PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Dreaming

silver_wolf
04-02-09, 00:26
Check this (http://www.luciddreaming.com/default.php) out. I've heard of lucid dreaming from other places as well, and I'm sure some of you have too. Has anyone ever had a lucid dream, intentionally or unintentionally? I thinks this is fascinating and really cool. But it also seems a bit dangerous. What if you get, idk, "stuck"?

Neteru
04-02-09, 00:29
Yes I have had a number of lucid dreams, both intentional and unintentional.

digitizedboy
04-02-09, 00:32
I have them sometimes. They're really weird because they're not like dreams. They're as real as me typing this message now. o_o I can also change locations and I meet people who I've never seen in my entire life. Something else that's weird is that I can walk through walls in them too. lol

Lemmie
04-02-09, 00:32
I think I usually dream lucidly, but I don't know whether that's a reflection now that I'm not dreaming. An interesting concept - I think that usually I remain myself in my dream, and that I don't see the possibility in what I dream. I'm not sure.

I've never dreamed intentionally as far as I know, lucidly or otherwise.

Night Crawler
04-02-09, 00:35
Yeah, I used to ge them all the time, but less and less now. Best one I remember is one where I suddenly stopped everything I was doing in the middle of a really stressful dream and told myself it was a dream, then started pointing out to myself reasons why it had to be a dream, then I actually was able to take charge and make myself jump really high and float down slowly and stuff, it was awesome but when I get to that stage it usually isn't long before I wake up, usually a couple of minutes.

The last one I had was a couple of days ago, I was having a nightmare and I thought to myself that I wanted to wake up and that I wanted out of the dream, even though I could move my arms and legs about freely in the dream, I was also aware that my body was motionless in reality, so it's from concentrating on that, that I was able to wake myself up. At first I tried screaming at the top of my lungs in the dream so that I might start screaming in reality, thus waking myself up but my eyes just shot open, no screaming thank god! :D

TRhalloween
04-02-09, 00:36
The closest thing that I had to a lucid dream is when I told the person in my dream that I was dreaming but I couldn't manipulate things :(

silver_wolf
04-02-09, 00:36
I really want to try this. So long as it doesn't go all Matrix on me and I die after I try to jump off a building...

EmeraldFields
04-02-09, 00:44
The closest thing that I had to a lucid dream is when I told the person in my dream that I was dreaming but I couldn't manipulate things :(

Same here.

Is there a trick to it?:p

matrix54
04-02-09, 00:47
I daydream so much, i find it hard to know when im dreaming :eek:

yes, its true. if i actually realized, my dreams would be so much better, like a lot. But i do it unitentionally, i guess...

Larapink
04-02-09, 00:51
I have been able to control my dreams before, alot of them actually felt like I was there.

Nefertiti_89
04-02-09, 00:55
Happens to me all the time, I dont think its intentional though...

Hairhelmet12
04-02-09, 01:22
Ah yes, Lucid dreams...ive had them befour. i seen a video on you tube on how to have one...

Oh here it is... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llw717IARpQ)

Squibbly
04-02-09, 01:27
I used to often lucid dream. I heard about it a long time ago and found it really interesting because I knew it had happened to me before (being aware that I was dreaming) but didn't realize what I could do with it. So I began practicing a lot, and now I can do it on demand if I choose to. I don't do it much anymore, though, and I'll tell you why:

I was lucid dreaming pretty much every time I went to sleep and it was so fascinating and so much fun, but I think it can get dangerous because I started not being able to tell when I was dreaming and when I wasn't. That sounds crazy, but let me explain. I would sometimes wake up, and I WOULD be awake, but I'd still see what I was dreaming about IN MY ROOM. And let me tell you, it was not a good thing. I almost had a heart attack. And then, when I would fall asleep, there was no "everything goes back and dreaming begins" period, it just all happened before my eyes. Walls would start melting, things would go all squirrely... I know, it sounds like I'm a drug user or that I'm making this up, but I swear to you I am telling the truth, I am not insane, and do not do any kind of drugs whatsoever.

So, it started to mess up my sleep and it was freaking me out, so I stopped doing it so much and now just occasionally, and all that weird stuff doesn't happen anymore. I read about it after it happened, seeing if anyone else had it happen to them, and apparently doing it too much has caused this to happen to other people.

So, if you want to do it, it's really fun... just don't over-do it. I guess it starts to play tricks with your mind like that because you're not supposed to have control over your mind when you're asleep.

I also had been lucid dreaming for a looong time before any of this occured.

spikejones
04-02-09, 01:30
^meh.. never went through all that process before, but I have had lucid dreams before. plenty of them. it usually happens when I get awoken by the alarm clock and think "crap... that was a nice dream!!" then I kill the clock and drift back into that same exact dream - only this time I am able to control the outcome. Like I save the fair maiden or decimate an entire army single-handedly. Or just do some kick ass board sports. It always helps to think about what it is you want to dream about as you slip off to sleep.

that's my answer to "good god, morning again"

silver_wolf
04-02-09, 01:38
I used to often lucid dream. I heard about it a long time ago and found it really interesting because I knew it had happened to me before (being aware that I was dreaming) but didn't realize what I could do with it. So I began practicing a lot, and now I can do it on demand if I choose to. I don't do it much anymore, though, and I'll tell you why:

I was lucid dreaming pretty much every time I went to sleep and it was so fascinating and so much fun, but I think it can get dangerous because I started not being able to tell when I was dreaming and when I wasn't. That sounds crazy, but let me explain. I would sometimes wake up, and I WOULD be awake, but I'd still see what I was dreaming about IN MY ROOM. And let me tell you, it was not a good thing. I almost had a heart attack. And then, when I would fall asleep, there was no "everything goes back and dreaming begins" period, it just all happened before my eyes. Walls would start melting, things would go all squirrely... I know, it sounds like I'm a drug user or that I'm making this up, but I swear to you I am telling the truth, I am not insane, and do not do any kind of drugs whatsoever.

So, it started to mess up my sleep and it was freaking me out, so I stopped doing it so much and now just occasionally, and all that weird stuff doesn't happen anymore. I read about it after it happened, seeing if anyone else had it happen to them, and apparently doing it too much has caused this to happen to other people.

So, if you want to do it, it's really fun... just don't over-do it. I guess it starts to play tricks with your mind like that because you're not supposed to have control over your mind when you're asleep.

I also had been lucid dreaming for a looong time before any of this occured.
Yes, I've read some other accounts like that. I suppose you just have to be very careful...
Edit: Lol I just watched that youtube video. I always thought Lewis Caroll wrote Alice in Wonderland on drugs. Hence the "magic mushrooms" :D

spikejones
04-02-09, 01:43
actually, what squibbly described is much like the experience I had while on DXM. and the kicker to that was that I was never really asleep!! I had full on REM while wide awake and thus was dreaming in a fully conscious state. I could close my eyes and be in a dream world where the pillows on my bed were an egyptian temple that I had to crawl through in order to get to freedom. And if I opened my eyes, the walls would be swimming around me. Sometimes I would be able to see through my eyelids (I kid you not) because the pupils were super dialated.

a common streetname for DXM..... "dream".

Squibbly
04-02-09, 01:49
actually, what squibbly described is much like the experience I had while on DXM. and the kicker to that was that I was never really asleep!! I had full on REM while wide awake and thus was dreaming in a fully conscious state. I could close my eyes and be in a dream world where the pillows on my bed were an egyptian temple that I had to crawl through in order to get to freedom. And if I opened my eyes, the walls would be swimming around me. Sometimes I would be able to see through my eyelids (I kid you not) because the pupils were super dialated.

a common streetname for DXM..... "dream".

Oh jeez! Well, I certainly wasn't on anything... I actually didn't even know what that was. Had to look it up! lol.

It really scared me when what I was dreaming about would still be in my room when I woke up. And again, I swear I WAS awake. This one thing.. it gives me the creeps just thinking about it. I was walking around this strange place in my dream, and there were these two woman who were dressed up, one in a red dress and one in a purple dress. There was nothing wrong with them, but I didn't understand why they were there. Then I woke up, and these women were still in my room, except the one in the purple dress was laying on a medical table and the one in the red dress had a frightening expression on her face and was stabbing the one on the table over and over and over again. It was making a horrible noise and then... they just vanished. But that entire time, my eyes were wide open and I was awake. Really freaky, huh?
I am also not insane, I assure you.

spikejones
04-02-09, 01:54
are you positive you were awake? - beyond the shadow of a doubt?

I have on occasion in the past slept in late for school because I dreamed that I had gotten up when the alarm clock went off, got dressed, went to the bus station, rode to school, went to class etc.. all of it seeming very real until I woke up - a couple hours later than I should have.

silver_wolf
04-02-09, 01:54
yikes

Lemmie
04-02-09, 01:56
I am also not insane, I assure you.

That's reassuring!

But I don't believe that you are insane. ;) I'm just glad I haven't had an experience like that - with or without the help of hallucinogens. However, like spikejones, my experience is akin to drifting back into the same dream after realising that I don't really have to get up for a lecture, that I can take a day off etc etc. :D

Squibbly
04-02-09, 02:00

I have on occasion in the past slept in late for school because I dreamed that I had gotten up when the alarm clock went off, got dressed, went to the bus station, rode to school, went to class etc.. all of it seeming very real until I woke up - a couple hours later than I should have.

Positive. I did a lot of reading about it, too, and it's a very real thing that happens to lots of people who lucid dream too much. It even has a clinical name for it, but I can't remember. :p

It has something to do with chemicals in the brain that mix together to make you sleep and dream, but sometimes the dreaming chemical is too much so when you wake up, you're still seeing what was in your dream.
Don't know all of the proper words, obviously!

I hope everyone doesn't think I'm a schizophrenic psycho now.

spikejones
04-02-09, 02:09
well I guess with all things ... there is a danger of overdoing it.

mau3genius
04-02-09, 02:15
Check this (http://www.luciddreaming.com/default.php) out. I've heard of lucid dreaming from other places as well, and I'm sure some of you have too. Has anyone ever had a lucid dream, intentionally or unintentionally? I thinks this is fascinating and really cool. But it also seems a bit dangerous. What if you get, idk, "stuck"?

I don't think there's something like "getting stuck" in a dream?
Sounds too surreal to happen :p
Unless you actually become comatose whilst having the dream?
I'm using question marks because I don't know If I'm saying something right, or just plain bull**** :p
Oh, about the topic.
Yes, I've had many lucid dreams. When I was younger I couldn't control what happened, but now most of the times I realize it's a dream, and take advantage of it.
I don't wanna sound crazy, but when I first read the title of this thread I actually thought you were talking about those situations when you're not actually fully asleep and you're dreaming. If that's the case, however, I've had many occasions where I'm in a dream and still can see what's going on in the real world O.O

LaraLuvrrr
04-02-09, 02:18
I had one once. It was pretty cool. I could consciously control my dream and fly and stuff.

Rachel Croft
04-02-09, 02:23
Usually about 90% of my dreams are lucid.

Tihocan9
04-02-09, 02:26
I have been trying and trying to have one they seem like so much fun, but I have never been able to do it.

the hooliganz
04-02-09, 02:30
I had one once, but it never happened again, nowadays i dont even dream at all

EmeraldFields
04-02-09, 02:33

LoL! I've done the same exact thing! It's kind of weird.

freeze10108
04-02-09, 02:34
I don't wanna sound crazy, but when I first read the title of this thread I actually thought you were talking about those situations when you're not actually fully asleep and you're dreaming. If that's the case, however, I've had many occasions where I'm in a dream and still can see what's going on in the real world O.O

I've done that too! It's really cool! But I had my eyes closed, and I was listening to music, so I couldn't hear the people around me.

I've also lucid dreamed a few times too. Usually after I've pinched myself to see if I was dreaming.

Neteru
04-02-09, 03:24
... nowadays i dont even dream at allYes, you do. You just don't remember them.

violentblossom
04-02-09, 03:48
this happens to me ALOT, i think most of my dreams are lucid.. scary part about it is that i don't typically even have normal or happy dreams.. mine can be downright frightening.

i don't know if its all the crap that's gone on in my life or if i'm just a twisted person, but i dream about some downright wicked things.

EmeraldFields
04-02-09, 03:52
I've never had a dream that was full of gore or horror. My scary dreams are when I'm constantly falling or my teeth fall out.

This has inspired me to keep a dream log.:)

M.A.
04-02-09, 04:38
A lot of times. Usually when I realized I'm in a dream I try to fly or do something I wont be able to do in real life. But usually this period of self-awareness don't last long and I would be waking up shortly after. Tried to stay in the dream but can't! :D

And sometimes I realized I'm in a dream and I tried to get out. Tried as much as I can to force myself to wake up but I can't! Also lasted for a short time.

But one of my bizarre sleep experience involves sleep paralysis (I get these a lot too). I still remember the experience clearly. Coincidentally, the day before this experience, I was reading about sleep paralysis and how some suggest that you can "wake up" and walk around, but in a soul form, your body stays in bed!

So here it goes. It was afternoon and I was taking a nap in my dorm room. My bed was under a window. While I was sleeping, my body got the familiar sensation of sleep paralysis. Strangely, I could see my surrounding clearly even though I can't move a muscle. I saw that the sky \was blue and rmy oommate and another friend were huddled in front of a laptop doing something. Then I remembered the article I've read the day before and decided to give it a try. I tried to slowly lift up myself and found that I was slowly sitting upright on my bed. I knew I'm still in sleep paralysis because the foggy dream feeling I'm still in. Just before I want to get off the bed, paranoia got to me. I was afraid that I won't be able to return to my body. So I immediately lie down again and instantly my eyelids open and I woke up! I turn around and looked around my room and sure enough it was a cloudless sky and my friends were doing their assignment on the laptop on a table near my bed (they weren't there when I started my nap). Freaky. My only regret was that I didn't turn around and look at myself! :D

LaraCroftRox
04-02-09, 05:16
Wow this sounds fun. :p

I think I've unintentionaly told myself to wake up before but that's pretty much it.

Sir Croft
04-02-09, 06:24
Never had one, at least not that I remember. But heck, I gotta try this, sounds cool :cln:

Lara's Backpack
04-02-09, 06:28
Yes I have them quite reguarly, I didnt even know it was different to normal dreams. I can often dream and think about the things happening in my dreams, and I believe I can control what I dream to a certain extent.

I think it might have something to do with the fact I can never switch my brain off, its relaly hard for me to relax or keep calm or "Think about something else" Because there's still more room to think about a hundred million other things aswell as the thing thats worrying me :tea:

Sir Croft
04-02-09, 06:29
Well, you never switch your brain off, otherwise you'd be dead :p

Lara's Backpack
04-02-09, 06:32
Well, you never switch your brain off, otherwise you'd be dead :p

I didnt mean it literally :tea:

Although sometimes I think that would be so awesome. The ability to just revert to primitive "breathe, beat heart, pump intestines" mode and back at will :p

Bumio
04-02-09, 06:36
i always used to have this dreaming, from my childhood :)
though in the past few months i dont have it that often :(

some time ago i was really interested in this. from sources i've read they explain that Lucid dreaming is a process when soul is able to wander, visit places, see people, see answers, see solutions and stuff like that. the same effect can be achieved through meditation, when people are forcing their souls leave their bodies for a short moment, and then return.

NympHadorA
04-02-09, 07:10
I had a few of them before. So interesting thread I think. Thanks for the link btw. :)

Phys
04-02-09, 08:10
I have always wanted to lucid dream but I never seem to be able to do it.

I've read about the "look in a mirror in your dream and you will know your dreaming" or "look at your hands" suggestions before.

digitizedboy
04-02-09, 08:18
i always used to have this dreaming, from my childhood :)
though in the past few months i dont have it that often :(

some time ago i was really interested in this. from sources i've read they explain that Lucid dreaming is a process when soul is able to wander, visit places, see people, see answers, see solutions and stuff like that. the same effect can be achieved through meditation, when people are forcing their souls leave their bodies for a short moment, and then return.

That's exactly what I think. Such a strange thought huh?

Rileigh
04-02-09, 08:27
Hmm, I always thought of it as not so muich just being aware you're dreaming, but actually controlling your dreams, well, as a directors "controls" the actors in a movie

clarity of lucid dreams being far superior in comparison to the ordinary dreams.
So that is why sometimes it is hard to remember if events have actually happened, or were just dreamed XD

During a lucid dream, the dreamer can change the course of his or her act and dream of flying, levitating, traveling through time etc.,
Anyone have those dreams where you can fly, then suddenly you can't no matter how hard you try...and you seem to lose all your strength and can not run...

I'm a WILDer :D

Only I often don't get to sleep for a loooong time.

jamieoliver22
04-02-09, 08:57
I think I have had a few 'lucid dreams' before now, but never been able to change things per se. Quite odd how our minds work though.

MiCkiZ88
04-02-09, 08:57
I'm not exactly sure if I get them that regularly or not, but I have dreams even when I'm almost awake, and those dreams I can easily ''direct''. And I'm not sure what this is, but I knew I was dreaming, but I couldnt wake up for a while. Something I dont want to experience again =/

Haven't checked the link yet (since I just woke up..) though

xRikux89
04-02-09, 09:38
I have a lot of very realistic and controllable dreams if I first wake up, then doze off again. Last this morning, in fact. xD I'm not sure if my dreams are exactly "lucid" though, as I can't recall ever "realising" I'm actually dreaming. But I can still control them pretty well, so they're fun. :D

aileenwuornos
04-02-09, 10:09
Yes, when I was prescribed Valium I had really, really intense lucid dreams.
These days I can get it to be fairly lucid, but not as intense as they were before.

Andromeda66
04-02-09, 10:23
I lucid dream sometimes. I remember once I was in this lovely place and I was walking around and I was aware that it was a dream. I remember thinking to myself, "This is like coding a level in a game" and then "I wonder how far the code stretches and how far this dream world stretches to"

Unfortunately I walked a lot and didn't seem to find an end , so I woke up. =]

MrBear
04-02-09, 11:09
I really want to try this. So long as it doesn't go all Matrix on me and I die after I try to jump off a building...

I don't think you need to worry about that :p and it's funny you should mention the off-the-building jumping; when I was lucid dreaming a good deal of years ago, my way of waking up was imagining myself on top of a huge skyscraper.. All I had to do was let myself fall, and I would wake up... But here's something creepy; it became harder and harder for me to jump off :o very strange, because I was perfectly aware that it was a dream and that I would wake up before meeting the ground.. Hmm..

tranniversary119
04-02-09, 13:56
I've had them before :wve:

Biddy
04-02-09, 18:56
It was scary controlling my dream 3 days ago. I try not to think of scary things otherwise I'll have King Kong III chewing at my leg.

Hermina94
04-02-09, 19:01
I had one of those!I usually know that I'm dreaming when I'm dreaming and sometimes I close my eyes in it.Then I wake up!

Alive_and_Funky
04-02-09, 19:58
I can only recall ever having one lucid dream, but it was quite interesting as I managed to wake myself up from it.

Rai
04-02-09, 20:01
I have lucid dreams quite often. I was able to continue one dream for a week once. I can't remember much now as it was a long time, but i do know it was very good and fun being able to control it. :p

Tonyrobinson
04-02-09, 20:23
I had an NDE (Near death experience) once when I started to Lucid dream. I was suffocating in bed under the sheets looking down on myself struggling for breath. I could feel my eyes try to open so I could wake up and they just wouldn't. When they snapped open I was lying on the bed with the sheets over my head.

Quasimodo
04-02-09, 20:27
I hate those lucid nightmares where you try to scream, but all that comes out in real life is some kind of clench-jawed murmuring.

KIKO
04-02-09, 20:38
I think I've only did the teeth one, but my mom says I whisper sometimes :p
What I hate about this is when I'm dreaming and I dream that I'm taking a walk or something and I turn to spit on the dream and wake up suddenly to find out I spited over me :p things like this happen sometimes.
Like hitting the table next to your bed while dreaming. :o ouch

Tonyrobinson
04-02-09, 20:43
If I go to sleep with my mouth open I drool... everywhere:(

Rai
04-02-09, 20:45
I had an NDE (Near death experience) once when I started to Lucid dream. I was suffocating in bed under the sheets looking down on myself struggling for breath. I could feel my eyes try to open so I could wake up and they just wouldn't. When they snapped open I was lying on the bed with the sheets over my head.

I had a dream like that. I was completely wrapped in my duvet cocoon like. It was quite scary when I finally woke and was struggling to breathe. :eek:

CerebralAssassin
04-02-09, 20:46
yeah,I lucid dream sometimes...but even then I have no control in the dream whatsoever,the only thing I can control is when I should wake up :p

..and you seem to lose all your strength and can not run

hahaha...I thought I was the only one having these I-can't-run-for-the-life-of-me dreams!!it's really annoying!!

Atlantisfreak666
04-02-09, 20:48

Same.

Tonyrobinson
04-02-09, 20:48
Has anybody had a dream that when they hit somebody they despise it just doesn't feel satisfying or real enough and your arms feel so weak.

KIKO
04-02-09, 20:56
Has anybody had a dream that when they hit somebody they despise it just doesn't feel satisfying or real enough and your arms feel so weak.

yes well in my case, punches are weak, I tend to loose balance constantly or even when I'm imagining too not only in dreaming.

Tonyrobinson
04-02-09, 20:59
yes well in my case, punches are weak, I tend to loose balance constantly or even when I'm imagining too not only in dreaming.

Lol I'm quite scrawny so I imagine mine are in real life too.:)

I've never hit anyone

silver_wolf
04-02-09, 22:25
hahaha...I thought I was the only one having these I-can't-run-for-the-life-of-me dreams!!it's really annoying!!
I hate those! What's weird is in those dreams I try running on all fours and it's a lot better.
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3437743#post3437743)

Yep. Also annoying.