PDA

View Full Version : My needle phobia - please help

Reggie
04-02-09, 16:06
I'm a bit distressed right now because I've just come back from the dentist after refusing a needle for my filling. Thus I never had the filling.

The size of the needle made me go :yik: to put it simply and I just said 'no way' telling him I wasn't mentally able to cope with this. I was so embarrassed. As I was leaving I felt like was going to throw up and its one of the worst moments I've ever had.

I can't cope with them being injected into my arm let alone my mouth where it is mentally 10 times worse for me to handle.
Apparantly there's a cream that can be used but it would cost me 65 pounds if I have it which isn't great because I'm already set on having a white filling.

Basically I'm a dentist's worst nightmare.
Please help me to think about my options here. :(

Quasimodo
04-02-09, 16:09
Maybe they could knock you out first with some kind of anesthesia?

Neteru
04-02-09, 16:10
Hypnosis might be worth looking into.

Draco
04-02-09, 16:11
Tell them to use Nitrous Oxide.

Seb_01225
04-02-09, 16:13
i went to the dentist a couple of months ago i almost cried seeing the size of the needle.

but as soon as it goes in your mouth goes numb and you can't feel a thing.
i really didn't even feel the injection not one bit.

Rivendell
04-02-09, 16:15
I know it might not be any help, but here goes -

I hate needles too. Not as much as you, by the look of it, but I can't stand them. I usually get quite distressed the day leading up to knowing I've got to have some sort of jab.

However - I've had 3 fillings (well, two - one was a re-do job) - but I've never seen the needles they use. I've always just closed my eyes throughout every dentist appointment.

They rub some gel on the area before the injection, and I've never felt a thing when they've done it. So if that's any comfort to you at all I don't know - but they don't hurt in the least, and I couldn't even feel the dentist doing it.

Smog
04-02-09, 16:18
I had my first filling a couple of months ago and, to be honest, the injection was a lot more pleasant than the whole drill a hole in your tooth thing. But then needles don't really bother me much anyway.

Reggie
04-02-09, 16:19
Maybe they could knock you out first with some kind of anesthesia?

That's something I'd consider, they have a mask which can used.

Hmm I've not thought of that but I'm not sure if it would work as I've never met anyone who's had hypnotherapy. Not sure how it works either but its something I could look into and consider...

Doesn't that make you real sick afterwards? :/

i went to the dentist a couple of months ago i almost cried seeing the size of the needle.

but as soon as it goes in your mouth goes numb and you can't feel a thing.
i really didn't even feel the injection not one bit.

This is what everyone tells me and believe them but its not the physical pain I'm worried about - its the needle itself. Its just one of those things I can't cope with at all. :(

I know it might not be any help, but here goes -

I hate needles too. Not as much as you, by the look of it, but I can't stand them. I usually get quite distressed the day leading up to knowing I've got to have some sort of jab.

However - I've had 3 fillings (well, two - one was a re-do job) - but I've never seen the needles they use. I've always just closed my eyes throughout every dentist appointment.

They rub some gel on the area before the injection, and I've never felt a thing when they've done it. So if that's any comfort to you at all I don't know - but they don't hurt in the least, and I couldn't even feel the dentist doing it.

I just freaked out when I look to the side and he squirted some of it out for preparation as well. It was just like one of those deliberately freaky needles they have on TV. >.<

As for the gel, he wasn't going to do that for me. just a needle straight in there :yik: ugh makes me feel sick right now.

Crisl
04-02-09, 16:21
Yes, just like Rivendell says - I NEVER look at whatever theyīre doing to me. I just have my eyes closed all the time and I have no worries ;)
The needle itself really doesnīt hurt. Itīs just a little sting, I could hardly feel it. And the pain I would have to experience while drilling isnīt worth it ;) So I always ask for injection even though I have no idea how they look like :tmb:
Donīt worry, the needle really doesnīt hurt. Just donīt look at it next time :)

Mad Tony
04-02-09, 16:21
I've had one filling in my lifetime. They asked me whether or not I wanted an injection to numb it. I refused the injection because I didn't exactly like the idea of a needle being shoved into my mouth. The filling didn't hurt one bit. Albeit it was a small filling, but still, I didn't even need the injection.

laralover_07
04-02-09, 16:22
I agree with all these points, they are all very good ideas and should help.

Something else would be to put music on? Bring your Mp3 player, or headphones for your phone, close your eyes and focus on that until you feel numb, then its only a day with a dead lip you have to worry about. :) Most dentists should have various forms of distraction available too.

raiderfun
04-02-09, 16:23
Don't worry you're not the only one, I went last week to take a sample of my blood, I hope I don't make you much anxious , but I did almost faint there , I couldn't suffer the needle especially on this part of the arm :(

disneyprincess20
04-02-09, 16:24
Reggie, I've done exactly the same thing. The idiot dentist actually showed me the needle, as in "this is the needle I'll administer the anasthetic with", at which point I said "you're not sticking that ****ing needle in me!" and ran out the surgery!

As Riv pointed out, you could try closing your eyes. It's how I eventually got my 4 fillings done. Also trying to think of escapism; as in trying to convince yourself you're somewhere else, I found that helped. It's never a nice thing, having a dentists injection, but unfortunately it will have to happen.

I hope you manage to sort your tooth out, either way! :)

digitizedboy
04-02-09, 16:36
Yes, just like Rivendell says - I NEVER look at whatever theyīre doing to me. I just have my eyes closed all the time and I have no worries ;)
The needle itself really doesnīt hurt. Itīs just a little sting, I could hardly feel it. And the pain I would have to experience while drilling isnīt worth it ;) So I always ask for injection even though I have no idea how they look like :tmb:

That's actually the best advice. :)

I don't think the needles are such a problem anyway, it's the noises of drilling that freak me out the most.

rowanlim
04-02-09, 16:43

Good suggestions. I've had all 4 wisdom tooth taken out, I'm not particularly afraid of needles, the sting is just a bit in the beginning then I don't feel anything. It helps to relax & imagine you're somewhere else, rather than think about that needle!

Laughing gas. Are you nuts? :D

Laralissa
04-02-09, 16:51
Laughing gas would be awesome :D

Im not too fond of needles, but like Rivendell I just never actually look at it. Ive had god knows how many fillings by now (Yay for my healthy teeth) and Im actually alright with it by now. I just ignore what's happening at the side of me while they're preparing, and am I the only one who can barely feel the needle when they actually use it? You would think having a needle stuck in your gums would hurt more, but its actually very bareable o_O

Bumio
04-02-09, 17:01
imagine the dentist naked :pi:
believe me, it will be hard to focus on the needle with this thought in ur head...

:p

Love2Raid
04-02-09, 17:09
imagine the dentist naked :pi:
believe me, it will be hard to focus on the needle with this thought in ur head...

:p

:vlol:

Very bad images entering my brain now....:o

I could tell you to try the filling without the anaesthesia, but that's not the real solution to the problem.

I understand it is very hard, but try to think rationally about it. "What harm could that tiny needle do?"

(I have learned to do venapunctures and insert IV-cannulas by practising on each other....:eek: )

A tip: Bring your I-Pod to the dentist next time. The music will distract you.

Good luck! :tmb:

ShadyCroft
04-02-09, 18:16
My mum's a dentist, so yeah I pretty much lived all the horrors of dentist appointments. I had all things done by mum, and probably tried everything. Filling, needles, braces (well, I didn't carry on with them).

Don't worry. You're not the only one who hates needles. Small injection needles I can take, mouth needles at the dentist I can take. They actually gave me a little spray thing around the area and it went numb and did not feel the needle.

The only needle I could never take is those used to get blood sample. Those are huge and the procedure needs a lot of things like not eating in the hours preceding the procedure. And if you look and freak out, you'll faint. My friend did and he collapsed actually.

I've always just closed my eyes throughout every dentist appointment.

I NEVER look at whatever theyīre doing to me.

I do that too, by my sister (she's a medical student) says that's the stupidest thing to do. What if the doctor made a mistake ? Forgot to sanitize the tip of the needle ? Wanted to inject the needle in the wrong part ? How will you know if you don't look ?

Gotta say she has a point, but I can't look. :(

Crisl
04-02-09, 18:24
That's actually the best advice. :)

I don't think the needles are such a problem anyway, it's the noises of drilling that freak me out the most.

Haha, exactly! I hate that noise. If I could close my ears along with my eyes I would be just fine :D
Becaus itīs difficult for me to imagine Iīm somewhere else when I hear that bloody noise :hea: It gives me chills.

I do that too, by my sister (she's a medical student) says that's the stupidest thing to do. What if the doctor made a mistake ? Forgot to sanitize the tip of the needle ? Wanted to inject the needle in the wrong part ? How will you know if you don't look ?

Gotta say she has a point, but I can't look. :(

Wow, Iīve never thought of it this way...:eek: :o Your sisterīs right. But I donīt think I would be able to check if the doctor is doing everything properly :D So I just have to trust him and his skills ;)

Atlantisfreak666
04-02-09, 18:36
I've actually had a needle today.

Anyways, I'm petrified of needles. It's not the "pain" that scares me, it's the needle actually being in my arm/mouth/whatever.

Needles don't hurt at all, it's just the panic beforehand that's the worst part.

Pan
04-02-09, 18:44
Just scream REALLY loudly and clutch onto something, but be sure to tell the nurse or she might be a bit freaked out!

WOOP! I'm now an EXPLORER! :)

Dark Lugia 2
04-02-09, 20:56
I can tell why your scared, the needles at the dentist are so comical its scary o.o its made out of freaking metal, the whole thing XD

Needles dont scare me though so I was ok, it was a little uncomforting seeing it though... Id ask to be knocked out :) as in some gas or something simmilar

Lee croft
04-02-09, 21:31
i thought the thread said noodles lol but i have a friend who has a phobia over them

kristi
04-02-09, 21:32
OMG!I had as well as 4 fillings!
On two teeth,the dentist,pulled my nerve off.I was about to make the needle go deeper,because I closed my mouth.

Also,some months ago,I pulled of a canine.It was a very big one.The dentist made me 2 light needles of anesthesya/drugs.I felt NOTHING for 2 hours.

Reggie
04-02-09, 21:34
I can tell why your scared, the needles at the dentist are so comical its scary o.o its made out of freaking metal, the whole thing XD

Needles dont scare me though so I was ok, it was a little uncomforting seeing it though... Id ask to be knocked out :) as in some gas or something simmilar

I think I'm going for this one. I don't want to even be aware of it happening. Hypnotherapy would then be a long term option to deal with such things in the future. :)

Thanks everyone.

jackles
04-02-09, 21:54
While I know the thought of the needles can be pretty freaky..the pain of a bad tooth can be so awful that if the worse happens the needle will be a minor scratch in comparison!!

I have a tooth break years ago (due to scoffing what would now be called m&ms) on christmas eve, I ignored it over christmas...mistake. I won't entertain you with the gory details but lets just say that I would have put up with any amount of needles. Problem was ....it had gone too far, become infected and they couldn't numb it out. Blooming dreadful. So wiggle your toes if you have one (distraction techniques!!) and feel proud that you have coped.

:)

Tonyrobinson
04-02-09, 21:55
I can take them anywhere apart from my mouth or gums that hurts like a *****

Reggie
04-02-09, 21:56
While I know the thought of the needles can be pretty freaky..the pain of a bad tooth can be so awful that if the worse happens the needle will be a minor scratch in comparison!!

I have a tooth break years ago (due to scoffing what would now be called m&ms) on christmas eve, I ignored it over christmas...mistake. I won't entertain you with the gory details but lets just say that I would have put up with any amount of needles. Problem was ....it had gone too far, become infected and they couldn't numb it out. Blooming dreadful. So wiggle your toes if you have one (distraction techniques!!) and feel proud that you have coped.

:)
^Right, well I better get back to the dentists ASAP then! :/

da tomb raider!
04-02-09, 21:58
Can't you refuse to take the injection, and just have the filling done? That's what I do.

Olabelle
04-02-09, 22:33
Despite the amount of peircings and tattoos I have, I'm terrified of doctor's needles.

I went through every filling I ever had refusing to have them, and just putting up with the pain.

However, a few years back I ended up needing a root canal. I had let it go too long that I was constantly in pain, because I didn't want a shot. However, my dentist is really good. I don't even feel the injections he gives.

He also lets me bring in my Ipod and headphones and listen to music while he's working, so I just close my eyes and concentrate on the music. It helps a lot.

Nefertiti_89
04-02-09, 23:18
I find a distraction helps, I hate getting blood tests but I have to have them all the time because I have strange blood that apparently needs testing. If I'm just getting a shot like a vaccine I get the doctor to distract me and before I know it its happened and over.

Dental needles scare the beejeesus out of me but I really just have to psych myself up you know, mind over matter, its going to hurt more without the needle so suck it up and get it. Theyre not as bad as they look anyway and you feel pretty dandy after.

It also helps when you trust the person I find.

randomrhys
04-02-09, 23:34
try hypnosis, 2 of my friends have gone to help them with their phobias and they swear by it. one of my friends said she used to be afraid to leave her house in case she saw a frog (she had a frog phobia) and after a few hypnosis sessions it cured her. it can be quite expensive but both of them say it's completely worth the money.

Azerutan
05-02-09, 03:02
I already had 2 needles on my mouth at the same time. When I was shot in the face, they used 2 needles to find the bullet (don't ask m why, not even I got it), anyway, try not to look at them, they hurt for few moments though, but that's it.

silver_wolf
05-02-09, 04:02
...wait, you got shot in the face?
Anyway, I don't mind needles, but I hate dental work and doctors in general (no offense to any dentists or doctors :D ). I just can't stand to be probed and poked and examined and have my teeth scraped and needles shoved into my gums and 4 different tools crammed into my mouth at once!! :hea:

M.A.
05-02-09, 04:34
Or your other option is to inhale some nitrous oxide and have a trippy experience like this kid:

David After Dentist

txqiwrbYGrs