PDA

View Full Version : Put your car keys beside your bed at night

Shark_Blade
12-02-09, 01:29
Got this in my email and thought I'd share. It's a good tip anyway. :) :

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents your Dr office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you meet.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around...

After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ....

This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S.

I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. A lady has suggested to her husband that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

Quasimodo
12-02-09, 01:35
Cool idea. We've already got the Glock Home Security System, though :p

God Horus
12-02-09, 01:42
That's actually a cool idea! I have a small remote which can start the alarm of my house. When the alarm starts the alarm company calls too, and if you don't answer then they send police over.

Quasimodo
12-02-09, 01:48
That's actually a cool idea! I have a small remote which can start the alarm of my house. When the alarm starts the alarm company calls too, and if you don't answer then they send police over.

Thing is, no one takes car alarms seriously anymore. At least not where I live - people just assume it was cat or a grocery cart or w/e.

ThatNorskChick
12-02-09, 01:51
^^ That's true. I never really think much of them when one goes off. But you never know, you might freak out the guy who's breaking into your house. :)

Sir Croft
12-02-09, 01:54
Thing is, no one takes car alarms seriously anymore. At least not where I live - people just assume it was cat or a grocery cart or w/e.

Change the sound of your car alarm for the sound of an air raid siren and I bet your neighbors won't ignore them anymore :p

rowanlim
12-02-09, 02:33
Good tips :tmb:

I ought to practice that hehe...Thanks :p

irjudd
12-02-09, 03:23
Assuming everyone in the world has a car equipped with an alarm system and a panic button.

MattTR
12-02-09, 03:27
My new car has an alarm and panic button, so this is an excellent idea, I was actually thinking about this the other day.. the button to open my trunk even worked.. :vlol:

Thanks for posting that, great idae. :tmb:

spikejones
12-02-09, 05:01
Assuming everyone in the world has a car equipped with an alarm system and a panic button.
ditto.
never owned one myself that had an alarm :rolleyes:
I have baseball bats and other items to be used as weapons though. I don't think a burglar generally carries around a gun. Those types would just rob you on the street. And if they do have a gun... they're most likely there to kill you and not rob you. Get in... do the deed.. get out. And take the screaming car with them.

Mr.Burns
12-02-09, 05:11
Cool idea. We've already got the Glock Home Security System, though :pGot the Mossburg system myself. The sound of that thing loading can scare the poo out of almost anyone. :)

oocladableeblah
12-02-09, 05:22
I don't have a car alarm on my car although I probably should since it is easy to break into. You don't need any tools at all, just unzip the window :whi: :vlol:... I live in like the second safest city in america according to some statistic thing in 2008 so I am not that worried, but still am conscious about it. I do have a steering wheel lock for it though so I have something to keep it from being stolen.
That's actually a good tip.

Nefertiti_89
12-02-09, 06:04
My car doesnt have an alarm or a panic button... but I do have the victorinox system on my desk, so I guess I have nothing to worry about?

patriots88888
12-02-09, 07:42
That's assuming the burglar/rapist/criminal isn't deaf and the neighbors aren't away!

Changeling
12-02-09, 08:35
That's assuming the burglar/rapist/criminal isn't deaf and the neighbors aren't away!

I'd imagine that would be highly unlikely. ALL your neighbours on your street are away? I know some streets are smaller than others, but surely there would be other streets nearby. :p And a deaf burglar/rapist/criminal? They need to hear things, like if the person they're burglaring comes down the stairs of if an alarm went off in the first place so they could haul ass. :p

trXD
12-02-09, 08:57
Good idea:)

I'd imagine that would be highly unlikely. ALL your neighbours on your street are away? I know some streets are smaller than others, but surely there would be other streets nearby. :p And a deaf burglar/rapist/criminal? They need to hear things, like if the person they're burglaring comes down the stairs of if an alarm went off in the first place so they could haul ass. :p
I think he was being sarcastic.

Shark_Blade
12-02-09, 11:03
I don't think a burglar generally carries around a gun. Those types would just rob you on the street. And if they do have a gun... they're most likely there to kill you and not rob you. Get in... do the deed.. get out. And take the screaming car with them.With the world today, nothing seems safe. :o

Like this incident (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=134661) where the burglars burst in a harassed the family in early morning. The wife got killed, the husband got man-handled but got away screaming for help from the neighbours while their child trying to escape by jumping from second floor window broke her hip and sent to hospital.

Endow
12-02-09, 12:19
Barbwire and lava pits worked so far.

interstellardave
12-02-09, 12:48
I sincerely hope people don't do this. Get a home alarm system instead, so it will go off only when someone actually tries to get in. I don't want to be woken up every night because someone heard an animal messing around outside their house, or a tree branch banged into the side of their house.

jjbennett
12-02-09, 12:50
Its a good plan IF you are sure someone is snooping around at night.

I saw a car once drive down our road a few times (i was up at 3am), so i went outside with the dog pretending to let it have a wee and it disappeared about 10 seconds later.

Pee beats Keys.

Lara Croft!
12-02-09, 13:08
I don't have a car, but still thanks for sharing!

spikejones
12-02-09, 13:28
Got the Mossburg system myself. The sound of that thing loading can scare the poo out of almost anyone. :)
:D
With the world today, nothing seems safe. :o

Like this incident (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=134661) where the burglars burst in a harassed the family in early morning. The wife got killed, the husband got man-handled but got away screaming for help from the neighbours while their child trying to escape by jumping from second floor window broke her hip and sent to hospital.
well... nothing is ever 100% sure:o

irjudd
12-02-09, 14:11
And now you're assuming everyone has neighbors close enough to hear you scream :p I don't!

Trigger_happy
12-02-09, 16:28
Ours are by the door, but you can't see them as the angle of the cupboard under the stairs door they're on it is a funny one. Plus, if the burglars are really determined, they might just come into your room and hurt you to get your keys.

Larapink
12-02-09, 17:15
I might have to do this when I get my dream car! :cln:

Cochrane
12-02-09, 18:00
Actually, there's reports of criminals who rang at people's doors, saying they were a neighbor and awakened by the car alarm. When the owner would then turn off the car alarm, the criminal would use that opportunity to steal the car... Which again goes to show that nobody takes car alarms seriously. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a potential burglar himself ignored the alarm, thinking it had nothing to do with him.

jackles
12-02-09, 18:06
And now you're assuming everyone has neighbors close enough to hear you scream :p I don't!

*makes mental note of this*

irjudd
12-02-09, 18:09
http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/shocked/Looking_anim.gif

Drone
12-02-09, 21:23
old method but works: just scream until it's over

rickybazire
12-02-09, 22:52
Haha, it will scare the living daylights out of the burglar lol :D

aileenwuornos
14-02-09, 09:01