PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media customer?

Siberian Tiger
10-02-09, 01:12
I've just noticed that Virgin Media have changed their broadband packages: there's now a 10MB, 20MB and 50MB service and the old packages are gone. But I'm still only getting download speeds of around 2MB which is the old package, even though they don't do that anymore according to the website. Huh?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2

Anyone else noticed this? I think a phone call is about to ensue...

Larapink
10-02-09, 01:18
I noticed that, it's just best to phone them and see what's going on.

spikejones
10-02-09, 01:19
next time you get your bill, check what your plan is and compare ;)

For instance, Verizon Wireless no longer hands out the America's Choice II cellphone plans, and will only do the Nationwide plan. But those who got their phones activated on ACII do not get automatically upgraded to Nationwide (thank god since ACII is better anyhow). Unless it is part of your service contract that they can/are supposed to upgrade your plan when they roll out with the new packs, they don't have to (and sometimes even can NOT legally do that). You may wanna give CS a shout if you see that you are being billed more now and are not getting the higer speed.

crappy road runner "increased" the speed from 5-7mb and upped the rates by 10 bucks a month. I honestly don't see a flippin difference between those speeds. Gimme 50 up 50 down and then we can talk price increase:mad:

digitizedboy
10-02-09, 01:45
I have no clue about speeds to be honest, the days of 56kbps are gone, and all these ****ing companies can bull****e till we're blue in the face.

I'm with virgin myself, and the package I've got is decent.. doesn't alter the fact though that it's still expensive for what it is. Bring back the trustworthy telewest pleaaase!

irjudd
10-02-09, 01:58
Generally speaking you need to call them about it or you'll stay at your original plan indefinitely.

Spikejones, either you are only downloading from crappy servers or you don't pay attention, because a 2 megabit per second increase is quite noticeable in my opinion :pi:

digitizedboy
10-02-09, 02:03
Generally speaking you need to call them about it or you'll stay at your original plan indefinitely.

Spikejones, either you are only downloading from crappy servers or you don't pay attention, because a 2 megabit per second increase is quite noticeable in my opinion :pi:

virgin media isn't crappy, they're just a bunch a liars about the speeds they give out to their customers. :)

Larapink
10-02-09, 02:27
virgin media isn't crappy, they're just a bunch a liars about the speeds they give out to their customers. :)
I hope that's not the case...:pi:

Because I use thier broadband at home.

spikejones
10-02-09, 03:35

well tbh... I don't download the entire internet. I mostly just browse the forums, so there's not much need to have a 7Mb connection. 5Mb was just fine for me. anyhow... any massive downloads that I do run will end up being via torrent sites and well.. those just go slow cuz all the joe shmoes are only pushing out at about 20K max.

digitizedboy
10-02-09, 03:36
well tbh... I don't download the entire internet. I mostly just browse the forums, so there's not much need to have a 7Mb connection. 5Mb was just fine for me. anyhow... any massive downloads that I do run will end up being via torrent sites and well.. those just go slow cuz all the joe shmoes are only pushing out at about 20K max.

let's get the internt police! j/k

CerebralAssassin
10-02-09, 03:43

*gives you a shield to dodge the bricks* :pi:

spikejones
10-02-09, 03:59
le sigh...
go grab Vuze (http://www.vuze.com/app) and use all the features of it to find some great legal torrents. It's not like everything shared via torrent is illegal. It seems everyone has that misconception though since they feel like the only thing "worth downloading" via torrent must be illegal. Vuze is is great application. In fact, I think I may start spreading any future videos I make via torrent, just so I don't have to bother with screw tube and its crummy copyright rules.

irjudd
10-02-09, 14:12
Wow some people are dense.
I'd say that I've torrented more legal stuff than illegal stuff in my internet lifetime.

That's how I got the TRU demo the first time. That's also how I got several GNU/Linux distributions. :rolleyes: