PDA

View Full Version : There are FIVE of them!?!

EmeraldFields
12-02-09, 02:45
So, I was helping my little brother with his geography homework and he had to map all of the world's oceans. I was looking at his list and there were five.

Atlantic
Pacific
Arctic
Indian
Southern

Southern, wtf? There aren't five oceans. I told him that it didn't exist. I even looked it up in my brand spanking new, $150, National geographic atlas and it wasn't in there. He went back to his teacher and he told me I was wrong. I got on the internet and there really are FIVE now! They newly created the Southern Ocean which is located around Antarctica.

http://i39.************/eamr9t.png

Did you guys know this?:)

Immortalis08
12-02-09, 02:50
I suggest getting a refund on your purchase. :p

Otherwise, I must also brush up on my geography. Hell, I realized I forgot the capital of North Carolina! :o Anywho, I had no idea there was a Southern Ocean.

Tombraiderx08
12-02-09, 02:52
yep five oceans, known that for 2 yrs now :D

KyleCroft
12-02-09, 02:58
Oh... Thanks school, you taught me lots!

Shark_Blade
12-02-09, 03:05
Yeah get a refund for that book.

Thanks for sharing this piece of info, love learning new things. :D

edit: Found more information:

The Southern Ocean, designated as such in 2000, is a body of water that lies between 60 degrees south latitude and the Antarctica coastline. It's coordinates nominally are 65 00 S, 0 00 E, but the Southern Ocean has the unique distinction of being a large circumpolar body of water totally encircling the continent of Antarctica. This ring of water lies between 60 degrees south latitude and the coast of Antarctica, and encompasses 360 degrees of longitude. The Southern Ocean is now the fourth largest of the world's five oceans (after the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, and Indian Ocean, but larger than the Arctic Ocean).
Some of the current issues include -
impacts of global warming, ocean currents, environment and climate change research, fisheries

http://www.gdrc.org/oceans/world-oceans.html

Ward Dragon
12-02-09, 03:41
First Pluto isn't a planet anymore and now there are five oceans? I think they're just changing things for the sake of change XD

spikejones
12-02-09, 03:45
now I feel like a dummy cuz I thought that there were 5 all along. those you mentioned (sans the southern ocean) plus an "Arctic Ocean"

crap.. now I feel like a royal ass.. its already in the list. :doh:
geography isn't my strong suit. :vlol:

EmeraldFields
12-02-09, 03:59
First Pluto isn't a planet anymore and now there are five oceans? I think they're just changing things for the sake of change XD

I know, right? It didn't hurt anyone before, so why change it.

Immortalis08
12-02-09, 04:06
I know, right? I didn't hurt anyone before, so why change it.

Wait? You're Pluto? :confused: :p

At least I can tell my grandchildren that we once had 9 planets but one was destroyed by the sun, just for dramatic effect. That is why we now have 8. :mis:

spikejones
12-02-09, 04:10
wow!! the sun jumped all the way out there to kill pluto?!?

Immortalis08
12-02-09, 04:31

:vlol: Yes, that'll explain the fake "ice age" period we will have had when I tell my grandchildren. :mis:

oocladableeblah
12-02-09, 04:34
They should just stop changing things :p Pluto should be a planet again and stuff. This means that everything I learned in Geography class is wrong :(

Wait? You're Pluto? :confused: :p

At least I can tell my grandchildren that we once had 9 planets but one was destroyed by the sun, just for dramatic effect. That is why we now have 8. :mis:
haha you should that would be awesome.
Duh! You didn't know that, I hear it's making plans for another planet as well :tea:

Immortalis08
12-02-09, 04:36
The sad part is, if anyone had ever mentioned to me anything about this so called Southern Sea, I probably would've nodded in agreement without actually thinking about what they said. :p

Nefertiti_89
12-02-09, 04:39
LOL Nick you make me laugh! I swear I've told you something about all the oceans before!

Neteru
12-02-09, 13:05
And apparently there are now seven continents, where I was taught there are five.

ShadyCroft
12-02-09, 13:19
Ever since I was young I knew there were 7 (Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas, Antarctica and Oceania), that's what we were taught.

The Southern ocean, however, is new to me. :confused:

violentblossom
12-02-09, 13:20
Southern Ocean? that's crap.

Continents: North America, South America, Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia.

Nefertiti_89
12-02-09, 13:28
Southern Ocean? that's crap.

Continents: North America, South America, Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia.

Antartica is also considered a continent. :)

The southern ocean is incredible, the temperature drops, and the currents change all at this point and when your in a boat you can actually feel the changes its so insane!

Sorry. Marine science geek. I'll shuttup now lol. :)

spikejones
12-02-09, 13:30
Ever since I was young I knew there were 7 (Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas, Antarctica and Oceania), that's what we were taught.

The Southern ocean, however, is new to me. :confused:
you only listed 6 - "The Americas" is not 1 continent. it is "South America" and "North America" (putting others before myself ;) )

but wait!! Europe and Asia aren't separate continents technically. It is technically "Eurasia"!:p

Im waiting till they either demote a sea to the status of "bay" or vice versa. Then the song "sweet dreams" will be wrong - you can't travel the world and the seven seas if there are only 6 :yik:

interstellardave
12-02-09, 13:33
What is the definition of continent these days, anyway? Oceania must be Australia and surrounding islands... but I'm pretty sure that Europe and Asia weren't always classified as separate. Eurasia was one continent back in the day, I think I remember...

I've always viewed North America, South America, Africa, Eurasia, Australia and Antartica as continents... that's six large contiguous bodies of land. Now they may be breaking them up by plate boundaries... but then India would technically be it's own continent; they call it "subcontinent" anyway...

And the oceans are all mixed up; I don't see how you can have an ocean carved out of all the other oceans, like "Southern Ocean" is. Maybe they classify it differently because the cold makes it different...

violentblossom
12-02-09, 13:36
Antartica is also considered a continent. :)

The southern ocean is incredible, the temperature drops, and the currents change all at this point and when your in a boat you can actually feel the changes its so insane!

Sorry. Marine science geek. I'll shuttup now lol. :)

oh i did forget Antartica :p.

lol, really? thanks for that info on the Southern Ocean.. that's cool.

Neteru
12-02-09, 13:41
On the continents, I've said it before here. I was taught that there is Europe, Asia, Australasia, Antarctica and America. Moreover, this is embodied in the Olympics flag with five rings, one for each continent.

Obviously opinion changes, as with planets previously mentioned and now with seas.

Nefertiti_89
12-02-09, 13:41
oh i did forget Antartica :p.

lol, really? thanks for that info on the Southern Ocean.. that's cool.

Lol no probs :)

If you ever get the chance to get the boat out from Tasmania to the Southern Ocean its well worth it because you actually sort of...its hard to explain, you feel the currents change, its suddenly kinda calm after the rough as guts journey to get there. Its incredible!

Punaxe
12-02-09, 13:48
http://static1.videosift.com/thumbs/h/ow/How_many_lights_do_you_see_Captain_Great_Picard_Mo ment.jpg

There are FOUR oceans!

But yeah it seems up to interpretation, or maybe up to context. I think 10-15 years ago, whenever it was, I did learn about the Arctic Ocean, except we called it a sea. We did group it with the other big waters though.

Elmer
12-02-09, 13:51
And apparently there are now seven continents, where I was taught there are five.

Really?:S

*Africa
*Arctic
*Asia
*Europe
*North America
*Oceania
*South America

I hope this is right:)

interstellardave
12-02-09, 13:56
As Neteru says this is opinion more than anything else. The definition of "continent" and "ocean" has obviously changed over the years--and can certainly change again at any time. Just so long as you have a general knowledge of where things are, where most countries are, etc., you're fine.

Draco
12-02-09, 17:39
I have an idea, let's just call it Land...and Not Land.

Dark Lugia 2
12-02-09, 17:43
3 years ago we were taught that Australasia is a continent? I have never heard of it, before and after that lesson XD

Dia2blo
12-02-09, 17:51
On the continents, I've said it before here. I was taught that there is Europe, Asia, Australasia, Antarctica and America. Moreover, this is embodied in the Olympics flag with five rings, one for each continent.

Obviously opinion changes, as with planets previously mentioned and now with seas.

Same. I'm actually worried now as i'm questioning my education :S And why has no-one else mentioned australasia? :S:S

Joely-Moley
12-02-09, 17:54
I've never heard of a 5th ocean :confused:
Hmm that's very intresting.

ShadyCroft
12-02-09, 18:18
you only listed 6 - "The Americas" is not 1 continent. it is "South America" and "North America" (putting others before myself )

Well I did mean by "The Americas" both Latin and North America, but I guess I quickly wrote a word that's, now I see it, a literal translation from what we call them in Arabic. ;)

And why has no-one else mentioned australasia? :S:S

I've never encountered this one before. Its always been Oceania for me (Australia + New Zealand + other small surrounding islands)

But yeah, I guess Net's right.

Lemmie
12-02-09, 19:43
For me there are five oceans and seven continents.

But there are many more than seven seas! :P

Ward Dragon
12-02-09, 19:44

What about Africa? I'm not sure where it would fit in under those five categories :confused:

toxicraider
12-02-09, 19:58
I'm pretty sure the 5 are;
North Atlantic
South Atlantic
Pacific
Indian
Arctic

At least that's how I learnt it, and it wasn't that long ago.

As far as Continents are concerned, we learnt;
Asia
Europe
N America
S America
Africa
Australasia
Antarctica
But from a technical point of view, Eurasia is a single continent as it shares a Continental plate, whilst India and the Middle East exist as subcontinents :o

Larapink
12-02-09, 20:03
Yeah I knew about the southern or (South Atlantic) ocean, there are indeed 5 oceans. :D

whilst India and the Middle East exist as subcontinents :o
India is in Asia. :)

Middle east is just the middle east you can consider that as a subcontinent of it's own.

toxicraider
12-02-09, 20:07
The International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) regards the Southern Ocean as the fourth-largest of the five principal oceanic divisions and the latest-defined one. The IHO promulgated the decision on its existence in 2000, though many mariners have long regarded the term as traditional. The Southern Ocean appeared in the IHO's Limits of Oceans and Seas second edition (1937), disappeared from the third edition (1957), and re-surfaced in the fourth edition (not yet[update] formally adopted due to a number of unresolved disputes, including the lodgement of a reservation by Australia).[2] This change reflects the importance placed by oceanographers on ocean currents.

Hmm I probably just missed learning about it then :o

Neteru
12-02-09, 20:17
What about Africa? I'm not sure where it would fit in under those five categories :confused:OOPS. :D I meant Africa and for some bizarre reason wrote Antarctica! LOL God knows what was going through my head.

Ward Dragon
12-02-09, 20:25
OOPS. :D I meant Africa and for some bizarre reason wrote Antarctica! LOL God knows what was going through my head.

Ah, now it makes sense :D

CerebralAssassin
12-02-09, 20:37
I've never heard of a "Southern" ocean before :p

and anyway...what are the conditions that a body of water has to fulfill in order for it to be dubbed an "ocean"?isn't it supposed to be " a large distinct body of water that only makes contact with other bodies in few places"?:p.if that's the case then the "southern" ocean can't really be an ocean now can it?:p

and about Pluto....why is it not a planet?does it not revolve around the sun?:p

spikejones
12-02-09, 20:37
I've always viewed North America, South America, Africa, Eurasia, Australia and Antartica as continents... that's six large contiguous bodies of land. Now they may be breaking them up by plate boundaries... but then India would technically be it's own continent; they call it "subcontinent" anyway...

its been pointed out already, but I already had the multiquote button on so I will say it anyhow. Eurasia is all on one contintetal plate - no subdivision exists except for cultural one and perhaps skin tone. This I think (but am no expert) was the reasoning behind classing Europe and Asia as different continets. They should just call it "that really big land mass over there"
Well I did mean by "The Americas" both Latin and North America, but I guess I quickly wrote a word that's, now I see it, a literal translation from what we call them in Arabic. ;)

I've never encountered this one before. Its always been Oceania for me (Australia + New Zealand + other small surrounding islands)

But yeah, I guess Net's right.
stop sucking up to he who can not be seen but is everywhere all at once.

i figured you were trying to write it fast and classed them together for brevity. technically incorrect though - and I nit picked since I live on one of those islands.
OOPS. :D I meant Africa and for some bizarre reason wrote Antarctica! LOL God knows what was going through my head.the penguinator!
and no... I wasn't comparing you to "God", so don't get your ego up buddy.:p

Ariel
12-02-09, 20:40
well that's new to me

hollister
12-02-09, 20:41
no wonder why when my teacher told the class to name the 5 oceans i was like what:confused::confused::confused: lmao.

spikejones
12-02-09, 20:46
i suppose the schools will have to be buying new globes now as well!

Teacher: "okay class.... everyone look at their globes and find the 'southern ocean'."
Class: "you're stupid missus poopy head.. there's no 'southern ocean', SEE!!!"

and about the plates... looks like part of
Asia is on the North American Plate? And the Caribbean islands are on their own plate. but talking semantics and not technicalities.... it is not "big enough" to be a continent.
http://i42.************/5kkf36.gif

Neteru
12-02-09, 20:47
the penguinator!
and no... I wasn't comparing you to "God", so don't get your ego up buddy.:p

I'll try not to. But if I feel I'm in danger of slipping, I'll call you for help.

Anyway, yes, He who is of the cold environs (may hosts of blessed fish in their multitudes rain down upon Him. Amen). We'll blame Him. They say god moves in mysterious ways anyway.

EDIT: ^Juan de Fuca? :vlol: Sounds like a pesky Mexican who spends his time annoying Californians.

Drone
12-02-09, 21:28
lol nothing surprises me. maybe there are already 6 or 7 oceans :vlol:

Ikas90
13-02-09, 02:40
Southern Ocean = Antarctic Ocean.

Geographically, I think it shouldn't be an ocean. It's in the same huge open area connecting the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. So the water surrounding Antarctica should be divided into those three oceans.

MattTR
13-02-09, 02:48

Geographically, I think it shouldn't be an ocean. It's in the same huge open area connecting the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. So the water surrounding Antarctica should be divided into those three oceans.

That's right, but I thought there were more, like the Mediterranean Ocean, Black/Red sea? :p Alright, yeah I'm lost.

Anyways, you learn something new every day I guess.

Nefertiti_89
13-02-09, 02:55

That's right, but I thought there were more, like the Mediterranean Ocean, Black/Red sea? :p Alright, yeah I'm lost.

Anyways, you learn something new every day I guess.

Its hard to understand but it really is a lot different to the oceans that border it. There may not be a land barrier as there is in the mediterranean or separating the Atlantic and Pacific, but there is a definite barrier that you have to see and feel to belive. Its more of a magnetic/current/temperature boundary.

Trust me it definitely exists! :D

Jack Croft
13-02-09, 10:04
Southern Ocean :confused:

spikejones
14-02-09, 03:25
EDIT: ^Juan de Fuca? :vlol: Sounds like a pesky Mexican who spends his time annoying Californians.

I shall share that laugh with you :vlol: that seriously had me "EL-OH-EL-ing" :vlol:

Gladous
14-02-09, 04:01
:cen:

I've been cheated and lied too! :(

Ok, I just had a geography test a few weeks ago and they said absolutely nothing about a Southern Ocean?! :tea:

RAID
14-02-09, 06:53
They newly created the Southern Ocean which is located around Antarctica.

Who's "They"? :p