PDA

View Full Version : Donor Card, do you carry one?

digitizedboy
09-02-09, 05:46
This thread is just out of pure curiosity... but at the same time my questions are. Do you feel proud if you've given blood or a kidney? Has it changed your life? Or any other story.. please tell.. discuss..

hera7days
09-02-09, 06:26
Yep, according to my ID, if I die and have it on my person, my organs can be donated. It make me happy to know that I can help people from beyond the grave! Woooo! WOoOOoo!

I've never donated blood because I don't weigh enough. :(

Catapharact
09-02-09, 06:29
I donate blood on a monthy basis. I don't see it as an accomplishment; More like a civic duty for the community.

EmeraldFields
09-02-09, 06:33
I'm going to give blood this spring at our school's blood drive.:)

Voni
09-02-09, 08:19
I have a donor card, I've told ALL my family that I want my organs donated if they can be. No use to me if I'm dead, someone else can get the use out of them! :D

As for giving blood, it's something I really need to do. I keep meaning to! *makes note to DO IT this year*

Bumio
09-02-09, 10:15
i've donated blood two times, and both of them fainted. it was urgent, usually i would never sign up for this on my own free will.

im thinking about getting a donor card, to use my organs if i will die :)

touchthesky
09-02-09, 10:20
Yes, I carry a donor card.

I've never given blood but it was because of hygeine reasons (tattoos mostly) but next week the bus is coming to college, so I'll give then.

Knowing that 15 minutes of my time could save somebody elses life kinda..well..it needs to be done :]

MiCkiZ88
09-02-09, 10:43
Don't have one, but I could easily donate blood (and some even say I should) because of my 0- blood.

I'm just not really that fond of needless, so there's my problem. And I'm not sure if being underweight limits the possibility of giving blood as well. My dad wants to donate, but because of his health condition he can't =/ But he does carry the donor card.

digitizedboy
09-02-09, 12:10
I donate blood on a monthy basis. I don't see it as an accomplishment; More like a civic duty for the community.

That's an awesome way of looking at it.

It's great to see people doing this anyway. The reason I made this thread is because I'm thinking about it myself.

jjbennett
09-02-09, 12:12
I give blood every 3 months (UK limit) and have a donor card yes. My view is that if im dead my organs (and anything for that matter) aren't any use to me so why not help someone else who needs something. The reason i give blood is because A) it can save someones life for about 20 minutes of my time B) blood stocks are low and C) im a rare blood type that can be given to all O blood groups

I'm also looking into giving my body to medical science when i die as well, again in the hope it will help save someones life someway.

Reggie
09-02-09, 12:27
I've never thought properly about having a donor card and I'd have to give it a lot of thought when I do come to consider it. I've never given blood either because, as some here know I have a major needle phobia.

After reading people's posts here, I admire you all for you what you do. :tmb:

john_york
09-02-09, 12:44
I'm on the organ donor register. Heck, if I die, I don't need 'em! May as well just bury the 'shell'. It'd make the coffin lighter to carry at least!

As for giving blood - I used to, but now my blood's not good enough, apparently. :mad: damned homophobic blood people. mutter mutter

digitizedboy
09-02-09, 14:26
damned homophobic blood people. mutter mutter

what the hell! They ask discriminative questioning like that beforehand? What happened to equal rights?

mammacatta
09-02-09, 14:35
I used to donor until my vane bursted in the hands of an amateur. I have had sectio twice since then and nothing but trouble with the drugs and antibiotics I had to get. *grrrr*

But yes, they can take whatever from me, Im dead!

mammacatta
09-02-09, 14:37
I'm on the organ donor register. Heck, if I die, I don't need 'em! May as well just bury the 'shell'. It'd make the coffin lighter to carry at least!

As for giving blood - I used to, but now my blood's not good enough, apparently. :mad: damned homophobic blood people. mutter mutter

Ive encounterd that too, not for me but a friend. Hopefully it will change really soon. Pathetic uneducated stupid people - how can you redject perfecly good blood? Idiots is what they are.

mizuno_suisei
09-02-09, 14:39
When I'm 18, I'm defintely going to make sure that if I die, my organs will be given out. I dont see how people are not willing to give organs if they die, its not going to hurt getting them removed..your dead. xD

Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of syringes, I don't think I'd be able to donate blood, but I might build up the courage some day.

mammacatta
09-02-09, 14:45
When I'm 18, I'm defintely going to make sure that if I die, my organs will be given out. I dont see how people are not willing to give organs if they die, its not going to hurt getting them removed..your dead. xD

Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of syringes, I don't think I'd be able to donate blood, but I might build up the courage some day.

I started donate as a way to overcome my fear of needels.

jjbennett
09-02-09, 14:51

what the hell! They ask discriminative questioning like that beforehand? What happened to equal rights?

Well there are loads of questions you have to answer, if you've ever had anal sex, been to Africa and South America in the last 6 months etc.

As for the homophobic remark - they aren't being homophobic, its common sense. You could have a sexually transmitted disease (HIV) and not know - and if i needed blood i'd want to know it didnt have that thanks. Its not prejudiced to gay people at all, its just that gay people have a much higher risk of contracting HIV.

Please correct me if thats wrong if anyone can clarify, i just read the leaftlet once and being straight myself never think about the question when i tick "no" anymore.

john_york
09-02-09, 14:54
Well there are loads of questions you have to answer, if you've ever had anal sex, been to Africa and South America in the last 6 months etc.

As for the homophobic remark - they aren't being homophobic, its common sense. You could have a sexually transmitted disease (HIV) and not know - and if i needed blood i'd want to know it didnt have that thanks. Its not prejudiced to gay people at all, its just that gay people have a much higher risk of contracting HIV.

Please correct me if thats wrong if anyone can clarify, i just read the leaftlet once and being straight myself never think about the question when i tick "no" anymore.

It's not homophobic? Right.

If I have sex with another man, even protected sex using a condom, I am never allowed to give blood again. Ever.

If i have unprotected sex with a female prostitute (much higher chance of contracting HIV from a prostitute, regardless of their sex), I'm allowed to give blood again after a year.

Equality ftw, eh?!

TRhalloween
09-02-09, 14:55

But that's like saying all gay people have HIV.

jjbennett
09-02-09, 14:59
It's not homophobic? Right.

If I have sex with another man, even protected sex using a condom, I am never allowed to give blood again. Ever.

If i have unprotected sex with a female prostitute (much higher chance of contracting HIV from a prostitute, regardless of their sex), I'm allowed to give blood again after a year.

Equality ftw, eh?!

I don't think thats the case actually, as far as i'm aware the questions will completely remove doubt so in the example you gave *i think* there is a question which if you answer it with yes prevents you from donating.

But that's like saying all gay people have HIV.

Yes it is, i do agree, but its too large a risk to take. They are medical reasons and not just prejudices of the people who make the rules though mate.

And i think its a BAD idea to go any further with this debate in this thread, maybe make a new one if you want to discuss it?

EgyptianSoul
09-02-09, 15:01
Last year I read an article in a paper saying that nowadays straight people have a higher risk of getting HIV. Gays have become very careful and preach about safe sex a lot.

My point, homosexuality should not matter. Everyone should have equal rights to donate blood if they are healthy. In my country gays cannot donate blood just because they're gay, doesn't matter if they're healthy or not. :mad: That makes me angry.

jjbennett
09-02-09, 15:04
Right, i found the statement from the National Blood Service in the UK, quick overview in quotes, source here http://www.blood.co.uk/pdfdocs/position_statement_exclusion.pdf

* Blood safety starts with the selection of donors before they give blood.
By excluding groups known to present a particularly high risk of
blood-borne viruses, we are already reducing the risk of infected blood
entering the blood supply.

*We test every blood donation for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV),
hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), syphilis and human
T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV). However, despite improvements in blood
screening tests, a small number of infected donations may be missed
because of the window period between getting the infection and the test
showing a positive result.

*While safer sex, through the use of condoms, does reduce the transmission
of infections, it cannot eliminate the risk altogether. Men who have sex with
men continue to be disproportionately affected by HIV and account for 63% of
HIV diagnoses where the infection was likely to have been acquired in the
UK.1 Epidemiological evidence in the UK also shows that there has been a
significant increase in sexually-transmitted infections which can also be
blood-borne, such as hepatitis B and syphilis, among men who have sex with
men. Between 2002 and 2006, for example, there has been a 117% increase
in syphilis infections in men who have sex with men.

*Research shows that completely removing the current exclusion on blood
donation from men who have sex with men would result in a fivefold increase
in the risk of HIV-infected blood entering the blood supply. While changing
deferral to one year from the last sexual contact would have a lesser effect, it
would still increase this risk by 60%.

irjudd
09-02-09, 15:12
Right, i found the statement from the National Blood Service in the UK, quick overview in quotes, source here http://www.blood.co.uk/pdfdocs/position_statement_exclusion.pdf
Sounds logical to me.

As for the topic; no, I do not have a donor card because I am apathetic about organ donation.

No I do not, have never, and will never, donate blood. This is personal moral choice.

lararoxs
09-02-09, 15:17
As soon as I can I'm going to dontate Blood and apply for a Donor card:)

Hey, you never know, I could end up helping someone. If I'm lucky more than one!:)

jjbennett
09-02-09, 15:18
I got told its almost guaranteed you'll help someone in one way or another, it might not be in a "life or death" situation but could prolong or lead to saving someone life.

A lot of blood taken is used for dialysis i think as well.

lararoxs
09-02-09, 15:23
I got told its almost guaranteed you'll help someone in one way or another, it might not be in a "life or death" situation but could prolong or lead to saving someone life.

A lot of blood taken is used for dialysis i think as well.

Yep, bloods taken is used for dialysis. Been doing this in Science!:)

Thats got to be quite an amazing feeling to know that you can help people beyond life.

Is the UK Blood Donating age 18? Is that the same with a Donor Card?:)

jjbennett
09-02-09, 15:26
Its 18 for blood yes, the donor card is 16 i think.

My donor card is actually my driving licence, theres a code on the back that will tell whoever finds my body (lol) that they can use my bits.

Dark Lugia 2
09-02-09, 15:26
As soon as I can, Ill carry a donor card (ill have to find out the age for one now :p ), I have no use for mine when I die, its great to know someone can benefit from them :p

lararoxs
09-02-09, 15:30
Its 18 for blood yes, the donor card is 16 i think.

My donor card is actually my driving licence, theres a code on the back that will tell whoever finds my body (lol) that they can use my bits.

:tmb: Thanks for that! As soon as I'm 16, thats one of the first things I will do! Hurry up September!:p

I guess you have to keep your driving license with you then? Or will you be registered online?:)

Joely-Moley
09-02-09, 15:30
I think I'm registered as a donor, I checked the box when I signed up for my driving license anyway.
I tried to give blood but couldn’t because I have had a tattoo in the last year and because I have asthma. :(

jjbennett
09-02-09, 15:37
:tmb: Thanks for that! As soon as I'm 16, thats one of the first things I will do! Hurry up September!:p

I guess you have to keep your driving license with you then? Or will you be registered online?:)
Wherever i go my wallet goes hence i always have a licence on me yes. I should apply for a seperate donor card actually, its the same thing but means its a lot simpler to understand than a code.

Shark_Blade
09-02-09, 15:38
I'm not sure about donating organ yet, but I've started donating blood regularly on a once-every-three-month basis now. :)

woody543
09-02-09, 15:55
I'll be carrying a donor card as soon as I can.

As for blood, no sorry, even reading this topic nearly made me faint, I think in the UK its 18 to carry the card, but you can sign on to the register at 12 with your parents permision

Archetype
09-02-09, 16:04
Would probably be a donor, but I've heard alot of sick stories about people who have signed up to be a donor and have woken up in hospital with a kidney missing.

blood, I'm not so sure about because I hate needles with a passion.

woody543
09-02-09, 16:17
Would probably be a donor, but I've heard alot of sick stories about people who have signed up to be a donor and have woken up in hospital with a kidney missing.

I heard things like that aswell but it turned out to be the plot to a horror film. Silly me, i think it involved a bath aswell or something

Quasimodo
09-02-09, 18:07
Sounds logical to me.

As for the topic; no, I do not have a donor card because I am apathetic about organ donation.

No I do not, have never, and will never, donate blood. This is personal moral choice.

I respect that, but I'm just curious : how could donating blood be considered immoral?

Jo269976
09-02-09, 18:18
I will gladly donate blood, but there's not been a place nearby me to do it for a very long time.

In regards to organ donating, I'm neutral. I just don't like the idea of cutting me open and harvesting my organs when I'm dead, but I probably would do it considering it's a matter of life and death.

(Just make sure I'm dead before you start the harvesting, I'm already creeped out by the thought of being buried alive, let alone this :yik:)

da tomb raider!
09-02-09, 18:23
Yep, when I die some of my organs will be donated. I don't give blood, though. Makes me feel queasy just thinking about it...

irjudd
09-02-09, 18:26
I respect that, but I'm just curious : how could donating blood be considered immoral?
To be more precise, it's the use of blood in medical procedures I have a problem with, and by extension I feel like donating my own blood would be an indication of supporting the use of blood in medicine.

As far as morals go, in Biblical terms, eating blood has always been held at the same level of avoidance as idol worship and gross immorality. On that particular level, I believe that taking it into the veins is equivalent of eating it.