PDA

View Full Version : Baftas 2009

adventurerLara
09-02-09, 11:20
Who else watched the BAFTAS last night, what did you think of the results and nominations

P.S I loved the joke about the Jolie-Pitt family doing the sound of music:vlol:

Encore
09-02-09, 12:41
I'm just glad Rourke and Ledger won. :)

touchthesky
09-02-09, 13:28
The papers are having a field day because Brad and Angelina didn't win anything.

Nemo_91
09-02-09, 13:37
I'm so glad that Kate Winslet won for The Reader...hopefully she wins the Oscar too! :tmb: She would totally deserve it.
In the supporting actress category, I wanted Amy Adams to win but the award went to PenÚlope Cruz.
It was disappointing that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button won only 3 awards...it should have won a lot more, IMO.

And btw, Slumdog Millionaire is THAT good? :confused: It won 7 awards!

Dingaling
09-02-09, 13:40
I didn't think you could get nominated twice for two different films in the one category (like Kate Winslet). I thought you'd only be able to get nominated once but possibly for multiple films. It was a bit unfair as Kate Winslet had a higher chance of winning. I should note that I haven't seen the films Kate was nominated for nor did I have any preference for who won, it was just an observation.

Anyway, I did like when Noel Clarke won (a.k.a. Mickey form Doctor WHo) when he mentioned his wife the camera flicked to Angelina Jolie! :vlol:

Congratulations to all the winners :).

VonCroy360
09-02-09, 14:09
And btw, Slumdog Millionaire is THAT good? :confused: It won 7 awards!

Yes, it is that good, but it's also British - and it's more likely the Brits are going to vote for a British film. Nevertheless it really deserved it imo. :tmb:

In the supporting actress category, I wanted Amy Adams to win but the award went to PenÚlope Cruz.

Imo, Adams was very good, but Cruz was absolutely brilliant in VCB. The amazingness of her performance practically carried the whole film - something similar to what Ledger did in TDK.

As for the award show, I watched it online and I found the host really boring (while trying to be funny) and the way the presenters were obviously reading the text they didn't understand themselves was so embarassing. Who wrote this show? :confused:

Nannonxyay
09-02-09, 17:20
I don't understand how Slumdog Millionare won best sound. Wall.E should have won that. It's not like it's hard to speak to make sound in a movie. With Wall.E they had to use technology and write loads of music for it.

VonCroy360
09-02-09, 17:44
Sound Design can also be defined as: "The manipulation of audio elements to achieve a desired effect."

The sound award is not about recording the sound, it's the process of putting all of the sounds (effects, speech, musical notes, written music) together. Try watching a movie scene with your eyes closed and notice all of the little details that come into the mix. I agree that that aspect of Wall-E was very good, possibly the best one I noticed this year, but I can understand why SM won.