both look cool in books

jackles
02-02-09, 21:17
I have racked my brains over this...

Tudor times..too much religious conflict

Ancient greece..as a woman..no thanks..as a man? too much war.

Stuart times..plague!! Fire!! pestilence!!

victorian? well maybe but knowing my luck I would end up in the workhouse!

I actually opted for the fifties or sixties..the fifties were when my mum grew up..I have her diary from when she was 14 and it all seems so innocent and optimistic. Things were on the up after the war, employment was rising and people seemed much more gelled.

Los Angeles
02-02-09, 21:18
I'd like to go back and live in the 80s in California...

Tyrannosaurus
02-02-09, 21:26
The Late Cretaceous. And I'd make damn sure everything would stay that way this time!

http://www.dinosaursinart.com/trex/IMAG0009.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/LateCretaceousGlobal.jpg/800px-LateCretaceousGlobal.jpg

Phys
02-02-09, 21:31
Ancient Egypt most DEFINATELY!

I love Egyption culture, its so beautiful and interesting.

If theres ever a programme on TV about ancient egypt, i usually end up watching :ton:

violentblossom
02-02-09, 21:35
Ancient Egypt most DEFINATELY!

I love Egyption culture, its so beautiful and interesting.

If theres ever a programme on TV about ancient egypt, i usually end up watching :ton:

high five!

i was lucky enough to go see Tut's treasures in Dallas last weekend, and omg, they were beautiful! His aunt's big ol' huge golden coffin was there and i about died.

Phys
02-02-09, 21:38
high five!

i was lucky enough to go see Tut's treasures in Dallas last weekend, and omg, they were beautiful! His aunt's big ol' huge golden coffin was there and i about died.

Wow i'd love to be able to do something like that :eek:

Like for instance in Tomb Raider: Anniversary. When you get outside in egypt where the water is... it looks so beautiful

Night Crawler
02-02-09, 21:41
The 50's because then I'd be able to live through the 60's and 70's which I feel I missed out on. Free love maaaaan.

violentblossom
02-02-09, 21:43
Wow i'd love to be able to do something like that :eek:

Like for instance in Tomb Raider: Anniversary. When you get outside in egypt where the water is... it looks so beautiful

where do you live? maybe you'll be able to catch the exhibit some time when it leaves here. its WELL worth it.

here's a video of the stuff from the exhibit, and this is stuff i actually saw. ^.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELy81jDc6BU

Phys
02-02-09, 21:45
where do you live? maybe you'll be able to catch the exhibit some time when it leaves here. its WELL worth it.

here's a video of the stuff from the exhibit, and this is stuff i actually saw. ^.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELy81jDc6BU

Im from the UK ;)

And i'll look out for it!

silver_wolf
02-02-09, 22:36
Middle-earth during the 3rd Age. What??

da tomb raider!
02-02-09, 22:52
1999, so I could make sure Core Design don't fail with AOD. :D

Phys
02-02-09, 23:16
1999, so I could make sure Core Design don't fail with AOD. :D

Ahh and if the past and the future are set in stone? :P

Smog
03-02-09, 00:12
The Late Cretaceous. And I'd make damn sure everything would stay that way this time!

Good luck with the whole meteorite thing then. :tea:

Nefertiti_89
03-02-09, 00:23
Ancient Greece, so I could be expected to drink everyday, wear a toga and have my hair all done up nice, and just to see how on earth they managed to build that bloody Parthenon without a plan! No to mention to meet Perikles and all the great tragic playwrights and philsophers of that age, it would just be so amazing!

da tomb raider!
03-02-09, 00:26
Ahh and if the past and the future are set in stone? :P

If that's the case, then I'd go back to the age of the Tudors instead. Always wanted to get my head chopped off.

Chocola teapot
03-02-09, 02:15
I'd go back to see What really happened to diana, if jesus was real or if atlantis existed.

Twilight
03-02-09, 02:21
somewhere in ancient Asia, i have a fascination with the cultures there.

LaraLuvrrr
03-02-09, 05:19
I would want to live in ancient Egypt. I feel like I lived there in a past life but yea I just love the culture and the history. And I feel like they knew things that were lost in time. I wish I could be there and see their practices and beliefs.

]{eith
03-02-09, 05:24
If that's the case, then I'd go back to the age of the Tudors instead. Always wanted to get my head chopped off.

There's no shortage of people who would do that in this period.

J/k! :hug:

But seriously, watch yourself. :mis:

Little-Lara
03-02-09, 05:26
The Renaissance........ I couldn't answer faster, LOL.

Art and drama and creativity, oh my.

ThatNorskChick
03-02-09, 05:34
Iceland during the Viking Age, of course. Perhaps I could find myself hot Viking man to marry as well. :ton:

EmeraldFields
03-02-09, 05:40
Iceland during the Viking Age, of course. Perhaps I could find myself hot Viking man to marry as well. :ton:

http://i40.************/jzfghd.jpg

SEXAY!:cln:

]{eith
03-02-09, 05:41
SEXAY!:cln:

I would....

What?

ThatNorskChick
03-02-09, 05:42
:vlol: Those look more like cavemen with horns glued to their heads! I'm quite insulted now! :D

]{eith
03-02-09, 05:43
:vlol: Those look more like cavemen with horns glued to their heads! I'm quite insulted now! :D

Well cave people need some good ol' fashioned ooga-boogooing too! :p

aileenwuornos
03-02-09, 06:13
As the person I am now? None, cause at a time any other than now I'd be pretty screwed in my book.

Me too. I'm even still a bit too early now =(
Alternatively

Back when the Stargate was buried.

Totally and utterly. Or to when SG1 launched their first mission ;)

wantafanta
03-02-09, 06:48
The 60s. In California. Yeah baby :cool: :vlol: But seriously, the 60s were a time of great ideals and change in many parts of the world, and I would love to have been a part of that.

An interesting choice. There was a draft then and you would have a draft card and a lottery number on it. If it was low - Viet Nam - unless you got a student deferrment or were a CO - consciencious objector. 15,000 US soldiers were killed in Viet Nam in 1968. Scary.

But the draft is why there was such a movement for change. People were forced to be involved. We don't have that today. If we had a draft, we would be out of Iraq now, or most likely never gone there to begin with.

But think of what you didn't have: No cable TV, no IPod, no CDs, no cell phone, no VCR, no call-waiting, no caller ID, no movie rentals, no file sharing, no mp3s, no bottled water, no Internet, no Tombraider, no identity theft, no video games, no digital TV, no running shoes, no roller blades, no microwavable meals, no granola bars, no gift cards, no organic foods, no tattoos, no piercings, no MRIs, no CAT scans, no e-mail, no composite tooth fillings, no pocket calculators.

If you wanted a copy of your term paper, you could use a sheet of carbon paper in your portable typewriter, or use a Xerox machine. If you goofed up, you had White-Out - or you could start the page over a type slower. If you took a math course, you bought a slide rule at the book store. Even in the 1980s, retailers still used an imprinter to copy your credit card. Then they opened a huge book to look up your number to see if it was approved. Some of these imprinters are still around in case the service goes off-line.

Until sometime in the 1980s, you could still fix your own car. But forget it today. There are too many complicated tubes and wires to mess with and no room to work.

I'd say computers have made things a lot better in some ways, and a lot worse in others. We spend too much time at them and we get fat, and they give crooks a chance to wreak havoc. It's a curse and a blessing. Probably the simplicity of the '60s was good. Life was a lot less stressful. Today your boss expects you to work 24/7. But as for change and protests, and political upheaval, that was mostly the college students' work. What you see in film and on TV today about the 60s was selected parts of that era that the news people deemed important enought to preserve on film. Just like the music. When you hear 60s music, you'll hear Beatles or Rolling Stones or Cream - but the vast majority of the music was probably lousy and forgettable - just like today. For the most part, life then was probably pretty dull - just like today - except in Levis and penny loafers.

Class dismissed. :)

aileenwuornos
03-02-09, 06:52
An interesting choice. There was a draft then and you would have a draft card and a lottery number on it. If it was low - Viet Nam - unless you got a student deferrment or were a CO - consciencious objector. 15,000 US soldiers were killed in Viet Nam in 1968. Scary.

But the draft is why there was such a movement for change. People were forced to be involved. We don't have that today. If we had a draft, we would be out of Iraq now, or most likely never gone there to begin with.

But think of what you didn't have: No cable TV, no IPod, no CDs, no cell phone, no VCR, no call-waiting, no caller ID, no movie rentals, no file sharing, no mp3s, no bottled water, no Internet, no Tombraider, no identity theft, no video games, no digital TV, no running shoes, no roller blades, no microwavable meals, no granola bars, no gift cards, no organic foods, no tattoos, no piercings, no MRIs, no CAT scans, no e-mail, no composite tooth fillings, no pocket calculators.

If you wanted a copy of your term paper, you could use a sheet of carbon paper in your portable typewriter, or use a Xerox machine. If you goofed up, you had White-Out - or you could start the page over a type slower. If you took a math course, you bought a slide rule at the book store. Even in the 1980s, retailers still used an imprinter to copy your credit card. Then they opened a huge book to look up your number to see if it was approved. Some of these imprinters are still around in case the service goes off-line.

Until sometime in the 1980s, you could still fix your own car. But forget it today. There are too many complicated tubes and wires to mess with and no room to work.

I'd say computers have made things a lot better in some ways, and a lot worse in others. We spend too much time at them and we get fat, and they give crooks a chance to wreak havoc. It's a curse and a blessing. Probably the simplicity of the '60s was good. Life was a lot less stressful. Today your boss expects you to work 24/7. But as for change and protests, and political upheaval, that was mostly the college students' work. What you see in film and on TV today about the 60s was selected parts of that era that the news people deemed important enought to preserve on film. Just like the music. When you hear 60s music, you'll hear Beatles or Rolling Stones or Cream - but the vast majority of the music was probably lousy and forgettable - just like today. For the most part, life then was probably pretty dull - just like today - except in Levis and penny loafers.

Class dismissed. :)

I'm pretty sure tattoos and piercings were around back then, but they weren't HALF as mainstream as they are today. Same as identity theft ;)

Forwen
03-02-09, 07:57
no microwavable meals

:eek:

I would never survive in the 60's! What about instant noodles?

Punaxe
03-02-09, 08:05
Quite definitely The Roman Empire, preferably of course, as a rich man :p I'd have liked to be in politics.

Pietras
03-02-09, 08:07
Industrial Revolution