PDA

View Full Version : Our cat was desexed today. A quick question.

mizuno_suisei
03-02-09, 13:14
Hi guys. Well, we have a cat and he's such a gorgeous boy with big blue eyes and he's bloddy huge, not fat, but huge. And he really lives up to his breed of Ragdoll, he's very floppy :p He's only maybe 4 to 5 months old and he's bigger than any other domestic cat I've seen :o

Well, He got desexed today and I have a question for anyone who knows anything about cats. I tried google but didnt get any help.

Since he's been home, He's been locked in my room with me because he cant interact with the dogs or the other cat incase they get a bit wild and injure him. Well, He is constantly running around obviously but one thing that worries me is that he keeps on..licking his bits xD Sometimes it also looks like he's biting them too which worries me incase he pops his stitches or something.

Should I be worried, or is this just a normal thing. Yeah, he cleans himself often but he's ran around, cleaned, ran around, cleaned...like 50times in the past 4 hours xD

I also kinda feel sorry for him for a different reason, on his first vet visit, she said "Woah, he's got rather big testicles for his age" and they were the exact words :vlol:

Should I stop worrying? I just don't want him to pop the stitches or something.

Zac,

jaywalker
03-02-09, 13:20
that sounds kinda normal from what i remember. Next time u have ya bits done you'll be curious about it too. The stitches could be a problem if they pop but he'll probably realise that biting them HURTS so will go back to licking

mizuno_suisei
03-02-09, 13:22
Next time u have ya bits done you'll be curious about it too.

:vlol:

Thanks for that. He seems to not have been biting too much now, occasionally but he's still cleaning. as im typing as a matter of fact xD Not the nicest view but atleast he isnt running around jumping on me, meowing because he wants to leave the room xD

jaywalker
03-02-09, 13:39
:vlol:

Thanks for that. He seems to not have been biting too much now, occasionally but he's still cleaning. as im typing as a matter of fact xD Not the nicest view but atleast he isnt running around jumping on me, meowing because he wants to leave the room xD

cats either become docile or uber aggressive when you remove their ability to be daddy cats.. u have other pets? that will be an interesting first meet up after he allowed out of your room.. Is the other cat male or female? done or not done?

Encore
03-02-09, 13:48
To be honest when mine got that operation he didn't do that. :confused: He was just very sleepy and wobbly when he walked, but then he slept most of the time and then he got better and better. I would be kinda worried if I saw him bite the area. :confused:

mizuno_suisei
03-02-09, 14:16
^ Thats quite odd actually, ours is pretty much acting normal. He's a crazy bugger, he fell asleep on my bed a while ago but not for too long.

The other cat is a boy so I don't really see any trouble coming. He's probably 2 months younger so he'll have to get done soon also.

We have two puppies which are both female and they are nuts, like super crazy xD they jump all over the cats but they dont seem to mind xD That was actually our main concern, the dogs getting a bit too rough and maybe accidently injuring him.

gbetch
03-02-09, 14:24
well if you get to worried about his "bits" you can always get a head cone so he cant reach them. both my cats are boys and fixed. the licking is probably cuz its ichy, i know that when i have stiches i pick the crap outta them because the get dry and scaby.

Encore
03-02-09, 14:58
^ Thats quite odd actually, ours is pretty much acting normal. He's a crazy bugger, he fell asleep on my bed a while ago but not for too long.

It's not odd, since he was under the effects of having been anesthetized. Besides he's a Persian cat, they are much more calm in nature.

touchthesky
03-02-09, 15:00
Yes, some cats do pull at their stitches when they first get them in...It's not really anything to worry about, just make sure that the cat doesn't pull them out...If you're really worried, the vet should give you a cone for the cats head.

The licking will just be a natural reaction to the wound. Think when they cut themselves out of vets-they lick it clean :).

nicola1986
03-02-09, 15:29
I wouldn't worry about it, I don't blame him, he has just had his catnips removed, he's probably wondering where they are xD

But yeah, just make sure he doesn't pull them out, though like the others already said, hopefully he'll learn that it hurts a bit too much when he does that. My sister's cat tugged them once and then never tried it again.

Tonyrobinson
03-02-09, 16:04
Well when I got my bits taken off....

SCARED YA!

Geck-o-Lizard
03-02-09, 16:07
He's fine. Cats are inquisitive, and they're always extra curious when they realise they've got stitches somewhere they didn't have before. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't start tugging them out.

My cat had to stay in a cage for a month when he got hit by a car; he managed to figure out how to escape from that plastic cone round his neck so he could sit there licking his stitches for hours. We gave up trying to stop him but no harm was done. :) He was just too sore to nip at them.

Lavinder
03-02-09, 16:07
I thought you had put dissected at first :eek:...

I think you should just keep an eye on him, and if he persists you may have to have one of those cone things put on him :p.

Tonyrobinson
03-02-09, 16:15
Get the operation yourself and try not to touch it :p

Now you know how the cat feels!

sandygrimm
03-02-09, 16:16
My cat used to drag his butt on the floor :vlol:

spikejones
03-02-09, 16:19
i think its normal to be honest. I had a dog (yes I know its not a cat) who picked at his stitches when he got fixed. The vet even put one of those protective cones around his head to prevent that from happening. well - he ate the cone and pulled the stitches out. and there was me holding a towel on the poor puppy nuts.:o

Changeling
03-02-09, 16:47
I think that's normal, he's just curious and wanting to lick it clean as most cats will. :D Just be careful that he doesn't tug too hard, just keep an eye on him. :) My dog got a small cut on his hind leg once and he kept licking and biting hit because it was either itchy or he wanted to clean it, but we kept telling him to stop and he eventually did. :D

Crisl
03-02-09, 18:34
Im sure your cat will be fine :tmb: Hes probably just uncomfortable with the wound so he keeps touching it and maybe he tries to clean it and so on ;)
But what bothers me more - you got your cat desexed when he was just 5 months old? Isnt he too young for it :confused: I believe cats should be desexed at the age of one year... But you say he was already very huge, so maybe he was mature enough for it :)

adventurerLara
03-02-09, 18:38
When I got my cat done she kept licking and biting her stitches and I think she even pulled one out but most of the stitches where inside I suppose it's harder for a male cat. He'll be fine:)

Melonie Tomb Raider
03-02-09, 18:38
I used to have a huge cat as well, and when he got fixed, he did the same things, but nothing ever happened. They get over it relatively fast. :)

digitizedboy
03-02-09, 19:07
damn, fancy making a cat give up on his pride and joy. rofl