PDA

View Full Version : Bushfire Disaster in Australia

Nefertiti_89
09-02-09, 12:54
http://img.skitch.com/20090209-x68dttxgd4kae1ny4qcdnhkdmp.jpg

I don't know if the rest of the world knows, but currently the state of Victoria is experiencing the worst bushfire event in Australian history.

The death toll is expected to reach 200 by the end of the week, and thousands of homes and pets have also been lost.

There are a few members here from Victoria and I would like to say that hope they are are all ok, and that if there is anything that can be done to help, don't be afraid to ask.

I also ask all Aussies over 17 to please please please give blood. It takes a lot of blood to treat a burns victim. I'm going down tommorrow to give plasma. Please everyone GIVE BLOOD.

Bushfire update

Release date: Mon 9 February 2009

Last updated: Mon 9 February 2009
Bushfires

Victoria Police can now confirm that 130 people have died as a result of bushfires across the state.

For updates on fires in your area, visit www.cfa.vic.gov.au or telephone the Victoria Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667.

The Red Cross National Registry and Inquiry Service is taking calls about missing persons and registering people who are safe. The number is 1800 727 077. People who are overseas can phone +61 3 9328 3716.

A Red Cross State Government Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund has been established and donations can be made as follows:

* Visit www.redcross.org.au
* Phone 1800 811 700
* Visit any NAB, ANZ, Westpac or Commonwealth Bank branch
* Visit any Bunnings store
* Direct deposit to the Victorian Bushfire Relief Fund - BSB 082-001, Account number 860-046-797.

Donations can also be made to the Myer Bushfire Appeal by visiting any Victorian Myer store. All proceeds will be donated to the Salvation Army.

Police have requested that people not bring items to relief centres, but are requested to pass them on to other relief agencies which can help distribute the items in due course.

Emergency services would like to thank the hundreds of people who have contacted them with offers of assistance for bushfire survivors.

However, all resources are currently committed to fighting and containing the remaining fires and it is requested that people refrain from calling 000 or other emergency information lines with donation offers.

Police have confirmed deaths in the following areas:

St Andrews 6

Kinglake 35

Wandong 4

Arthurs Creek 1

Eaglehawk 1

Humevale 6

Kinglake West 4

Strathewan 7

Callignee 9

Hazelwood 4

Jeeralang 1

Flowerdale 4

Marysville 12

Hazledene 2

Taggerty 3

Locations U/K 6

Steeles Creek 7

Mudegegonga 2

Yarra Glen 1

Koornalla 4

Narbethong 9

Upper Callignee 1

Clonbinane 1

Total 135

Photos (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/slideshow_ajax.aspx?sectionid=9016&sectionname=slideshowajax&subsectionid=150966&subsectionname=bigfires)

Larson_1988
09-02-09, 12:57
Oh dear! Fire is nothing to mess around with. :( I sincerely hope this goes well.

Nefertiti_89
09-02-09, 12:59
Its just terrible, they read all these new names out whenever theres a news update, and so many of them are children, its heartbreaking :(

Larson_1988
09-02-09, 13:01
Yeah, it is. :(

But what causes these fires? Is it really that dry in Australia? :(

interstellardave
09-02-09, 13:02
This is awful... :(

You shouldn't have gotten rid of the details of the story in your initial post, though... it really brought home the magnitude of the fires, IMO.

Nefertiti_89
09-02-09, 13:05
This is awful... :(

You shouldn't have gotten rid of the details of the story in your initial post, though... it really brought home the magnitude of the fires, IMO.

Oh crapzors Ill put it back in. I'll link to the search page if I can for all the stories, I'm watching it all on the tv again and the burns are worse than those found on victims of the Bali bombing.

Here is the story I put in my original post clicky (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/748826/victorias-bushfires-compared-to-hiroshima)

jjbennett
09-02-09, 13:09

Yeah, the extreme heat can cause fires, but they are saying that some were started by humans. The prime minister said its "mass-murder" effectively.

ChocChipCookie
09-02-09, 13:19
It's been on the news a lot over here. My heart goes out to anyone who's been caught up in this, it must be truly terrifying. And to think some of the fires were apparently started deliberately, I can't understand why someone would do that.

Larson_1988
09-02-09, 13:22
Yeah, the extreme heat can cause fires, but they are saying that some were started by humans. The prime minister said its "mass-murder" effectively.

Crud, i didn't know that it was so extreme. :(

And it's most definetly massmurder when people starts this. :mad: I don't understand what's going on in their heads if that's the case!!

Reggie
09-02-09, 13:24
Does anyone know if Adelaide has been directly affected?
Hope there's no Australian members here that have suffered from this. :(

Nefertiti_89
09-02-09, 13:27

No luckily, Adelaide is in South Australia, but the fires have reached the fringing suburbs of Melbourne and concerns are rising about whether or not they can be kept out of the city.

mizuno_suisei
09-02-09, 13:46
Oh jesus, I know. Its been all over the news, those poor people over east. I wish all of them the best of luck with pulling through the sistaster.

mammacatta
09-02-09, 15:51
Terrible neews indeed. It was all over the news yesterday.

Ive heard that sometimes people dont think about what they throw in the bush. That it just as well could be a cigarettbut ot something.

Im sorry for the people there, and even more sorry that I cant do anything.:(

Pan
09-02-09, 16:22
Just awful, so destructive.

Lara Croft!
09-02-09, 16:24
I heard something about it... Terrible news

SamReeves
09-02-09, 17:16
Welcome to my hell as they say. Cali suffered its worst year of fires last May and June. Now we're looking at the same conditions again as it's still dry here.

Changeling
09-02-09, 18:21
Yeah, this has been all over the news over here. :( It's so tragic and devistating. Some of the clips they were showing were truly heartwrenching, I think I even saw one where a woman was telling a mother that her child was missing and they couldn't find them as of yet. It was SO sad! :(

Mad Tony
09-02-09, 18:25
Such a shame. :( I'm just glad my dad doesn't live in Victoria anymore.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-02-09, 18:35

Arson. It was started by someone(s) deliberately. It's a shame because SO much land has been burnt, entire communities are gone, people were trapped by walls of fire. It's really really bad.

ShadyCroft
09-02-09, 19:26
Terrible news ! :( I hope things get so much better and the issue resolved. And RIP those who died in the disaster. :(

Sir Croft
09-02-09, 19:35
My God, that's terrible! :(

Your_Envy*
09-02-09, 19:37
I really hope everything will be OK... Soon. :(

Trinity34
09-02-09, 20:36
What is the fuel reduction burning that was talked about in the original article?

ItsSian
09-02-09, 21:18
Horrible news. :(
can't believe how many lives it has taken already. Apparently my grandma has gone on holiday near there and we haven't heard from her yet :\

I feel sorry for anyone affected by this...

aussie500
09-02-09, 22:20
What is the fuel reduction burning that was talked about in the original article?

The fuel reduction is called backburning, the firefighters will light a small controlled fire in front of the main fire front. The smaller fire will be allowed to burn back towards the main fire, thus burning the fuel it would use to spread and containing the fire on that front. Unfortuantely it is not possibly to do in area's where the smaller fire would likely get out of hand because of the amount of flammable material available, or area's where access is not possible.

Chocola teapot
09-02-09, 22:25
The worst bushfire in australian history? :( that is Terrible news my heart goes out to australia!

GenyaArikado
09-02-09, 22:28
I feel sorry for the Australian people; thats why I dont like Australia(also that they have the half of venenous amimals on the world dont help)

Also: this was too Doppelhoe fault

Larapink
09-02-09, 23:18
This is truly a tragedy. :(

I heard about it on the news this morning.:(

I hope those people get caught for starting the whole thing.

Nefertiti_89
10-02-09, 00:07
Arson. It was started by someone(s) deliberately. It's a shame because SO much land has been burnt, entire communities are gone, people were trapped by walls of fire. It's really really bad.

No the original blaze was due to extreme heat and dry conditions, and would have been easily controlled until dillholes decided to start more fires god only know why people would be that stupid but obviously they are.

EDIT:
The death toll has risen to over 170 overnight, with more losses expected in the coming days.

Fallen.Angel
10-02-09, 00:39
Australia is my absolute favorite country, so hearing about this is tragic. I can't even begin to imagine the loss of the wildlife. I've seen images of poor Kangaroos, and it just makes me heart linger in fear, all the poor snakes, venomous/non-venomous. =[

But I can't believe that over 700 homes have been destroyed. And at least 150 people's lives have been lost. RIP to those and my prayers are with the families.

MattTR
10-02-09, 01:42
Aww.. very sad. :( We have a lot of bushfires here in Florida. If I were in Australia, I'd be donating right now.. :hug:

Good luck everyone.

Ikas90
10-02-09, 02:57
Sounds pretty bad. Drewy is from around the affected area too, but I don't think he's home atm. I hope no one from this forum has suffered either.

Mr.Burns
10-02-09, 03:20
Heard from Drewy today. He's okay but it might be some time before we hear from him.

Nefertiti_89
10-02-09, 03:35
^ Good I was getting a bit concerned! So long as hes okay thats the main thing!

the hooliganz
10-02-09, 03:44
Woah, I've heard about this last night.

I'm deeply sorry to all the people affected.

MyRaider4Life
10-02-09, 05:28

No parts of Adelaide and South Australia have been hit so far but they have said that there could be a chance we are next.
Unfortunantely I live right across from a dry little paddoc (in Sailsbury) which is very dangerous for us.
And one of Australias legends died in the tragic fire Brian Naylor.
Also an Update on the deaths, Almost 300 now :(

Tomb of Legends
10-02-09, 05:48
300? I dont think so, maybe in the 200's.

What a crazy country live in. Floods in my home region, and fires in the south of the country.

aussie500
10-02-09, 06:01
No parts of Adelaide and South Australia have been hit so far but they have said that there could be a chance we are next.
Unfortunantely I live right across from a dry little paddoc (in Sailsbury) which is very dangerous for us.
And one of Australias legends died in the tragic fire Brian Naylor.
Also an Update on the deaths, Almost 300 now :(

The official death toll when last l heard was 173 but police have estimated the final figure could reach 300, many people are still unaccounted for and searchers are still looking for bodies, some areas they have not even been able to get into yet. Also there are towns are still in danger from the fires and people have to decide whether to stay and try and save their homes or leave.

TRenTIs
10-02-09, 06:19
It's the worst natural disaster in Australian history. Entire townships have been wiped out. There has been lots of smoke in the air some days this week where I am. The death toll is much greater than Ash Wednesday. It seems as though there are news updates every five minutes about this. It's affected so many people.

EmeraldFields
10-02-09, 06:27
This is terrible.:(

Hopefully they will be able to stop it quickly.

Nefertiti_89
10-02-09, 06:42
300? I dont think so, maybe in the 200's.

What a crazy country live in. Floods in my home region, and fires in the south of the country.

Queenslander?

The news will be on soon, I guess we'll have a new death toll by then, but like Aussie, I heard they've predicted up into the 300's now.

MyRaider4Life
10-02-09, 09:00
I just thought of something. :)
What if all of us on the Tomb Raider Forums donate a small amount of money to the Bushfire Service in Australia (Only if you can donate money).

What I was thinking we do is we send the money to Justin and after half a month to a month he sends it off to the Bushfire Service in Australia.
I would really love to see this happen becuase it would be amazing to see other people from other countries helping out.

I have not discussed this with Justin but if anybody would like to ask him that would be amazing.

I just feel so sorry for all the families who have lost someone and for the people that have died. :(

ivannnnn
10-02-09, 09:48
It's very dry,,,I'm going scared.

Paddy
10-02-09, 09:53
I know what its like to have had my town hit by bushfires, the Canberra ones in 2003 were destructive, but this one in VIC is a catastrophe, and to think some ****wit lit these fires, they deserve to get a public bashing.
Then get locked for life for mass murders.

Nefertiti_89
10-02-09, 09:53
Update:

Death toll is now confirmed at 173.

To make a donation visit Red Cross Australia 2009 Victorian Bushfire Appeal (http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm)

ivannnnn
10-02-09, 09:56
Is the whole Victoria burned?

Bobsyeruncle
10-02-09, 11:57
It's the worst natural disaster in Australian history.

According to the Australian Government it isn't a "natural" disaster at all, but rather man-made, by persons with motives currently unknown.

This sort of thing isn't limited to Australia, although the most lethal fires have occured there-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Greek_forest_fires

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1567320/California-fires-Police-seek-arsonists.html

Ikas90
10-02-09, 12:06
Is the whole Victoria burned?

No, just a few parts of it. From Traralgon all the way up to Bendigo (and I passed through both areas recently, when I was on my trip :eek:).

I made a donation through the Red Cross.

Paddy
10-02-09, 12:08
According to the Australian Government it isn't a "natural" disaster at all, but rather man-made, by persons with motives currently unknown.

This sort of thing isn't limited to Australia, although the most lethal fires have occured there-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Greek_forest_fires

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1567320/California-fires-Police-seek-arsonists.html

It was arson, pretty much confirmed.

Rai
10-02-09, 13:30
This really is very terribly tragic. All those lives lost, so sad. My heart goes out to all those who were directly affected by it. :(

It is totally outrageous that idiotic arsonists felt the need to fuel an all ready terrible natural disaster, just adding to the destruction felt by whole communities.

MyRaider4Life
10-02-09, 21:27
I just thought of something. :)
What if all of us on the Tomb Raider Forums donate a small amount of money to the Bushfire Service in Australia (Only if you can donate money).

What I was thinking we do is we send the money to Justin and after half a month to a month he sends it off to the Bushfire Service in Australia.
I would really love to see this happen becuase it would be amazing to see other people from other countries helping out.

I have not discussed this with Justin but if anybody would like to ask him that would be amazing.

I just feel so sorry for all the families who have lost someone and for the people that have died. :(

If no one saw this I am just quoting it so that anybody who missed it or does not care about my posts :p can see it.
IMO this is a great idea and should happen. :)

GenyaArikado
10-02-09, 22:02
Update:

Death toll is now confirmed at 173.

To make a donation visit Red Cross Australia 2009 Victorian Bushfire Appeal (http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm)

God, thats a lot, poor people, Now a REALLY feel sorry for they

Paddy
11-02-09, 10:06
Over 180 confirmed dead last I heard :(
Such a catastrophe :(

Nefertiti_89
11-02-09, 10:26
Yup including a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids. :(

Ikas90
11-02-09, 11:15
If no one saw this I am just quoting it so that anybody who missed it or does not care about my posts :p can see it.
IMO this is a great idea and should happen. :)

What for? We pretty much have it in this thread. You can make a donation, as I have, by following Jo's link.