PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates making a point, did he go too far?

oocladableeblah
07-02-09, 21:55
Bill Gates did something pretty crazy. Here is the article.
Linky (http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92249?fp=1)

CerebralAssassin
07-02-09, 22:08
Bill Gates did something pretty crazy. Here is the article.
Linky (http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92249?fp=1)

well,he's right!!why should only the poor suffer?:p

TRhalloween
07-02-09, 22:10
Instead of freeing the poor countries from Malaria? 0.o

Lara's home
07-02-09, 22:12
This is why I own a Xbox.
Bill Gates is Hardcore. :cool:

Punaxe
07-02-09, 22:26
Haha nice one. Here's the video (http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_unplugged.html), start at 5:00. The audience received it pretty well :p

lararoxs
07-02-09, 22:34
I think Bill Gates should be proud of that one!:tmb:

Why should poor people suffer when we could suffer exactly the same experience they are going through?

Epic win for Gates there.

Geck-o-Lizard
07-02-09, 22:41
Hell of a way to bring awareness to a cause!

On the other hand, his legacy may change from the t-shirt tycoon to that crazy mosquito guy.

Lew
07-02-09, 22:43
he makes a good point. on another note i hate that 1 billion (1 in 6 of us) dont have access to clean water, and our toilet water is cleaner than their drinking water. can't wait for my gap year to go help people out :)

oocladableeblah
07-02-09, 22:48
Haha nice one. Here's the video (http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_unplugged.html), start at 5:00. The audience received it pretty well :p
Oh there is a video awesome :D lol :vlol: he releases some into the auditorium.

Wana b like Lara
07-02-09, 23:16
:eek: DAMN! :vlol:

Encore
07-02-09, 23:48
Awesome :D :D

http://i44.************/ak90np.jpg
(:vlol:)

LaraLuvrrr
08-02-09, 01:31
^ :vlol:

IceColdLaraCroft
08-02-09, 01:41
he should've released bees!

croft94
08-02-09, 03:43
o.0

:vlol:
And I was going to boycott Microsoft...:p

rowanlim
08-02-09, 04:42
:vlol: Smart man. Great way to make a point :p

Ilie_Fusarau
08-02-09, 04:48
:vlol: Smart man. Great way to make a point :p
:pIndeed!:tmb:

Ward Dragon
08-02-09, 04:50
Awesome :vlol:

drakl0r
08-02-09, 04:50
Lol! A good one :vlol: But I feel sorry for the terrified attendees though..:D

Draco
08-02-09, 04:58
What the hell was his shirt trying to do?

spikejones
08-02-09, 05:56
http://i41.************/2iqo14.gif

at the risk of sounding like that which I am about to point out.

I think the point made here was that "the world hangs on the words of the rich and shall follow them into economic failure". I mean come on.... Bill Gates is one of the richest people in the world and everyone just loves to listen to the words of "the wise rich people". Yeah!! Gates is right!! We should do what he says!! We should do what all the rich people say!

But wait.... isn't it those rich people who are laying off their own customers? Oh no, its not like that really. Those rich people know exactly what they are doing to get the economy in order. REALLY? So, by only worrying about their own pockets and laying off the people who really make the company what it is, we're gonna get this economy back in order? Nay I say. Those rich ****s need to take a pay cut themselves and keep the workforce in place. After all, if everyone is laying off employees, everyone suffers from less customers. Its a continuous downward spiral.

More people working = less money for the big heads for a bit, but more customers = company makes money = big heads get their paychecks back.

Less people working = less customers = less money for the company to spend on workers = more workers get laid off.

HOW THE **** DID THIS **** GET STARTED?

Quasimodo
08-02-09, 06:14
I think the point made here was that "the world hangs on the words of the rich and shall follow them into economic failure". I mean come on.... Bill Gates is one of the richest people in the world and everyone just loves to listen to the words of "the wise rich people". Yeah!! Gates is right!! We should do what he says!! We should do what all the rich people say!

From what I gather he was just discussing ways to better the lives of those living in third world countries. What could be so bad about that? Do you just doubt the sincerity of rich philanthropists?

spikejones
08-02-09, 06:22
well excuse me for being concerned about our own issues.
I honestly believe that we as a nation spend too much effort giving handouts to everyone else. We spend too much time policing the globe. We should be focusing within the borders... not without.

If those people in other countries want to come over here... I say that they are more than welcome. Why should we focus our efforts and money to make their lives just a tid bit better for them over there?

Quasimodo
08-02-09, 06:27
You sounded like you had a lot of strong feelings for the issue and I wondered why. I didn't mean to come off as confrontational. Yes, I agree that it's important to focus on one's own problems before attempting go out and solve the problems of others. You can't continue to do for others if you don't take care of yourself first. Some of what you said reminds me of comments I've read/heard elsewhere over things like celebrities adopting orphans outside of the country ("Why couldn't the adopt a child here?" is a common one).

spikejones
08-02-09, 06:38
I am glad that you said that quasi (for lack of knowledge of your IRL name). I have no problem with people being philanthropists, but I feel as though it should not be at the expense of the people of our own nation. I may be wrong about this, but if M$ is one of those companies that laid off a bunch of employees like so many other companies, then that money that is going towards international philanthropy is in effect coming out of not Gate's own pockets, but from the pockets of everyone in America.

Quasimodo
08-02-09, 06:54
I am glad that you said that quasi (for lack of knowledge of your IRL name). I have no problem with people being philanthropists, but I feel as though it should not be at the expense of the people of our own nation. I may be wrong about this, but if M$ is one of those companies that laid off a bunch of employees like so many other companies, then that money that is going towards international philanthropy is in effect coming out of not Gate's own pockets, but from the pockets of everyone in America.

Now I think I get what you're saying. He's like one of those relatives that's always you "Now this is what you oughta do..."

Forwen
08-02-09, 09:15
Remind me not to invite this fella to a cruise on my yacht!

Lara's home
08-02-09, 09:53

Bill Gates is retired from Microsoft, no?

Goose
08-02-09, 10:28
I think he makes a great point.

But its certainly a double edge sword what he's saying. Live Aid, The Red cross, Comic Relief, Band Aid and the many other charities could have wiped poverty out numerous times over with the amount of money they have raised, but the fact is, Africa cant do it, or more accurately, wont. Ian Smiths Rhodesia vs Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe personify this aspect really.

Phys
08-02-09, 10:46
Whoahh xD

Drone
08-02-09, 13:11
well done BG :tmb:

rickybazire
08-02-09, 13:38
Haha, quite funny that!

Encore
08-02-09, 15:00
You sounded like you had a lot of strong feelings for the issue and I wondered why. I didn't mean to come off as confrontational. Yes, I agree that it's important to focus on one's own problems before attempting go out and solve the problems of others. You can't continue to do for others if you don't take care of yourself first. Some of what you said reminds me of comments I've read/heard elsewhere over things like celebrities adopting orphans outside of the country ("Why couldn't the adopt a child here?" is a common one).

Lol. This is pathetic. Doing something good is ALWAYS better than doing nothing at all (which is like, I don't know, what 99% of the TRF users do). :rolleyes:

How interesting this selfish concept of help.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-02-09, 15:26
I don't agree that it's wrong to encourage philanthropy if the people who would benefit are not living on your doorstep. I don't feel my neighbours are more deserving of my help than anyone else. We're all humans and we're all citizens of Earth.

spikejones
08-02-09, 18:01
Bill Gates is retired from Microsoft, no?
i dunno... i don't stay up on current events.
I don't agree that it's wrong to encourage philanthropy if the people who would benefit are not living on your doorstep. I don't feel my neighbours are more deserving of my help than anyone else. We're all humans and we're all citizens of Earth.
I never said someone doesn't deserve help. In fact, I said that we deserve help, but are largely overlooked.

anyhow....
how do you think that the more advanced cultures got to be the way that they are today? they learned things, they advanced their technology etc.. so why do these other countries not do the same? Perhaps they are content to live life the way they are. We citizens of the more "prosperous" countries look at the members of these "third world countries" as being poor and neglected. Don't you think that if a people as a whole was tired of living life in the trenches that they would do something about it of their own accord?

Quasimodo
08-02-09, 18:05
Lol. This is pathetic. Doing something good is ALWAYS better than doing nothing at all (which is like, I don't know, what 99% of the TRF users do). :rolleyes:

The stupid starts pouring out of me at 2:00 am :o

spikejones
08-02-09, 18:08

since one likes to throw the gauntlet of blame, accusing the masses of doing "nothing", what was the last good thing you did?