PDA

View Full Version : Boys and Girls alone (discussion)

woody543
03-02-09, 21:22
I was just wondering if anyone watched this program on C4

Its very interesting and apparently its caused contraversy.

I mean a chicken in the kitchen

and the girls are very aggresive

Draco
03-02-09, 21:24
Is this some kind of TV program?

laralover_07
03-02-09, 21:35
I saw this on BBC News this morning, didn't watch it though. Basically Draco, they dumped a bunch of 8 - 11 year olds in a house in the name of science and watched hell break loose. Sick in my opinion.

Jo269976
03-02-09, 21:38
Damn I missed it, thank god for +1 though :D

Reminds me of 'Lord Of The Flies' for some strange reason.

woody543
03-02-09, 21:40
they've put a group of boys and a group of girls in a "village" each consisting of 3 houses in each.

And removed there parents to see what would happen.

I think the boys are handling it well, but there is a major clash of personalities

the girls though are completeley breaking down.

Think lord of the flies

edit---------- just read lord of the flies above

its still on on the normal 4

jackles
03-02-09, 21:41
I can't understand why any parent would do this. There is no way I would have done this to my child and he was going night fishing with friends when he was 13....

It amounts to child abuse in my book. If a group of estate living single parents on benefits decided they were going to stick all their kids in one house (while watching them on web cam ) and let them be bullied and filmed being humiliated (and be watched by millions of others on ..oh lets say youtube) those kids would be taken away and the papers would be full of complaints....but let trendy old channel four do it in the name of science and everything is lovely.

Crisl
03-02-09, 21:43
Wow, what an interesting idea...and have the scientists found out something? Any conclusion? :)

Reminds me of 'Lord Of The Flies' for some strange reason.

Itīs not strange. The idea is basically very similar to Lord Of The Flies, isnīt it? :) Children create their own "society" and "rules" ;) (But I havenīt seen the show)

Lenochka
03-02-09, 21:46
I remember a show like this in the U.S. called Kid Nation or something like that
Not sure how it all went down, I just remember them arguing xD

woody543
03-02-09, 21:46
Wow, what an interesting idea...and have the scientists found out something? Any conclusion? :)

Children are evil and vindictive- Especially girls

Jo269976
03-02-09, 21:47
Itīs not strange. The idea is basically very similar to Lord Of The Flies, isnīt it? :) Children create their own "society" and "rules" ;) (But I havenīt seen the show)

Bingo :)

Except it has both genders and I don't see Channel 4 televising cannibalism :vlol:

jackles
03-02-09, 21:48

Except it has both genders and I don't see Channel 4 televising cannibalism :vlol:

Oh I don't know..I'm sure that if you moted the idea they would consider it.;)

Crisl
03-02-09, 21:51
Children are evil and vindictive- Especially girls
Oh, not very positive conclusion :( Although not very new, I guess...some children can be really evil.
Their parents must have felt "great" when they saw their kids acting like this. And on TV :eek:

Tihocan9
03-02-09, 21:52
If it is real and there is no adult interference at all than that seems very wrong and irresponsible of who ever is in charge of it. Kids are meant to have parents to learn how to live on their own, put kids that age by themselves and they don't know what to do, although they can make it a while it still isn't the same and not right. Although I have to wonder if this is real, I mean I would not be surprised if they are actors or if adults help them when the cameras are off.

laralover_07
03-02-09, 21:52

Dead Set anyone?

Crisl
03-02-09, 21:53

Haha :vlol: Thatīs right...no food for one day and Iīm sure people might be surprised... (Oh, I hope Iīm wrong ;))

woody543
03-02-09, 21:57
Oh, not very positive conclusion :( Although not very new, I guess...some children can be really evil.
Their parents must have felt "great" when they saw their kids acting like this. And on TV :eek:

Well 2 of the younger girls painted the house, so they couldnt sleep in it and had to move in with the older girls, who didnt like them. The younder ones were going to move back in to the painted house but the older ones wrote things like "HELP ME!!" "I WILL KILL YOU" and things like that on the wall to scare them

If it is real and there is no adult interference at all than that seems very wrong and irresponsible of who ever is in charge of it. Kids are meant to have parents to learn how to live on their own, put kids that age by themselves and they don't know what to do, although they can make it a while it still isn't the same and not right. Although I have to wonder if this is real, I mean I would not be surprised if they are actors or if adults help them when the cameras are off.

It is real, the parents are just outside the village watching the cctv, there are actually chaparones with them at all times but they are only allowed to step in when a child is in danger, not allowed to help with cooking or tell them what to do.

Those boys are uselss though, they couldnt even boil a kettle for a pot noodle so instead used cold tap water.

The parents are also allowed to speak with the children if they wish, and leave at anytime. The parents have just been allowed to see them after 3 days

Jo269976
03-02-09, 22:00

This years Big Brother twist ;)

Crisl
03-02-09, 22:03
Well 2 of the younger girls painted the house, so they couldnt sleep in it and had to move in with the older girls, who didnt like them. The younder ones were going to move back in to the painted house but the older ones wrote things like "HELP ME!!" "I WILL KILL YOU" and things like that on the wall to scare them

It is real, the parents are just outside the village watching the cctv, there are actually chaparones with them at all times but they are only allowed to step in when a child is in danger, not allowed to help with cooking or tell them what to do.

Those boys are uselss though, they couldnt even boil a kettle for a pot noodle so instead used cold tap water.

The parents are also allowed to speak with the children if they wish, and leave at anytime. The parents have just been allowed to see them after 3 days

That sounds terribly :eek: I would be really worried about the kids. Canīt it even affect their minds? Itīs not right to leave them alone for such a long time without adults, really...

woody543
03-02-09, 22:17
That sounds terribly :eek: I would be really worried about the kids. Canīt it even affect their minds? Itīs not right to leave them alone for such a long time without adults, really...

If I'm bring completly honest its typical behaviour in children, being 15, I remember school being just like that, its how children behave. There is an adult presence on stage, they just dont intefere, both the children and their parents agreed.

One child did it because she was bullied in school, and some parents did it to show the kids what they have to do.

Its strange because the girls showed independence and didnt crave their parents but the boys couldnt handle it without their mum. However it was the boys that established their own rules, which were ripped up a few hours later.

Voni
03-02-09, 22:44
I think it's a despicable idea. You can't leave children to fend for themselves, like others have said, it's child abuse! I can't watch it because I would probably end up screaming at the telly.

Crisl
03-02-09, 23:02
I think itīs different from school because these kids are alone there 24/7, right? Thereīs no adult all the time. So they can do whatever they want, which isnīt very good for them, I guess. Iīm not a scientist so I canīt claim Iīm right by all means :)
I wouldnīt let my child to be in this experiment, though.
Maybe itīs interesting to find out that girls are more independent than boys, and that boys try to establish their own rules, but I could live without knowing that ;)

woody543
03-02-09, 23:17
I supose your right, but the behaviour patterns are similar to school. There are infact always adults around due to safety reasons. I don't think its scientific, more a social experiment into the insight of children. Everything ive learnt from this program I allready knew.

Although yes dangerous, apparently one the children gets a knife out during an argument, which is when the camera men and chaparones have to step in. It is completley imoral, but interesting aswell. No doubt we will have a discussion in my english class about it tomorrow :)

Crisl
03-02-09, 23:27
Yes yes, the patterns remain although there might be some changes due to the different environment and situations. But I think we all know (kind of) what are children like and we should be able to imagine the picture of them living on their own... :) So itīs no surprise you already knew everything youīve learnt there :D
They even have knives there? :eek: Wow :)

Haha, maybe there will be even some argument about it in your class tomorrow :)

touchthesky
04-02-09, 14:09
I watched it!

That poor Sid shoulda been taken home when he first asked.

That bully girl needs to gtfo! She picks on people for no reason...and her mom thinks it's "normal"?

They get money next week! And cigarettes?

I can't wait.

woody543
04-02-09, 16:53
The bully girl is too much, was the water really neccasary?

Rileigh
04-02-09, 17:17

Well, of course there is adult supervision, at one point they didn't cut in time and you could see someone step forward to intefere when the boys were fighting and one of the lads had a rake of some sort...

The point is, what are kids actually learning?? I thought it was shocking that those kids didn't know how to cook (well, the boys at least) and that they didn't seem to have awareness of responsibilty (the way the older girls were treating the younger ones) and how horribly out of control they could get without adults to supervise which should also open eyes to how perhaps someone's own kids could be behaving when their back is turned.

That poor Sid shoulda been taken home when he first asked.

I think not at all. It shows how utterly dependant the kids are on their parents....you notice he wasn't missing his mum, just her cooking...how pathetic.
They were meant to learn about responsibilty and how they need rules and how to not take their parents for granted, and perhaps learn about chores and keeping things clean and tidy, and that's how things have to be.

coolaideonfire
04-02-09, 17:24
Oh I wanted to watch it but I forgot it was on. Is it repeated any time?

Rileigh
04-02-09, 17:26
Oh I wanted to watch it but I forgot it was on. Is it repeated any time?

Erm, it's on 4oD
At least, it should be

touchthesky
25-02-09, 17:46
Well, that show was sure interesting!

Poor William...loving Maddie and all, when she already had a boy!

It was a total soap opera lol.

Anyone else watch the rest of it?