PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Speach on a Forum

larafan25
06-02-09, 01:29
I have just been thinking of this,and this thread is not to start a crazy freak out on the rules as I try my best to follow rules however they may be:)

But freedom of speach is pretty much being allowed to state your opinion on something(therefor this is probably a violation of the rules) and that is what forum are for,we discuss our opinions on subjects and people may not always agree.Freedom of speach does not mean that people can go around dropping N bombs and F bombs and the rest of them.So is there a tread where people can post suggestions for the forum to improve or change things?

:)what do the other members think of freedom of speach on a forum?

SamReeves
06-02-09, 01:36
Freedom of speech is decided by he who pays for the bandwith. Otherwise there really isn't total freedom of speech.

spikejones
06-02-09, 01:39
um.... oops. this site is hosted NOT in the United States. I don't think we have a first amendment right here. :pi:

I think there was a thread around not long ago about forum suggestions and what not. But for the most part we DO have freedom of speech. But when it turns to off topic bickering, that is when the threads are closed. And of course there are always the nonsensical game threads that get closed when there is already a full page worth of them. And of course there are the threads that are deemed unworthy of existence and better suited to open chat. But we still have the freedom to express our opinions here. As for cussing and what not, we have a censor in place to prevent that from happening. Bypassing the censor though is violation of the rules.

Why do you get the feeling you do not have the freedom to express yourself here?

AmericanAssassin
06-02-09, 01:44
I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time I understand where those who pay for this site and provide it to you for FREE are coming from. I used to feel the same way, but since I've been a member for a while now, I'm able to put it in perspective. Each year, at a relatively similar time, mods and admin attempt to clean up the forums with one clean sweep. Sometimes, a few bans are put out, but that's just the way it is. As long as you aren't spamming, you should be fine. ;) Freedom of speech is a very limited freedom, when you really think about it...

Legend Killer
06-02-09, 01:48
Freedom of speech is decided by he who pays for the bandwith. Otherwise there really isn't total freedom of speech.

Exactly :tmb:

spikejones
^ yeah... I'm not free to run up to the President and say "I'm gonna kill you you mother ****ing piece of **** moron that ****ed up our entire nation. Now prepare to die ass wipe!!"

I mean.. .I could.
But I wouldn't be free to walk away from there.

larafan25
it seems everything is really tight around here and I'm getting clostrophobic.

I remember when the DLCs were announced and people were talking about how they hated the idea of them being exclusive and people were eventualy being banned on the spot for it.

It seems there is never an actual warning before bans too.

:) and what you just said makes me think that there shouldn't be a rule like that here anyway,we are obviously allowed to talk about stuff that is ontopic,but I am not fully aware of why that rule is inplace:)

Quasimodo
06-02-09, 01:49
**** is the new ****. Asterisk you, man!!!

I guess it depends on how far you step over the line. Even then I've seen some perma-bans over I-don't-know-what-exactly was done to earn them, and some downright nasty stuff that doesn't seem to get the person a ban-cation at all. *shrugs* I'm not sure how it works myself.

spikejones
06-02-09, 01:52
I'm not familiar with the whole issue you are talking about with people being banned for talking about a DLC. I don't venture into the game section much... so I can't tell you whats up with that. Can you cite an instance of a post that resulted in a person being banned?

personally, as far as the game sections go - I think there is a certain amount of control that needs to be put in place by the staff in order to keep Justin in good terms with Eidos. I mean... it would suck for The Lord Regent to loose his connections and such because an Eidos employee was offended by some of the comments being made on the forum.

Quasimodo
06-02-09, 01:56
it would suck for The Lord Regent to loose his connections and such because an Eidos employee was offended by some of the comments being made on the forum.
Surely even Eidos understand 'the opinions made by members of this forum do not reflect the opinions of the administration'?

larafan25
06-02-09, 01:57
well for the whole eidos thing,I don't think that they are the ones that would be offended but more the fans for how crappy they treat us...but;)

I can't point out exact bans but I can remember lots of times that there is no real 'evidence' for the ban:)

spikejones
06-02-09, 01:57
maybe... maybe not. I'm certainly not in a position to profess to know the workings of their relationship.

Larson_1988
06-02-09, 01:58
@Spikejones, even if someone from Eidos got offended because of something a member said, the admins can't be held responsible for it. That's clearly stated in the T&C.

Quasimodo
06-02-09, 01:58
I can't point out exact bans but I can remember lots of times that there is no real 'evidence' for the ban:)

I imagine that's done sometimes to prevent further drama.

Each year, at a relatively similar time, mods and admin attempt to clean up the forums with one clean sweep. Sometimes, a few bans are put out, but that's just the way it is.
Really? I hadn't noticed this.

larafan25
06-02-09, 02:02
hmmm....well I still don't understand why there is no freedom of speech when it is already granted,also I understand that there is no swearing or offenses such as that...;)

Lara's Backpack
06-02-09, 02:03
There is no freedom of speach on this forum :p

Ward Dragon
06-02-09, 02:05
I remember when the DLCs were announced and people were talking about how they hated the idea of them being exclusive and people were eventualy being banned on the spot for it.

Most of the time, warnings are given via PM to ensure the person sees it and to avoid taking the thread further off topic. If you have specific complaints, please send them to a moderator via PM instead of complaining in a thread where a mod may or may not see it.

In general, I will say that the rules are clearly stated in the T&C, which everyone agreed to when joining this forum. The forum is privately owned and paid for, so the admin is perfectly within his rights to establish these rules and enforce them. Follow the T&C and you will be fine :)

larafan25
06-02-09, 02:11
This is not a thread for complaints:)

and all that other stuff I am aware of;)

Mr.Burns
06-02-09, 02:11
Go on any forum you want and you will see the same thing. If you wish to be a member of that forum, you agree to abide by the rules they set out. Break the rules and you get booted. The concept of Freedom of Speech does not apply here for two reasons:

A. This server is based in the UK and is subject to UK laws regarding free speech.
B. This is a privately funded and maintained forum so it is not subjected to federal laws normally reserved for public domains.

EmeraldFields
06-02-09, 02:21
What I don't get is why some things get closed while others don't. Especially the "Oh noes Announcement" thread which for 20 pages was almost all spam.

spikejones
06-02-09, 02:23
@Spikejones, even if someone from Eidos got offended because of something a member said, the admins can't be held responsible for it. That's clearly stated in the T&C.
been awhile since I've read the T&C so I won't dispute that. But what I will say is that I'm pretty darn sure that Eidos has no control over what can and can't be said here as it is not their site, not their server. That is all owned and paid for by Justin. And while its a generally accepted disclaimer that what is found in the contents of comments on a forum are not necessarily the views and opinions of the entity hosting the site, that does not mean that a person who holds interest in the subject being discussed does not have a right to discontinue relations with said entity. Unless there is a binding contract in place between the two parties, either is free to do as they please with their separate bodies. So... while Justin may not be held responsible for the contents of his site in a legal fashion, EIDOS can certainly deny further dealings with him. They may even (although I am not positive of this aspect) be able to go so far as to have him take down any materials on tombraiderchronicles to which they hold the copyright, despite previous permission being given.

Paddy
06-02-09, 03:21
Freedom of speech has its limits like all things, its not there to abuse like going somewhere and baiting or being abusive to members, its there really well IMO it is so people can discuss relaxing topics like games and tv etc, occassionally there will be debates on real life things like war and crimes etc.
Its how people react to other peoples opinions that determines whether theyre breaking the rules or not.

Draco
06-02-09, 03:29
Freedom of Speech would not apply to this forum even in the US.

Quasimodo
06-02-09, 03:29
How so?

Ward Dragon
06-02-09, 03:40
How so?

Freedom of speech only refers to the government not being allowed to restrict certain rights. Since this is a private forum, the admin is allowed to require people to follow certain rules which restrict speech (for example, not allowing people to post racist material). Pretty much every private organization has restrictions on speech for the sake of maintaining a friendly atmosphere. Even the government restricts speech nowadays, so the first amendment doesn't even fully guarantee that anymore.

spikejones
06-02-09, 03:49
nor does the second amendment guarantee us the right to "bare arms"

laralives
06-02-09, 05:36
My turn. ^^

I believe that no one can ever really have free speech, because no one sees the world or anything the way we see it ourselves. There will always be someone or many people that disagree with what we say. The point of censoring some material on a certain forum is to keep it clean, civil and tidy. If everyone were free to do what ever we like we'd be a huge mess no one would ever be able to do anything for the fear of being bashed by people that disagree with them. Plus, there are many ways to convey the same message without the use of certain words or so bluntly saying them so people either have to think about it a little more and if well educated will understand and respond civilly (not sure if that's the right word lol ) It's just communicating your free speech in a manner that is/won't be offensive to others to avoid conflicts.

:)

Trigger_happy
06-02-09, 09:36
Plus, on a smaller scale, the forum is basically self-regulating. People oppose certain ideals, and as such, will instinctively fight against them. This means certain topics just don't come up: why do you think, that as mentioned, the DLC topic has failed to come up lately? Its because people know that they will be flamed. To preserve the nice happy rosy atmosphere, you say nothing.

raiderfun
06-02-09, 10:29
All depends on the forum, and on the Administrator, who is the rules's manager, and he's free to narrow them. Of course, freedom of speech should be allowed, but it may offend some people, this is why there are rules, but, personally, I'm all for the freedom of speech, as long as it's interesting, touching the reality and into calm ambience :tmb:

Goose
06-02-09, 10:35
This is a UK server so it comes under UK law, which basically allows anything, except hate speech, which is pretty much anything that offends people. So freedom of speech in the uk, is freedom to say what you want about anything, but in a manner that is not offensive, unlike how freedom of speech appears in America, where you can be how you like.

To preserve the nice happy rosy atmosphere, you say nothing.

Thats pretty much the definition of freedom of speech in a democracy, and makes perfect sense. Your free to speak, and im free to go about my business without being offended by what you say. People can say the holocaust never happened if they like, but if they dont have real good proof to back up that idea, and a proper way of presenting it to everyone, they should just keep it to themselves.