PDA

View Full Version : [News] And yet another discovery in Egypt

ShadyCroft
09-02-09, 19:40
I know there are a few fans of the Egyptian civilization here, so I though I'd share this interesting article I just read. Well, Egypt apparently still has lots of things for us to discover (or maybe never ever manage to do so).

anyway....

CAIRO A storeroom housing about two dozen ancient Egyptian mummies has been unearthed inside a 2,600-year-old tomb during the latest round of excavations at the vast necropolis of Saqqara south of Cairo, archaeologists said Monday.

The tomb was located at the bottom of a 36-foot deep shaft, said Egypt's top archaeologist, Zahi Hawass. Twenty-two mummies were found in niches along the tomb's walls, he said.

Eight sarcophagi were also found in the tomb. Archaeologists so far have opened only one of the sarcophagi and found a mummy inside of it, said Hawass' assistant Abdel Hakim Karar. Mummies are believed to be inside the other seven, he said.

The "storeroom for mummies" dates back to 640 B.C. during the 26th Dynasty, which was Egypt's last independent kingdom before it was overthrown by a succession of foreign conquerors beginning with the Persians, Hawass said. But the tomb was discovered at an even older site in Saqqara that dates back to the 4,300-year-old 6th Dynasty, he said.

the rest can be found here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090209/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_mummy_discovery;_ylt=AnMuQKjdjKrC9uSSM3HL l5as0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpcG83NjIxBHBvcwMyNQRzZWMDYWNj b3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDbXVtbWllc2ZvdW5k).

Love2Raid
09-02-09, 19:42
Yes, amazing isn't it?

I have read it this morning and suddenly felt like playing the Last Revelation again..:D

It makes me wonder how much stuff there is still buried under the sand, waiting to be discovered...:eek:

Thanks for sharing! :hug:

Mr.Bouncer
09-02-09, 19:46
that's really interesting ...
the Egyptian Civilization is one of the most ancient ones among all aside Mesopotamia ... and each day comes we realize that what we've learnt abt it is just the surface of it ... who knows if those Extra-Terrestrial theories which some explained the way Pyramids were built were true or just theories ...

this may lead to another Expedition in Egypt but I don't think many fans will welcome the idea of a Return to Egypt as many said that they've had enough visiting it in TR1/TR:A n TR4:LR, as they prefer another un-seen locations to be visited in TR9 n the other following TRs ... about me, I prefer to visit Mesopotamia, we've NEVER seen this location EVER.

violentblossom
09-02-09, 19:52
WOW. I wouldn't mind playing a next-gen Ancient Egypt, and by that i mean not going into tombs as a present day explorer, but rather playing as a character from that time.. maybe he could have some cool powers and there could be a control system ala Bioshock.

Awesome discovery, though... did they ever find Nefertiti?

Trinity34
09-02-09, 20:29
I kind of have mixed feelings about all these excavations... I mean come on, this is people's final resting places. Why is it ok to dig them up now? Its like going to a cemetary and having your grandmothers grave opened up...

violentblossom
09-02-09, 20:41
I kind of have mixed feelings about all these excavations... I mean come on, this is people's final resting places. Why is it ok to dig them up now? Its like going to a cemetary and having your grandmothers grave opened up...

good point.

at least they are preserving it and not destroying what they find.. they are doing some good.

if they dug up my grandma so they could preserve her and take care of her, i might not mind.

Nefertiti_89
10-02-09, 03:43
Wow, good to know theres still stuff out there to find!

LaraLuvrrr
10-02-09, 05:56
Zahi Hawass is so cool. I wish they would find some new Egyptian architecture though... I'm so sick of mummies.. no one knows who they were. I wana see artifacts and architecture :D

EmeraldFields
10-02-09, 06:25
Ooh! Egypt has always interested me!:D

I would love to go there on vacation.:)

mammacatta
10-02-09, 08:53
On any other forum this news would pass as uninteresting, here we all wish to be in on it.
Perhaps something for the next TR?

Alex_
10-02-09, 09:26
Thanks for sharing :) Amazing find.

I so wanna visit Egypt, guess I'll have to do it alone someday since no one wants to accompany me...

Drone
10-02-09, 09:35
so another burial chambers ... how many people ancient Egyptians mummified anyway lol. 1000? 10 000? Just let them be

Rivendell
10-02-09, 09:41
I can't imagine how amazing it must feel to find something like this!
Thanks for posting the story! :D

ShadyCroft
10-02-09, 12:41
You're all welcome ! :D :wve:

so another burial chambers ... how many people ancient Egyptians mummified anyway lol. 1000? 10 000? Just let them be

But they are letting them be, aren't they ? They're just discovering hidden places.

Hanny
10-02-09, 12:46
Thanks for sharing :) Amazing find.

I so wanna visit Egypt, guess I'll have to do it alone someday since no one wants to accompany me...

alone?!
you forgot me ! :(
should take me with you :mis:
:D

*laralover*
10-02-09, 13:09
Thats so awesome! :D Thanks for posting!

Lara Croft!
10-02-09, 13:33
Thank you for sharing! I was in Saqqara last Easter... Too bad they didn't make the discovery back then...lol

Drone
10-02-09, 13:58
But they are letting them be, aren't they ? They're just discovering hidden places.

not always. sometimes they dissect bodies and re-mummify them to put in museums. that's wrong.

if they use it for science (to check dna and other crap) then it's ok but put them in museums is weird.

CrypticDream
10-02-09, 14:52
You're all welcome ! :D :wve:

It is a truly amazing find. :D
I know its all good to see whats there and everything, but actually taking all of them away, I dunno. It just feels a lil bit wrong for me. :o

rowanlim
10-02-09, 17:29
This is really amazing, thanks for posting.

Looks like Egypt has more treasures to share :D

CerebralAssassin
10-02-09, 17:35
nice to see that there's still things out there to discover...

it would be nice if some awesome undiscovered underground structures exist

IceColdLaraCroft
10-02-09, 18:52
Zahi Hawass is so cool. I wish they would find some new Egyptian architecture though... I'm so sick of mummies.. no one knows who they were. I wana see artifacts and architecture :D

I like Zahi, but I wish he'd step down and let someone like Salima Ikrahm take over. He's a bit ridged. He wants all of the pieces from museums abroad to bring their Egyptian pieces back to Egypt. That isn't the smartest thing when they could be stolen/broken en route. Yes they BELONG to Egypt, but its safer if you don't keep everything in one place.

I'm sure there are other structures to be found under the sands of Egypt. Be Patient :)