PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye everybody! This is the end for me! :o(

Sifo-Dyas
05-02-09, 12:10
Hello everyone out there

I first became a Tomb Raider-fan in 1996: the year that Lara Croft was born - the year that Tomb Raider became the fastest and best-selling videogame of all time and would influence dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of soon-to-be-released videogames. :jmp:

Before 1996, I was playing Wolfenstein, Doom, Lemmings and Prince of Persia but when I saw what Tomb Raider had to offer, I did not only become a huge fan instanteously but also realized this was the greatest game ever created. Tomb Raider had so many news things or old things much improved such as haunting film-like music, groundbreaking graphics in never-seen-before 3D third person environment, a female hero in a lead role who doesn't need to rely on any muscled men to come to the rescue and of course Full Motion Videos which were not only vry impressive by themselves, but also furthered the story a LOT more than any level could ever hope to do. :tmb:

The first Tomb Raider was not only garganteously important to the entire videogame industry but it was also super-fantastic to play each and every single time. On top of that, every single sequel that the Tomb Raider-saga had was at times even better than the first (dspite the constant bickering that the latter games were flawed and boring). :yah:

I've been a front-row Tomb Raider-fan from the year 1996 all the way to 2008, but 2009 will be the first year that I will detach myself from this otherwise great saga. :(

Here's why:

There are actually 2 reasons.

First of all:

Maybe it's because I've grown too old for this, but I think the videogame-industry is not as interesting anymore as in the old days (read: the '90s). It's too expensive; especially when you consider that so many games are much shorter than the ones that were released a decade ago (just compare the play-time of Tomb Raider: Legend with Tomb Raider III and you'll know what I mean).
Also: the evolution of videogames seems to go wy faster than ever before - to the point where a 2,5-year-old computer is not powerful enough anymore to run the latest games; even at lower settings.
I should upgrade my videocard but in doing so I should also replace my Windows XP with Windows Vista and I hate Windows Vista. I hate it because it's not compatibel with the older videogames which I still love very, very much.
So this is - both on a financial and a technical level - the point of no return for me. :mad: :ohn:

Secondly and far more important:

I met someone over the internet on a dating site and after talking back and forth for a while, we actually met face-to-face. I think she's the most beautiful thing on earth and I think I love her. More importantly: I think she also loves me, but only time will tell, right? Anywho: this looks like something serious and I kinda lost my interest in purchasing new videogames and having headaches over trying to figure out why a certain videogame (sometimes even with a patch) still doesn't work properly on a powerful computer. :gki:

So - I wanna take this opportunity to thank every single person on this forum for the great time that I had. Thanks to everyone who's ever helped me (or trying to do so ... LOL!) and thanks for any support or smart opinion that may have helped me in the past.
It's not that I will stop playing videogames (God knows I could never stop playing the first 4 Splinter Cells, the first 2 Max Paynes, Star Wars: Battlefront I and II, KOTOR I and II, Tomb Raider I, II, III, The Last Revelation, Chronicles, The Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld ... and a few more.) :yah: :pi:

I might still come pop in every now and then if I have a computer problem, but me as a videogame-playing-person is gone. A new chapter of my life has begun; you might even say. :)

Goodbye and many, many thanks for all the joy I have experienced on this FANTASTIC forum!!! :wve:

Bye for now ... err ... no ... bye for good? LOL! :D

(p.s.: my nickname is Sifo-Dyas, but I started out as The Godfather)

Nausinous
05-02-09, 12:14
I don't know you very well but I wish you all the best :hug:

Changeling
05-02-09, 12:14
What a lovely post. :D I wish you all the best for the future. Goodbye, and good luck! :wve:

Ikas90
05-02-09, 12:15
Whatever makes you happy, go for it. I'm glad to hear that you've found someone. Relationships are very important. Still, you don't have to leave the forum just because you don't want to play Tomb Raider anymore. :D Heck, I only come on this forum for General Chat, lol. :p

Anyway, all the best for your future endeavours. :wve:

jaywalker
05-02-09, 12:18
Aww best of luck.. Its a fantastic feeling to meet someone and fall in love aint it :)

CerebralAssassin
05-02-09, 12:18
resistance is futile...you will be assimilated (again).:ton:

Alex Fly
05-02-09, 12:20
Goodbye and good luck for the future ! :)

interstellardave
05-02-09, 12:22
resistance is futile...you will be assimilated (again).:ton:

Probably very true... I play videogames more now than I ever have... and I play them with my wife too. :p

Jo269976
05-02-09, 12:25
I was worried it would be over something negative, but I'm really happy something so good happened to you that you're giving the utmost dedication to her :D

I also agree with your statement about older games, they have more impact than any recent ones on me also :)

Good luck for the future.

Bumio
05-02-09, 12:26
aww, sad that i haven't got a chance to know u better, and u are already leaving :(

odd that ure leaving a forum just because ure not interested in new games.
i haven't played a game in months, but i come here because these forums rock :hug:
best luck to u :hug:

Another Lara
05-02-09, 12:28
Aww best of luck.. Its a fantastic feeling to meet someone and fall in love aint it :)

especially when it's origins are online!;)

Good luck with it all, we wish you all the best!

raiderfun
05-02-09, 12:34
Good luck to you. But do not forget Windows 7 :D

Fdx Croft
05-02-09, 13:08
Luck in your life! I hope youll be visiting us someday again :D

ShadyCroft
05-02-09, 13:11
Good luck, Sifo-Dyas ! Wishing you the best, though I don't think you have to leave the forum. You can pass by every once in a while, eh ?

Well, I am like you in that part...

I think the videogame-industry is not as interesting anymore as in the old days (read: the '90s). It's too expensive; especially when you consider than so many games are much shorter than the ones that were released a decade ago (just compare the play-time of Tomb Raider: Legend with Tomb Raider III and you'll know what I mean).
Also: the evolution of videogames seems to go wy faster than ever before - to the point where a 2,5-year-old computer is not powerful enough anymore to run the latest games; even at lower settings.
I should upgrade my videocard but in doing so I should also replace my Windows XP with Windows Vista and I hate Windows Vista. I hate it because it's not compatibel with the older videogames which I still love very, very much.
So this is - both on a financial and a technical level - the point of no return for me.

Last non-TR game I bought was PoP Warrior Within, and the last TR game was Anniversary. I don't have any console and will not buy one anytime soon. I, too, think its way too exepnsive to buy games and console and stuff for, and not all the game I end up liking anyways. But I still play the custom levels of Tomb Raider and come here for the General Chat.

Sifo-Dyas
05-02-09, 14:11
LOL! :D

It's a funny thing how this entire thread may seem futile in that I may still come back every now and then just coz y'all are so nice and I like so many people here.

The reason why I said that I might not come back here is not because I dislike this forum or the people on it, but because I am a movie fanatic and I still love to play any of my (counting ... still counting ... 32 games) and that - in combination with the many, many hours that I'm going to spend with my girlfriend - may result in not having time anymore to actually visit anybody on this forum ...

Again: only time will tell ....

Bye for now

Marianna12
05-02-09, 14:24
I'm really happy for you and I wish you all the best!
Although that what happened to you is great, I see no reason to leave the forum! I'm sure you made some friends here...it's a pity to lose them! The main reason I come to the forum is to talk to some friends I have made and see other people's discussions! But, do whatever you like!
I hope all the best for you and your new relationship! :hug:

Hermina94
05-02-09, 14:47
this is so sad,but it will happen 2 everyone sooner or late

rowanlim
05-02-09, 14:53
Good luck & take care. All the best in your future endeavors & it's nice to know you're happy in love :tmb: :hug: :wve:

laralover_07
05-02-09, 15:07
Farewell Sifo-Dyas! :)

Good luck for the future and I look forward to the day you return to our humble community.

Benguitar
05-02-09, 15:19
I never knew you well, but I wish you the best in life!

:wve: :tmb:

Atlantisfreak666
05-02-09, 15:30
When I read the title I thought he was going to commit suicide or something.

Anyways, bye!

Legend Killer
05-02-09, 15:34
Best of luck to you in your new relationship there! :wve:

ShadyCroft
05-02-09, 15:39
ok, a little off-topic...

but Benguitar, your avatar...

:eek: wooooooooow!!!! light saber ?! cool !

back on topic:

The reason why I said that I might not come back here is not because I dislike this forum or the people on it, but because I am a movie fanatic and I still love to play any of my (counting ... still counting ... 32 games) and that - in combination with the many, many hours that I'm going to spend with my girlfriend - may result in not having time anymore to actually visit anybody on this forum ...

well, you can skip movie night once and come here for a bit. :D

Well, whatever suits you, good luck in whatever it is. :tmb:

Lee croft
05-02-09, 16:06
aww thats sweet i dont know you but...well good luck and good bye!