PDA

View Full Version : The octuplet mom. What are your feelings?

violentblossom
12-02-09, 14:19
She already had 6.. and with the addition of her octuplets, that means 14 children total.

http://i41.************/35wld.jpg

She's not wealthy by any means, and her mother has spoken out and said that she's tired of taking care of the first 6 kids.

Nadya Suleman says she loves her children more than anything and all she has ever wanted was children, but 14 seems like a big load to carry. She has appeared on t.v quite a few times now, and seems pretty happy.

What are your feelings on the situation? Does she have what it takes to raise these kids, and was it morally right of her to go on fertility drugs with so many children already?

Raising 14 children to adulthood will cost in total around 1.5 million dollars.. so is it right for her to ask for donations?

rowanlim
12-02-09, 14:33
I thought the issue around the recent birth(s) of her children is that the procedures of implanting the embryos in her womb is against the guideline set by the Medical Board of California (I'm translating from a Malay newspaper, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally I wouldn't have children if I can't afford to raise them. Love isn't always enough these days. I'm not sure if she has a right to ask for donations, but it's none of my business if people want to help her.

violentblossom
12-02-09, 14:35
I thought the issue around the recent birth(s) of her children is that the procedures of implanting the embryos in her womb is against the guideline set by the Medical Board of California (I'm translating from a Malay newspaper, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally I wouldn't have children if I can't afford to raise them. Love isn't always enough these days. I'm not sure if she has a right to ask for donations, but it's none of my business if people want to help her.

you may be right about the procedures, i might be the one who read wrong. :) i'll have to go read somewhere and find out for sure.

Mr.Burns
12-02-09, 14:42
The kids should be removed from their mother. No single, unemployed mother would in their right might, take on an additional 8 kids on top of the 6 she currently has.

Nefertiti_89
12-02-09, 14:52
I think that if you already have 6 kids, why are you trying IVF, there is obviously not a problem.
I also think that doctor needs to have his license removed because thats so irresponsible of him to implant that many embryos its insane!

rowanlim
12-02-09, 14:55
LP, isn't that like infringing on her personal right to have kids? If that's a valid argument. I don't support what she's doing but, well, what if?

Mr.Burns
12-02-09, 15:01
LP, isn't that like infringing on her personal right to have kids? If that's a valid argument. I don't support what she's doing but, well, what if?

I don't recall there being a law giving people the right to have as many kids as they want (could be wrong). However, if she's unable to find work, receiving disability, food stamps and her own mother wants nothing to do with this, then the woman is incapable of caring for these kids. Even with donations, raising even two kids can be a major handful, let alone 14. She's endangering their welfare by making such a rash decision without taking into account the financial and emotional burden she's placed on herself, her family and the taxpayers, which would have to foot the bill if she receives more government assistance.

violentblossom
12-02-09, 15:04
I don't recall there being a law giving people the right to have as many kids as they want (could be wrong). However, if she's unable to find work, receiving disability, food stamps and her own mother wants nothing to do with this, then the woman is incapable of caring for these kids. Even with donations, raising even two kids can be a major handful, let alone 14. She's endangering their welfare by making such a rash decision without taking into account the financial and emotional burden she's placed on herself, her family and the taxpayers, which would have to foot the bill if she receives more government assistance.

Also, 3 of the first 6 have disabilities.

Legend Killer
12-02-09, 15:08
I'm still trying to fathom why her doctor didn't intervene on this one. If this goes to TLC I'm not going to watch it. This is just too much burden for a single parent.

touchthesky
12-02-09, 15:10
The kids should be removed from their mother. No single, unemployed mother would in their right might, take on an additional 8 kids on top of the 6 she currently has.

I agree with this. Imagine if 5/6/7/8 of those kids starting crying at once...wtf is she going to do? If two are in potential danger at once..wtf is she meant to do? She is putting unneccaserry (woah, major spelling error there) danger on these babies. It's not fair.

Mr.Burns
12-02-09, 15:11
I'm still trying to fathom why her doctor didn't intervene on this one. If this goes to TLC I'm not going to watch it. This is just too much burden for a single parent.

15 minutes of fame I suppose.

@Violet: ah yes, I forgot about that. Just compounds the issue. She clearly wasn't in any state of mind to make a proper decision regarding this. If the state doesn't intervene, I'll be shocked.

violentblossom
12-02-09, 15:12
I agree with this. Imagine if 5/6/7/8 of those kids starting crying at once...wtf is she going to do? If two are in potential danger at once..wtf is she meant to do? She is putting unneccaserry (woah, major spelling error there) danger on these babies. It's not fair.

not only that but according to her, she holds each of her newborns 45 minutes a day.. that's not enough! 45 minutes? how the heck do you bond like that?!

i'm sure the state will intervene.. she's pretty alone in her fight. her mom doesn't even want to rally for her.

Benguitar
12-02-09, 15:12

Yeah unfortunately.

I think she is being a bit arrogant about the whole thing. :pi:

patriots88888
12-02-09, 15:16
It's a classic example of the reality which is so prevelant in society today. Many people want kids but don't want the responsibilities that goes with it!

rowanlim
12-02-09, 15:25

It's a classic example of the reality which is so prevelant in society today. Many people want kids but don't want the responsibilities that goes with it!

I agree. I understand better after reading both of your posts. It's like pitting her desire for more children (when she can't manage them all) against the expense of the state.

interstellardave
12-02-09, 15:36
If she could raise them all herself then she'd have the Right to keep having kids. By not having the means to do so, being on public assistance, etc., then she no-longer has the Right to just keep having kids, IMO. We, as taxpayers, should have a say on the issue--or the State should have a say on our behalf.

This is the inherent problem with "The Nanny State" of course, but we have it so we got to deal with it as is.

irjudd
12-02-09, 15:52
I personally think that the Doctor who planted the embryos should be held accountable, stripped of his license to practice and forced to pay child support.

After all, he went against guidelines.

But will that happen? No. Our taxes will pay for this instead.

violentblossom
12-02-09, 16:03
I personally think that the Doctor who planted the embryos should be held accountable, stripped of his license to practice and forced to pay child support.

After all, he went against guidelines.

But will that happen? No. Our taxes will pay for this instead.

i think they are planning to investigate the dude. or so i heard.

Nefertiti_89
12-02-09, 16:04
i think they are planning to investigate the dude. or so i heard.

Yeah I heard hes had about 9 complaints against him from previous patients too.

rowanlim
12-02-09, 16:11
If this were to happen in Malaysia, I doubt there would be so much resistance :(

Rai
12-02-09, 16:33
When I first heard about this woman, I assumed she was an IVF patient who'd finally gotten lucky with her treatment and having eight babies was a bonus (of sorts). I was pleased for her and wished her well.

Since learning that she is a single mum who already has six children, I now think she is irresponsible and selfish; The doctor who treated her too, his actions definitely need to be questioned. I read in one report that she wanted a lot of kids because she was lonely. What sort of reasoning is that to have children? How many woman are there who struggle to conceive just one baby?

I wish her children luck as I can't see how this woman is going to cope with so many. If she is getting donations, how can we be sure the money will benefit the children directly. And what about individual attention? Basic care? There have been reports that her house is already overflowing with clothes and stuff that there isn't space for. She should have been concentrating on the children she already has rather than bringing eight more into the world. I'm sure she loves her kids, but that isn't always enough to make sure your children are well cared for, especially if her own mother isn't supporting her in this.

ShadyCroft
12-02-09, 16:44
Yeah, I know, children are a bliss, but this is just too much for a single, unemployed woman.

I'm not so sure about what should be done, seeing as I hate for her to go through a lot (the media's hype I guess is enough), but these children need excellent care, and I think she might not be able to provide it.

Joely-Moley
12-02-09, 17:02
I think this woman’s just looking for her 15minitues and it's ridiculous.
Having six kids already and saying that she found that hard to struggle with financially and then bringing another eight into the world?

It’s madness that being single, unemployed and still living at home she’s allowed to keep them.

For the record, no I have nothing against single parents, or unemployed parents, but getting IVF treatment when you already have six children struggling to support at home is just wrong.

Doesn’t the IVF cost a lot of money too, I haven’t read too much on her situation, but couldn’t she be putting that money towards the children she already has.

violentblossom
12-02-09, 17:07
I think this womanís just looking for her 15minitues and it's ridiculous.
Having six kids already and saying that she found that hard to struggle with financially and then bringing another eight into the world?

Itís madness that being single, unemployed and still living at home sheís allowed to keep them.

For the record, no I have nothing against single parents, or unemployed parents, but getting IVF treatment when you already have six children at home struggling to support at home is just wrong.

Doesnít the IVF cost a lot of money too, I havenít read too much on her situation, but couldnít she be putting that money towards the children she already has.

yeah, you're totally right.

if she wanted her 15 minutes, she could have just gone onto one of those trashy VH1 shows.

at least Angelina Jolie has the funds and whatnot.. some people think that's what she's trying to be.

Joely-Moley
12-02-09, 17:19
yeah, you're totally right.

if she wanted her 15 minutes, she could have just gone onto one of those trashy VH1 shows.

at least Angelina Jolie has the funds and whatnot.. some people think that's what she's trying to be.

Exactly, itís like sheís exploiting her children so she can get fame, then asking people to give her money to raise them.
Yeah, I find it funny Angelina is a multi- millionaire and adopts children who are from a poor background and in need of a loving family.
This woman is basically bringing her children into poverty

violentblossom
12-02-09, 17:24
Exactly, it’s like she’s exploiting her children so she can get fame, then asking people to give her money to raise them.
Yeah, I find it funny Angelina is a multi- millionaire and adopts children who are from a poor background and in need of a loving family.
This woman is basically bringing her children into poverty

This would be hard enough with a partner.. but, according to Nadya Suleman, she'll be able to take care of her kids financially when she's done with her schooling.. my thoughts were, "Schooling?! Are you serious!?" How the flip is she going to pay for this schooling and how is she going to have time?!

I myself have one child and don't see myself being able to have time for school for a while yet, and i have my child's father living with me!

Larapink
12-02-09, 17:30
I just hope she takes care of all of them, with all the care that the children need. I am worried about how she's going to cope with 14 children on her own, it going to be a long hard time for her.

Also one thing I don't understand is why try IVF again, when she already has 6 children? Surely have just 6 children is a large enough family as it is.

*laralover*
12-02-09, 17:34
I think its ridiculous to be honest...6 kids and she wants more well ok but then you have that many...I dont understand how she could get IVF if she already had 6 :confused: I dont think the donations are right either because she should be able to care for her own children not taking handouts from other people. Some woman love kids so much though they just dont know when to stop :p Seriously though i dont agree with it but as long as those kids get a good life then thats ok.

Rileigh
12-02-09, 17:34
You don't want to know my feeling on this issue. :mad::mad: She is cruel and selfish and has no right to have those kids.

Gabi
12-02-09, 18:28
I don't know the full background story, but I think she should not have qualified for IVF in the first place. In my opinion this option should be available only to people who don't have children and can't conceive naturally or have tried in vain for a reasonable amount of time (and I am talking years here).
Did no one check out her circumstances? And if they did, how come she was allowed to have IVF?
I can't help but find it morally wrong.

Dark Lugia 2
12-02-09, 18:29
A single, unemployed mother with 6 children was allowed an IVF? :/

Draco
12-02-09, 18:43
Why does the state reward people for having children anyway?

Neteru
12-02-09, 19:05
Future tax payers and debtors.

Jo269976
12-02-09, 20:20
I think she had enough a few heads ago.

Little-Lara
13-02-09, 02:45
There's no way i'm payin for those kids for 18 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hea:

Feather Duster
13-02-09, 03:01
It's evidence right there. She can't take care of her children. She needs money from other people! What does that say to you? *ding ding ding!*

tranniversary119
13-02-09, 03:04
She probably watches TLC and see's the typical 17 kids and counting+Jon and Kate Plus 8 and thinks, "Oh maybe I can get money just like them..are maybe somebody will offer me my own show!"

Feather Duster
13-02-09, 03:04
She probably watches TLC and see's the typical 17 kids and counting+Jon and Kate Plus 8 and thinks, "Oh maybe I can get money just like them..are maybe somebody will offer me my own show!"

Yup

irjudd
13-02-09, 03:06
http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/O/B/epeightmisbehavin.jpg

Camera Obscura
13-02-09, 03:07
I saw an hour long interview with her the other day. I'm shocked that every time she was asked about money, she said "I'll pay it back once I finish school". And apparently she's living off of her student loans to pay for her children's needs. I really do respect the fact she wants to nurture and raise these children and show them love but she needs to stop living in this delusion that she can pay for it all when in reality she can't. In her current situation it would be best to give them (the octuplets) up for adoption because it's clear she won't be able to handle 14 growing children as a single unemployed parent. I just hope she comes to this realization soon on her own accord rather than it being thrown in her face when child protection services come for her children.

Quasimodo
13-02-09, 03:19
Ouch ouch ouch. (http://theblemish.com/images/2009/02/octomom-pregnant-500x486.jpg)

irjudd
13-02-09, 03:23
Ouch ouch ouch. (http://theblemish.com/images/2009/02/octomom-pregnant-500x486.jpg)
Some of me just died :(

Mr.LadyCroft
13-02-09, 03:29
That's so many kids, I couldn't imagine that.

Edit: That looks very painful, they would have to do surgery to her stomach right? A stomach shouldn't be stretched that much. Yikes!

Mr.Burns
13-02-09, 03:36
Keep it clean people. If you don't know what I'm referring to, then don't worry. :)

Jack Croft
13-02-09, 10:52

Absolutely. :)

They can get the care needed from people woh can cope with that amount of children. 14 with one mother is insane.

interstellardave
13-02-09, 12:08
ouch ouch ouch. (http://theblemish.com/images/2009/02/octomom-pregnant-500x486.jpg)

omg!!!

Jack Croft
13-02-09, 12:21

To be honest i fell kinda sick :(

Lara Croft!
13-02-09, 12:57
Having so many children without having a LOT of money and not even in a natural way is a crime!

ShadyCroft
13-02-09, 13:39
^^ I agree with you, Lora. May God be with those babies, unaware of their situation. :o

Jo269976
13-02-09, 13:43
I think it's also incredibly selfish, there are plenty of couples out there going through hell because they cannot concieve.

Andariel
13-02-09, 15:12
She still lives with her mother... wtf?!

ShadyCroft
13-02-09, 15:42
...and unemployed. :o

Mr.Burns
13-02-09, 15:47
She still lives with her mother... wtf?!While I don't agree with her actions in the slightest, we're not fully aware of the intricacies of her situation. What we do know is that she is unemployed, $50K in the hole with six kids. Now tell me, what would you do if you were in a similar situation? Honestly that attitude just reeks of ignorance. Sometimes living with a parent is the only means to prevent being homeless. Some cultures are very family oriented and it isn't unusual to find kids, parents, grandparents and in some cases, great grandparents living in the same home. Also, while this may not be a concept you can fully grasp, given the state of the economy, especially in the US, a lot of people in their mid to late 20's are living with their parents as a means to save money. I spent almost five years living with my mother after leaving college but I did so to keep an eye on her since her health is not in the best of conditions. Does that mean I deserve a wtf from you?

violentblossom
13-02-09, 16:13
While I don't agree with her actions in the slightest, we're not fully aware of the intricacies of her situation. What we do know is that she is unemployed, $50K in the hole with six kids. Now tell me, what would you do if you were in a similar situation? Honestly that attitude just reeks of ignorance. Sometimes living with a parent is the only means to prevent being homeless. Some cultures are very family oriented and it isn't unusual to find kids, parents, grandparents and in some cases, great grandparents living in the same home. Also, while this may not be a concept you can fully grasp, given the state of the economy, especially in the US, a lot of people in their mid to late 20's are living with their parents as a means to save money. I spent almost five years living with my mother after leaving college but I did so to keep an eye on her since her health is not in the best of conditions. Does that mean I deserve a wtf from you?

i know where Andariel was coming from.

IVF is really expensive.. i think she meant that if she doesn't have enough income or means to have her own place, then she shouldn't be taking part in IVF or trying to have so many kids.

Channy Tellie
13-02-09, 16:17
There's something dodgy about it.
Perhaps I think too much but it seems strange.

Why give her further treatment if she's already struggling with 6?

I find that extremely peculiar.
Surely that would drive a person into madness eventually.
Depression or something, from that many children to look after.

violentblossom
13-02-09, 17:06
http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/12/octomom-womb-raider/

Croft pun aside.. look what she was spending her money on yesterday. >.>

yeah.

she has no right to ask for donations.

Joely-Moley
13-02-09, 17:18
Did anyone else hear that she got surgery to look more like Angelina?
I don't necessarily believe it, at least I really wouldn't want to, but the before and after pictures are quite different.

Rai
13-02-09, 17:29

Shouldn't that be: ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch? :p

(sorry, couldn't resist :o)

Olabelle
13-02-09, 17:42
Frankly, I think the children should be taken away from her. The fact that she's living with her mother doesn't bother me, but the fact that she's unemployed, and mooching off the state and wanting donations does.

It makes me sick to see someone popping out kids just because they're 'lonely', then abusing IVF just to have more of them, when people like my cousin and her husband struggled for years just to have ONE child.

EmeraldFields
13-02-09, 17:47
What an irresponsible woman.:rolleyes:

mau3genius
13-02-09, 17:55
Raising 14 children to adulthood will cost in total around 1.5 million dollars.. so is it right for her to ask for donations?

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong of having tons of kids.
Hell I would love to have a huge family myself!
BUT. If you don't have the money to raise 'em well, then it's plain retarded.
Being driven by wants is not OK, or at least not on this particular case.
She wanted children, yeah, I can understand that.
But 14? And without economical means to cover them all?
:rolleyes:

EDIT. BTW, is it really 1.5 million dollars for raising 14 children?
Sounds like a small amount to me (for the situation that is)

Channy Tellie
13-02-09, 17:59

I find it very unusual however that she was allowed more treatment after the first lot. There should of been a stop in it at 6 children, especially considering her situation of no employment and how much of a strain anyway having 6 children is.

I do wonder how she can live with herself.
Then there is to consider how those children may be tagged later in their life. It's cruel really |:

violentblossom
13-02-09, 18:08

EDIT. BTW, is it really 1.5 million dollars for raising 14 children?
Sounds like a small amount to me (for the situation that is)

1.5 mil at the least, and that was not calculating specialty things for her children with disabilites.

Rai
13-02-09, 18:11
Cost of bringing up a child. Yes ONE child to adulthood. According to this site (http://www.uknetguide.co.uk/Finance/Article/Cost_Of_Bringing_Up_A_Child.html), parents are looking at £164,000 per child.:yik:

I think that adds up to more that 1.5 million dollars but the math and the exchange rate is beyond me. :o

da tomb raider!
13-02-09, 18:16
To be frank she sounds like a moron, and her kids should be taken away from her. She's unemplyed and living with her mother - she's not fit for raising kids.

Channy Tellie
13-02-09, 18:19
To be frank she sounds like a moron, and her kids should be taken away from her. She's unemplyed and living with her mother - she's not fit for raising kids.

Quite.

I know there are so many people desperate for 1 child to make a family and she's got plenty. That's extremely disrespectful in a way.

n00b raider
13-02-09, 18:33
It's totally unfair and irrisponsible what she did. I hope that no one helps her and that her children get taken away (I'm not wishing anything bad on the kids, though) and that she never sees them again. It's kind of vindictive, but that's what I really hope for to happen.

What makes me angry is that my mom in single, unemployed, and has a bad leg. She works all day, every day to keep the house in order (okay, that just made it sound like we live in a chaotic house, which we don't, not in the slightest). She needs a 20$ an hour job to keep afloat, but she can't get a decent job right because she's been self-employed her whole life, and you can't really get anything good unless you have a degree in something.
She's willing to work a more labour intensive job (homecare, home renovations), but once again, her entire leg is inflammed with burcitis, so it causes her extreme pain. The pills aren't working as well as they did, and the only way for it to heal is if she takes two months off from doign any weight lifting, which she can't. We tried getting welfare, but that was a complete waste of time. They would only give her 640$ a month, and if she earned anything, they would deduct it from that. What's wrong with this picture? :confused:

Anyways, so my mom works hard all day, and we only have another month before we're down to the wire, meanwhile all this woman is going to do is sit on her ass and live off of everybody else's money while she pumps kids out from between her legs.

So like I said, I hope she gets what's coming.