PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions, do you believe it?

Shark_Blade
09-02-09, 16:13
I heard some of these before:

- if a black cat cross your path, bad luck will follow you.
- a broken mirror means 7 years of bad luck. (sucks to be a mirror company innit?)
- if you found a four leaf clover, good luck will come to you.
- if two people walk on opposite sides of a pole they will have bad luck.

I however, do not believe in such things. I believe cause and effect, such as 'See a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck'. Well, I will because I have spare change for anything I want to buy next. :ton:

Encore
09-02-09, 16:22
Well, not really. But sometimes I will respect them - out of fun, tradition, heck, I don't really know why... For instance, I ask for a wish when I see a shooting star, etc. :p

Dark Lugia 2
09-02-09, 16:25
I studied superstitions once for an art project, I came up with a list of over 70 :/ haha!

I don't believe in the ones I've heard :p Unless you can count Karma as a superstition, I believe in that :p

LOL! I cant see that situation happening often :p

Kamrusepas
09-02-09, 16:25
Like Encore, I don't believe, but like to pretend to for fun sometimes :p

- a broken mirror means 7 years of bad luck. (sucks to be a mirror company innit?)

Well that would suck since I have a broken mirror on my wall :D (I made it specifically for artistic purposes)

ajrich17901
09-02-09, 16:27
Nope dont believe in this stuff lol

irjudd
09-02-09, 16:28
No, they are all silly and have some sort of inappropriate origin.

Neteru
09-02-09, 16:28
- if a black cat cross your path, bad luck will follow you. It's considered good luck if a black cat crosses your path if you live in the UK.

Fallen.Angel
09-02-09, 17:04
I only believe in the four leaf clover superstition. I was lucky enough to encounter a few in my life so far.

digitizedboy
09-02-09, 17:06
I don't really believe in them.. But I still avoid walking under ladders and stuff. Maybe because my life seems such a wreck and I don't want anymore curses placed above me.

Siberian Tiger
09-02-09, 17:07
It's considered good luck if a black cat crosses your path if you live in the UK.

I own a black cat, so she's crossing my path every day. Yay for me!

I am a little superstitious, especially about the splitting pole thing. But deep down I know it's probably a load of nonsense.

Changeling
09-02-09, 17:11
I don't really believe in them that much, but I still try and avoid them. Like, I would try to avoid breaking a mirror and I used to be paranoid about walking on the opposite side of a pole (I heard that it can bring bad luck and split your friendship if you do it with a friend) but I'm not really bothered about it that much though. :tea:

And who could forget the infamous Friday 13th? Oh look! We have one coming up :p

Oh yeah, and like Neteru said, in the UK it's considered good luck if one black cat crosses your path and bad luck if two do. :D

Reggie
09-02-09, 17:16
Not superstitions but I believe in negative and positive omens and I'm a firm believer in Astrology which ties directly into that belief. :)

digitizedboy
09-02-09, 17:20
Not superstitions but I believe in negative and positive omens and I'm a firm believer in Astrology which ties directly into that belief. :)

I like astrology, it's kind of a spiritual means of going about things. Beats any religion going imho.

dox online
09-02-09, 17:22
All bad luck for others brings good luck in my mind. (Must break mirrors!)

Psychos'Я'Us
09-02-09, 17:27
Nah...but I used to believe in some of them when I was little :p

Reggie
09-02-09, 17:31
I like astrology, it's kind of a spiritual means of going about things. Beats any religion going imho.

Exactly :)

I think there are greater forces at work than us and I mean take last week. It probably isn't a coincidence that the planet of chaos was at an angle with the planet of order and yet that was exactly how the week panned out. My week, no matter how differently I tried to control it, was going from chaotic to boring very quickly all the time. Its calmed down a bit now though.

However, I'm the first to admit that this is all just a guide. Its not meant to be taken as 'gospel' as such but its there to help kind of the like the weather report!

Spirituality is possible without being part of a religion. :)

Encore
09-02-09, 17:33
Spirituality is possible without being part of a religion. :)

Couldn't agree more. ;)

IceColdLaraCroft
09-02-09, 17:42

I however, do not believe in such things. I believe cause and effect, such as 'See a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck'. Well, I will because I have spare change for anything I want to buy next. :ton:

Cat's aren't unlucky, so no.
No it just means I have to buy a new mirror. This originiated because mirrors used to be REALLY expensive.
I've never found one, I think you're only lucky to find one, not WHEN you find one.
No. Just say 'bread and butter'

da tomb raider!
09-02-09, 17:48
Of course not. Superstitions are silly. Oops, I sure hope I don't get cursed for saying that.

LaraCroftRox
09-02-09, 17:49

- No, Kitty's are adorable!
- Nope.
- Yep.
- A pole? *Is being confused*

:o

Biddy
09-02-09, 17:56
I have another superstition. One that has been following me for 2 years. Every Tuesday I somehow get a form of bad luck.

Twiin
09-02-09, 19:05
It's considered good luck if a black cat crosses your path if you live in the UK.

Really? Never heard that one, and I live in the UK!

On superstition; I don't really believe, despite doing such things as touching wood every once in a while out of a force of habit if nothing else.

I do believe in natural karma though; in relation to social reciprocation, at least.

Also - it's Friday the 13th this month, and March as well! Odd?